How good is Shane Ray

David Harris

This isn't one of those knee jerk this guys available so....

I remember Ray was great in school, not the best measurable, inspiring back story.  He's now redundant in Denver and will probably be a FA next off-season and EDGE is our biggest need.

Is he good?  Worth over paying in FA?? 

------------------

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000000930987/article/denver-broncos-decline-to-pick-up-shane-rays-option

Loaded with pass rushers, the Broncos are preparing for life beyond Shane Ray.

The team is not expected to pick up the outside linebacker's fifth-year option, a source told NFL Network's James Palmer.

A 2015 first-round draft pick, Ray finds himself buried in a crowded position group after Denver used the fifth-overall pick in last week's draft to nab celebrated pass-rushing prospect Bradley Chubb.

With All-Pro Von Miller and the promising Shaq Barrett also in-house, the Broncos are willing to let Ray walk after this season. It's worth noting that Barrett is also set to become an unrestricted free agent, but all four of Denver's top sack-masters are on board for at least one more year.

Ray piled up eight sacks in 2016, but struggled through a wrist injury last season to notch just one takedown over eight appearances. Brought aboard as the heir to DeMarcus Ware, Ray is now learning how fast the scenery changes at the NFL level.

Turning 25 this month, Ray is guaranteed another shot elsewhere if and when he officially hits free agency next offseason. As for the Broncos, it's Miller and Chubb -- deep into the future.

Got busted for weed before he was drafted but I think he's been a good boy since 

If he actually makes it all the way to free agency he has to be a priority, he is coming off his rookie deal and still young 

Meh

I sure as sh*t wouldn’t trade any picks for him. We’re already working without a 2nd next year.

He’s a one dimensional player. Sucks against the run, decent situational passrusher. Gets banged up a lot too.

There are at least 5 other guys I would target ahead of him as an edgerusher next FA period, but he wouldn’t be a terrible pickup on a 2-3 year deal at around $4 million per.

Ray has been just ok considering he's playing opposite of Von Miller.  It will be 
interesting to see his production this year considering DEN didn't pick up his 
option.  We should definitely look into him when he hits the market because we need
as many OLB options as possible   

Mike Garafolo‏ @MikeGarafolo 

The #Jaguars elected not to exercise the fifth-year option on DE Dante Fowler for 2019, source says. However, they believe he’s an ascending player and hope to get a long-term deal to keep the former Gator in Florida.

Yes, I know PFF is not the bible, but I don't watch the Broncos very much, so I can't give my opinion. They had Shane Ray rated poorly last year:

https://www.profootballfocus.com/nfl/players/shane-ray/9456

Fowler too:https://www.profootballfocus.com/nfl/players/dante-fowler/9436

Danielle Hunter and Shaq Barrett would be interesting. I think Barrett will definitely shake free after the Chubb selection. 

4 hours ago, #27TheDominator said:

Did @T0mShane jump on the table yet?  Bang that drum!

So, if the DL alignment is Anderson/Shepherd—McClendon—Leo, what’s the better LB core behind them?

Mauldin—Darron Lee—Avery Williamson—Jordan Jenkins

OR

Shane Ray—Kevin Minter—Avery Williamson—Jenkins

Answer: Ray is the guy who makes Leo and Shepherd better. Lee is the guy that needs Leo and Shepherd to make HIM better.

50 minutes ago, T0mShane said:

So, if the DL alignment is Anderson/Shepherd—McClendon—Leo, what’s the better LB core behind them?

Mauldin—Darron Lee—Avery Williamson—Jordan Jenkins

OR

Shane Ray—Kevin Minter—Avery Williamson—Jenkins

Answer: Ray is the guy who makes Leo and Shepherd better. Lee is the guy that needs Leo and Shepherd to make HIM better.

It is going to be an interesting conversation when the Jets need to decide to pick up Lee's fifth year option.  

With all the big guys the Jets have now, would you pay Leo what the Jets paid Wikerson, potentially on a franchise tag?

Wouldn't it be better to put the big guys on the line and pay money to LBs who can make plays?

7 minutes ago, varjet said:

It is going to be an interesting conversation when the Jets need to decide to pick up Lee's fifth year option.  

With all the big guys the Jets have now, would you pay Leo what the Jets paid Wikerson, potentially on a franchise tag?

Wouldn't it be better to put the big guys on the line and pay money to LBs who can make plays?

Fifth year option is gonna be $9.5 mil for Lee. No way can they justify that for that level of production, especially when the going rate for decent ILB’s in free agency is $5-$7 mil per.

Archived