A look ahead

derp

Since it’s never too early to have a feel for what roster movement will look like going forward, I took a look at who the Jets currently have signed through the 2019 season. Think it could be interesting in terms of shaping the roster going forward. Only two who are currently signed on OTC that I excluded are Terrell Sinkfield and Kacy Rodgers. 

Short story is the top end of the WR depth chart, LG, and OLB will almost definitely need to be addressed in some way shape or form. Plus QB and OL definitely need depth. And a kicker. Roster actually shapes up kind of okay for a team that needs to add weapons to aid in the development of a young quarterback.

-Darnold may be the only quarterback (Hackenberg is the other one). Obviously will be some additions there.

-Potentially three running backs with Crowell signed to a multi year deal plus McGuire and Cannon. Not sure what kind of deal Flowers got but he could be a long term answer at FB as well.

-Receiver is pretty bare. Just three recent draftees in Stewart, Hansen, and Peake (Assuming all stick). Projected top four this year all out.

-Tight end will be interesting since there are two recent draft picks (Herndon and Leggett) plus a pickup drafted in 2017 (Hodges). Those guys are all arguably competing for spots this year. Hodges is a freak athlete so I wonder if they try to develop him. Should be interesting to follow.

-The offensive line potentially has four starters returning (Beachum, Long, Winters, and Shell) plus maybe Ben Braden depending on what happens this season.

-Defensive line should hopefully not need much additional attention but I can see why they drafted guys this year. Williams obviously around plus the 2019 draftees Shepherd and Fatukasi. Pennell was signed for multiple years and Claude Pelon as well.

-Inside linebacker should be fine with Lee and Williamson. Pierre-Louis should hang onto a roster spot there as well.

-The edge at OLB is another story with just Jenkins and Donahue.

-Corner is also pretty stocked. Assuming Burris, Robinson, Jones, or Clark becomes starting caliber across from Burris you’ve got those guys with Nickerson hopefully stepping in as a nickel.

-Safety obviously is fine with Adams and Maye plus Brooks too.

-No kicker but Hennessy and Edwards have LS and P covered.

2019 draft will feature 3 elite LT prospects and multiple edge rushers.  I hope we dont suck enough to be near getting Bosa, but I think if we are picking in the teens which is likely, we can fill a big need and be ready to be a very good team in 2019 when you factor in free agency.

10 minutes ago, BCJet said:

2019 draft will feature 3 elite LT prospects and multiple edge rushers.  I hope we dont suck enough to be near getting Bosa, but I think if we are picking in the teens which is likely, we can fill a big need and be ready to be a very good team in 2019 when you factor in free agency.

via mmqsi

THE HOG MOLLIES

Trey Adams, Washington: Despite a torn ACL last October, the 6' 8", 330-pound behemoth might be one of the few sure things in 2019. As the Seattle Times pointed out, Adams was the only true freshman to start on the offensive line for Chris Petersen… ever. While I’ve seen his lateral movement be problematic at times, he’s a mountain of a man and a dominant future NFL tackle.

Jonah Williams, Alabama: ESPN’s Mel Kiper tapped Williams and Greg Little from Ole Miss as top 10 picks in the 2019 draft (God help us all). I thought Williams’ tape against a vicious Clemson offensive line was more than formidable, and is as close to NFL competition as he’ll get until the real thing. He’s got the perfect mix of tactical patience and straight up mauler, which is exactly what a good offensive lineman needs.

Greg Little, Ole Miss: It’s been fun watching 2019 prospects because you can re-watch 2017 games with a different perspective. Here’s Little vs. Alabama. It was noticeable how some of his second-level blocking was solely responsible for some of the Rebels’ best offensive plays that night. It seems to me that Little will be one of those combine warrior tackles, unless his play speed is deceiving.

Rashan Gary, EDGE, Michigan: A cool thing about watching Gary: He is such a creative player. Against Wisconsin last year he not only excelled at the standard EDGE responsibilities, but he’s lining up in ways and angles I’ve never seen before, approaching different speed rushes almost like a punt or field goal block.

48 minutes ago, C Mart said:

via mmqsi

THE HOG MOLLIES

Trey Adams, Washington: Despite a torn ACL last October, the 6' 8", 330-pound behemoth might be one of the few sure things in 2019. As the Seattle Times pointed out, Adams was the only true freshman to start on the offensive line for Chris Petersen… ever. While I’ve seen his lateral movement be problematic at times, he’s a mountain of a man and a dominant future NFL tackle.

Jonah Williams, Alabama: ESPN’s Mel Kiper tapped Williams and Greg Little from Ole Miss as top 10 picks in the 2019 draft (God help us all). I thought Williams’ tape against a vicious Clemson offensive line was more than formidable, and is as close to NFL competition as he’ll get until the real thing. He’s got the perfect mix of tactical patience and straight up mauler, which is exactly what a good offensive lineman needs.

Greg Little, Ole Miss: It’s been fun watching 2019 prospects because you can re-watch 2017 games with a different perspective. Here’s Little vs. Alabama. It was noticeable how some of his second-level blocking was solely responsible for some of the Rebels’ best offensive plays that night. It seems to me that Little will be one of those combine warrior tackles, unless his play speed is deceiving.

Rashan Gary, EDGE, Michigan: A cool thing about watching Gary: He is such a creative player. Against Wisconsin last year he not only excelled at the standard EDGE responsibilities, but he’s lining up in ways and angles I’ve never seen before, approaching different speed rushes almost like a punt or field goal block.

Its possible that the strength of OL in next draft is why we didnt reach for OL this year.

7 minutes ago, johnnysd said:

Its possible that the strength of OL in next draft is why we didnt reach for OL this year.

We only really have a 1st next year.  Tough to count on what comes in the third.  

That first round pick could be almost anything, other than a QB.  

5 minutes ago, varjet said:

We only really have a 1st next year.  Tough to count on what comes in the third.  

We will likely be drafting Top 10 so should be well positioned for one of that OL group. I also still have to think they are considering moving Leonard.

11 minutes ago, johnnysd said:

We will likely be drafting Top 10 so should be well positioned for one of that OL group. I also still have to think they are considering moving Leonard.

? I’m not sure why you’d be thinking that but they would have to get a 1st rd. Pick to even consider that. MacDaddy would have a lot of explaining to do

1 hour ago, C Mart said:

via mmqsi

THE HOG MOLLIES

I don’t know about any of you guys and gals but the adoption of the term hog mollies sucks 

3 hours ago, varjet said:

Depending where they draft maybe they trade down 8-10 picks and pick up a 2nd. Long way off. 

4 hours ago, 32EBoozer said:

? I’m not sure why you’d be thinking that but they would have to get a 1st rd. Pick to even consider that. MacDaddy would have a lot of explaining to do

He's a good but bon impact player unlikely to get a second contract

6 hours ago, BCJet said:

I’d be amazed if Mac picked a Olineman before the 3rd round. Even that is stretch

Archived