Grade the Jets Draft

Sarge4Tide

Grade the Draft  

148 members have voted

1. 1. Overall, for the entire draft, I give the Jets a grade of......

• A+
    • A
    • B+
    • B
    • C+
    • C
    • D+
    • D
    • F
    • F-
  2. 2. I give the selection of USC QB Sam Darnold in the 1st round a grade of.....

• A+
    • A
    • B+
    • B
    • C+
    • C
    • D+
    • D
    • F
    • F-
  3. 3. I give the selection of Nathan Shepherd DT Fort Hays St. in the 3rd round a grade of.....

• A+
    • A
    • B+
    • B
    • C+
    • C
    • D+
    • D
    • F
    • F-
  4. 4. I give the selection of Chris Herndon TE Miami in the 4th round a grade of.....

• A+
    • A
    • B+
    • B
    • C+
    • C
    • D+
    • D
    • F
    • F-
  5. 5. I give the selection of Parry Nickerson CB Tulane in the 6th round a grade of.....

• A+
    • A
    • B+
    • B
    • C+
    • C
    • D+
    • D
    • F
    • F-
  6. 6. I give the selection of Foley Fatukasi DT Connecticut in the 6th round a grade of.....

• A+
    • A
    • B+
    • B
    • C+
    • C
    • D+
    • D
    • F
    • F-

• Replies 116
  • Created
  • Last Reply

If you’re being fair it has to be an A or B overall, solely due to drafting Darnold.

But I am dumbfounded by the fact that we didn’t take any offensive linemen. Our line is poor in talent and very thin in depth. I would think Maccagnan would take some developmental guys and hope they pan out in a few years as Darnold grows into his role.

A-   They got Darnold, who ticks off all the right boxes but has done ugatz in the NFL.  Gave up a lot to get him.  And they get dinged again in next year's draft, so that factors in.  The rest of the draft was a throwaway. If they hit on any of those guys it is gravy.

13 minutes ago, Il Mostro said:

A-   They got Darnold, who ticks off all the right boxes but has done ugatz in the NFL.  Gave up a lot to get him.  And they get dinged again in next year's draft, so that factors in.  The rest of the draft was a throwaway. If they hit on any of those guys it is gravy.

It was well worth it, IMO.  If there is ever a position to gamble on, it's the QB.  We didn't even have to give a #1 to move up and we still ended up with the top QB prospect.  We still have holes but we'll figure that out going forward.  We have the key piece in place.

I voted A but overall I say A-

We landed one of the 2 best QB’s to come out of college since Andrew Luck (Wentz/Darnold). Everyone should be dancing their t!ts off over that one. Period.

Furthermore, we didn’t make any flashy picks after Darnold, but we retooled the DL with some high upside, lunch pail guys...added a well-rounded TE that projects as at least an adequate starter if healthy...grabbed a feisty nickel corner who I love in Nickerson, and then closed things out with a speedy RB/KR.

Not perfect, but damn close just with the selection of Darnold alone.

4 minutes ago, TuscanyTile2 said:

It was well worth it, IMO.  If there is ever a position to gamble on, it's the QB.  We didn't even have to give a #1 to move up and we still ended up with the top QB prospect.  We still have holes but we'll figure that out going forward.  We potentially have the key piece in place.

Fixed.  I agree and am hoping, while still being objective and realistic.

26 minutes ago, Sarge4Tide said:

Round 1
Sam Darnold QB USC

Round 3
Nathan Shepherd DT Fort Hays St.

Round 4
Chris Herndon TE Miami

Round 6
Parry Nickerson CB Tulane

Round 6
Foley Fatukasi DT Connecticut

Round 6
Trenton Cannon RB Virginia St.

I guess we have to add Henry Anderson to the list for a full evaluation

3 minutes ago, Villain The Foe said:

I gave the Darnold pick a B and the entire draft a D. 

That will change when we start respecting the Offensive Line. 

I think in a vacuum the draft was fine. We didn't reach and picked some athletic guys with upside. I don't hate any specific pick and a few of them could be key pieces. 

The separate glaring issue that's been the case of mac's tenure is an utter lack of understanding of how to build a complete roster. I'm not saying this was a good draft for OL and WR because it didn't seem to be, it's just a complete trend of continually picking cb, safety, DL, ilb on repeat. BPA is always those positions in every draft. Repeatedly draining draft capital on many positions that can be filled through FA or filled with replacement level players without much dropoff.

14 minutes ago, Villain The Foe said:

Name the 3rd round prospect that beats out carpenter this year that was available when they picked 

1 hour ago, Saul Goodman said:

If you’re being fair it has to be an A or B overall, solely due to drafting Darnold.

But I am dumbfounded by the fact that we didn’t take any offensive linemen. Our line is poor in talent and very thin in depth. I would think Maccagnan would take some developmental guys and hope they pan out in a few years as Darnold grows into his role.

Just pretend they drafted dozier this year 

26 minutes ago, Villain The Foe said:

Are we playing next week?? Plenty of things happening between now and the end of camp..

13 minutes ago, Larz said:

Name the 3rd round prospect that beats out carpenter this year that was available when they picked 

We've taken to offensive lineman in the draft the past 4 years. Both were 5th round picks. This isnt a "this year" problem. 

But to answer your question, I couldnt tell you any Olineman who was better than Carpenter whether they were a 1st or 3rd round pick given that prospects tend to separate themselves once on the field playing the game. 

However, there's nothing wrong with adding depth to an Oline that's shown not to be able to handle losing Brian Winters or benching Wesley Johnson. A prospect being Better than Carpenter or not isnt a good reason not to add depth, especially when none of the DT's we took I can prove is better than Starter Mclendon or back up Mike Pennel. At least we have a degree of depth at DT though. Cant say that about the Oline, which is my point. 

Archived