Macc: Darnold will get a chance to start.

Patriot Killa

Jets GM indicates Sam Darnold will get chance to start: 'Nothing's been predetermined'

Despite signing Josh McCown and Teddy Bridgewater this offseason, the New York Jetsare prepared to let the No. 3 overall pickSam Darnold, compete for the starting quarterback job during his first summer in the NFL, unlike many other highly drafted quarterbacks in recent years, including this year's No. 1 overall pick, Baker Mayfield.  

On Wednesday, during an appearance on "The Rich Eisen Show," Jets general manager Mike Maccagnan indicated that the Jets will hold an open competition this summer. 

"Nothing's been predetermined one way or another," Maccagnan said. "There's a chance for anything on the table. Nothing's been sort of set in stone in terms of how we're going to do this in terms of a firm time frame. But he's going to have every opportunity and we'll see how it develops going forward." 

Still, it sounds like the Jets won't play him unless he demonstrates that he's far and away ready for the NFL.

"We're going to basically expose him to everything," Maccagnan said. "We're going to give him the opportunity to go out there to (learn and earn) the position. But, of course, our focus is not necessarily to throw him into the fire until he's earned it. ... He's going to have every opportunity to go out there and hopefully fulfill all the potential we see in him."

For the past couple of seasons, the NFL has been trending toward a league that lets rookie quarterbacks begin their careers on the bench.  

Jared Goff began his rookie season behind Case Keenum and Sean Mannion on the depth chartCarson Wentz was supposed to redshirt his rookie year until the Eagles traded away Sam Bradford on the eve of the season. Mitchell Trubisky waited for his turn behind Mike GlennonDeshaun Watson was Tom Savage's backup in Week 1. Patrick Mahomesgarnered only one start in his rookie season. Mayfield is scheduled to sit behind Tyrod Taylorin Cleveland. But the Jets aren't dismissing Darnold's chances to beat out the likes of McCown and Bridgewater.  

Darnold's primary competitor will probably the veteran in McCown rather than Bridgewater, whose health is still unknown. A year ago, McCown played admirably for the Jets despite his age (38) and limited skillset, completing 67.3 percent of his passes for 2,926 yards, 18 touchdowns, nine picks, and a 94.5 passer rating in 13 games. He was good enough thatthe Jets decided to bring him back on a one-year, $10 million deal.

Don't overlook Bridgewater, though. The Jets brought him in on a one-year deal, but he's only made one appearance since he suffered a tragic knee injury on the eve of the 2016 season. Though Bridgewater features some upside -- after all, he's a 25-year-old former first-round pick -- the uncertainty regarding his knee makes it difficult to predict how he'll fare in New York.

Really, the door is wide open for Darnold to win the job. It'll be less about McCown's performance during training camp and the summer (he's a known commodity at this point in his never-ending career) and more about how Darnold adapts to the NFL. If Darnold can't win the job in his first summer, nobody should panic. Being brought along slowly can be the best outcome for a young quarterback while getting rushed can just as easily ruin a young quarterback's career before he really even has a chance to blossom.

https://www.cbssports.com/nfl/news/jets-gm-indicates-sam-darnold-will-get-chance-to-start-nothings-been-predetermined/amp/

• Replies 98
  • Created
  • Last Reply

This is Bowles last shot. I think, by and large, defensive coaches tend to be more conservative in their thinking and approach. Bowles, has certainly shown that to be the case. His game management and his penchant for playing veterans over rookies, reveals a certain fear or insecurity. However, this is it for him, and if he doesn't show a willingness to "go for it", he's going to lose the support of his players and management. The Jets know they've drafted, not only a potential franchise QB, but a very special one at that. Look how the Rams handled the Fisher/Goff dynamic. If Darnold is the best QB in camp and preseason, they have to let him out of the cage. If he's clearly the best, and Bowles gives the job to McCown, because he "gives us the best chance to win", he's finished in NY. If Darnold, looks every bit the 20 year old rookie, I have no problem waiting a year to see him start.

Time for Bowles to put on his big boy pants.

PS - Anyone else think Mac just fired a warning shot across the good ship Bowles?

42 minutes ago, Patriot Killa said:

Jets GM indicates Sam Darnold will get chance to start: 'Nothing's been predetermined'

Despite signing Josh McCown and Teddy Bridgewater this offseason, the New York Jetsare prepared to let the No. 3 overall pickSam Darnold, compete for the starting quarterback job during his first summer in the NFL, unlike many other highly drafted quarterbacks in recent years, including this year's No. 1 overall pick, Baker Mayfield.  

On Wednesday, during an appearance on "The Rich Eisen Show," Jets general manager Mike Maccagnan indicated that the Jets will hold an open competition this summer. 

"Nothing's been predetermined one way or another," Maccagnan said. "There's a chance for anything on the table. Nothing's been sort of set in stone in terms of how we're going to do this in terms of a firm time frame. But he's going to have every opportunity and we'll see how it develops going forward." 

Still, it sounds like the Jets won't play him unless he demonstrates that he's far and away ready for the NFL.

"We're going to basically expose him to everything," Maccagnan said. "We're going to give him the opportunity to go out there to (learn and earn) the position. But, of course, our focus is not necessarily to throw him into the fire until he's earned it. ... He's going to have every opportunity to go out there and hopefully fulfill all the potential we see in him."

For the past couple of seasons, the NFL has been trending toward a league that lets rookie quarterbacks begin their careers on the bench.  

Jared Goff began his rookie season behind Case Keenum and Sean Mannion on the depth chartCarson Wentz was supposed to redshirt his rookie year until the Eagles traded away Sam Bradford on the eve of the season. Mitchell Trubisky waited for his turn behind Mike GlennonDeshaun Watson was Tom Savage's backup in Week 1. Patrick Mahomesgarnered only one start in his rookie season. Mayfield is scheduled to sit behind Tyrod Taylorin Cleveland. But the Jets aren't dismissing Darnold's chances to beat out the likes of McCown and Bridgewater.  

Darnold's primary competitor will probably the veteran in McCown rather than Bridgewater, whose health is still unknown. A year ago, McCown played admirably for the Jets despite his age (38) and limited skillset, completing 67.3 percent of his passes for 2,926 yards, 18 touchdowns, nine picks, and a 94.5 passer rating in 13 games. He was good enough thatthe Jets decided to bring him back on a one-year, $10 million deal.

Don't overlook Bridgewater, though. The Jets brought him in on a one-year deal, but he's only made one appearance since he suffered a tragic knee injury on the eve of the 2016 season. Though Bridgewater features some upside -- after all, he's a 25-year-old former first-round pick -- the uncertainty regarding his knee makes it difficult to predict how he'll fare in New York.

Really, the door is wide open for Darnold to win the job. It'll be less about McCown's performance during training camp and the summer (he's a known commodity at this point in his never-ending career) and more about how Darnold adapts to the NFL. If Darnold can't win the job in his first summer, nobody should panic. Being brought along slowly can be the best outcome for a young quarterback while getting rushed can just as easily ruin a young quarterback's career before he really even has a chance to blossom.

https://www.cbssports.com/nfl/news/jets-gm-indicates-sam-darnold-will-get-chance-to-start-nothings-been-predetermined/amp/

6 minutes ago, Drums said:

My take is he'll have a chance like Hack/Petty had last preseason. If he plays better than McCown, he has to start, right?

You mean the chance - wink wink to start that Petty and Hack had that last season. You believe that you might gain entrance into Robby Anderson's Mensa meetings. 

1 minute ago, 56mehl56 said:

You mean the chance - wink wink to start that Petty and Hack had that last season. You believe that you might gain entrance into Robby Anderson's Mensa meetings. 

Well, I'm not even sure McCown picked up a ball last preseason but the team played a lot better when he did so, looking at it now, the other two just weren't that good. But 9 + 5 = 14 so...

1 hour ago, Beerfish said:

WHAT ABOUT OUR RED SHIRT STRATEGY???????????????

You're thinking of New England. That's where the war started when the British Redshirts tried to take subdue the Colonists at Lexington and Concord. Our strategy was to kick their butts.

1 hour ago, Drums said:

My take is he'll have a chance like Hack/Petty had last preseason. If he plays better than McCown, he has to start, right?

No. McCown will barely see the field during the pre season games.

1 hour ago, SnackExchange said:

This is Bowles last shot. I think, by and large, defensive coaches tend to be more conservative in their thinking and approach. Bowles, has certainly shown that to be the case. His game management and his penchant for playing veterans over rookies, reveals a certain fear or insecurity. However, this is it for him, and if he doesn't show a willingness to "go for it", he's going to lose the support of his players and management. The Jets know they've drafted, not only a potential franchise QB, but a very special one at that. Look how the Rams handled the Fisher/Goff dynamic. If Darnold is the best QB in camp and preseason, they have to let him out of the cage. If he's clearly the best, and Bowles gives the job to McCown, because he "gives us the best chance to win", he's finished in NY. If Darnold, looks every bit the 20 year old rookie, I have no problem waiting a year to see him start.

Time for Bowles to put on his big boy pants.

PS - Anyone else think Mac just fired a warning shot across the good ship Bowles?

I think having Darnold gives the team for the first time in forever an incentive for a good HC to come here, and not necessarily a rookie HC again.  So when the inevitable happens, I will be excited to see who we can get.

Bunch of buzzards circling waiting for a man to lose his job because he doesn’t do things the way they would like .  

Fire Mac because he can’t find a franchise QB . 

Fire Bowles because we don’t like how he stand on the sidelines .

In 50 years, what has been the common denominator as far as the New York Jets is concerned ? 

The vast majority of you miserable folks have got to go under before this franchise turns around . Just like a bunch of yahoos who wondered for 40 years on a trip that should have taken them maybe 40 days .

12 minutes ago, Tinstar said:

That wasn't one of the reasons, but now that you mention it, I'll add it to the list.  And it is inevitable, you know that to be true.  

6 minutes ago, Tinstar said:

Bunch of buzzards circling waiting for a man to lose his job because he doesn’t do things the way they would like .  

In 50 years, what has been the common denominator as far as the New York Jets is concerned ? 

The vast majority of you miserable folks have got to go under before this franchise turns around . Just like a bunch of yahoos who wondered for 40 years on a trip that should have taken them maybe 40 days .

I'm neither waiting for, or hoping anyone will lose their job. I believe that Bowles has to make some changes to his style and approach to coaching. I believe he is very close to being on the "hot seat". That doesn't mean I'm gleefully waiting for him to be fired. I think Mac coming out and making the statement about Darnold having a chance to start, is a wakeup call. That's all.

You however, seem to be waiting for the day that a "vast majority of you miserable folks" pass on from this mortal coil. Are you saying that fans are the reason a team succeeds or fails? For 50 years, the common denominator has been a poorly run franchise, nothing more or less. Who's the buzzard here?

Owner, GM intervening on personnel moves this is a sheer indication that both are sick and tired of Todd Bowels decision making for the anti Todd Bowles crowd this is great news!  Looking forward to a NY Jets football season again. 

7 hours ago, 56mehl56 said:

imo they gave hack ample opportunities to win the job.  not so much with petty.  in any event mccown outplayed them and so he was the starter.  i wouldn't mind seeing darnold sit for a few, maybe 4 games, but he should come in well before they are eliminated from playoff competition. if he's lights out, then he should start.

the other part of this is how the rest of the team behaves.  if darnold wins them over then he should do fine.

7 hours ago, Dcat said:

I think having Darnold gives the team for the first time in forever an incentive for a good HC to come here, and not necessarily a rookie HC again.  So when the inevitable happens, I will be excited to see who we can get.

Bowles knows he has 5 wins in the bag with Josh.

9 hours ago, Drums said:

I think Teddy Bridgewater will get a lot of preseason action, with the Jets potentially showcasing him for a trade. Could definitely be like last year, where McCown is held out of much of the preseason, giving Darnold some meaningful work and Hack some cleanup work. 

Now, if Darnold gets a preseason start, we might be on the road to seeing him start in the regular season sooner rather than later. 

3 hours ago, bla bla bla said:

Todd Bowles has played the best QB on the roster each of the last 3 years, I expect that trend to continue. If Darnold proves to be the best then he’ll start if not then McCown will start.

I'd like to see Darnold start the season on the bench. Jets open with three games in 11 days, and 3/4 on the road. Let McCown handle that stretch while Darnold holds the clipboard and takes his studious notes. Jets then have their next three games at home in what should be perfect football weather, just a great time to throw Sam in there. Jets fans can be tough, but they will be very supportive of Darnold and give him the benefit of the doubt as he goes thru a couple growing pains. This is your franchise QB. Sure, you protect him, but you also have to let him play. 

7 hours ago, Tinstar said:

LOL. You little pisher! I was rootin' for this team before you was an itch in your daddies pants! By cracky I was dere from the beginning and had my old cracked ass to games when your pappy was picking his nose in a damn baby buggie!  MOMSER!

That being said you have to be kidding right? Fire Macc because he can't find a FQB? Well according to a story referenced in another thread Macc didn't even make the trade to get this team in position to draft that franchise QB. Here's the proof:

While Maccagnan traveled to Pro Days at Oklahoma to see Mayfield and UCLA to see Josh Rosen, Heimerdinger hammered out a trade with the Colts for the No. 3 pick, happy to hold on to their 2019 first-rounder.

Now go by the other picks that haven't fell into his lap how's your boy Macc doing? Average to below average is being kind IMO.

Now onto Bowles. The man cannot make an in game adjustment to his game plan to save his life. Never has he deviated from it and the team has suffered for it. Why do you think they lose games late? He just throws the same sh*t out there hoping it works. The team quits on him? Well that's on him too. Unless Bowles makes substantial improvements to his in game moves he should be on thin ice with this team and fired if he doesn't improve.

You want to know the common denominator? Fans who are willing to accept mediocre results from the same cast of characters over and over again. Only the names change but the results remain the same. Time to get out of the malaise that surrounds this team and upgrade all across the board. If Macc and Bowles don't seriously turn this team around by the end of their deals its time to JETtison the dead wood and get someone in here who can.

10 hours ago, Drums said:

He has to be the clear winner in camp/preseason i’d Imagine. It is not only the eye test. There is a lot classroom time Sam has to learn and play catch up with. It’s not easy for a rookie. People have been spoiled with a few rookies playing right out of the game. The norm use to be sit a year atleast. There has not been many 21 yr old starting qbs. We may see him end of the year, but he is a far long shot to start the season.

3 hours ago, bla bla bla said:

Todd Bowles has played the best QB on the roster each of the last 3 years, I expect that trend to continue. If Darnold proves to be the best then he’ll start if not then McCown will start.

This.

Hack didn't start last year because he showed them absolutely nothing in the preseason. Bowles gave him every chance to take the starting job, and he failed to do so. He was terrible. There was no grand conspiracy to play McCown. He was the only viable option that was available to Bowles. 

If Darnold shows that he can handle being the starter then he'll get the job.

A "chance" to start?

If the #3 overall pick isn't ready to start Week 1 we've got a whole heap of trouble ahead.  Not saying that Darnold should be ready to win from day one, but being able to start the game simply means he has a complete grasp of the playbook and a good understanding of the offense.  Sammy better be the starter Week 1.

SAR I

1 hour ago, Jetsplayer21 said:

He has to be the clear winner in camp/preseason i’d Imagine. It is not only the eye test. There is a lot classroom time Sam has to learn and play catch up with. It’s not easy for a rookie. People have been spoiled with a few rookies playing right out of the game. The norm use to be sit a year atleast. There has not been many 21 yr old starting qbs. We may see him end of the year, but he is a far long shot to start the season.

I want him to sit, and I agree: if it’s close, give it to McCown, or Teddy if he miraculously regains form (for the trade bait as Slats said). If Darnold blows everyone away, well, off to the races. 

11 hours ago, Drums said:

Well, I'm not even sure McCown picked up a ball last preseason but the team played a lot better when he did so, looking at it now, the other two just weren't that good. But 9 + 5 = 14 so...

Unfathomable that anyone could read a training camp report or watch preseason and not think this team did everything it could to make Hack the starter.  Josh McCown started for two reasons, and two reasons alone.  Bryce Petty is bad and Christian Hackenberg is terrible.

Archived