Petty Cut

usanyj

18 hours ago, Warfish said:

The far more interesting question is when he gets cut.  Or if he does.

I could see Macc keeping 4 QB's right up thru camp. 

If Teddy isn't healthy or looking good, Hack could stick on (as a Macc pick) longer than that.

Right.  And if Teddy looks fine, Hack will be cut, and they'll look to add him to the PSquad - and given how bad he's looked his first 2 years, I don't see that as too difficult

• Replies 150
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Really liked Petty for his character. He just couldn’t put it together on the field. He does throw a nice ball at times. It wouldn’t surprise if a team picks him up gives him a preseason shot somewhere. I hope the best for the kid.

11 hours ago, T0mShane said:

The reason to cut him is that there are three better players than him on the roster. The relevance to Petty is that Petty is also better than Hackenberg. If you don’t think anyone will notice that Hackenberg is being kept around to—again—not step foot into a football field, wait until the team cuts a player from another position group to accommodate Hackenberg based solely on his draft position. 

That is not a reason to cut a high-variance guy who is still practice squad eligible at this point in the off-season. 

11 hours ago, T0mShane said:

The reason to cut him is that there are three better players than him on the roster. The relevance to Petty is that Petty is also better than Hackenberg. If you don’t think anyone will notice that Hackenberg is being kept around to—again—not step foot into a football field, wait until the team cuts a player from another position group to accommodate Hackenberg based solely on his draft position. 

Four QBs are the norm for an NFL training camp, and no one is going to question the Jets allowing their 2nd rounder from two years ago to be that guy. Petty had a shot as a regular season starter and the team looked at that and decided to move on from him. No one's really gonna question that, either. 

Disappointingly, there just is no controversy forming here.  

9 minutes ago, Doggin94it said:

That is not a reason to cut a high-variance guy who is still practice squad eligible at this point in the off-season. 

2 minutes ago, slats said:

Four QBs are the norm for an NFL training camp, and no one is going to question the Jets allowing their 2nd rounder from two years ago to be that guy. Petty had a shot as a regular season starter and the team looked at that and decided to move on from him. No one's really gonna question that, either. 

Disappointingly, there just is no controversy forming here.  

I wasn’t talking about cutting him now. This was in reference to carving out a roster spot for him this season. 

20 hours ago, Barkus said:

good, the games were unwatchable when he played in the regular season. Now the question is will the team go into the season with 4qbs? or will hack or teddy be cut??

This is a legit question. My bet is they make a decision just before the 53 man roster cuts. I think Jet brass and coaching staff is very much curious to see what BOTH Hack and Teddy look like. Teddy has to show that he is healthy and can still play QB the way he played when he was healthy. Hack has to show that he is miles ahead of what he looked like as a rook. It's going to be very interesting what the Jets decide to do if BOTH look good. 

My prediction is that Teddy looks healthy enough and Hack looks mediocre enough (albeit improved) that they try to put Hack on PS and keep Teddy at the #3.  

18 minutes ago, dbatesman said:

In what way is Hackenberg "high-variance"?

I THINK he meant in the sense that Hack is still a young QB (in year 3), taken in the 2nd round, with high upside, that has yet to start a regular season game. Now, I get that he probably did not play for a reason (he stinks...or to be fair his accuracy looked awful in pre-season and camp), but that's where the "variance" factor comes in. Many have already labeled him as a complete bust but the truth of the matter is that Hack has yet to start an NFL game and he is STILL a bit of a mystery. He could very well have improved exponentially. 

Probably not though. lmfao. 

1 hour ago, varjet said:

Neither Hack nor Petty were great pro QBs, but they were so bad in the pros that one would have to think that the coaching bears a lot of blame for how they turned out.  

They both suck at football.  I hate Bowles but it is unfair to blame him and the staff for not coaching up two stiffs who make Geno look good

Petty was one of the worst products i've ever seen play in the NFL.  He had no mastery over the little things that a QB is expected to at least have some understanding off.  Whether it was the snap count, or reading rudimentary defenses or even what the names of the plays were and from what I gather his ability to learn things was very, very slow.  It was just a disaster from start to finish. 

The guy basically only knew how to throw jump balls to Anderson over and over again.  I'm glad we've moved on.  JFC!

3 minutes ago, Hael said:

Petty was one of the worst products i've ever seen play in the NFL.  He had no mastery over the little things that a QB is expected to at least have some understanding off.  Whether it was the snap count, or reading rudimentary defenses or even what the names of the plays were and from what I gather his ability to learn things was very, very slow.  It was just a disaster from start to finish. 

The guy basically only knew how to throw jump balls to Anderson over and over again.  I'm glad we've moved on.  JFC!

Being stuck with two busts hack and petty for a 2 year period was a very dark time I am so much happier now that we have Sam

They need to cut Hack to and Bridgewater can go bye bye when he fails his physical or gets injured in preaseasonhe stinks too

50 minutes ago, dbatesman said:

In what way is Hackenberg "high-variance"?

His floor and likely outcome is "utter bust, out of the league".  But he has high level tools (size, arm strength), and in the unlikely event that he can develop accuracy by correcting mechanics, he could end up as a viable journeyman-type starting QB or upper echelon backup.  I'd consider a range of outcomes running from "bust" to "below average NFL starter" fairly high variance, wouldn't you?

I mean, the upper end of the range is highly, highly unlikely to ever be reached, but there's literally zero or near zero marginal cost in keeping him (the cost is the team's 90th roster spot, and we'd probably have a 4th QB as a "camp arm" anyway, so it's really the lost opportunity to have someone else in that slot) through training camp and seeing whether it's become more likely over the offseason, so why wouldn't we do that?

2 minutes ago, Doggin94it said:

His floor and likely outcome is "utter bust, out of the league".  But he has high level tools (size, arm strength), and in the unlikely event that he can develop accuracy by correcting mechanics, he could end up as a viable journeyman-type starting QB or upper echelon backup.  I'd consider a range of outcomes running from "bust" to "below average NFL starter" fairly high variance, wouldn't you?

I mean, the upper end of the range is highly, highly unlikely to ever be reached, but there's literally zero or near zero marginal cost in keeping him (the cost is the team's 90th roster spot, and we'd probably have a 4th QB as a "camp arm" anyway, so it's really the lost opportunity to have someone else in that slot) through training camp and seeing whether it's become more likely over the offseason, so why wouldn't we do that?

High level tools?  Hack has prototypical size that’s about it he doesn’t have a Josh Allen type of cannon he’s not particularly fast either and he’s as dumb as a rock

1 hour ago, T0mShane said:

I wasn’t talking about cutting him now. This was in reference to carving out a roster spot for him this season. 

He won't have one unless:

1) One of the 3 guys ahead of him gets injured or remains injured and the Jets need a 3rd QB; or

2) Darnold looks ready to start game 1 and some other team offers us a meaningful asset in trade for Teddy or McCown.

He's not taking any of their roster spots and with our QB of the future on the roster in Darnold, we're not carrying a 4th QB who we only see as a backup at (low-likelihood) best going forward.

Petty did not grab the reigns when he had his chance but he was also badly handicapped by a sh*tacular coach who simply gave up the moment mccown got hurt. 

The coaching by the play calling for the most part never believed in him at all.

Also this is totally a case of the best players not making the team.  Hackenburg is so bad they would not even give him a series at all and he is still here.  Just stupid.

I also have low confidence that Bridgewater is going to do anything at all.

45 minutes ago, Larz said:

How bad was the backlash about cutting petty and keeping Hackenberg? 

Did they cancel rookie camp? 

Mac is still not ready to admit the disastrous decision to draft hackenberg. That would be 4 2nd round picks he lost in a month for a qb lol  

4 hours ago, Doggin94it said:

I dunno. A guy whose ceiling is "not good enough to play in a regular-season game" and whose floor is "not good enough to play in a preseason game" seems pretty low-variance to me.

1 hour ago, dbatesman said:

I dunno. A guy whose ceiling is "not good enough to play in a regular-season game" and whose floor is "not good enough to play in a preseason game" seems pretty low-variance to me.

His ceiling is "serviceable NFL starter", which I'd consider a pretty far distance from "not good enough to be on an NFL roster".  But you're free to have a different view.

1 minute ago, Lith said:

Yesterday I was willing to wich him well in his next stop.  Not anymore.

Fantastic news for us.  Just another reason the Dolphins will continue to suck harder than a twink at the annual Castro District invasion of "Bears".

Unless Teddys leg falls off, which will make the decision harder, Hack's a goner. Only scenario I see him sticking in is if Bridgewater does look like he's back, we showcase him in the preseason and a contending team losses a QB to injury over the summer. 

Archived