Wait, this is supposed to be his worst game?

nico002

45 minutes ago, Villain The Foe said:

Im not saying that im sold on Lauletta. It's less about the qb's and more about the supporting cast around them. I dont think Lauletta is as good as Sam, but the Giants are making sure to maximze the potential of whoever the qb my be by contributing premium picks to the oline and run game. 

All im saying is that maybe the Jets front office should consider doing the same. 

That is why Geno looked so much better on the Giants and why the Giants always have a better record than we do. 

• Replies 79
  • Created
  • Last Reply
11 minutes ago, Villain The Foe said:

Im not sure if this is sarcasm or not. 

I guess you would have to watch some clips of Geno as a Giant, then maybe check the Giants record.

All will become clear.

Conversely you could just assume everything I say is sarcastic...It is the lowest form of humor you know.  

7 minutes ago, NYs Stepchild said:

I guess you would have to watch some clips of Geno as a Giant, then maybe check the Giants record.

All will become clear.

Conversely you could just assume everything I say is sarcastic...It is the lowest form of humor you know.  

Given the amount of injuries they sustained during the season it was seriously hard to tell if your statement was sarcasm. I had a feeling it was sarcasm given the mention of Geno Smith, but I wanted to give you the benefit of the doubt knowing that a Jets fan wouldn't be talking records when all the NY Jets do is pick in the top 10 of drafts and the Giants win a Super Bowl once a decade over the past 40 years. 

But of course Geno Smith puts things in perspective, not injuries, or superbowls. 

1 minute ago, Villain The Foe said:

Given the amount of injuries they sustained during the season it was seriously hard to tell if your statement was sarcasm. I had a feeling it was sarcasm given the mention of Geno Smith, but I wanted to give you the benefit of the doubt knowing that a Jets fan wouldn't be talking records when all the NY Jets do is pick in the top 10 of drafts and the Giants win a Super Bowl once a decade over the past 40 years. 

But of course Geno Smith puts things in perspective, not injuries, or superbowls. 

The Giants won SBs with defense. Certainly not because of dominant Oline play.

36 minutes ago, NYs Stepchild said:

The Giants won SBs with defense. Certainly not because of dominant Oline play.

Yup, Eli Manning...two time SB MVP, Phil Simms...SB MVP and Otis Anderson SB MVP, all offensive players that are behind the offensive line did not contribute a thing to the Giants SB wins. 

This clearly has to be that lowest form of humor you were talking about. 

Look, you got it bro. No need for me to even debate this given that this wasn't even the topic or my point. As I originally stated, maybe the Jets should take a couple pointers from their neighbors when it comes to attempting to add talent to the Oline. The Giants may not have gotten it correct every time, but I cant fault them for trying more often than not when they clearly see issues on the Offensive line. 

Since having arguably the best Offensive line back in 2009, when both first round picks in D'Brick and Mangold were at their prime, undrafted Free Agent Brandon Moore was at his prime, and the Jets adding two veterans Alan Faneca and Damien Woody, the Jets have added zero premium picks to add with any of the veteran Olineman they've gotten from free agency. The last time the Jets drafted an Olineman in the 1st round was 2006. 

The Jets were at their best when they had a solid Oline with a reliable running game. The last time the Jets had that, they were playing in AFCCG's. Folks can be quick to bring up the Jets defense, but it was the offense that provided pace to the game given ball control and putting up enough points that the defense can hold on to. 

For the past 7-8 seasons it's been about the Jets defense having to hold teams under 14ppg in order for the Jets to have a realistic chance of winning given that they dont control the pace of the game with ball control, we dont have a consistent running game, we dont have a stable QB and it all is based on the fact that we dont have a stable, reliable offensive line. 

It's been all about cornerbacks, safeties and defensive lineman....and we haven't been relevant since. You build a team from the inside out, from the trenches back. We're doing it reverse and on one side of the ball. On offense we've drafted more QB's and WR's than we have Olineman....the guys who provide the time and pocket to the QB to throw to the WR. What good is having the next Andrew Luck when even Andrew Luck is showing what life is when you dont have an offensive line and have a GM who dont give a **** about protecting Andrew Luck?

41 minutes ago, Villain The Foe said:

Yup, Eli Manning...two time SB MVP, Phil Simms...SB MVP and Otis Anderson SB MVP, all offensive players that are behind the offensive line did not contribute a thing to the Giants SB wins. 

This clearly has to be that lowest form of humor you were talking about. 

Look, you got it bro. No need for me to even debate this given that this wasn't even the topic or my point. As I originally stated, maybe the Jets should take a couple pointers from their neighbors when it comes to attempting to add talent to the Oline. The Giants may not have gotten it correct every time, but I cant fault them for trying more often than not when they clearly see issues on the Offensive line. 

Since having arguably the best Offensive line back in 2009, when both first round picks in D'Brick and Mangold were at their prime, undrafted Free Agent Brandon Moore was at his prime, and the Jets adding two veterans Alan Faneca and Damien Woody, the Jets have added zero premium picks to add with any of the veteran Olineman they've gotten from free agency. The last time the Jets drafted an Olineman in the 1st round was 2006. 

The Jets were at their best when they had a solid Oline with a reliable running game. The last time the Jets had that, they were playing in AFCCG's. Folks can be quick to bring up the Jets defense, but it was the offense that provided pace to the game given ball control and putting up enough points that the defense can hold on to. 

For the past 7-8 seasons it's been about the Jets defense having to hold teams under 14ppg in order for the Jets to have a realistic chance of winning given that they dont control the pace of the game with ball control, we dont have a consistent running game, we dont have a stable QB and it all is based on the fact that we dont have a stable, reliable offensive line. 

It's been all about cornerbacks, safeties and defensive lineman....and we haven't been relevant since. You build a team from the inside out, from the trenches back. We're doing it reverse and on one side of the ball. On offense we've drafted more QB's and WR's than we have Olineman....the guys who provide the time and pocket to the QB to throw to the WR. What good is having the next Andrew Luck when even Andrew Luck is showing what life is when you dont have an offensive line and have a GM who dont give a **** about protecting Andrew Luck?

Eli led his Os to 17 & 19 pts, he didn't deserve either SB MVP.  they could have and would have won those SBs w/ Mark Sanchez.

if your point was we need to upgrade the OL I agree w/ you but the rebuild is far from over.  we have upgraded the OL this offseason but more moves need to be made in the coming years. We are still in the rebuilding phase but we can be competitive this year.  we can compete for a playoff spot and if the young QB develops we should be a playoff team by 2019.

38 minutes ago, nyjunc said:

Eli led his Os to 17 & 19 pts, he didn't deserve either SB MVP.  they could have and would have won those SBs w/ Mark Sanchez.

This wasn't my point, it was taken here by folks who decided not to acknowledge my point which was quite simple. We need to add talent to the offensive line. 

However, when you account for every TD' made in the 1st game and you win then you deserve the MVP of the game. 

When you complete 75% of your 40 passes, put points on the board and dont turn the ball over in the 2nd game then you deserve MVP of that game as well. 

If Mark Sanchez did that then he would also deserved the MVP of the games. 

if your point was we need to upgrade the OL I agree w/ you but the rebuild is far from over. 

That was indeed my point, not talking about Geno Smith and the Giants record as if Jets fans should be pointing the finger at the Giants for having a worse record than us for once and picking in the top 3 for the first time since 1984, or in the top-10 just 7 times in my life time, while the Jets have picked in the top-10 18 times. Not to mention the Giants 4 SB's to the Jets 0 SB's  during that same timespan. Seems a bit pointless to be poking at the Giants as if we're not fans of a completely dysfunctional organization that has been that way for as long as the Giants have been winning superbowls. 

we have upgraded the OL this offseason but more moves need to be made in the coming years. We are still in the rebuilding phase but we can be competitive this year.  we can compete for a playoff spot and if the young QB develops we should be a playoff team by 2019.

I dont look at Swanson as an upgrade given that he's just as bad as Wesley Johnson. Spencer Long is an upgrade but that's really just based on how bad Wesley Johnson (and Swanson) is. However, Spencer Long hasn't ever played a full season, he was a spotty starter for the Redskins, and during his last season, he only suited up for 11 games, played in 7, started in 6 and was put on IR before the end of the season. 

We have no clue what we're getting at Center at this point. I dont know what other moves we've made to the Oline that I can sit and say that we "upgraded" this offseason. I would be more than happy for you to school me in that regard because I dont see the upgrade brother. 

I also cant say that we're still rebuilding or are in the rebuilding phase when I see that Macc has only invested 2 draft picks to that cause in 4 drafts and both have been 5th round picks. 

Every year we can compete for a playoff spot, but that doesn't mean that actually obtaining playoff spot is realistic. I didn't go into this draft thinking that we needed 3 or 4 defensive lineman because we were that depleted of talent. I went into this draft thinking that we needed offensive lineman because we're depleted of young talent and depth. 

9 hours ago, Villain The Foe said:

This reminds me of Dak Prescott and his development. Dak had a great rookie campaign playing behind an Oline full of 1st round talent. This year they had injuries up front and Dak struggled. Point being, Dak Prescott reached his potential playing in a consistently clean pocket. Not everyone can be Russell Wilson. Russell Wilson doesn't even want to be Russell Wilson behind that terrible Oline in Seattle. 

You cant have a situation where you cant find a reason to invest in the Oline, especially when we're ranked at the bottom. Think about it, even if folks believe that this wasn't a strong draft, Wesley Johnson, Dakota Dozier and the rest of these depth players were so bad it would be hard to believe that even in a lesser talented draft class we couldnt find talent better than Wesley Johnson and Dakota Dozier. 

We drafted 2 DT's and traded a draft pick for a DE. You mean to tell me we were in such dire need of 3 Dlinemen to the point that we couldnt simply take that 3rd round pick and instead of drafting a 25 year old DT who played against inferior talent, we draft Orlando Brown and take a chance on a guy who was viewed as a 1st rounder early February and didn't allow a sack at OU in 2 seasons? Is this 25 year old DT so good? Is Orlando Brown that bad? 

Mike Maccagnan is a horrible GM, not because of personal feelings, but he's been here for 4 seasons and had not proven that he has the ability to assemble a professional NFL team. You dont pass on a guy like that because of a terrible Combine. Antonio Brown, mega star WR for the Steelers had a terrible combine. Joe Haden had a terrible Combine, Kam Chancellor had a terrible Combine. When you have a 6'8 Olineman who's tape projected him as a 1st round talent, and he falls because of his performance in underwear and he's sitting there for you in the 3rd round, and you pass on him for a 25 year old defensive Tackle....I have to expose that decision for the stupidity that it is. 

I've never seen a top rate NFL organization that didn't take at least one development OL in EVERY draft. Really hard to understand some of the things this GM does.

12 hours ago, nico002 said:

Are people serious? I could not be more impressed with the kid watching that. His OLine was dominated yet he somehow extended play after play.

there are at least 10 throws in that game that 9/10 nfl QBs can’t make. Seriously he’s one of the most accurate QBs I’ve ever seen...

Anyway, this game sold me more than any other I’ve seem on this kid.

I’m glad to hear that. I haven’t seen that game. I’m still watching him I’m the 2017 Rosebowl . Over and over and over again... slowly. 

31 minutes ago, Mackman55 said:

I've never seen a top rate NFL organization that didn't take at least one development OL in EVERY draft. Really hard to understand some of the things this GM does.

Brother, THANK YOU. 

That's all I was bringing to light. It doesn't have to be every single draft, but investing just two 5th round picks in 4 drafts isnt the right decision for sure. 

10 hours ago, Villain The Foe said:

I just said this earlier to someone as well, but talking about Lauletta. It's evident that Sam Darnold is the better prospect, but the moves that the Giants did, in part by passing on Darnold, by drafting the best RB, drafting a OLineman and signing Solder, It seems like if Darnold and Lauletta sit this year and both start next year, based on decisions made by both front offices up to this point, it's clear to see that the 4th round pick Lauletta already has a better potential supporting class just based on what the Giants did during free agency and the draft. 

The Giants may have Oline problems but it isnt because they're not trying. They've invested premium draft picks into the position, they've signed big name free agents, and they've drafted an Olineman damn near every year for over a decade. They know how important it is to constantly attempt protecting your QB and controlling the LOS. 

The GM doesn't even care about the trenches and controlling the LOS or protecting his QB's. Fact: We haven't had 1 season since Macc has taken over where the starting QB played the entire season without injury. 

Good points, and I agree. However, I don't think it's entirely that simple. I will say that this whole process is an evolution. Mac will have a windfall next spring to draft a premium OL and perhaps add a FA OT or two if needed (and it probably will be). I'd love to snap my fingers and have it all done, but you can't fix a talent bereft roster in one fell swoop. It's irritating that the DT had to be re-cast first, but he did so in a pretty cost-effective manner. The OL is just a shade below league average. If we could ever have a year where they stay healthy, they would be fine. Depth is not there yet, and you can absolutely put that on Mac AND Bowles (you're right, it's not really a priority as it should be).

10 hours ago, Jetsplayer21 said:

I can’t say I agree with that. Not sold on Lauretta.

But it’s 100% if darnold played with giants, much stronger line, great rb who is great safety net to Throw to. Darnold would EASILY have considerably better stats with giants than jets. And that is all Todd Bowles fault. 

I see you have predetermined on who to blame if Darnold doesn’t perform to your liking. 

Darnold's biggest weakness is, ironically, one of his greatest strengths. He has an uncanny ability to make off platform accurate throws. He doesn't need a clean pocket to make an accurate throw. That being said, if he does have a clean pocket, he should be making throws with proper mechanics, particularly his legs and feet. He is sloppy in this regard because he can get away with it so often. His mechanical issues have more to do with his feet than his throwing motion (which is not going to change much). He really just needs to spend time putting in A LOT of reps getting his feet right. 

12 hours ago, Jetsplayer21 said:

Lol. So the browns had a good line, and that’s it. Ok lol. At least they have a strong line for mayfield to step into. I’m not asking for us to have top 5, top10 even OL in NFL. That will NEVER happen under Bowles. We all can agree now Sam darnold is BY FAR the most important player, person in the building now. It’s not Adams, Bowles, Mac, ect.  It was ok when you do not have a franchise qb. My point is we have to change the mentality now. Bowles D is not the most important part of our team Anymore. And it won’t be from here on for hopefully next 15 years. 

Curious, how and why will we never have a top 10 OL under Bowles?  

40 minutes ago, Jet Nut said:

Curious, how and why will we never have a top 10 OL under Bowles?  

Lol. You are a smart fan so I am shocked I have to explain it. Pull up draft under Bowles. It won’t look much different then drafts under Rex, another all D HC. Bowles has a gm Who opening admits he often drafts/signs players his HC requests. It’s not no shock 90% of the resources always go to his defense. I know he understands the importance of a qb. But the rest of the O takes a backseat to his D. I’m sure he would love a great Oline. But in this game you often have to sacrifice in one area if your main focus is in another. Bowles focus is all D. More now since we got our qb finally. 

If we spent a ton of $$ in FA on OL, and drafted a OL in 1st and 3rd round we could have a top OL. But that would mean Todd Bowles Defense doesn’t get his players on D. He will not let that happen. That is why we will NEVER have a top 10 OL. 

Ernie Acorsi said he was convinced that Eli was the QB he had to have after watching games of him battling against superior teams and getting the crap beat out of him. It showed something beyond the measurables and physical tools.

Games like the Ohio St loss are such for Darnold. He has the physical tools and measurables, but even with the mistakes the game showed his battle, his ability under pressure.

Ultimately, that is something to work with but Darnolf has to develop beyond that.  I go back to Sanchez' game against the Texans. That was a franchise QB right there but he never developed beyond that and regressed.

1 minute ago, Jetsplayer21 said:

Lol. You are a smart fan so I am shocked I have to explain it. Pull up draft under Bowles. It won’t look much different then drafts under Rex, another all D HC. Bowles has a gm Who opening admits he often drafts/signs players his HC requests. It’s not no shock 90% of the resources always go to his defense. I know he understands the importance of a qb. But the rest of the O takes a backseat to his D. I’m sure he would love a great Oline. But in this game you often have to sacrifice in one area if your main focus is in another. Bowles focus is all D. More now since we got our qb finally. 

If we spent a ton of $$ in FA on OL, and drafted a OL in 1st and 3rd round we could have a top OL. But that would mean Todd Bowles Defense doesn’t get his players on D. He will not let that happen. That is why we will NEVER have a top 10 OL. 

Never has Bowles run the Jets draft, thats an imaginary position to take.  Macc has never admitted that he drafts who the HC wants to draft.  Every GM listens to what his HC wants but ultimately he makes the picks, is responsible for the picks and puts his name on them.  Yes, if Macc cant decide between a RB and CB and sees equal value and need with either while his HC wants one of the players, he will and should take it into account.  

Funny part is the Jets had their best OL, were great in pass protection and lead the league in rushing yards under Rex.  Another who you say is the same as Bowles.

1 hour ago, NYJCAP2 said:

I see you have predetermined on who to blame if Darnold doesn’t perform to your liking. 

Lol. Wrong. Rex and MT set mark Sanchez up with an all star Oline. He just sucked balls. So you are saying you won’t blame Mac/Bowles if darnold doesn’t perform under a terrible OL? Lol ok

1 hour ago, RVAJet815 said:

Good points, and I agree. However, I don't think it's entirely that simple. I will say that this whole process is an evolution. Mac will have a windfall next spring to draft a premium OL and perhaps add a FA OT or two if needed (and it probably will be). I'd love to snap my fingers and have it all done, but you can't fix a talent bereft roster in one fell swoop. It's irritating that the DT had to be re-cast first, but he did so in a pretty cost-effective manner. The OL is just a shade below league average. If we could ever have a year where they stay healthy, they would be fine. Depth is not there yet, and you can absolutely put that on Mac AND Bowles (you're right, it's not really a priority as it should be).

Sure, the process isnt simple, however, it is simple to see that the Giants are active in evaluating and drafting Olineman as well as active in free agency. That's all im asking for this front office to do. If they did that and it didn't work, then it wouldn't be for a lack of trying. I would just like Mike to try, or for him to be replaced.  

That's fair. The only logical conclusion I can come to is that his preference is, as the Seahawks and others have done successfully, is to go cheap and draft late on the OL (clearly this hasn't done them favors lately...but they have a ring to show for it). To this point, it's been to mixed success, and that's being kind. If it doesn't work, and to be fair it hasn't failed yet, Mac will have bocoup cash to throw at it next year. And with no QB to worry about, he will have to actually spend it this time. 

14 hours ago, k-met57 said:

I like carpenter. Have to give him a shot to be a monster again next to a legit center. WJ was poo.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

maybe having a crap center next to him affected his performance?

14 hours ago, the Claw said:

What’s up with the hand to the ground before every snap? I saw a few of this year’s prospects doing that. Seems to me it would key the D-Line onto the timing of the snap. Just curious.

He does look really good, even though his line was asleep all game.

That's because he's exclusively playing through the shut gun and with the crowd noise it'll be impossible for the center to hear the QB cadence. So sign language (hand posture) is the only way of communicating.

18 hours ago, k-met57 said:

i watched a few of those games, Texas, Stanford, Penn State, Ohio state...he def has flaws...but if people cant see the potential, there is nothing to discuss. Darnold needs to get with an NFL OL, work on timing with his receivers, and work on his feet in the pocket....thats it. i dont buy the throwing mechanics thing...he is a ******* stud. he can make 4-5 throws a game that only 3-5 NFL QB's can make.

Darnold's biggest mechanical "flaw" is a downward extension of his wrist and hand and dropping his throwing arm prior to beginning his throwing motion.  It is actually an effective means of generating more velocity. It's the perfect motion for a high-level tennis serve.  Watch all the big servers at the pro level and you will see the racquet pointing down prior to the takeaway.  It's part of the kinetic chain.  Sam has a bit of this motion when he throws.

It's a moderate hitch that could create an opportunity for defensive players to anticipate and react to his move a split second early if they are astute enough read it.  It's very fixable and not the end of the world.  His footwork isn't a big issue to me since he can throw well no matter what his foot position his -- I see this as a strength in that he doesn't need to be perfectly set or need a squeaky clean pocket to be effective, unlike someone like Josh Rosen.  Patrick Mahomes is another QB who can make long, accurate throws off either foot and with less than perfect arm angles.  

18 hours ago, nico002 said:

Are people serious? I could not be more impressed with the kid watching that. His OLine was dominated yet he somehow extended play after play.

there are at least 10 throws in that game that 9/10 nfl QBs can’t make. Seriously he’s one of the most accurate QBs I’ve ever seen...

Anyway, this game sold me more than any other I’ve seem on this kid.

The play at 4:14 (where he throws across his body) is impressive.

43 minutes ago, Il Mostro said:

Darnold's biggest mechanical "flaw" is a downward extension of his wrist and hand and dropping his throwing arm prior to beginning his throwing motion.  It is actually an effective means of generating more velocity. It's the perfect motion for a high-level tennis serve.  Watch all the big servers at the pro level and you will see the racquet pointing down prior to the takeaway.  It's part of the kinetic chain.  Sam has a bit of this motion when he throws.

It's a moderate hitch that could create an opportunity for defensive players to anticipate and react to his move a split second early if they are astute enough read it.  It's very fixable and not the end of the world.  His footwork isn't a big issue to me since he can throw well no matter what his foot position his -- I see this as a strength in that he doesn't need to be perfectly set or need a squeaky clean pocket to be effective, unlike someone like Josh Rosen.  Patrick Mahomes is another QB who can make long, accurate throws off either foot and with less than perfect arm angles.  

I agree that his biggest flaw is the windup. Nowhere near Tebow-level bad, but NFL DBs will jump his passes leading to more incompletions and picks. 

Aaron Rodgers had an awkward throwing motion at Cal. Now he has the quickest release in the league and throws a beautiful ball. 

20 hours ago, Grandy said:

He was absolutely brutalized by the rush, which hurt him, and caused bad decisions under pressure.

But I saw some throws in that game that left me in that "Holy sh*t" state. 

If that's the worst we'll get, then I'm a happy man. 

Hey Grandy...didn’t the cat call the the Darnold pick when all the so-called experts had us taking Mayfield or Rosen?

2 hours ago, Il Mostro said:

i didn't have an issue with his feet being out of position, it was more that he wasn't setting his feet at all even though he had a clean pocket. watch the INT vs UCLA.

EDIT: found it 

Archived