I Need Some Advice From Homeowners

Bombdirt

Okay guys, I need a few suggestions here. 

I live in a residential area, and I have a problem with people walking through my yard. There's a half-dozen or so dudes who live around here and walk behind my garage, using it as a shortcut to get from street to street to avoid the horrible inconvenience of going another 100 feet to the intersection.

The open area they go through is probably 4-5 feet wide, and I was thinking of putting up a little fence or maybe a bush to block that spot off. The soil there is kind of rocky though, so it may be a pain in the ass to dig. There's a little bit of vegetation there but people just push right through it. Here's a picture of the spot: 

IMG_2438.jpg

Anyway, if you guys have any thoughts on what I could put there I would like to hear them. I thought about doing something underhanded like tripwire or landmines but I don't want any of the neighborhood kids to get hurt. I don't give a sh*t if kids go through there, but grown-ass adults should know better. 

And yes, I know this is a petty issue to worry about in the grand scheme of things, but all the traffic messes up my grass and it pisses my wife off. 

• Replies 119
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, Joe the Breadman said:

Not to sound wrong but get a real dog....one that will make people absolutely stop this cut thru...people here in Texas would come unglued if strangers were cutting thru their property.

1 hour ago, T0mShane said:

That would drive me absolutely insane, tbh. I like the dog idea.

I would like to get another dog, but the wife would murder me in my sleep with a rusty bayonet if I brought another one home. And my basset hound is a raging pussy who doesn't scare anybody. He spends the bulk of his time inside sleeping and lamenting the loss of his balls anyway. 

Why not add onto the fence in the picture and attach the fence to the garage or a few lengths of barb-wire. 

No trespassing signs, some large landscape boulders pictured below if you like the open look. 

Society and people suck thats the bottom line no one should have to do this. 

In my neighborhood a new family moved in with 3 kids I have never picked up so much litter in my life, candy wrappers, soda cans,dorito snack bags. 

Image result for big boulders in landscaping

11 minutes ago, Bombdirt said:

I would like to get another dog, but the wife would murder me in my sleep with a rusty bayonet if I brought another one home. And my basset hound is a raging pussy who doesn't scare anybody. He spends the bulk of his time inside sleeping and lamenting the loss of his balls anyway. 

I had a similar circumstance some years ago when I was renting a house in a rural part of  Dutchess County. I’d be sitting in the living room and two pickup trucks would come rolling up the driveway and park on the lawn near the tree line. Turns out, the owner of the house I was renting would let his hillbilly buddies park there during hunting season while they were out in the woods hunting deer. For the rest of the time I lived here, I would park my car all the way at the bottom of the driveway so they couldn’t get up it. I’m also a huge pussy who didn’t want to get raped, Deliverance style.

3 hours ago, Bombdirt said:

I live in a residential area, and I have a problem with people walking through my yard. There's a half-dozen or so dudes who live around here and walk behind my garage, using it as a shortcut to get from street to street to avoid the horrible inconvenience of going another 100 feet to the intersection.

The open area they go through is probably 4-5 feet wide, and I was thinking of putting up a little fence or maybe a bush to block that spot off. The soil there is kind of rocky though, so it may be a pain in the ass to dig. There's a little bit of vegetation there but people just push right through it. Here's a picture of the spot: 

IMG_2438.jpg

Anyway, if you guys have any thoughts on what I could put there I would like to hear them. I thought about doing something underhanded like tripwire or landmines but I don't want any of the neighborhood kids to get hurt. I don't give a sh*t if kids go through there, but grown-ass adults should know better. 

And yes, I know this is a petty issue to worry about in the grand scheme of things, but all the traffic messes up my grass and it pisses my wife off. 

Put a shed there. Put a couple motion sensor lights on it. Problem solved. 

A fence with even fake cameras 

Where I work we caught a guy putting appliances in our dumpster on camera and the cops said since there wasn't a no trespassing sign they wouldn't do anything so a no trespassing sign to boot 

1 hour ago, Larz said:

A fence with even fake cameras 

Where I work we caught a guy putting appliances in our dumpster on camera and the cops said since there wasn't a no trespassing sign they wouldn't do anything so a no trespassing sign to boot 

Interesting my property backs to woods and an elementary school, one day I come home from work and find kids in my yard so I hollar at them and chase them out we have a gate since my kids went to the school. I called the police and they said the same damn thing well you don't have a NO TRESPASSING sign. So I put  lock on the gate and a posted a NO TRESPASSING sign. 

• 2 weeks later...
4 hours ago, joewilly12 said:

What was the decision?  

Not 100 percent sure yet but I think we're going with a fence/bush combination. I may get fancy and add a fake security camera. 

I'll post pics when I finish... but with the way I procrastinate doing projects, that may be a while. 

On 4/29/2018 at 9:07 PM, joewilly12 said:

Interesting my property backs to woods and an elementary school, one day I come home from work and find kids in my yard so I hollar at them and chase them out we have a gate since my kids went to the school. I called the police and they said the same damn thing well you don't have a NO TRESPASSING sign. So I put  lock on the gate and a posted a NO TRESPASSING sign. 

I think kids playing in a yard near a elementary school is kind of expected. 

On April 29, 2018 at 6:07 PM, joewilly12 said:

The sign also protects you legally if someone trips in the dark or something and gets injured

On 4/29/2018 at 2:36 PM, Bombdirt said:

IMG_2438.jpg

IMG_2438.jpg

You're welcome.

17 hours ago, batman10023 said:

I think kids playing in a yard near a elementary school is kind of expected. 

No not really there is a heavily wooded area that separates homes and the school maybe 50 feet my yard is fenced in and the children opened the gate and trespassed into my yard. 

Been living here for 25 years and this is the first time this has happened. 

20 minutes ago, joewilly12 said:

No not really there is a heavily wooded area that separates homes and the school maybe 50 feet my yard is fenced in and the children opened the gate and trespassed into my yard. 

Been living here for 25 years and this is the first time this has happened. 

oh i thought you were talking about kids walking thru your yard.  if it's fenced in that is a different story.

we have a cranky old man as a neighbor - my kids hate him as he complains all the time about noise in the hallway. 

his wife is very sick so i am not allowed to say anything back to him.

30 minutes ago, batman10023 said:

oh i thought you were talking about kids walking thru your yard.  if it's fenced in that is a different story.

we have a cranky old man as a neighbor - my kids hate him as he complains all the time about noise in the hallway. 

his wife is very sick so i am not allowed to say anything back to him.

Im not a cranky old man just don't like people trespassing on my property and then being told I have to post NO TRESPASSING signs when the yard is fenced....I opted to put a lock on the gate first time in 25 years......sad part is I own 20 feet into that woods but we weren't allowed to put a fence because of the water runoff that flows back there during heavy rains. 

If you go the fence route... HIGHLY RECOMMENDED to but the metal insta gate kit at home depot. 47 bucks each kit comes with all ahrdwar soooooo easy, no sagging just put the wood on for show. The metal is the actual gate. Its stronger, easier and cheaper than any wood gate u can build. Just cement in 2 posts, install the 2 gate kits and add the wood as you like. 200 bucks might do it

• 4 weeks later...
2 minutes ago, batman10023 said:

My neighbor said I killed her leylands by trimming them too short.  They were on my property after growing. 

What a disaster.  She removed them and planted new trees but wants me to pay 2500 bucks to split the cost. 

Tell her no way to pound salt and threaten to take her to see Judge Judy. 

Image result for judge judy gifs

Just now, joewilly12 said:

Tell her no way to pound salt and threaten to take her to see Judge Judy. 

Image result for judge judy gifs

If I lose it’s going to be more than 2500 and a lot of time.  But I shouldn’t lose but most likely Jussie says split it 50/50.  It was on my side.  I hate dealing with this. 

Archived