Petty Cut

usanyj

3 hours ago, Bleedin Green said:

I have to imagine Hack is around mostly because they need a sacrificial lamb at QB for week 4 of the preseason.

Only way Hack actually sticks is if Bridgewater's health ends up being a major issue, or Bridgewater does well enough that they get an enticing trade offer for him.

Bridgewater's knee is probably held together by gorilla glue and a couple of stretched out ligaments. Hack is an insurance policy , if Teddy isn't physically fit Hack get's the #3 role. If Teddy is ok, Hack goes to the PS. 

• Replies 150
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, Joe W. Namath said:

Ive never seen a qb worse then bryce petty.  He was absolutely clueless out there.

Maybe you don't remember Ryan Lindley from the Arizona Cardinals. 

Stinker vs Jets

https://www.pro-football-reference.com/boxscores/201212020nyj.htm

image.png

Career Stats:

https://www.pro-football-reference.com/players/L/LindRy00.htm

image.png

There were rumors of interest last season (before he started the last 3 games) and going into the draft this year. So you would have thought the Jets considering they just cut him would have accepted even a conditional 7th round pick for 2019 but you have to think nobody actually offered them anything. But I think he will sign with a team this week. My guess the Vikings who were rumored to be interested in the past. But they signed Simien who is a better Qb than he is. 

For 2018-2019, it should be McCown, Teddy B and Darnold w/Hackenberg on the PS.  For 2019-2020, we'll have to see if Hack is a worthy #3.  As for the backup next year, assuming Darnold is the starter, I wouldn't be surprised if it's McCown again.  If not, we'd do well to get a veteran guy who can continue in a quasi-mentoring role for Darnold.

Of course looking forward to Sam in camp but I'm interested to see Hack. He's year 3 and there's no safety net under him now. He knows he's on the bubble and going to be interesting to see if he throws caution to the wind.

I loved Petty's attitude but his chance came last year after Josh went down, he was year 3 and that was his time to show. Best of luck and he should get a chance elsewhere.

1 hour ago, peebag said:

Sure hope the Jets FO surrounds Sam with better talent than Bryce got.

The amazing part about that play, if my memory serves me, was that it was a 20+ yard completion.  

Tough kid, wish him well

How the hell did Hack make the cut and Petty didn’t. 
Petty was a fourth round pick was on the team a year longer and has proven not to be a starting quality qb in actual nfl games. Hack was a second round pick a year less with the team and has not taken an actual nfl snap we just all assume he is terrible.

Sent from my [device_name] using http://JetNation.com mobile app

2 years ago I thought he for sure was going to be our back up qb for years, someone who could start and win a few games and be trade bait every year. I just can’t see him grasping the NFL game because of his Baylor background. There’s air raid and then theres Baylor’s air raid. He never developed any foundation and when we got here he was drowning in information.

33 minutes ago, bealeb319 said:

Petty was a fourth round pick was on the team a year longer and has proven not to be a starting quality qb in actual nfl games. Hack was a second round pick a year less with the team and has not taken an actual nfl snap we just all assume he is terrible.

Sent from my [device_name] using http://JetNation.com mobile app

I’ve seen him play. He is terrible. 

9 minutes ago, Better2bgreenthanblue said:

When will we find out about Teddys knee?

As long as he is a Jet, I hope Hack develops into a useful backup. 

After he puts pads on for a week 

Bowles and Macc have to be very careful about this one. By all accounts, Petty was well-liked by the team because he was a tough dude. If they dumped Petty and are trying to sneak Hackenberg onto the 2018 roster, even as a PS or IR player, it’s going to look like they’re just trying to justify burning the draft pick. 

7 hours ago, jetstream23 said:

Good guy, very mediocre QB.  I wish him well.  He'll catch on as a #3 somewhere.

false - mediocre means not very good, he was not any good, he was bad

7 hours ago, MDL_JET said:

No way they go 4 QBs. One of them will get cut. Honestly, Teddy could be it if he doesn't show he's healthy. 

its crazy we have three qbs, we should have two. but I hope Teddy does well and get signed somewhere else after giving us a draft pick, or blows everyone away and takes the starting job and mccown becomes a coach.

7 hours ago, kdels62 said:

Bummer. One of the nicest and coolest guys I’ve met. I had a friend in the Jets organization and he said Petty was extremely well liked by the staff and other players. 

He was a bad fit for the offense we ran last year but he’ll probably catch on as a back up somewhere.

he would be more liked if he could play football at the professional level with any level of competence. He is a bad fit for every offense in general not just ours. Teams would be smart to not sign him as a back up, if they do, they will get what we got, a big fat L.

6 hours ago, sourceworx said:

A shame. I really thought he had a shot at becoming a decent QB, but he couldn't capitalize when he had his chances.

Good luck to him.

I think this perfectly summarized my sentiment. I wish him well in his future endeavors....

Bowles and Macc have to be very careful about this one. By all accounts, Petty was well-liked by the team because he was a tough dude. If they dumped Petty and are trying to sneak Hackenberg onto the 2018 roster, even as a PS or IR player, it’s going to look like they’re just trying to justify burning the draft pick. 

Ummm no. Petty sucked. Like him or not, he sucked. He’s 27 and had 3 years in the league and showed he sucked. Hack probably sucks too, but he’s 2 years in the league and 23. There will be no revolt for Petty, that’s laughable.

1 minute ago, Snell41 said:

Ummm no. Petty sucked. Like him or not, he sucked. He’s 27 and had 3 years in the league and showed he sucked. Hack probably sucks too, but he’s 2 years in the league and 23. There will be no revolt for Petty, that’s laughable.

Petty sucked and Hackenberg was worse than him. So.

12 minutes ago, T0mShane said:

Yeah, a revolt is brewing 

1 minute ago, T0mShane said:

You’re talking about a coaching staff that couldn’t handle an arthritic Matt Forte demanding more carries roughly thirty days before he retired.

You're talking about a roster with Darnold, McCown and Bridgewater the ramifications about anyone giving a sh*t about which turd they flush first  hackenturd or poopy 

Petty sucked and Hackenberg was worse than him. So.

So hack has a tear less experience and is 4 years younger. You’re really trying to make a case that players are gonna revolt over Petty. Really??

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2 minutes ago, Snell41 said:

So hack has a tear less experience and is 4 years younger. You’re really trying to make a case that players are gonna revolt over Petty. Really??

No, I’m making a case that they need to cut both of them.

No, I’m making a case that they need to cut both of them.

Petty had 3 seasons and is 27. They are going to give Hack his 3rd season, at least his 3rd preseason. There’s zero reason not to. Other players don’t give a flying **** that they keep Petty and do or do not keep Hack.

1 minute ago, Snell41 said:

Petty had 3 seasons and is 27. They are going to give Hack his 3rd season, at least his 3rd preseason. There’s zero reason not to. Other players don’t give a flying **** that they keep Petty and do or do not keep Hack.

The reason to cut him is that there are three better players than him on the roster. The relevance to Petty is that Petty is also better than Hackenberg. If you don’t think anyone will notice that Hackenberg is being kept around to—again—not step foot into a football field, wait until the team cuts a player from another position group to accommodate Hackenberg based solely on his draft position. 

3 minutes ago, T0mShane said:

The reason to cut him is that there are three better players than him on the roster. The relevance to Petty is that Petty is also better than Hackenberg. If you don’t think anyone will notice that Hackenberg is being kept around to—again—not step foot into a football field, wait until the team cuts a player from another position group to accommodate Hackenberg based solely on his draft position. 

Ok someone notices 

Then what? 

4 minutes ago, Larz said:

Ok someone notices 

Then what? 

Oh, I don’t know Larz. Todd has shown an amazing capacity for keeping players focused and motivated so I’m sure giving Hackenberg a no-show free-ride gig in perpetuity won’t have any impact on morale.

6 minutes ago, T0mShane said:

Oh, I don’t know Larz. Todd has shown an amazing capacity for keeping players focused and motivated so I’m sure giving Hackenberg a no-show free-ride gig in perpetuity won’t have any impact on morale.

Wait 

You think the players care? 

It's a business and the nature of the sport. If the players want to get their nose out of joint over a player I liked but has no role ultimately going forward, then we have the wrong players. They should be disappointed but then move on.

5 hours ago, T0mShane said:

Should the nfl get with the times and rename the taxi squad to the ride-share squad?

Archived