Jump to content

Grade the Jets Draft


Grade the Draft  

148 members have voted

  1. 1. Overall, for the entire draft, I give the Jets a grade of......

    • A+
      19
    • A
      35
    • B+
      27
    • B
      40
    • C+
      18
    • C
      6
    • D+
      0
    • D
      2
    • F
      1
    • F-
      0
  2. 2. I give the selection of USC QB Sam Darnold in the 1st round a grade of.....

    • A+
      101
    • A
      36
    • B+
      8
    • B
      3
    • C+
      0
    • C
      0
    • D+
      0
    • D
      0
    • F
      0
    • F-
      0
  3. 3. I give the selection of Nathan Shepherd DT Fort Hays St. in the 3rd round a grade of.....

    • A+
      2
    • A
      8
    • B+
      34
    • B
      51
    • C+
      20
    • C
      20
    • D+
      6
    • D
      4
    • F
      0
    • F-
      3
  4. 4. I give the selection of Chris Herndon TE Miami in the 4th round a grade of.....

    • A+
      2
    • A
      13
    • B+
      24
    • B
      57
    • C+
      22
    • C
      14
    • D+
      7
    • D
      7
    • F
      2
    • F-
      0
  5. 5. I give the selection of Parry Nickerson CB Tulane in the 6th round a grade of.....

    • A+
      8
    • A
      30
    • B+
      37
    • B
      43
    • C+
      7
    • C
      17
    • D+
      1
    • D
      3
    • F
      2
    • F-
      0
  6. 6. I give the selection of Foley Fatukasi DT Connecticut in the 6th round a grade of.....

    • A+
      3
    • A
      7
    • B+
      18
    • B
      44
    • C+
      22
    • C
      28
    • D+
      8
    • D
      12
    • F
      5
    • F-
      1


Recommended Posts

  • Replies 116
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

A+++++++ Sam Darnold is all that matters. 

I grade our draft 5 "Macc drinking coffee's" out of 5.

An A. We have a QB...period Sent from my iPhone using JetNation.com mobile app

Posted Images

12 minutes ago, dbatesman said:

Darnold is a home run. The rest is...confusing. All the non-Darnold picks are big-time athletes, which is great, but the allocation of resources is nothing short of bizarre. Did anyone come out of last season thinking the defensive line was such an issue that we needed to dedicate three picks to fixing it? Especially when we spent one pick each on TE and RB and none at all on OL or EDGE? It just doesn’t seem like there’s any coherent plan in place. Assuming Darnold is the real deal, the Super Bowl window is 2019-2022, and to prep for that, we’re...loading up on defensive line depth. There’s also the fact that we’re now three-plus offseasons into this regime, and all available evidence suggests that they’re constitutionally indifferent about upgrading at both offensive line and edge rusher, which is, shall we say, sub-optimal.

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, dbatesman said:

If he’s legit he’ll be making $35 million per by 2023 and the rest of the team will be in the crapper.

That's what people are missing out on. A good rookie contract qb is such a massive competitive advantage. Qbs are gonna get paid and guess what, the salary cap is not going to expand like it had since the last cba. Contracts are adjusting to it. Everyone has funny money now, but that's not going to last forever. 

  • Upvote 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

I give the draft a B... But my God I am so so disappointed we didn't get any offensive line help. We couldn't find one OL guy? Even a project player?

The weakness of the OL is going to show up this year. I think it's going to become the talk of the season. No running lanes, lots of sacks and pressures, no time to throw... I think it's going to become to story of the season and be the talk of next years draft.

So I'm disappointed about that.. But I like the guys they got. I think they'll be solid NFL players...

But no OL help is going to really hurt this year.

  • Upvote 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, DMan77 said:

I give the draft a B... But my God I am so so disappointed we didn't get any offensive line help. We couldn't find one OL guy? Even a project player?

The weakness of the OL is going to show up this year. I think it's going to become the talk of the season. No running lanes, lots of sacks and pressures, no time to throw... I think it's going to become to story of the season and be the talk of next years draft.

So I'm disappointed about that.. But I like the guys they got. I think they'll be solid NFL players...

But no OL help is going to really hurt this year.

If Beachum stays healthy (yes, big IF) our OL isn’t that bad.  Carpenter it looks like they are keeping which I think is the right move.  They upgraded at Center with Long

 

Not a great OL but not our 2005 crapshow either

Link to post
Share on other sites
29 minutes ago, dbatesman said:

Darnold is a home run. The rest is...confusing. All the non-Darnold picks are big-time athletes, which is great, but the allocation of resources is nothing short of bizarre. Did anyone come out of last season thinking the defensive line was such an issue that we needed to dedicate three picks to fixing it? Especially when we spent one pick each on TE and RB and none at all on OL or EDGE? It just doesn’t seem like there’s any coherent plan in place. Assuming Darnold is the real deal, the Super Bowl window is 2019-2022, and to prep for that, we’re...loading up on defensive line depth. There’s also the fact that we’re now three-plus offseasons into this regime, and all available evidence suggests that they’re constitutionally indifferent about upgrading at both offensive line and edge rusher, which is, shall we say, sub-optimal.

Kind of a reality check after thursday that this is the same guy who drafted leo into mo and sheldon, then an undersized ilb, and then two safeties back to back a year later.

Not to mention they are all coached by a dickless game manager who can't control the clock and thinks we somehow our offensive issues were that we passed too much. 

I actually like a few of the guys we took quite a lot, but it scares me because i know all their replacements are going to be drafted again next year. 

  • Upvote 1
  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
If Beachum stays healthy (yes, big IF) our OL isn’t that bad.  Carpenter it looks like they are keeping which I think is the right move.  They upgraded at Center with Long
 
Not a great OL but not our 2005 crapshow either


I guess this is why I was not thrilled with the pick in the third. The Jets have a ton of holes. The Oline has a lot of “ifs”. If Beachum stays healthy, if Winters is 100% if we keep Carpenter (that one looks like we can scratch off the ifs). Long is obviously better than Johnson but is he long term? He’s not Mangold. With all the if working out our line isn’t that bad. That is not good enough for a rookie QB. I mean if they decide to red shirt Darnold I get this draft and would be much more comfortable going into the season.



Sent from my iPhone using JetNation.com mobile app
  • Upvote 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, kthisguy said:

 


I guess this is why I was not thrilled with the pick in the third. The Jets have a ton of holes. The Oline has a lot of “ifs”. If Beachum stays healthy, if Winters is 100% if we keep Carpenter (that one looks like we can scratch off the ifs). Long is obviously better than Johnson but is he long term? He’s not Mangold. With all the if working out our line isn’t that bad. That is not good enough for a rookie QB. I mean if they decide to red shirt Darnold I get this draft and would be much more comfortable going into the season.



Sent from my iPhone using JetNation.com mobile app

 

We have depth at Guard and RT with Qvale who is decent and can play multiple positions 

 

Left Tackle we have no depth

Link to post
Share on other sites

Still nuts to think we actually got Darnold.

Dude is Tony Romo with a clutch gene.

Brett Favre-lite

I totally agree that the OL needs to be addressed as soon as possible, but with the way the chips fell, this wasn’t the year to do it. The cupboard was essentially barren on quality OL by the time #72 rolled around, much less the 4th, 5th and 6th rounds and so on.

The Jets get a Luck/Wentz-esque prospect at QB in Darnold, completely retooled the DL with 3 quality young players (Anderson, Shepherd, Foley) without having to invest premium resources, grabbed an all-around TE like Herndon who can block and be a solid security blanket in the short/intermediate passing game, a potential Skrine replacement a year from now, and added a shifty fast kid who can return kicks and compete with Stewart/Roberts/McGuire/Rawls for a roster spot.

Not bad by any stretch of the imagination.

Though I wish Macc could’ve traded one of our 6th rounders for a 2019 5th round pick like he did last year with Dallas.

  • Post of the Week 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

If Darnold is a 10 year starter, and if we got one other pick who starts for the next 5 or 6 years, we had a very successful draft.

I remember the year when we drafted Revis at #16, and David Harris in the second round.  I can't remember anyone else we drafted that round, but that draft was a huge success IMO.

Another year, we drafted D'Brick and Mangold in the same draft, and I couldn't tell you who else we drafted that year, but again, a huge success.

If Darnold is one of these types of players, then in my mind we only need one other hit for this year to be a huge success.

Link to post
Share on other sites
We have depth at Guard and RT with Qvale who is decent and can play multiple positions 
 
Left Tackle we have no depth

Would you really trust Qvale for any extended time protecting a rookie QB? He is fine as a guy you use in a pinch but with all the “ifs” on the line it could be disastrous. I guess I just still have real concerns about the OL.


Sent from my iPhone using JetNation.com mobile app
Link to post
Share on other sites

If the JEts had drafted the OL Brown in the third, I could have lived with the bagful of mediocre we got the rest of the way out.

That third round pick, yet another D-Lineman, yet another "Oh look, MAcc thinks he's smarter than everyone, again" style pick, another wtf moment....

Make that one change, and instead of being happy about Darnold and pissed off about how bad a draft manager Macc is, I'd just be happy.

Franchise QB, and a big man to help protect him.  Not a man whose best work was in shorts, but whose best work was on film, in games.

Thats all it would have taken to make ME happy tbqh.  One O-Lineman instead of one ultra-reach 25 year old Ju-Co DLineman no one else was drafted anywhere near that spot....

  • Upvote 1
  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites

Breaking news 

Jets draft Travis Swanson in the 8th round. This player has played center and guard. 

In the rare 9th round of the draft the Jets drafted tackle / guard Ben Braden 

Everybody good now? 

  • Thumb Down 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, Saul Goodman said:

If you’re being fair it has to be an A or B overall, solely due to drafting Darnold.

But I am dumbfounded by the fact that we didn’t take any offensive linemen. Our line is poor in talent and very thin in depth. I would think Maccagnan would take some developmental guys and hope they pan out in a few years as Darnold grows into his role.

 

Yeah I can't understand how Orlando Brown was less value than whatshisname 

Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, SoCalFan said:

New Jets fan now.  My son has been one of Sam’s roommates the past two years as well as a teammate.  Sam is a terrific young man and I hope he brings many championships to you.

Welcome to the board. Be real: does Sam smoke mad weed or what. 

  • Haha 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, SoCalFan said:

New Jets fan now.  My son has been one of Sam’s roommates the past two years as well as a teammate.  Sam is a terrific young man and I hope he brings many championships to you.

 “Son of Sam(‘s roommate)”  :)

J/K.  Welcome aboard! 

And even though we're just getting to know him, from early returns, Sam does seem like a humble, nice kid:

 

Jets bring NFL Draft day, Sam Darnold to Goryeb Children's Hospital

https://www.dailyrecord.com/story/sports/nfl/2018/04/28/new-york-jets-nfl-draft-sam-darnold-goryeb-childrens-hospital-morristown/547286002/

 

 

Below is a video of him arriving in Newark Airport for the first time as part of the Jets.  He acted humble and nice to the fans.  He seems very even-keeled.

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, dbatesman said:

Also, for the love of ****, stop drafting old guys

This is the main thing that I’ve been hung up on with Mac. He’s drafted at least 6 “older” players. If college isn’t developing players NFL ready and there are a lack of OTAs, at least draft the younger guys and develope them properly. Not break habits that they already have since they are already middle aged. 

  • Upvote 1
  • Post of the Week 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

I was looking up QBs in Jets' history and came across this about Matt Robinson.  Goes to show how the draft must have been viewed back then as opposed to now:

 

https://www.thesportster.com/football/ranking-all-43-starting-qbs-in-new-york-jets-history/

image.png

 

The Denver 1st round pick was packaged with the Jets' own pick to jump up to #2 overall, where we took the infamous Johnny Lam Jones.

image.png

The 2nd round pick we received from Denver was used on a WR named Ralph Clayton, who never played in a regular season game for us:

image.png

Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.




×
×
  • Create New...