Great Article on John Abe from NY POst

djaparz

You guys notice the constant in that article?THOUGH HIS AGENTS-some said I smell fish(Tuna)Me?I smelled a greedy agent and it seems my Italian nose was right.

The thing about Abe not showing up for the playoffs-Willis Reed he coulda pulled a Willis Reed went out on the feild and inspired the Jets-he chose not to so as not to jeopardize the long term big payoff,who knows might have been his agent telling him don't go-don't risk it...Willis Reed in that game against LA couldn't even jump 3 inches but it was enough t0o inspire the team to a romp-and a Championship.We'll never know if John Abraham could have done the same thing for us against Pittsburg-that's the sad part

good article...... pretty much hits the nail on the head.......... glad management holds all the cards & isn't doing anything stupid.

this guy lost all credibility with his record setting healing process & I woulda been pissed if they signed him long term

March 18, 2005 -- WHAT is John Abra-ham thinking?

Fresh off the feel-good 2004 story he carved out for himself after a calamitous 2003 season that included a DWI car-wreck incident, missed playing time and a bout of sulking, Abraham is threatening to sabotage all the good will he's built up.

Fewer than three months ago, Abraham, the Jets' talented DE, was on record in saying that he had "no problem" with the Jets putting a "franchise" tag on him, noting that he was going to make more money in 2005 than he'd ever made in his career even without a new long-term deal.

By tagging Abraham, the Jets are scheduled to pay him $6.7 million in 2005, which is the average salary of the top five players at his position.

Now suddenly Abraham, through his agents, is crying foul, supposedly angry that the Jets have not given him a long-term deal yet.

Through his agents, Abraham is threatening to not sign that one-year "franchise" contract and thus hold out of the team's offseason workout program, which starts at the beginning of next month.

This from a player who's managed to play a full 16-game schedule exactly once in his five-year career because of various injuries.

This from a player who last year said his No. 1 goal was to play in all 16 games, yet he missed the final four regular-season games and the two playoff games with a knee injury.

Does he really think it's a good idea to miss the offseason training program when the No. 1 rap on him as a player is that he can't keep himself on the field for a full season?

Bad idea.

Abraham, who earlier in the week at a Long Island appearance brusquely blew off the very reporters he claimed to like and respect, is not commenting. But he is responsible for what his agents have to say.

And Tony Agnone, who yesterday didn't return a phone call to his office, called reporters earlier this week to plant the story about his client not being happy and floated the possibility that Abraham might blow off the offseason program and not sign the tender offer.

Neither Abraham nor Agnone could have been naive enough to think the Jets were going to quickly strike a long-term deal with them after placing the "franchise" tag on him. The likelihood all along was that they'd keep Abraham for at least one more season, see how he performs and if he can stay healthy, and then decide whether to make the long-term commitment to him.

Why that has become such a surprise to everyone in Abraham's camp so suddenly is a mystery.

The fact that Agnone said to reporters that they planned to shop Abraham around the league is utterly delusional.

Any team that wants to sign Abraham has to deal not only with the Jets' right of first refusal, but that team would have to relinquish two first-round draft picks as compensation, something that has as much a chance of happening as Joe Namath coming out of retirement to lead the Jets to another Super Bowl.

As for Abraham, if he holds out of the offseason program, he's only setting himself up for a rash of criticism, particularly if he gets hurt again in 2005.

No team is going to give up 2 draft choices for Abe- He should just get into the proper condition and show some dedication and he then will deserve getting a long term contract.

Missing the mini-camp is the worst advice his agent could possibly give to him if they want a long term deal from us.

No team is going to give up 2 draft choices for Abe-

i dunno about 2 firsts but they would give up a first and a conditional later pick in 2006 i bet

he's a 3x probowl rush DE at the age of 26 - someone somewhere is lusting after this guy, terry's job now is to find that person and ship Abe's greedy ass out of conference

You guys notice the constant in that article?THOUGH HIS AGENTS-some said I smell fish(Tuna)Me?I smelled a greedy agent and it seems my Italian nose was right.

The thing about Abe not showing up for the playoffs-Willis Reed he coulda pulled a Willis Reed went out on the feild and inspired the Jets-he chose not to so as not to jeopardize the long term big payoff,who knows might have been his agent telling him don't go-don't risk it...Willis Reed in that game against LA couldn't even jump 3 inches but it was enough t0o inspire the team to a romp-and a Championship.We'll never know if John Abraham could have done the same thing for us against Pittsburg-that's the sad part

thats why that POS needs to go

[quote name='"

Yes it is. White Russian and all :wink:[/quote']

One of my favorite movies of all time-I recorded it from I dunno HBO but at the end they said that they used the "F" word 239 times(I don't remmeber the exact number)I thought that was funny.I love Joel and Ethan Coen and never miss their movies

Archived