Terrelle Pryor... Possible bounce back year?

Marshmello

37 minutes ago, Philc1 said:

Francesa yesterday made it sound like we shouldn’t play Darnold until the year 2030 when we finally rebuild the OL and get some receivers.  We already have both but hey

So glad that Jet hating fat f*$# is back.

Our receiving crops are intriguing, really a mixed bag. Kearse is the solid known quantity, need at least one guy like that. Anderson can become great if he stops being a knucklehead, and his elite speed makes him an exciting player. Enunwa and Pryor are the wild cards, the former was really becoming something special before he got hurt, and we don't know if he'll ever come back the same. Pryor is also going to be interesting. How many converted qb's become 1000 yard receivers? He's a phenomenal athlete, and was amazing that one year in Cleveland. Who knows what he'll bring to the table for us. But pryor, enunwa and anderson are exciting players, if not great ones. btw, was that picture of Pryor's injury a swollen ankle? Couldn't decipher it. 

1 hour ago, FidelioJet said:

Pryor had over 1,000 in '16 (injured last year it seems)

Andersen had 941 yards and 7 TD's last year (with Josh McCown and Bryce Petty as the QB)

Not sure either one of those guys would be considered "depth" players.

I'd be curious what Anderson stats were while McCown was QB

3 hours ago, FidelioJet said:

If he was truly hurt last year and that was the reason for the drop in production we have a legit WR core.  Maybe not the best but certainly enough to be a "real" NFL offense. 

He was hurt, but I don't think it was such a drop in production.  It was a drop in volume.  His catch percentage was pretty low, even in his "good" year.  2016 he caught 55% of his targets for 13.1 ypc.  2017 he caught 54.1% for 12 ypc.  It wasn't some huge drop.  His efficiency numbers were almost identical. 

If all goes right, we will likely have a solid, not spectacular, receiving corps.

If Enunwa is healthy, if Robby stays out of trouble, if Pryor returns to 2016 form and if Kearse plays like last year, then that is a very solid quartet.  All 4 guys have the potential to put up 60 - 80 receptions and 800 - 1,000 yards.  And it is not just potential, they have all done it at some point in the last two seasons:  Pryor and Enunwa in 2016; and Anderson and Kearse last year.  

However, if all does not go well, we are paper thin behind these guys.  And the only guys under contract for 2019 are Peake, Stewart and Hansen, none of whom are locks to make the roster.  Robby is RFA and likely will be back, unless he gets into more trouble, but Kearse, Enunwa and Pryor are all FAs after the season.  Hopefully Darnold shows enough this season that FAs (either our own or others) will want to sign with us next season.

Pryor was hurt all year.  Barely practiced after the first week.  If you have ever destroyed your ankle, you would understand. He tried to tough it out, but just couldn’t do it.   I think he has a big year.  McCown is already familiar with him.

8 hours ago, BCJet said:

Pryor has size and speed that cant be taught but he is not a good route runner and has never been lauded for a good work ethic or being a good teammate.  This is important because Robby Anderson has as much talent, similar off the field problems, and doesnt need any bad influences.

That being said, I think our WR coach Karl Dorrell has done a great job improving Robby's on field play and he could potentially do the same for Pryor.  

IMO I hope we use a base offense of 2 WR Robby and Kearse, Enunwa as the H-back and a TE to help block.  Let Hansen and Pryor be the next 2 WRs off the bench.

Based on what?  The first part of your sentence can be easily dis proven just by watching the video posted where you see him running several different types of routes and getting open with ease.  In the case where he is not open, he is still strong enough to fight off the defender and get the ball.  To your second point I have not seen that posted anywhere.  I don't know where this kind of stuff comes from.  Pryor had no issues in Cleveland and was injured much of last year.  He is probably the best all around receiver on the team and I can't wait to see him in green and white. 

6 hours ago, derp said:

My perception from afar is that Macc is trying to take a Packers-ish approach to building a receiver corps. Less of the absolute elite #1 guys, but more cases where you're going to get a mismatch somewhere on the field. As it shapes up right now the #1 and #2 receivers aren't great, but I think our #3 and #4 guys can regularly win against corners who are farther down on the depth chart.

I totally disagree. Both Anderson and Pryor have the potential to be great and can also regularly win against top corners.  Anderson just missed 1,000 yards last year.  Pryor was a 1,000 receiver a year ago.  Who do you think they made those catches and yards against?  We need to stop shortchanging these guys and give the credit they deserve.   Our top 4 receivers are going to be a handful for opposing defenses. 

3 hours ago, bealeb319 said:

I can easily think of 50 receivers I would take over either of them.

Sent from my [device_name] using http://JetNation.com mobile app

in 2017 there were 15 guys with thousand yard seasons...

only 20 with more than Andersen and 30 with more than Kearse.

http://www.nfl.com/stats/categorystats?seasonType=REG&d-447263-n=1&d-447263-o=2&d-447263-p=1&d-447263-s=RECEIVING_YARDS&tabSeq=0&season=2017&Submit=Go&experience=&archive=false&statisticCategory=RECEIVING&conference=null&qualified=false

Sorry had been working on your list but am at work so that has gotten in my way. There are better receivers who have worse stats due to injury or constant multiple players covering them. No one is game planning for our receiver corps

1 minute ago, bealeb319 said:

Sorry had been working on your list but am at work so that has gotten in my way. There are better receivers who have worse stats due to injury or constant multiple players covering them. No one is game planning for our receiver corps

I don't disagree that there are better recievers I just think many are underestimating our WR's because the offense mostly sucks and that mostly because we haven't had a QB in over a decade.

53 minutes ago, JetBlue said:

I totally disagree. Both Anderson and Pryor have the potential to be great and can also regularly win against top corners.  Anderson just missed 1,000 yards last year.  Pryor was a 1,000 receiver a year ago.  Who do you think they made those catches and yards against?  We need to stop shortchanging these guys and give the credit they deserve.   Our top 4 receivers are going to be a handful for opposing defenses. 

I don't think that has anything to do with the point that I was making.

A team like the Packers had several good receivers, but the strength of that offense is the fact that several guys need attention rather than one guy needing a ton of attention and other guys being able to play off of that. Jordy Nelson was able to beat #1 coverage, but it was also harder to roll coverages to him because there were multiple threats on the field - that was a benefit to him and everyone else on the field.

They play differently than the Falcons for example - where defenses have to focus in on Julio because he'll destroy them otherwise and other receivers benefit. The Bengals are very similar with AJ Green. In those cases the top guys require so much attention that the next tier of players benefit from less coverage - and the top guys are so good that they produce anyway.

My point was I think the Jets seem to want to build a receiving attack more like the Packers than the Falcons or Bengals which is why they've consistently invested mid round picks in the position and haven't made a huge push for a high paid #1 type guy. I think Anderson and Pryor are good - I don't think they'll ever be in the Jones or Green caliber. If you do then we just disagree.

1 hour ago, JetBlue said:

I am a fan of both Anderson and Pryor.  OTOH, be careful about annointing them based on 1,000 yard or near 1,000 yard seasons.  They got those on crappy teams.  Bad teams are behind and throw all the time. Anderson was 19th in targets and 21st in yards.  Decent enough, but how tight are teams covering the Jets?  How often in prevent?  Things to consider and they get called more into question with Pryor who was 12th in targets and 22nd in yards for 2016 with a Browns team that was constantly facing prevent.  They are both good receivers, but there was a big difference between Desean Jackson's 1,000 yards and Terrelle Pryor's 1,000 yards in 2016.  

Based on the above, I rate Anderson's 2017 considerably ahead of Pryor's 2016.  My point is exemplified by scoring where Anderson was tied for 19th and Pryor tied for 48th.  No matter the game or the score, that is what teams are trying to stop.  Especially in the prevent where they may not care about yards or FGs, they just want to shorten the game.

10 hours ago, Jetsfan80 said:

Yes, I think he will produce at least like a WR2 for us.  The injury + potentially a relationship that never really developed with Cousins are likely explanations for his downturn in production last year compared to the year before. 

If he'd produced in 2017 like he did in 2016, he likely wouldn't be here.  His market would have been larger than it was this offseason.   Works out well for us. 

I think this is likely.  The problem is that I think the Jets have a lot of WR2s on the roster.  We certainly don't have a #1 IMO.  Robby Anderson, Quincy Enunwa, Pryor, Kearse......all are in the vicinity of what I'd consider a #2 WR with some being better than others.  Let's see if any of them can emerge and take a big step.

7 hours ago, Lith said:

If all goes right, we will likely have a solid, not spectacular, receiving corps.

If Enunwa is healthy, if Robby stays out of trouble, if Pryor returns to 2016 form and if Kearse plays like last year, then that is a very solid quartet.  All 4 guys have the potential to put up 60 - 80 receptions and 800 - 1,000 yards.  And it is not just potential, they have all done it at some point in the last two seasons:  Pryor and Enunwa in 2016; and Anderson and Kearse last year.  

However, if all does not go well, we are paper thin behind these guys.  And the only guys under contract for 2019 are Peake, Stewart and Hansen, none of whom are locks to make the roster.  Robby is RFA and likely will be back, unless he gets into more trouble, but Kearse, Enunwa and Pryor are all FAs after the season.  Hopefully Darnold shows enough this season that FAs (either our own or others) will want to sign with us next season.

Man, that's a lot of ifs.

1 hour ago, #27TheDominator said:

I am a fan of both Anderson and Pryor.  OTOH, be careful about annointing them based on 1,000 yard or near 1,000 yard seasons.  They got those on crappy teams.  Bad teams are behind and throw all the time. Anderson was 19th in targets and 21st in yards.  Decent enough, but how tight are teams covering the Jets?  How often in prevent?  Things to consider and they get called more into question with Pryor who was 12th in targets and 22nd in yards for 2016 with a Browns team that was constantly facing prevent.  They are both good receivers, but there was a big difference between Desean Jackson's 1,000 yards and Terrelle Pryor's 1,000 yards in 2016.  

Based on the above, I rate Anderson's 2017 considerably ahead of Pryor's 2016.  My point is exemplified by scoring where Anderson was tied for 19th and Pryor tied for 48th.  No matter the game or the score, that is what teams are trying to stop.  Especially in the prevent where they may not care about yards or FGs, they just want to shorten the game.

This is interesting, and a really good point, but we were in a lot of close games, and this is a passing league. Can't say much about Pryor because I honestly haven't watched him play but I think Anderson made a lot of plays and he did have a great year in my opinion (and not because we were always behind and needed to throw--just my take).

I don't disagree that there are better recievers I just think many are underestimating our WR's because the offense mostly sucks and that mostly because we haven't had a QB in over a decade.

Our offense is nothing scary even with a decent qb. I honestly think our best threat is enunwa who is coming off a major injury

17 minutes ago, bealeb319 said:

Our offense is nothing scary even with a decent qb. I honestly think our best threat is enunwa who is coming off a major injury

So you weren't on the Kearse train last year when he was cranking out those 1st downs? And Robby when he was catching those deep bombs? Even Kerley was doing well for a bit.

So you weren't on the Kearse train last year when he was cranking out those 1st downs? And Robby when he was catching those deep bombs? Even Kerley was doing well for a bit.
I support the team always. I am always on their team I am just trying to keep expectations and reality close here

7 minutes ago, bealeb319 said:

I support the team always. I am always on their team I am just trying to keep expectations and reality close here

I get it, I am with you. Expectations are basically everything. We have some capable players and that's my expectation. Go out and do your damn job.

I get it, I am with you. Expectations are basically everything. We have some capable players and that's my expectation. Go out and do your damn job.
My hopes are that we begin to build chemistry this season on offense and defense. I want to see the defense work as a team and on offense I would love to see some of the younger kids get in with darnold and make some plays. Legett Stewart Robbie Peake hansen. A pipe dream would be that Devin Smith can stay healthy make the team and do something.

17 hours ago, derp said:

I don't think that has anything to do with the point that I was making.

A team like the Packers had several good receivers, but the strength of that offense is the fact that several guys need attention rather than one guy needing a ton of attention and other guys being able to play off of that. Jordy Nelson was able to beat #1 coverage, but it was also harder to roll coverages to him because there were multiple threats on the field - that was a benefit to him and everyone else on the field.

They play differently than the Falcons for example - where defenses have to focus in on Julio because he'll destroy them otherwise and other receivers benefit. The Bengals are very similar with AJ Green. In those cases the top guys require so much attention that the next tier of players benefit from less coverage - and the top guys are so good that they produce anyway.

My point was I think the Jets seem to want to build a receiving attack more like the Packers than the Falcons or Bengals which is why they've consistently invested mid round picks in the position and haven't made a huge push for a high paid #1 type guy. I think Anderson and Pryor are good - I don't think they'll ever be in the Jones or Green caliber. If you do then we just disagree.

I agree with premise regarding the philosophy Macc is using.

Very few receivers are in the Geeen or Jones category so no need to go there.  However I like Anderson and Pryor's ceiling and with a real qb throwing to them there is no reason to assume they can't improve on their previous performance and production.  Having Enunwa and Krease will make it difficult for opposing secondaries to just focus on them.   

Archived