Wait, this is supposed to be his worst game?

nico002

Are people serious? I could not be more impressed with the kid watching that. His OLine was dominated yet he somehow extended play after play.

there are at least 10 throws in that game that 9/10 nfl QBs can’t make. Seriously he’s one of the most accurate QBs I’ve ever seen...

Anyway, this game sold me more than any other I’ve seem on this kid.

• Replies 79
  • Created
  • Last Reply

i watched a few of those games, Texas, Stanford, Penn State, Ohio state...he def has flaws...but if people cant see the potential, there is nothing to discuss. Darnold needs to get with an NFL OL, work on timing with his receivers, and work on his feet in the pocket....thats it. i dont buy the throwing mechanics thing...he is a ******* stud. he can make 4-5 throws a game that only 3-5 NFL QB's can make.

He was absolutely brutalized by the rush, which hurt him, and caused bad decisions under pressure.

But I saw some throws in that game that left me in that "Holy sh*t" state. 

If that's the worst we'll get, then I'm a happy man. 

4 minutes ago, LAD_Brooklyn said:

All I know is he better beat Allen and the Bills or else we're going to hear some semi trolling from me. 

BC28EAD4-9515-4234-AAC6-A4CB0625B124.thumb.jpeg.df7e1fd801bd2b148c51a09fc4453adc.jpeg

Josh Allen will be notorious for hitting fans in the stands on missed fly routes 

18 minutes ago, k-met57 said:

i watched a few of those games, Texas, Stanford, Penn State, Ohio state...he def has flaws...but if people cant see the potential, there is nothing to discuss. Darnold needs to get with an NFL OL, work on timing with his receivers, and work on his feet in the pocket....thats it. i dont buy the throwing mechanics thing...he is a ******* stud. he can make 4-5 throws a game that only 3-5 NFL QB's can make.

I'd say he's pretty damn advanced for his age.

Lots of names mentioned as comparison, but i'd say he reminds me a bit of carson palmer. With more athleticism.

No guarantee of improvement though, gotta see it to believe it. But the signs are encouraging, as he's a hard working guy.

32 minutes ago, k-met57 said:

Agree 100%. You think the jets will get an NFL Oline after next year’s FA/draft ?

Agree 100%. You think the jets will get an NFL Oline after next year’s FA/draft ?

I don’t mind the jets OL. Can you point out one game last year where they clearly lost us the game? Mind you we had a AAA center and both guards were hurt.

34 minutes ago, k-met57 said:

I've been saying this throughout the draft. Sam Darnold won't meet his potential if he's running for his life. But you know, we need more defensive tackles. 

4 minutes ago, k-met57 said:

I don’t mind the jets OL. Can you point out one game last year where they clearly lost us the game? Mind you we had a AAA center and both guards were hurt.

Come on bro lol. Ranked near dead last and were a actually pretty healthy compared to league ave. It’s only going to get worse. We have guys on the down, not up. 

42C848B7-9F3E-4D4F-87BC-BDCC0E539F94.png

Come on bro lol. Ranked near dead last and were a actually pretty healthy compared to league ave. It’s only going to get worse. We have goes on the down, not up. 
42C848B7-9F3E-4D4F-87BC-BDCC0E539F94.thumb.png.b68d3a3381814e00bd6bfc18cd46cc81.png

Listen we need to get the line better, and it don’t stop there. I just don’t want to pretend like they got abused last year by the rest of the league. Those guys played hard and for me (regardless of PFF) they were not the reason we were 5-11. Put it this way, if Darnold had to play behind Beachum, healthy winters, long, Carpenter and shell I would not be “scared for him”. Tomlinson is also a great blocker.

Btw PFF has the browns OL as 14th best ahead of Jax.

21 minutes ago, k-met57 said:

I don’t think the line is quite as bad as some are saying, but they were manhandled in the Tampa and Denver games. Long should be a major upgrade over Wesley Johnson and winters played hurt all year, so the hope is the line will be improved. Carpenter was not good last year, maybe dozier can push for his job? Have to hope shell improves also.

I don’t think the line is quite as bad as some are saying, but they were manhandled in the Tampa and Denver games. Long should be a major upgrade over Wesley Johnson and winters played hurt all year, so the hope is the line will be improved. Carpenter was not good last year, maybe dozier can push for his job? Have to hope shell improves also.

I like carpenter. Have to give him a shot to be a monster again next to a legit center. WJ was poo.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

21 minutes ago, k-met57 said:

Listen we need to get the line better, and it don’t stop there. I just don’t want to pretend like they got abused last year by the rest of the league. Those guys played hard and for me (regardless of PFF) they were not the reason we were 5-11. Put it this way, if Darnold had to play behind Beachum, healthy winters, long, Carpenter and shell I would not be “scared for him”. Tomlinson is also a great blocker.

Lol. So the browns had a good line, and that’s it. Ok lol. At least they have a strong line for mayfield to step into. I’m not asking for us to have top 5, top10 even OL in NFL. That will NEVER happen under Bowles. We all can agree now Sam darnold is BY FAR the most important player, person in the building now. It’s not Adams, Bowles, Mac, ect.  It was ok when you do not have a franchise qb. My point is we have to change the mentality now. Bowles D is not the most important part of our team Anymore. And it won’t be from here on for hopefully next 15 years. 

1 hour ago, LAD_Brooklyn said:

All I know is he better beat Allen and the Bills or else we're going to hear some semi trolling from me. 

BC28EAD4-9515-4234-AAC6-A4CB0625B124.thumb.jpeg.df7e1fd801bd2b148c51a09fc4453adc.jpeg

They'll both be good. The qb that busts will be Mayfield. Rosen is pretty limited because of his arm talent/speed so it will be interesting to see how he does with that. Maybe he'll get a stronger arm in the weight room though.

1 hour ago, nico002 said:

Are people serious? I could not be more impressed with the kid watching that. His OLine was dominated yet he somehow extended play after play.

there are at least 10 throws in that game that 9/10 nfl QBs can’t make. Seriously he’s one of the most accurate QBs I’ve ever seen...

Anyway, this game sold me more than any other I’ve seem on this kid.

It wasn't the worst game of all time, but his INT weren't because of his Oline, but because it was a bad throw. He threw the pass with no defender anywhere near him yet didn't see the DB that was reading him the entire time. His fumble is also because of poor security of the football. At the 3:19 mark he also takes a bad sack based on the lack of pre-snap read and adjusting his protections. It was clear that he had 5 Olineman and Ohio St. is showing a 6 man rush. He didn't slide his Oline protection to the left while assigning his RB to pick up the edge to his right. Instead he knew the protection assignment, therefore allowing a free rusher on his left for the sack. If he wasn't going to adjust the assignment he could have just called a timeout given that USC had all 3 timeouts and it was still the 1st half. 

With that said, Sam Darnold in this game proved that he can make borderline Elite NFL throws, throws that I've not seen Christian Hackenberg make no matter the amount of tape I seen on him. Sam Darnold is a really good prospect, but he has flaws....albeit flaws that can be fixed. 

51 minutes ago, k-met57 said:

Yes, they are not that good, but ive seen worse.  The Giants for example. Where were they ranked?

1 hour ago, Villain The Foe said:

I've been saying this throughout the draft. Sam Darnold won't meet his potential if he's running for his life. But you know, we need more defensive tackles. 

Glad somebody else gets it. Olineman are not the most exciting picks. But win championships. We had a all-star Oline in 09and 10. We just had a bad qb. They made Sanchez look much better than he was. Why he was a 3rd stringer on a non all-star OL. Darnold was amazing 2 years ago. Under a strong OL. His last yr he had a bad OL and then had a shhhitload of turnovers. You think Mac would say “ ok lets get this kid a strong OL, not a sh*tty one we currently have, like he had last yr” 

Well, remembering back to when P. Manning began, his Oline and Skill position players were worse than ours and he of course struggled with them. But, then each year the Colts added/focused a lot on Oline(guys like Saturday), WRs(like Harrison), RBs(Faulk, Addai, etc.), great FBs/TEs, etc. Jets will start doing the same with Darnold since now with the pick we invested in him this will be a mandate. You may even see more resources there than on the D as time goes forward and that is what is to be expected sine we will hopefully be more Offensive oriented in a league where that is where long term success is driven. These awesome D's like Denver had a few years back have very small windows of success, and they even needed a HOF QB in the big games to keep from blowing it.

What’s up with the hand to the ground before every snap? I saw a few of this year’s prospects doing that. Seems to me it would key the D-Line onto the timing of the snap. Just curious.

He does look really good, even though his line was asleep all game.

3 minutes ago, Jetsplayer21 said:

Glad somebody else gets it. Olineman are not the most exciting picks. But win championships. We had a all-star Oline in 09and 10. We just had a bad qb. They made Sanchez look much better than he was. Why he was a 3rd stringer on a non all-star OL. Darnold was amazing 2 years ago. Under a strong OL. His last yr he had a bad OL and then had a shhhitload of turnovers. You think Mac would say “ ok lets get this kid a strong OL, not a sh*tty one we currently have, like he had last yr” 

This reminds me of Dak Prescott and his development. Dak had a great rookie campaign playing behind an Oline full of 1st round talent. This year they had injuries up front and Dak struggled. Point being, Dak Prescott reached his potential playing in a consistently clean pocket. Not everyone can be Russell Wilson. Russell Wilson doesn't even want to be Russell Wilson behind that terrible Oline in Seattle. 

You cant have a situation where you cant find a reason to invest in the Oline, especially when we're ranked at the bottom. Think about it, even if folks believe that this wasn't a strong draft, Wesley Johnson, Dakota Dozier and the rest of these depth players were so bad it would be hard to believe that even in a lesser talented draft class we couldnt find talent better than Wesley Johnson and Dakota Dozier. 

We drafted 2 DT's and traded a draft pick for a DE. You mean to tell me we were in such dire need of 3 Dlinemen to the point that we couldnt simply take that 3rd round pick and instead of drafting a 25 year old DT who played against inferior talent, we draft Orlando Brown and take a chance on a guy who was viewed as a 1st rounder early February and didn't allow a sack at OU in 2 seasons? Is this 25 year old DT so good? Is Orlando Brown that bad? 

Mike Maccagnan is a horrible GM, not because of personal feelings, but he's been here for 4 seasons and had not proven that he has the ability to assemble a professional NFL team. You dont pass on a guy like that because of a terrible Combine. Antonio Brown, mega star WR for the Steelers had a terrible combine. Joe Haden had a terrible Combine, Kam Chancellor had a terrible Combine. When you have a 6'8 Olineman who's tape projected him as a 1st round talent, and he falls because of his performance in underwear and he's sitting there for you in the 3rd round, and you pass on him for a 25 year old defensive Tackle....I have to expose that decision for the stupidity that it is. 

3 minutes ago, Villain The Foe said:

This reminds me of Dak Prescott and his development. Dak had a great rookie campaign playing behind an Oline full of 1st round talent. This year they had injuries up front and Dak struggled. Point being, Dak Prescott reached his potential playing in a consistently clean pocket. Not everyone can be Russell Wilson. Russell Wilson doesn't even want to be Russell Wilson behind that terrible Oline in Seattle. 

You cant have a situation where you cant find a reason to invest in the Oline, especially when we're ranked at the bottom. Think about it, even if folks believe that this wasn't a strong draft, Wesley Johnson, Dakota Dozier and the rest of these depth players were so bad it would be hard to believe that even in a lesser talented draft class we couldnt find talent better than Wesley Johnson and Dakota Dozier. 

We drafted 2 DT's and traded a draft pick for a DE. You mean to tell me we were in such dire need of 3 Dlinemen to the point that we couldnt simply take that 3rd round pick and instead of drafting a 25 year old DT who played against inferior talent, we draft Orlando Brown and take a chance on a guy who was viewed as a 1st rounder early February and didn't allow a sack at OU in 2 seasons? Is this 25 year old DT so good? Is Orlando Brown that bad? 

Mike Maccagnan is a horrible GM, not because of personal feelings, but he's been here for 4 seasons and had not proven that he has the ability to assemble a professional NFL team. You dont pass on a guy like that because of a terrible Combine. Antonio Brown, mega star WR for the Steelers had a terrible combine. Joe Haden had a terrible Combine, Kam Chancellor had a terrible Combine. When you have a 6'8 Olineman who's tape projected him as a 1st round talent, and he falls because of his performance in underwear and he's sitting there for you in the 3rd round, and you pass on him for a 25 year old defensive Tackle....I have to expose that decision for the stupidity that it is. 

Nick Foles was a career jag for a decade ? He finally gets his shot under a top 5 Oline and he looks like tom Brady. Some jet fans will believe nick Foles all of a sudden is as good as Tom Brady ?.. 

everybody is killing the giants for not picking qb. Well We are all glad they didn’t. But they had a terrible OL last yr too. With injuries to Beckham and others eli had little support. They took the best Rb prospect in a decade. Who can also receive well to help Eli. They made an offer to Nate solder he couldn’t resist, and drafted the 2nd next run blocker in the the draft. Watch how much better Eli plays this yr.

Just now, Jetsplayer21 said:

Nick Foles was a career jag for a decade ? He finally gets his shot under a top 5 Oline and he looks like tom Brady. Some jet fans will believe nick Foles all of a sudden is as good as Tom Brady ?.. 

everybody is killing the giants for not picking qb. Well We are all glad they didn’t. But they had a terrible OL last yr too. With injuries to Beckham and others eli had little support. They took the best Rb prospect in a decade. Who can also receive well to help Eli. They made an offer to Nate solder he couldn’t resist, and drafted the 2nd next run blocker in the the draft. Watch how much better Eli plays this yr.

I just said this earlier to someone as well, but talking about Lauletta. It's evident that Sam Darnold is the better prospect, but the moves that the Giants did, in part by passing on Darnold, by drafting the best RB, drafting a OLineman and signing Solder, It seems like if Darnold and Lauletta sit this year and both start next year, based on decisions made by both front offices up to this point, it's clear to see that the 4th round pick Lauletta already has a better potential supporting class just based on what the Giants did during free agency and the draft. 

The Giants may have Oline problems but it isnt because they're not trying. They've invested premium draft picks into the position, they've signed big name free agents, and they've drafted an Olineman damn near every year for over a decade. They know how important it is to constantly attempt protecting your QB and controlling the LOS. 

The GM doesn't even care about the trenches and controlling the LOS or protecting his QB's. Fact: We haven't had 1 season since Macc has taken over where the starting QB played the entire season without injury. 

26 minutes ago, UnknownJetFan said:

Well, remembering back to when P. Manning began, his Oline and Skill position players were worse than ours and he of course struggled with them. But, then each year the Colts added/focused a lot on Oline(guys like Saturday), WRs(like Harrison), RBs(Faulk, Addai, etc.), great FBs/TEs, etc. Jets will start doing the same with Darnold since now with the pick we invested in him this will be a mandate. You may even see more resources there than on the D as time goes forward and that is what is to be expected sine we will hopefully be more Offensive oriented in a league where that is where long term success is driven. These awesome D's like Denver had a few years back have very small windows of success, and they even needed a HOF QB in the big games to keep from blowing it.

Peyton was a rare gift from god. He started twice as many games as Sam did. Peyton stayed all 4 yrs, could have came out to us after his junior yr. but parcells blew that. Sam is very raw. Had he stayed in for his senior yr and then we drafted him, maybe he could handle taking snaps under such a horrible OL. But it’s clear now he is going to sit atleast half the season. Most likely until 19

3 minutes ago, Villain The Foe said:

I just said this earlier to someone as well, but talking about Lauletta. It's evident that Sam Darnold is the better prospect, but the moves that the Giants did, in part by passing on Darnold, by drafting the best RB, drafting a OLineman and signing Solder, It seems like if Darnold and Lauletta sit this year and both start next year, based on decisions made by both front offices up to this point, it's clear to see that the 4th round pick Lauletta already has a better potential supporting class just based on what the Giants did during free agency and the draft. 

The Giants may have Oline problems but it isnt because they're not trying. They've invested premium draft picks into the position, they've signed big name free agents, and they've drafted an Olineman damn near every year for over a decade. They know how important it is to constantly attempt protecting your QB and controlling the LOS. 

The GM doesn't even care about the trenches and controlling the LOS or protecting his QB's. Fact: We haven't had 1 season since Macc has taken over where the starting QB played the entire season without injury. 

I can’t say I agree with that. Not sold on Lauretta.

But it’s 100% if darnold played with giants, much stronger line, great rb who is great safety net to Throw to. Darnold would EASILY have considerably better stats with giants than jets. And that is all Todd Bowles fault. 

6 hours ago, Jetsplayer21 said:

I can’t say I agree with that. Not sold on Lauretta.

But it’s 100% if darnold played with giants, much stronger line, great rb who is great safety net to Throw to. Darnold would EASILY have considerably better stats with giants than jets. And that is all Todd Bowles fault. 

Im not saying that im sold on Lauletta. It's less about the qb's and more about the supporting cast around them. I dont think Lauletta is as good as Sam, but the Giants are making sure to maximze the potential of whoever the qb my be by contributing premium picks to the oline and run game. 

All im saying is that maybe the Jets front office should consider doing the same. 

Archived