Law says hiring Mangini is a no brainer

NIGHT STALKER

By RICH CIMINI

DAILY NEWS SPORTS WRITER

Eric Mangini

Eric Mangini's first job in the NFL consisted of handing out media notes in the press box and washing jockstraps. That was only 11 years ago, when he was a go-fer on Bill Belichick's staff in Cleveland.

Mangini's stock has risen so dramatically that, in the coming days, the Patriots' rookie defensive coordinator could be offered the Jets' head-coaching job. Some might call it a gamble, hiring a 34-year-old coach. To cornerback Ty Law, it's a no-brainer.

"It would be an injustice if the Jets don't hire Eric Mangini," Law told the Daily News last night.

Law is a Mangini expert, having played five seasons under him in New England. They won three Super Bowls together. Law sees potential greatness in Mangini, calling him an excellent situational coach and a terrific motivator. When he looks at the other names on the Jets' list of candidates, he sees a bunch of recyclables.

"I have a lot of respect for Jim Haslett, but he's had an opportunity to be a head coach," Law said. "Mike Tice had an opportunity, too. These guys aren't head coaches anymore for one reason or another. When you've got a chance to start fresh, why not start with a guy who's got Super Bowl championships behind him?

"The other guys have coaching experience, but how many rings do they have?" Law continued. "If you've got all the tools and you've been part of championship teams, I think that should trump all questions about age. Plus, you've got a chance to take a valuable person away from the top dog. I'm quite sure that Eric knows more about Bill Belichick than anybody."

Mangini, believed to be near or at the top of the Jets' list of candidates to replace Herm Edwards, is scheduled to interview with team officials Sunday near Foxboro, Mass. The Patriots, two wins from reaching their third straight Super Bowl, play Saturday night in Denver.

Some industry sources believe it's Mangini's job to lose, but he could be faced with a dilemma: Loyalty versus friendship.

Mangini is close friends with Jets assistant GM Mike Tannenbaum, who serves on the board of directors of Mangini's football camp/charitable foundation in Hartford. But Mangini's football "Godfather" is Belichick, the man who has nurtured him. The Jets-Patriots Border War could become a tug of war.

"He's done a great job for me," Belichick said yesterday in Foxboro. "He's been an outstanding coach. I've been with him in three different organizations, and I have all the respect in the world for Eric."

Belichick wants to see Mangini succeed one day as a head coach, but he might not necessarily want him in the division, especially with the Jets

"I have a lot of respect for Jim Haslett, but he's had an opportunity to be a head coach," Law said. "Mike Tice had an opportunity, too. These guys aren't head coaches anymore for one reason or another. When you've got a chance to start fresh, why not start with a guy who's got Super Bowl championships behind him?

Law makes a very logical and strong point. even though gini is young, id still rather have him hc than tice or haslett. but not more than fassel, a prof coach who has at least taken his team to a superbowl.

Woody has to make sure this guy gets a major league offer. They can't look to save money here because of Eric's age.

If they come in with sub par money, Belly will give him a raise and tell him to wait it out in New England. That would be a disaster!

Right after the Pats lose on Saturday night they need to move quick and seal this deal.

If Mangini does get the job, it will be interesting if he lobbies for Law.

I believe we would have to kick in a roster bonus of 11 mil?

What are the chances of Law restructuring? With Mangini onboard, slim to none. Without him, no chance in hell.

Woody has to make sure this guy gets a major league offer. They can't look to save money here because of Eric's age.

If they come in with sub par money, Belly will give him a raise and tell him to wait it out in New England. That would be a disaster!

Right after the Pats lose on Saturday night they need to move quick and seal this deal.

So, after not paying the last HC over $2 million a year (3rd lowest in the NFL) they are going to starting paying someone with LESS experience MORE money?

Uhuh.

BZ

So, after not paying the last HC over $2 million a year (3rd lowest in the NFL) they are going to starting paying someone with LESS experience MORE money?

Uhuh.

BZ

Exactly, BZ. That would be the ultimate slap in the face for Herm.

I'm all for it.

Law makes a very logical and strong point. even though gini is young, id still rather have him hc than tice or haslett. but not more than fassel, a prof coach who has at least taken his team to a Super Bowl.

Weren't you supposed to change your signature to

"i am stupid. savage69 is my guide in life"

for a duration of 6 months since you boasted "let us re-visit this topic at the end of the season, when curtis has 0 fumbles, 1200 yards and is healthy vs. jordan's 850 yards, 5 fumbles and fractured vagina" and "injuries are no excuse"?

http://www.jetnation.com/forums/viewtopic.php?p=100782&highlight=#100782

:D:D:D:D:D

Uhuh.

BZ

BZ,

If the Jets don't dangle at least $4 mil per season at Mangini, there is no way in hell he becomes the Jets HC.

It's called supply versus demand. :wink:

Tx,

That is exactly what I am saying. I am not sure it has to be as high as 4 million. But if this is the guy and by all indications it is, then JUST GET HIM HERE.

I don't want to hear that they wasted 70 million on the NYC Stadium deal and they are cutting corners.

Hell do what George Steinbrenner does....CUT EVERYTHING, except the product on the field.

Tx,

That is exactly what I am saying. I am not sure it has to be as high as 4 million. But if this is the guy and by all indications it is, then JUST GET HIM HERE.

I don't want to hear that they wasted 70 million on the NYC Stadium deal and they are cutting corners.

Hell do what George Steinbrenner does....CUT EVERYTHING, except the product on the field.

I hear you Max, and I think we are on the same page.

But if Woody and Bradway try to low-ball Mangini (because he has no HC experience) I think it will end up as a very embarassing situation for the Jets.

If they think he is truly their guy, go after him with both barrels loaded (big money and personnel decisions) and lock up one of the brightest football minds for the next 5 years.

If they think he is truly their guy, go after him with both barrels loaded (big money and personnel decisions) and lock up one of the brightest football minds for the next 5 years.

I am not sure Mangini would require personnel control. Personally that would be a bad idea for someone just starting out.

Here is my ideal situation at this point:

Mangini - Head Coach\Defensive Coordinator

Donnie - Let go. I just don't want another Herm \ Teddy thing. One guy calling another guys defense.

Defensive Assistants - Retained unless Mangini has other replacements. But I doubt Pepper would come over.

Offense - Everything remains intact. Dinger is getting paid a lot and let him do his thing over there and just report to Mangini like a coordinator should.

Give Mangini at least one year to put his stamp on this defense. They are soft. That needs to change.

Give Mangini at least one year to put his stamp on this defense. They are soft. That needs to change.

Here's what Mangini would do for the the Jets defense:

1) Make them more physical and aggressive.

2) Take more risks (ie. multiple blitz packages)

3) Utilize more players with specific roles

4) Be very unpredictable

Can you imagine Mangini working with Miller and Rhodes in the secondary? :shock:

You know what? I have a gut feeling that this is indeed going to end up as a very embarassing situation for the Jets, but in a different manner.

For those who are easily agitated or emotional, please remember that this is just my gut feeling, and my gut feelings are wrong at least 20 percent of the time :lol: ...

Mangini will turn down the Jets offer. I truly believe that Bill Belichick will go on hiatus after this season, just reading between the lines, and Mangini will then be named head coach of the New England Patriots.

Oh man, the crap will hit the fan then, huh.

Mangini will turn down the Jets offer. I truly believe that Bill Belichick will go on hiatus after this season, just reading between the lines, and Mangini will then be named head coach of the New England Patriots.

That scenario is not as far-fetched as you would imagine. :wink:

Good call Lady.

If the Jets lose Mangini because he is the new head coach of the Pats, I am okay with that.

If the Jets lose Mangini because he is the Def Coord of the Pats, I want heads to roll at Hofstra.

Mrs. Antoine Winfield should be the named the new GM. Apparently she is the only real negotiator that set foot inside the compound in quite some time.

.... :lol:

Yes, Belichick will go on a year long sabbatical..... :roll: ....and Mangini will be the HC, only to relinquish that role when Belichick comes back.....

Belichick had a tough year - his Dad died - he seperated from his wife - although you would not know that since he is at the home they shared all the time - so much so, that he moved his widowed mother into the house to live with the wife and kids.

Sounds to me like he has things taken care of on the homefront - enough that he can continue on as HC of the Pats.

Bunch of nuts. :lol:

Speaking of nuts: TX - I'm am working real hard at trying to make Piper's head explode. It's 'gonna be a gusher! :lol:

.... :lol:

Yes, Belichick will go on a year long sabbatical..... :roll: ....and Mangini will be the HC, only to relinquish that role when Belichick comes back.....

Hey wait just one minute Missy,

This is my gut feeling, you just can't go improvising on it. :lol:

I never said anything about the hiatus being one year, or that Belichick would return to the Pats. (gasp)

But like I said, there is a 20 percent chance that I'm wrong. :wink:

It certainly has been a tough year for him. That coupled with being in probably the most taxing job a person could have, I don't know, the man is human. Again, I wouldn't be shocked.

Archived