Grade the Jets Draft

Sarge4Tide

Grade the Draft  

148 members have voted

1. 1. Overall, for the entire draft, I give the Jets a grade of......

• A+
    • A
    • B+
    • B
    • C+
    • C
    • D+
    • D
    • F
    • F-
  2. 2. I give the selection of USC QB Sam Darnold in the 1st round a grade of.....

• A+
    • A
    • B+
    • B
    • C+
    • C
    • D+
    • D
    • F
    • F-
  3. 3. I give the selection of Nathan Shepherd DT Fort Hays St. in the 3rd round a grade of.....

• A+
    • A
    • B+
    • B
    • C+
    • C
    • D+
    • D
    • F
    • F-
  4. 4. I give the selection of Chris Herndon TE Miami in the 4th round a grade of.....

• A+
    • A
    • B+
    • B
    • C+
    • C
    • D+
    • D
    • F
    • F-
  5. 5. I give the selection of Parry Nickerson CB Tulane in the 6th round a grade of.....

• A+
    • A
    • B+
    • B
    • C+
    • C
    • D+
    • D
    • F
    • F-
  6. 6. I give the selection of Foley Fatukasi DT Connecticut in the 6th round a grade of.....

• A+
    • A
    • B+
    • B
    • C+
    • C
    • D+
    • D
    • F
    • F-

I give it an A. I thought we needed some more OLB help - but we, like most teams, mostly play nickel. I am glad we got a nickel type CB because Skrine is getting a little up there in age which can be scary for a guy who relies in quickness. I like the idea of loading up on DL on order to play many fronts and techniques. The OL already has some depth and competition to it. I really thought getting a center in this draft would be good - but we will have to see how things shake out.

Sent from my iPhone using JetNation.com mobile app

• Replies 116
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 minutes ago, Villain The Foe said:

We've taken to offensive lineman in the draft the past 4 years. Both were 5th round picks. This isnt a "this year" problem. 

But to answer your question, I couldnt tell you any Olineman who was better than Carpenter whether they were a 1st or 3rd round pick given that prospects tend to separate themselves once on the field playing the game. 

However, there's nothing wrong with adding depth to an Oline that's shown not to be able to handle losing Brian Winters or benching Wesley Johnson. A prospect being Better than Carpenter or not isnt a good reason not to add depth, especially when none of the DT's we took I can prove is better than Starter Mclendon or back up Mike Pennel. At least we have a degree of depth at DT though. Cant say that about the Oline, which is my point. 

Lol you can't name a guy?

This draft was pretty weak for oline help. 

There was nobody out there that was going to make the team. 

Beachum and shell are fine. Winters was hurt. Johnson was replaced by a good zone blocking center 

Braden and dozier need to step up 

Just pretend that they drafted Braden 

20 minutes ago, Jets Voice of Reason said:

I think in a vacuum the draft was fine. We didn't reach and picked some athletic guys with upside. I don't hate any specific pick and a few of them could be key pieces. 

The separate glaring issue that's been the case of mac's tenure is an utter lack of understanding of how to build a complete roster. I'm not saying this was a good draft for OL and WR because it didn't seem to be, it's just a complete trend of continually picking cb, safety, DL, ilb on repeat. BPA is always those positions in every draft. Repeatedly draining draft capital on many positions that can be filled through FA or filled with replacement level players without much dropoff.

Exactly. This is less about this particular free agency and draft. They're ignoring the offensive line and have been doing it this throughout their time here. 

Not drafting Olineman when depth is an obvious issue is unacceptable, especially when  the best we addressed it in free agency was replacing the worst Center in the league with the 2nd worse Center in the league in Swanson and an injury prone average at best Long. How many more years are we going to pay guys who cant produce like Dakota Dozier? 

47 minutes ago, Patriot Killa said:

I always imagine Eric Allen driving a ‘97 Volkswagen Golf and spending most of his free time changing the transmission fluid in the parking lot of his condo development despite repeated warnings from the board about leaving oil spots on the asphalt. 

1 hour ago, Savage69 said:

Are we playing next week?? Plenty of things happening between now and the end of camp..

And if things change next week, then so will my outlook. However, if you can tell the future then please, stop keeping me in suspense and allowing me to make a fool of myself by talking about what is currently going on with the team by not allowing me to take into consideration what you know will happen a week in the future.

32 minutes ago, Jets Voice of Reason said:

I think in a vacuum the draft was fine. We didn't reach and picked some athletic guys with upside. I don't hate any specific pick and a few of them could be key pieces. 

The separate glaring issue that's been the case of mac's tenure is an utter lack of understanding of how to build a complete roster. I'm not saying this was a good draft for OL and WR because it didn't seem to be, it's just a complete trend of continually picking cb, safety, DL, ilb on repeat. BPA is always those positions in every draft. Repeatedly draining draft capital on many positions that can be filled through FA or filled with replacement level players without much dropoff.

Gold, Jerry

32 minutes ago, Larz said:

Lol you can't name a guy?

This draft was pretty weak for oline help. 

There was nobody out there that was going to make the team. 

Beachum and shell are fine. Winters was hurt. Johnson was replaced by a good zone blocking center 

Braden and dozier need to step up 

Just pretend that they drafted Braden 

No, I cant name a guy. What's so funny about that? I couldnt name a guy in 2015, 16, 17 and now 18. But you know what? We drafted a 5th round pick in Brandon Shell....and today he's our Starter, replacing Breno Giacomini who's no longer on the team. Shell started off as depth. He wasn't better than Giacomini when we drafted him, but today he's our starter so what is your point really? 

This position of yours makes no sense and you know it because you know I couldnt answer the question with any level of certainty. However, that goes for any prospect during any round. Even if this was the 1st round I couldnt answer the question because I couldnt tell you with absolute certainty that Quinton Nelson is the next great thing or the next Chance Warmack. 

However, using the question as a way to validate not providing young/fresh talent to an already heavily depleted Oline that ranked 30th in Oline rankings is just as sensible as supporting your position by saying that this is a pretty weak Oline draft.

If that's the case then packaging this years draft picks to move up could have worked. Will Hernandez, a guy ranked as a 1st round talent was drafted in the 2nd round. Seems like other folks find talent yet the Jets make excuses. 

This isnt the only draft, it's not like we only needed Oline help this year. We've had 1st, 2nd and 3rd round picks every year since Macc was the GM. You telling me we had sh*t depth Olineman every year for 4 years? 

23 minutes ago, T0mShane said:

I always imagine Eric Allen driving a ‘97 Volkswagen Golf and spending most of his free time changing the transmission fluid in the parking lot of his condo development despite repeated warnings from the board about leaving oil spots on the asphalt. 

Larry David is that you, my man!!!!

Mccagnan always says he takes BAP but this draft was need-driven.  Replaced Wilkerson and sheldon and shrine.  Needed a 3rd down rb to replace Powell.  Needed a real TE.  Needed a qb.  

Overall only one true impact player but he could be awesome.  If most of the other guys contribute this will wind up being the draft that turns it around.

Remember this was still year 2 of the ‘real’ rebuild, so there are still a few key needs remaining.

20 minutes ago, Warfish said:

A for round one.

F for the rest.

I support this. We should have used this draft to support and protect Sam Darnold. Numerous folks asked the question "what Olineman were worth our late draft picks"? Well, Tackle Orlando Brown was taken by the Ravens in the 3rd round. He was viewed as a 1st round talent before the combine. Sure, his stock dropped because of the combine, but the kid still had game footage...and analyst viewed that footage and based it as 1st round quality. He was available in the 3rd round when we took a 25 year old Defensive tackle who's 2 years older than Leonard Williams, a guy we drafted 4 years ago

Orlando Brown wasn't worth a 3rd round flyer over a 25 year old DT that hasn't even faced the level of competition that Big Cat faced when he was at USC??? We have a LT who's injury prone and a RT who's still learning. 

For those folks who ask the question about taking Olineman with our later draft picks, I ask you guys...Can you provide me with a reason why Nathan Shepard was more of a need and a help to Sam Darnold than Orlando Brown? 

@Larz

5 minutes ago, Villain The Foe said:

I support this. We should have used this draft to support and protect Sam Darnold. Numerous folks asked the question "what Olineman were worth our late draft picks"? Well, Tackle Orlando Brown was taken by the Ravens in the 3rd round. He was viewed as a 1st round talent before the combine. Sure, his stock dropped because of the combine, but the kid still had game footage...and analyst viewed that footage and based it as 1st round quality. He was available in the 3rd round when we took a 25 year old Defensive tackle who's 2 years older than Leonard Williams, a guy we drafted 4 years ago

Orlando Brown wasn't worth a 3rd round flyer over a 25 year old DT that hasn't even faced the level of competition that Big Cat faced when he was at USC??? We have a LT who's injury prone and a RT who's still learning. 

For those folks who ask the question about taking Olineman with our later draft picks, I ask you guys...Can you provide me with a reason why Nathan Shepard was more of a need and a help to Sam Darnold than Orlando Brown? 

@Larz

Brown is a joke. Biggest job interview in his life and he was too busy eating cheetos to work out 

Get out here with fat ass brown lol

6 minutes ago, Larz said:

Brown is a joke. Biggest job interview in his life and he was too busy eating cheetos to work out 

Get out here with fat ass brown lol

EXACTLY why your question is irrelevant. You asked a question, his combine was horrible but the game isnt played in underwear. His tape showed 1st round quality and everyone was on board before the combine when he dropped. the bottomline is that you call him a joke, yet a GM who BY MANY is considered to be arguably the best GM in the LEAGUE took him. 

Ozzie Newsome drafting him show's that he understands value and I'll side with Ozzie Newsome over your totally prepared response based on a question that you in all honesty didn't want an answer to. 

1 minute ago, Villain The Foe said:

EXACTLY why your question is irrelevant. You asked a question, his combine was horrible but the game isnt played in underwear. His tape showed 1st round quality and everyone was on board before the combine when he dropped. the bottomline is that, you call him a joke, yet a GM who BY MANY is considered to be arguably the best GM in the LEAGUE took him. 

Ozzie Newsome drafting him show's that he understands value and I'll side with Ozzie Newsome over your totally prepared response based on a question that you in all honesty didn't want an answer to. 

That was a legacy pick 

Get off your soapbox nobody cares lol

Just now, Villain The Foe said:

Great response....again.

And next year, I won't have to care when this front office is finally fired. 

The ******* rosters are totally different. Your argument is moronic 

Just now, Villain The Foe said:

The only thing moronic are the questions defending not drafting olinemen as if talent wasn't there to be drafted. 

Get off your soapbox. 

Dline was a much bigger need 

Deal with it 

Just now, Larz said:

Dline was a much bigger need 

Deal with it 

I am, and expressing my opinion as I deal with it. 

One of the things I express is waiting for this front office to be fired next year....which should have happened this year. 

Funny how we go from "What talent was there to be drafted" to "They're completely different rosters". lol. 

haha. 

lmao. 

This draft shows the difference between GM's who know what they're doing and GM's who dont. 

So when folks see how Rosters are developed and formed, that's a direct reflection on the performance of the GM. 

The NY Jets have given away more defensive lineman the past 4 years than we've drafted Olineman or signed in free agency.  Yet we consistently need defensive lineman. And I dont even want to get into the amount of free agents and draft picks we invested into Defensive Backs. 

Mike Maccagnan is a terrible GM. 

As with all drafts , I give it an incomplete. We have no way of knowing how these players will pan out.

From a hope perspective its a dream and you gotta give it an A as we may finally have a QB.   Then I wake up in a cold sweat and realize Doug Pedersen is not our HC and Todd Bowles is. 

8 minutes ago, Villain The Foe said:

I am, and expressing my opinion as I deal with it. 

One of the things I express is waiting for this front office to be fired next year....which should have happened this year. 

Funny how we go from "What talent was there to be drafted" to "They're completely different rosters". lol. 

haha. 

lmao. 

Jesus 

Woody said that wins didn't matter. The expectation was 0 wins. The Jets won 5 games. Who the **** is coming to coach if you fire them after that with hack and petty and the 6th pick? 

NOBODY 

now that you have the QB you can recruit free agents and coaches. Now they have to develop Darnold or then you fire them when you can actually attract quality candidates

Carpenter is the guy who needs to be upgraded and you bring up fat **** brown a ******* LT

lmao indeed 

Just now, Larz said:

Jesus 

Woody said that wins didn't matter. The expectation was 0 wins. The Jets won 5 games. Who the **** is coming to coach if you fire them after that with hack and petty and the 6th pick? 

NOBODY 

now that you have the QB you can recruit free agents and coaches. Now they have to develop Darnold or then you fire them when you can actually attract quality candidates

Carpenter is the guy who needs to be upgraded and you bring up fat **** brown a ******* LT

lmao indeed 

TL:DR

I've proven my point and have moved on from you. 

Darnold is a home run. The rest is...confusing. All the non-Darnold picks are big-time athletes, which is great, but the allocation of resources is nothing short of bizarre. Did anyone come out of last season thinking the defensive line was such an issue that we needed to dedicate three picks to fixing it? Especially when we spent one pick each on TE and RB and none at all on OL or EDGE? It just doesn’t seem like there’s any coherent plan in place. Assuming Darnold is the real deal, the Super Bowl window is 2019-2022, and to prep for that, we’re...loading up on defensive line depth. There’s also the fact that we’re now three-plus offseasons into this regime, and all available evidence suggests that they’re constitutionally indifferent about upgrading at both offensive line and edge rusher, which is, shall we say, sub-optimal.

I’ll go with a B for the draft.

Round 1 A didn’t think he’d be there.

Round 3&4 D- I think the Jets should have swung for need Brown and Sweat would have been my picks. Shepard and Herndon are a bit of odd picks for me. Especially since we traded for another DL. And have an injured TE from last years draft.

Round 6 A- they did what you should do at the end of the draft. Take guys with a special trait. You can’t teach speed. Two of the guys seem to fit that bill. I don’t expect much from a 6 round pick but they made the right calls on these three.

6 minutes ago, dbatesman said:

Darnold is a home run. The rest is...confusing. All the non-Darnold picks are big-time athletes, which is great, but the allocation of resources is nothing short of bizarre. Did anyone come out of last season thinking the defensive line was such an issue that we needed to dedicate three picks to fixing it? Especially when we spent one pick each on TE and RB and none at all on OL or EDGE? It just doesn’t seem like there’s any coherent plan in place. Assuming Darnold is the real deal, the Super Bowl window is 2019-2022, and to prep for that, we’re...loading up on defensive line depth. There’s also the fact that we’re now three-plus offseasons into this regime, and all available evidence suggests that they’re constitutionally indifferent about upgrading at both offensive line and edge rusher, which is, shall we say, sub-optimal.

Wtf? If Darnold is legit the window is 2019-2035

8 minutes ago, kthisguy said:

I’ll go with a B for the draft.

Round 1 A didn’t think he’d be there.

Round 3&4 D- I think the Jets should have swung for need Brown and Sweat would have been my picks. Shepard and Herndon are a bit of odd picks for me. Especially since we traded for another DL. And have an injured TE from last years draft.

Round 6 A- they did what you should do at the end of the draft. Take guys with a special trait. You can’t teach speed. Two of the guys seem to fit that bill. I don’t expect much from a 6 round pick but they made the right calls on these three.

Shepherd and Herndon were more need based picks than BPA but then again same could be said for Darnold who was a home run

Just now, dbatesman said:

If he’s legit he’ll be making $35 million per by 2023 and the rest of the team will be in the crapper.

If that’s the case he will have won us our first super bowl in 50+ years I’ll gladly take that

Archived