Yup....Execs though Rosen was an ass and the Jets played everone lol

HighPitch

14 minutes ago, MDL_JET said:

We’re defiantly losing Hermindenger. Macs basically been saying he was his right hand man in all this. Play it cool Mac. Cmon. 

https://jetswire.usatoday.com/2018/03/28/everything-you-need-to-know-about-jets-executive-brian-heimerdinger/

As the Jets made their college QB tour across the country, several familiar faces could be seen scouting the talent.

There was general manager Mike Maccagnan, head coach Todd Bowles and offensive coordinator Jeremy Bates. Then there was Brian Heimerdinger, the Jets’ vice president of player personnel.

A member of the organization for a few years now, Heimerdinger has quickly worked his way up in New York front office. At this point, he’s Macacagan’s right-hand man. Heimerdinger met with players at the combine and has been scouting and working out the draft’s top quarterback prospects.

Given his increased involvement with the team, it’s easy to imagine a general managerial role is in his future.

In his current role, Heimerdinger oversees both the college and pro personnel departments while assisting with player contract negotiations.

With all of that in mind, let’s dive a little deeper into Heimerdinger’s background as the Jets ask him to help decide on a franchise signal caller.

Heimerdinger is the son of late Mike Heimerdinger, who spent 16 years as an NFL assistant coach.

The elder Heimerdinger coached the Broncos, Titans and Jets. He was the offensive coordinator on Herm Edwards staff in 2005.

After Edwards was released from his contract, the Jets interviewed Mike Heimerdinger for the job, but he was passed over.

Although it was obvious he would have preferred to void his contract with the Jets, he was initially informed by new coach Eric Mangini that he would be retained as offensive coordinator. He was later released from his contract by the Jets as part of an undisclosed agreement.

Before joining the Jets front office, the younger Heimerdinger was in St. Louis as a scout and player personnel analyst.

During his time with the Rams, his responsibilities included evaluating NFL rosters and completing positional crosschecks of quarterbacks, tight ends and wide receivers for free agency.

He also helped prepare advance scouting reports for the offensive and defen- sive coaching staffs, helped maintain waiver wire transactions and helped execute free agent workouts.

Before joining St. Louis, Heimerdinger was in Houston. There he was a scouting intern from 2010-2011, working under Maccagnan.

He played wide receiver at Colorado State and transferred to the University of Northern Colorado to finish his collegiate career. This is how Heimerdinger got his football start and why he spends a great deal of time scouting wide receivers.

Heimerdinger’s father died of cancer in September  2011.

The son helped found the Heimerdinger’s Foundation, a non-profit organization in the Nashville area that helps serve healthy and organic meals to those that are undergoing current cancer treatments.

Per the organization’s mission statement, it strives to be a resource for those undergoing cancer treatments by providing guidance, support, and organic meals.

1 hour ago, T0mShane said:

Whenever you see someone quote a scout, remember that most scouts would be working in the garden center at Home Depot were it not for the NFL.

Unlike Jet Nation posters who are all actually working at Home Depot or hoping to one day 

24 minutes ago, MDL_JET said:

We’re defiantly losing Hermindenger. Macs basically been saying he was his right hand man in all this. Play it cool Mac. Cmon. 

Macc needs to get Heimerdinger out of the building before Heimerdinger takes his job

2 hours ago, C Mart said:

And Mcc still has to pick them. People say they fall into his lap like it's a no-brainer to pick them. Well he could have passed on Leo and JAdams too. 

Michael Jordan fell into Portland's lap and they took Sam Bowie. you're right, you still have to put the right name on the card.

1 hour ago, JoJoTownsell1 said:

I still think we should have hired gettleman, signed Carson Palmer and drafted Sony Michael at 6. 

I know you're kidding but I must say, Gettleman sounds like an idiot when he talks. It's like I'm watching A Bronx Tale or The Departed. Sorry but I don't want Sonny running my team.

16 hours ago, slats said:

I guess the thought process here is that if Cleveland takes Barkley #1, then the Giants take Darnold #2? I don't know about that. 

If gettleman is telling the truth, he said had browns selected Barkley at 1, they would have taken Chubb. 

15 hours ago, slats said:

Personally, I think the leaks were real, that the Jets had genuine Mayfield love, but perhaps that was based on the general perception that Darnold would easily be gone in the first two picks. 

I agree with @NoBowles

I too thought that the leaks were genuine

Why do you think that the Jets were leaking their Mayfield pick?

10 minutes ago, Charlie Brown said:

I too thought that the leaks were genuine

Why do you think that the Jets were leaking their Mayfield pick?

I don't believe that anything masterful was going on, I think it just leaked. The team was paying a lot of attention to Mayfield, maybe his camp leaked the Jets love to prop him up as a top-three pick - at a minimum. Maybe someone in the Jets office caught wind of it and said something to the wrong someone. I don't know, but I just don't believe it was part of any strategy after thinking about it. 

Browns were either taking a QB or Barkley. If the Jets interest in Mayfield made them take the QB first rather than fourth, it only benefits them if it's not a QB the Jets wanted. Otherwise, it's probably better for them if the non-QB goes #1. I think the Jets board was Darnold then Mayfield. Losing their #2 choice #1 had to be a scare. 

Now if the Jets were falsely projecting Mayfield in an effort to get no one to trade ahead of them after the Browns pick (which could've been a solid reason), that strategy went out the window with the Browns pick. 

The Giants could've screwed it all up by taking Darnold there or trading to a team that wanted him. Was Barkley the only guy good enough to prevent them from trading out? Or would they have taken Chubb if Barkley was gone? That's the bigger question. If Cleveland taking Mayfield #1 gave the Giants their #1 choice at #2, you could start to think that there was something the Jets did to influence that, but then the timing's off. The Jets affection for Mayfield was well reported before there was any inkling that the Browns were even considering Mayfield. Did the Jets have a mole in the Browns office, knowing they wanted to go Barkley at #1 and Mayfield at #4? By all the accounts I read, the Browns broke late for Mayfield. So no, I don't think so. 

The Jets made a great trade to get up to #3 early for what was certainly a lot less than it would've been when the Colts were on the clock - if the Jets could've even gotten such a deal done at that time. Getting Darnold from there was, IMHO, dumb luck. I do think Darnold was their #1 guy, but they never expected him to be there. 

Josh Rosen: Where Most NFL Teams See an Enigma, the Arizona Cardinals See Their Future

By ALBERT BREER 

May 03, 2018

On Wednesday, I asked someone with a team that had been linked to Josh Rosen over the last few weeks if the interest there had been genuine. And I found out that in that club’s war room, a certain quote was raised that stuck with everyone.

“You know the former Princeton [basketball] coach Pete Carril?” this person said. “The saying he had was, ‘Don’t ever recruit a kid with a three-car garage and a long driveway.’”

I don’t know if Rosen had either of those things growing up in Manhattan Beach, Calif. The geography of that town would suggest he probably didn’t. But the point was made, and it’s been made over and over again by coaches and scouts in the lead-up to last Thursday: He’s spoiled, and entitled, and not made for pro football life.

And as a result, the NFL largely never really trusted the UCLA quarterback.

That’s why, coming out of last weekend, I think Rosen is the most interesting figure in a draft class full of stories that should be fascinating for years to come. The new Cardinal has been considered the next big thing for longer than most fans have known who Josh Allen or Sam Darnold are, and going back to a time when Baker Mayfield was seen as more gimmicky product of a college spread than NFL prospect.

Rosen is a prodigy. But he’s also an enigma, who fought a battle over the last few months that wasn’t really winnable—trying to get people who have a deep-seated belief built over three years on who he is, for better or worse, to change their minds through a series of dinners, 15-minute meetings in hotel rooms and workouts on campus.

That’s why I thought it was particularly interesting hearing, via the Cardinals’ web site, what GM Steve Keim and owner Michael Bidwill said in their first conversation with their new quarterback after trading up to get him with the No. 10 pick.

Cradling a desk phone, Keim referenced Rosen’s trip to visit the team in Arizona, which happened earlier in April: “I’m telling you, that visit that you made left a real impression on us.”

Keim handed the phone to new coach Steve Wilks, who then passed it to Bidwill, who reinforced the point: “Steve just said it, but your visit made a huge difference to us. We’re excited. We were impressed with you, impressed with what you did on the field, but really impressed once we were able to spend some time with you. Enjoy, and we’ll turn (the card) in here in a couple minutes.”

I’ve tried like hell over the last 24 hours to get more on the visit itself. The Cardinals, for now, are keeping specific details under lock and key. But clearly, they left that day with the idea that Rosen’s personality won’t get in the way of he and the team finding away to unlock the boundless potential he brings to the table.

In this week’s Game Plan, we’re going to try and help you get a little more enjoyment out of this year’s draft, by taking you inside the Packers’ process of trading down and then back up with a new GM; giving you insight into the Patriots’ quarterback vetting; explaining how the Bills played poker with their picks; and detailing why the Saints sold out for a pass-rusher.

We’re starting, though, with Rosen, and what the Cardinals saw in him, beyond the obvious physical talent, that made Keim and Wilks feel comfortable with tying their respective futures to the kid.

There are some basics I was able to ascertain. The Cardinals liked that Rosen had a 3.8 GPA as an economics major at UCLA. The Bruins staff told Arizona he was the smartest quarterback they’d ever coached. And Keim and Co. just flat wound up liking the kid, which was a big part of the battle for Rosen with everyone the last few months.

So for the Cardinals, it went beyond just seeing him as the class’ best and most mechanically sound passer. And that actually matched what I’ve heard from a few other teams that met with him, too. To a point, at least.

“He’s off the charts smart,” said one offensive coach who visited with Rosen. “He’s the most ready to play quickly. And I spent (a lot of time) with him and he was fine. Very sharp, quick minded. He’ll need to be challenged daily, or he’ll get bored. And he’s not overly charismatic, but sufficient there.”

“He’s the most talented thrower on tape,” said another coach who met with Rosen. “Just watch the tape, and you’ll say, ‘This guy can throw it.’ The only thing is he’s not great with people around his legs. And then there’s obviously the other stuff you have to sort through. I haven’t spent a ton of time with him, but I heard the rumors. There’s the talk, ‘Do you love it?’ You have to challenge him. And will he grind?”

“From a personality standpoint, I think you have to get to know him, and be around him for a good amount of time to really know what he’s all about,” said a coach from a third team. “The little I was able to gather, he is very confident in his ability, may come off as a cocky, but I think he means well. From a football standpoint, he was the most ready to step in and operate an NFL offense. … It won’t be too big for him.”

On the surface? All good. But dig into those quotes, and you see the qualifiers that have followed him. Needs to be challenged … Do you love it? …  May come off as cocky. And it almost doesn’t matter who it is talking about Rosen, there’s always a “but …” in the sentence.

That’s not new, either. Two summers ago, then-UCLA coach Jim Mora, over text, called Rosen’s potential “unlimited. He would’ve been the best QB in the draft this year [over Jared Goff and Carson Wentz]. There’s no question about his ability, only experience and, at this point, maturity.” Mora, to be sure, hasn’t cut out the caveats of late, either.

And if you keep digging, the contradictions continue.

On one hand, Rosen is the guy who those at the Manning Passing Academy last summer said was separated from the rest of the quarterbacks—a loner, who could galvanize neither the young campers, nor the older counselors (peers like Darnold and Allen) or coaches around him. He’s drawn comparison, personality-wise, to Jay Cutler, in his reputation for evaluating coaches, and shutting those he doesn’t respect intellectually down.

On the other, you have the kid who one ex-UCLA coach said was “always wanting to help [teammates]. He was very concerned with guys that didn’t have what he did. If he felt like someone needed something he could provide, that’s what mattered. He wasn’t going to be the rah-rah guy running down the bench yelling at guys.”

And a situation like that came up last fall, when star receiver Jordan Lasley was suspended for three games. Rosen stayed on top of his teammate during the ban, making sure he didn’t go in the tank and that he was taking care of himself. Lasley repaid Rosen with a career-high 162 yards on seven catches in his first game back, against Arizona State.

The concerns, too, go past that stuff. Rosen took too many hits as a collegian, which caused him to miss nine games over his last two years, and needs to learn to move better in general within the pocket. There are the questions on what he’d do if he suffers another bad concussion, given that his dad’s a doctor and he does have some level of financial stability. On the field, he can be overly aggressive with the ball.

Of course, the sum of that doesn’t change what a special talent he is, nor does that talent erase what Rosen has in his past.

“He’s not a bad kid, he’s just an acquired taste, and it really depends on who he’s with,” an exec with another quarterback-hungry team said. “I didn’t dislike him, he’s just kind of immature. … But he’s a good player. There’s the durability issue, he puts himself in harm’s way a lot, and you wonder whether his commitment’s there. And he’s not a big-framed kid, not the best athlete.

“But he is most natural passer I’ve seen since Andrew Luck.”

Ultimately, all those positives, including that big one, weren’t enough to get the teams in front of Arizona to bite, and he had a message for all them not 10 seconds after the pick was made.

“There were nine mistakes in front me,” he said.

Some teams looked at that as forced, and symbolic of all that’s wrong with Rosen. Other teams loved it. And so it goes with this 21-year-old.

What Rosen has becomes a matter of perspective. We’ll see whether or not the Cardinals see it right.

What we know, for now, is how much stock they put in whatever kind of garage or driveway Rosen’s parents have—not much.

https://www.si.com/nfl/2018/05/03/josh-rosen-arizona-cardinals-draft-mmqb-albert-breer?utm_campaign=themmqb&utm_medium=social&utm_source=twitter.com

17 hours ago, DoubleDown said:

What is the source of this information? No link, and nothing but quotes from anonymous insiders and execs. Most of these quotes seem like pure speculation to me and should be taken with a grain of salt in my opinion.

In any case, there were a few of us on this board who speculated that the Jets supposed love of Mayfield before the draft was a play to force the Browns hand at #1. It very well could be true, or the Jets very well could have had Mayfield at the top of their board and would have taken him at #3 if available. We'll never really know.

According to Mad Dog (I think it was him, definitely his channel on XM), he spoke with the Jets before the draft and they had Darnold at the top, then Mayfield as the second on their board.

19 hours ago, Drums said:

I know you're kidding but I must say, Gettleman sounds like an idiot when he talks. It's like I'm watching A Bronx Tale or The Departed. Sorry but I don't want Sonny running my team.

Sonny is actually way more measured and professional than Gettleman. He is a clown and I’m surprised Mara and Tisch are okay with him being the new face of their organization.

9 hours ago, slats said:

I don't believe that anything masterful was going on, I think it just leaked. The team was paying a lot of attention to Mayfield, maybe his camp leaked the Jets love to prop him up as a top-three pick - at a minimum. Maybe someone in the Jets office caught wind of it and said something to the wrong someone. I don't know, but I just don't believe it was part of any strategy after thinking about it. 

Browns were either taking a QB or Barkley. If the Jets interest in Mayfield made them take the QB first rather than fourth, it only benefits them if it's not a QB the Jets wanted. Otherwise, it's probably better for them if the non-QB goes #1. I think the Jets board was Darnold then Mayfield. Losing their #2 choice #1 had to be a scare. 

Now if the Jets were falsely projecting Mayfield in an effort to get no one to trade ahead of them after the Browns pick (which could've been a solid reason), that strategy went out the window with the Browns pick. 

The Giants could've screwed it all up by taking Darnold there or trading to a team that wanted him. Was Barkley the only guy good enough to prevent them from trading out? Or would they have taken Chubb if Barkley was gone? That's the bigger question. If Cleveland taking Mayfield #1 gave the Giants their #1 choice at #2, you could start to think that there was something the Jets did to influence that, but then the timing's off. The Jets affection for Mayfield was well reported before there was any inkling that the Browns were even considering Mayfield. Did the Jets have a mole in the Browns office, knowing they wanted to go Barkley at #1 and Mayfield at #4? By all the accounts I read, the Browns broke late for Mayfield. So no, I don't think so. 

The Jets made a great trade to get up to #3 early for what was certainly a lot less than it would've been when the Colts were on the clock - if the Jets could've even gotten such a deal done at that time. Getting Darnold from there was, IMHO, dumb luck. I do think Darnold was their #1 guy, but they never expected him to be there. 

Thank you...

Great points!!

Then did the Jets leaking cause the Browns not to select Barkley for fear that the Jets might nab him?

At the end of the day it probably is as the Jets stated and you stated in your post as well; that the Jets were not gifted by either some great design or master strategy but stupid dumb luck!!

IMO still tastes sweet  :) 

On 5/2/2018 at 3:52 PM, Fed Hill Jet said:

It may not always be luck that these players drop to Mac...

I'd say Jamal and Leonard were luck, call it discipline if you'd like. They didn't trade or blow smoke during those drafts. Getting Sam took effort, purpose, and maybe some luck too.

And come on guys.......

Noooooo Darnold didn't refuse to work out for the Jets because they had no chance to draft him!

This is just forum fodder.....

If this were true why did Darnold  work out for the Broncos  and the Bills, with the later being well behind the Jets in draft order?

Broncos Article:

https://broncoswire.usatoday.com/2018/04/04/sam-darnold-will-work-out-for-denver-broncos-los-angeles-2018-nfl-draft/

Bills Article:

https://www.buffalorumblings.com/2018/4/10/17218508/buffalo-bills-working-out-usc-quarterback-sam-darnold-is-not-a-big-deal-brandon-beane-terry-pergula

We Jets fans are an extremely tough group, let's not make things up that puts players in a negative light unless we know that it true especially when they are our players....

Archived