best free aggent signing

jets rooter

believe it or not.dimitri flowers was the best free agent signing for the jets. the jets have been without a talented fullback for so many years. although many have taken lightly the fullback position.the reality is that it is a need which the jets have needed for the offense.

1 minute ago, jets rooter said:

believe it or not.dimitri flowers was the best free agent signing for the jets. the jets have been without a talented fullback for so many years. although many have taken lightly the fullback position.the reality is that it is a need which the jets have needed for the offense.

In some of the offenses we ran the past decade the FB was not a key component. It was a larger part of the run game when Rex was here but had little to no meaning in Gailey's offense. The Bates/Dennison  version of the WCO seems to employ more FB sets which is why Flowers was drafted.

Just now, jets rooter said:

Team defenses have been getting pretty sh*tty overall in the NFL. Jags, Denver, Vikes, not that many good defenses, so having a guy that can punch you in the mouth, and take a dumpoff trucking down the field will be fun. Defenses in the AFC East should be pretty damn weak in 2018. Player for player, right now the Jets on paper have the best in the divison.

58 minutes ago, jets rooter said:

I would have preferred  giving Chris Warren III a shot but for my own selfish reasons. Yet, big old strong dude who can catch the ball well. 

1 hour ago, jets rooter said:

Watching Mayfield's tape leading up to the draft this guy really stood out as a strong all-around player.  I'm surprised he wasn't drafted.  Must have been his forty time -- which doesn't always tell the story.

One of the most underrated guys in recent Jets history is FB Tony Richardson.  He helped unlock the running game for the Jets in those 2008-2010 years when Thomas Jones and Shonn Greene were leading the offense to AFC Champ Game appearances.  I don't think ground and pound can work full-time in the NFL anymore but the Jaguars showed you can still lean on a running game with an average QB and great defense.  I'd have no problem emphasizing the running game again.

Definitely Flowers

It wouldn’t surprise me at all if he wins the FB spot as a rookie. I actually expect him to.

He’s a good lead blocker, he has reliable hands and you can give him some short yardage/goal line carries. 

I thought he would get drafted in roughly the same area as Jaylen Samuels.

2 hours ago, jets rooter said:

Even though Spencer Long is not exactly a stellar O-lineman, he's actually light years better than what we had, so I see that as our best FA signing. Again, it's not so much complimentary to Long, but an indictment on Wesley Johnson and Macc's refusal to adequately address the OL.

On 4/30/2018 at 3:54 PM, Untouchable said:

Definitely Flowers

It wouldn’t surprise me at all if he wins the FB spot as a rookie. I actually expect him to.

He’s a good lead blocker, he has reliable hands and you can give him some short yardage/goal line carries. 

I thought he would get drafted in roughly the same area as Jaylen Samuels.

It would be nice to have a reliable checkdown target for a young QB. If he is good in pass protect, bring it on!

I actually posted here the Jets should draft flowers late. I also liked Hines but maybe cannon is similar. FYI flowers has zero dropped passes in college. He also had one game last season as the lead runner and did well. 

We also picked up Green and Enwere. Two very different backs. Along with flowers and cannon,  all excite me more than McGuire. 

3 hours ago, RESNewYork said:

I actually posted here the Jets should draft flowers late. I also liked Hines but maybe cannon is similar. FYI flowers has zero dropped passes in college. He also had one game last season as the lead runner and did well. 

We also picked up Green and Enwere. Two very different backs. Along with flowers and cannon,  all excite me more than McGuire. 

Yes. McGuire seemed very pedestrian.

flowers had the production at OU. Enwere is a total beast too. Green and Cannon both have fantastic speed.

our team is miles ahead of where we were a few years ago. It’s gonna be hard to make cuts.

1 hour ago, BrickTamland said:

Yes. McGuire seemed very pedestrian.

flowers had the production at OU. Enwere is a total beast too. Green and Cannon both have fantastic speed.

our team is miles ahead of where we were a few years ago. It’s gonna be hard to make cuts.

It’s hard to look dynamic at RB when you are being gang tackled the moment you take a hand-off. McGuire didn’t look too pedestrian when he busted off that 69 yard TD!

give him some running lanes and space and you’ll see a different back

On 4/30/2018 at 2:55 PM, Bruce Harper said:

Watching Mayfield's tape leading up to the draft this guy really stood out as a strong all-around player.  I'm surprised he wasn't drafted.  Must have been his forty time -- which doesn't always tell the story.

I wonder what Moose Johnson or Tom Rathmans 40 times were, lol.

3 hours ago, redlichtie said:

It’s hard to look dynamic at RB when you are being gang tackled the moment you take a hand-off. McGuire didn’t look too pedestrian when he busted off that 69 yard TD!

give him some running lanes and space and you’ll see a different back

Lol! He had handoffs last year where the defenders were fighting him for! Poor guy had 3 defenders hitting him in the backfield. That off tackle play to the left was a f*cking nightmare between Wesley & Carpenter. How many times did defenders shoot the gap & take down our RBs in the backfield. 

Lets see how he does in the zone blocking scheme that Dennison is putting in. Like most RBs, you can't run without a lane, there might be 5 backs in history that could do almost everything on their own.

On 30/04/2018 at 7:13 PM, CTJetsFan said:

If Flowers shows promise early in camp, it makes me wonder if they'll move Lawrence Thomas back to d-line.

More likely they'd let him go ... if he'd shown enough at d-line they'd have kept him there.

2 hours ago, Jetster said:

Lol! He had handoffs last year where the defenders were fighting him for! Poor guy had 3 defenders hitting him in the backfield. That off tackle play to the left was a f*cking nightmare between Wesley & Carpenter. How many times did defenders shoot the gap & take down our RBs in the backfield. 

Lets see how he does in the zone blocking scheme that Dennison is putting in. Like most RBs, you can't run without a lane, there might be 5 backs in history that could do almost everything on their own.

Hey man he’s not exciting to me. If you like him I hope you’re right.

1 hour ago, jamesr said:

More likely they'd let him go ... if he'd shown enough at d-line they'd have kept him there.

I agree and you would think so, but who knows with this coaching staff. They're the same ones who had Sheldon trying to play OLB:blink:

On 4/30/2018 at 2:13 PM, CTJetsFan said:

If Flowers shows promise early in camp, it makes me wonder if they'll move Lawrence Thomas back to d-line.

Bowels can never have enough DL. As far as the Black Russian he can block and catch the ball so he should be a good fit. 

On 4/30/2018 at 12:58 PM, 56mehl56 said:

In some of the offenses we ran the past decade the FB was not a key component. It was a larger part of the run game when Rex was here but had little to no meaning in Gailey's offense. The Bates/Dennison  version of the WCO seems to employ more FB sets which is why Flowers was drafted.

Not trying to be a d*ck here but, Flowers was not drafted. 

I do agree with what you say here other than that

On 4/30/2018 at 1:54 PM, jets rooter said:

Fullback is not really a NEED for any team in the NFL anymore. Just saying. 

BUT- I love Flowers. He can catch, he can run like a RB (although admittedly not fast), he can pass block. Run-blocking is a bit suspect.  I see him more as a RB that has to convert to FB for the NFL. If he can make that transition he can earn a spot on the roster.   

7 hours ago, Jetster said:

Exactly, Forte got next to nothing going either, only guy that really made something out if nothing was Powell, I think he’a So underrated. Having a bigger back like Crowell who can actually blast a few holes is a smart move, hopefully improved lineplay plus Crowell means better running game all round. That and the fact Dennison has traditionally gotten production out of lesser talents 

Archived