A Darnold comparision I haven't heard yet

zonajetfan

I think Darnold is a mish mosh of Jim Kelly, Jim Plunkett, and Steve McNair.

Elongated releases and accuracy of all 3 in different ways...

mobility, pressure sensing and improvisation of all 3 in different ways...

Finds ways to win that aren't always pretty like all 3 used to...

1 hour ago, Larz said:

That came up in a podcast I think maybe Dilfer said it. Pretty good comparison 

It fits. Big body, good arm, solid escapability but not really a runner per se. Mechanics are a tire fire, too many turnovers, but a lot of wins and clutch performances. And to answer the next question: yes, I would give up 6 and three seconds for Jameis.

On 4/29/2018 at 8:43 PM, dbatesman said:

It fits. Big body, good arm, solid escapability but not really a runner per se. Mechanics are a tire fire, too many turnovers, but a lot of wins and clutch performances. And to answer the next question: yes, I would give up 6 and three seconds for Jameis.

Yeah but at least with Darnold you get to keep the crab legs . 

2 hours ago, T0mShane said:

Roethlisberger is one of the most unique players to ever play the game. He’s basically an offensive lineman with the brain of Steve Young and the arm of Troy Aikman. When young tykes ask me in twenty years who was the best quarterback of this era, I will tell them it’s Ben Roethlisberger and that Tom Brady was the Barry Bonds of football. No one is Roethlisberger. 

I told anyone that was listening in the Mangini and Rex years, the QB I always worried about was Ben. I had confidence in our teams to slow down/stop brady*, Peyton, Brees....but Ben scared the crap out of me. 

45 minutes ago, dbatesman said:

Yup they mentioned all of that and also a competitiveness that sometimes they take too much of a risk but that also works out plenty of times 

What I love about Darnold is the basketball background gives him point guard vision and he's no stiff. 

It's just so cool to be back in the NFL lol

2 hours ago, dbatesman said:

I would say Darnold is considerably better athlete than Winston (more agile) and throws better on the run. I think Winston probably has a better arm. Interesting comparison though. 

5 hours ago, T0mShane said:

Roethlisberger is one of the most unique players to ever play the game. He’s basically an offensive lineman with the brain of Steve Young and the arm of Troy Aikman. When young tykes ask me in twenty years who was the best quarterback of this era, I will tell them it’s Ben Roethlisberger and that Tom Brady was the Barry Bonds of football. No one is Roethlisberger. 

That is prob one of the most spot on descriptions of Big Ben I've ever read.

2 hours ago, greenwichjetfan said:

I told anyone that was listening in the Mangini and Rex years, the QB I always worried about was Ben. I had confidence in our teams to slow down/stop brady*, Peyton, Brees....but Ben scared the crap out of me. 

It seemed like no one could sack him. Everytime I thought he was going down, he would fight it off and throw a first down.

9 hours ago, T0mShane said:

Regarding Sam Darnold, He was an old man who fished alone in a skiff in the Gulf Stream and he had gone eighty-four days now without taking a fish. In the first forty days a boy had been with him. But after forty days without a fish the boy's parents had told him that the old man was now definitely and finally salao, which is the worst form of unlucky, and the boy had gone at their orders in another boat which caught three good fish the first week. It made the boy sad to see the old man come in each day with his skiff empty and he always went down to help him carry either the coiled lines or the gaff and harpoon and the sail that was furled around the mast. The sail was patched with flour sacks and, furled, it looked like the flag of permanent defeat.

The old man was thin and gaunt with deep wrinkles in the back of his neck. The brown blotches of the benevolent skin cancer the sun brings from its reflection on the tropic sea were on his cheeks. The blotches ran well down the sides of his face and his hands had the deep-creased scars from handling heavy fish on the cords. But none of these scars were fresh. They were as old as erosions in a fishless desert.

Everything about him was old except his eyes and they were the same color as the sea and were cheerful and undefeated.

"Santiago," the boy said to him as they climbed the bank from where the skiff was hauled up. "I could go with you again. We've made some money."

The old man had taught the boy to fish and the boy loved him.

"No," the old man said. "You're with a lucky boat. Stay with them."

"But remember how you went eighty-seven days without fish and then we caught big ones every day for three weeks."

"I remember," the old man said. "I know you did not leave me because you doubted."

"It was papa made me leave. I am a boy and I must obey him."

"I know," the old man said. "It is quite normal."

"He hasn't much faith."

"No," the old man said. "But we have. Haven't we?"

"Yes," the boy said. "Can I offer you a beer on the Terrace and then we'll take the stuff home."

"Why not?" the old man said. "Between fishermen."

They sat on the Terrace and many of the fishermen made fun of the old man and he was not angry. Others, of the older fishermen, looked at him and were sad. But they did not show it and they spoke politely about the current and the depths they had drifted their lines at and the steady good weather and of what they had seen. The successful fishermen of that day were already in and had butchered their marlin out and carried them laid full length across two planks, with two men staggering at the end of each plank, to the fish house where they waited for the ice truck to carry them to the market in Havana. Those who had caught sharks had taken them to the shark factory on the other side of the cove where they were hoisted on a block and tackle, their livers removed, their fins cut off and their hides skinned out and their flesh cut into strips for salting.

When the wind was in the east a smell came across the harbour from the shark factory; but today there was only the faint edge of the odour because the wind had backed into the north and then dropped off and it was pleasant and sunny on the Terrace.

"Santiago," the boy said.

"Yes," the old man said. He was holding his glass and thinking of many years ago.

"Can I go out to get sardines for you for tomorrow?"

"No. Go and play baseball. I can still row and Rogelio will throw the net."

"I would like to go. If I cannot fish with you, I would like to serve in some way."

"You bought me a beer," the old man said. "You are already a man."

"How old was I when you first took me in a boat?"

"Five and you nearly were killed when I brought the fish in too green and he nearly tore the boat to pieces. Can you remember?"

"I can remember the tail slapping and banging and the thwart breaking and the noise of the clubbing. I can remember you throwing me into the bow where the wet coiled lines were and feeling the whole boat shiver and the noise of you clubbing him like chopping a tree down and the sweet blood smell all over me."

Philip Rivers. 

:fish:

6 hours ago, T0mShane said:

#MeToo

7 hours ago, T0mShane said:

Easily one of my favorite QBs to watch play. 

7 hours ago, slimjasi said:

I would say Darnold is considerably better athlete than Winston (more agile) and throws better on the run. I think Winston probably has a better arm. Interesting comparison though. 

I think this is probably true. While we’re at it, Darnold never won a national title, but he never swiped crab legs from a Publix, either.

People don't seem to want to go with Farve but that's what I see. Maybe mixed in with a little Jeter. 

Sure he has horrible mechanics but he is amazingly accurate throwing with his feet out of whack or even with both feet off the ground. 

He needs to learn to set his feet more when he can, and he will make some mistakes...like Farve

He will also throw many unbelievable highlight reel pases throwing across his body on the run.

That kind of stuff really screws up a defense and the running game will benefit from it. 

12 hours ago, T0mShane said:

Ben is the most underrated QB of this generation like his '04 1st rd classmates are the 2 most overrated of this generation but he's not the best of this generation though I don't think I'd take anyone besides Brady(and maybe Rodgers) over him.

2 hours ago, NYs Stepchild said:

He's no Sam Darnold. Don't put that kind of pressure on the kid.

Honestly though, if he is what he should be, we’ll be comparing rookies to him in a few years. To me, he isn’t comparable and is his own player. 

16 hours ago, nyjunc said:

Ben is the most underrated QB of this generation like his '04 1st rd classmates are the 2 most overrated of this generation but he's not the best of this generation though I don't think I'd take anyone besides Brady(and maybe Rodgers) over him.

1336075413637_9450087.png

On 4/29/2018 at 6:58 PM, T0mShane said:

Maybe we finally have a guy who can get a team up the field in a minute and a half a few times a game?  That gives a defense fits when they realize they are going to have to drop off and abandon their original game plan.  We never have QBs that can do that. It is always 3 downs and a first.  One mistake ends a drive.  That is no way to live.

Archived