Grade the Jets Draft

Sarge4Tide

Grade the Draft  

148 members have voted

1. 1. Overall, for the entire draft, I give the Jets a grade of......

• A+
    • A
    • B+
    • B
    • C+
    • C
    • D+
    • D
    • F
    • F-
  2. 2. I give the selection of USC QB Sam Darnold in the 1st round a grade of.....

• A+
    • A
    • B+
    • B
    • C+
    • C
    • D+
    • D
    • F
    • F-
  3. 3. I give the selection of Nathan Shepherd DT Fort Hays St. in the 3rd round a grade of.....

• A+
    • A
    • B+
    • B
    • C+
    • C
    • D+
    • D
    • F
    • F-
  4. 4. I give the selection of Chris Herndon TE Miami in the 4th round a grade of.....

• A+
    • A
    • B+
    • B
    • C+
    • C
    • D+
    • D
    • F
    • F-
  5. 5. I give the selection of Parry Nickerson CB Tulane in the 6th round a grade of.....

• A+
    • A
    • B+
    • B
    • C+
    • C
    • D+
    • D
    • F
    • F-
  6. 6. I give the selection of Foley Fatukasi DT Connecticut in the 6th round a grade of.....

• A+
    • A
    • B+
    • B
    • C+
    • C
    • D+
    • D
    • F
    • F-

• Replies 116
  • Created
  • Last Reply

From Dane Brugler, one of the scouts on Twitter whom I really respect. Gave the jets his 2nd favorite draft class. A lot to be hopeful about here.

https://www.themaven.net/nfldraftscout/news/brugler-favorite-5-teams-in-2018-draft-WnUV2b_oQE6ifq88h2ALLQ/?full=1

2 -- New York Jets

1 (3) - Sam Darnold, QB, USC

3 (72) - Nathan Shepherd, DT, Fort Hays State

4 (107) - Chris Herndon, TE, Miami

6 (179) - Parry Nickerson, CB, Tulane

6 (180) - Foley Fatukasi, DT, Connecticut

6 (204) - Trenton Cannon, RB, Virginia State

The Jets traded away their second-round picks, but it landed them the best quarterback in the draft. Darnold goes to a situation where he won't be forced onto the field from Day 1 and will learn from veteran Josh McCown. Shepherd is older and comes from the Division-II level, but he wins with power and quickness and will push for starting reps during his rookie season. If not for a late season knee injury, Herndon would have been a top-100 draft pick. Nickerson is undersized, but he has ball production and speed, projecting best in the nickel. Fatukasi earned a spot on my top-100 draft board and the Jets got him at No. 180 overall. Between him and Shepherd, New York landed two of my favorite interior defensive line prospects this year. Cannon was a joy to watch on film with his shifty athleticism that made defenses look silly.

I gave it a B overall. We got our franchise QB, and I like the TE/CB signings a lot. The DTs look pretty good and should do fine but the DT in the 3rd may have slipped so I graded that a lower grade pick (C range).

20 minutes ago, Drums said:

I gave it a B overall. We got our franchise QB, and I like the TE/CB signings a lot. The DTs look pretty good and should do fine but the DT in the 3rd may have slipped so I graded that a lower grade pick (C range).

Any draft where you get your FQB has to be an A+ in my book.  

Got lucky Darnold dropped, but give credit to Mac for making the pick and his sweet spot seems to be the 6th round so they loaded up there - B overall 

Much better options in the 3rd round vs the sleeper DL pick from BFE - actual needs sitting there like OT Orlando Brown and DE Sam Hubbard - easy picks unless you are trying to outsmart yourself

Drafted an injured TE in the 4th and traded a 7th for an injured DL - nothing to get excited about except for Sam, I am

Grading the Jets' draft on the players' names

Sam Darnold:  A+

If I were being fair about this, I'd probably give this name about a "C" but I can't judge his name fairly because I'm thrilled he's on the team

Nathan Sheperd: D+

I know it's spelled differently but I still can't help but think of a shepherd's job being to herd sheep.

Chris Herndon IV: B+

Sounds more like a baseball player's name to me but he gets the better grade for being a "the fourth".

Folorunso "Foley" Fatukasi: A+

How a name like this fell into the 6th round is almost criminal!  Great job Macc!

Parry Nickerson: A

I've never heard the name "Parry" before but it just sounds right.  A great sounding name for a CB!

Trenton Cannon: A

Perfect name for a speedster RB.

Archived