Mehta: Only three people within the Jets organization knew their NFL Draft QB pecking order

Patriot Killa

Mehta: Only three people within the Jets organization knew their NFL Draft QB pecking order 

NEW YORK DAILY NEWS
MAY 04, 2018 | 7:04 AM

Before the football gods gave the Jets a gift of a lifetime on the first night of the draft, just about everyone in the war room was in the dark.

What was Gang Green's quarterback pecking order? Baker Mayfield? Josh Rosen? Sam Darnold? Josh Allen? Lamar Jackson?

Only three people could answer that question. And none of them had uttered a word inside the building.

The Jets ratcheted up their secrecy before the franchise's most important draft in memory. Browns general manager John Dorsey joked that his wife didn't even know that he was going to take Mayfield with the No. 1 overall pick. Well, Jets GM Mike Maccagnan kept his intentions close to the vest, too. Only CEO Christopher Johnson, Todd Bowles and Maccagnan knew the exact signal caller pecking order on One Jets Drive.

For the first time, Maccagnan did not even put a final grade on any of the Top 5 quarterback prospects for fear that word might trickle out and jeopardize the most pivotal decision of his professional life. So, there was no record of the quarterback final grades in the Jets' digital draft program or on the old-school cards that typically get stacked on one of the two big draft boards. Every other player except Darnold, Mayfield, Rosen, Allen and Jackson had a final grade next to his name. The cards identifying the Top 5 quarterbacks were separated from the rest of the cards.

Maccagnan kept the quarterback intel in his head.

If ever there was clear evidence of how critical this pick was to the franchise, this was it. There would be no visual evidence of how the Jets brain trust viewed these quarterbacks, no paper trail that could fall into the wrong hands, no hackers that could break into the digital ranking system, no loose lips that could sink this green-and-white ship.

Maccagnan, Bowles and Johnson were protective of this information like never before. The GM had solicited evaluations and grades from his scouts and coaches, listened to countless opinions, but he had to make the final decision. A collaborative process still needed one ultimate decision maker. It was Maccagnan's call.

The Jets have two boards in their war room: One for draftable players and another for priority free-agent targets. On the first night of the draft, Maccagnan told the Coordinator of College Scouting Dan Zbojovsky to leave the board of draftable players down.

There was no reason to stack the big board. The Jets weren't trading down from the No. 3 pick. Only two players would be gone. They were taking one of those coveted quarterbacks. That wasn't exactly breaking news. So, what sense did it make to stack a bunch of players that weren't a consideration on Day 1?

The Jets brass had believed that Darnold was destined for Cleveland for months before the tenor changed. By mid-afternoon on draft day, there were strong rumblings that Mayfield would be the next face of The Factory of Sadness. The Jets, however, still were unsure what the Giants would do even though they knew Dave Gettleman had an affinity for Penn State running back Saquon Barkley.

Would a quarterback-needy team make the Giants an offer they couldn't refuse to leap over the Jets for Darnold? The Jets, frankly, couldn't say for certain.

When Gettleman took Barkley, disbelief, joy, exhaustion and relief washed over the general manager and head coach. Did Darnold actually fall into their laps?

A short while later, Maccagnan was coy about whether Darnold was, indeed, his top choice.

"I don't want to get into where we had guys ranked," Maccagnan said the night he drafted Darnold, "But we were very excited when he was available for us at three."

The Daily News' understanding is that Darnold was the organization's top choice that appeared unattainable for the longest time. But what was Maccagnan's pecking order?

He'll take that information to the grave … or Canton for Darnold's enshrinement one day.

We know his first choice was either darnold or Mayfield. A lot of speculation leading up to the draft that he wanted Mayfield but he also said they were not expecting darnold to fall to them. Was probably darnold Mayfield and the rest will forever be question marks

Sent from my [device_name] using http://JetNation.com mobile app

There isn’t one piece of information shared between Chris Johnson, Todd Bowles, and Mike Maccagnan that has any societal or practical value. Macc deserves credit for trading up and being in position to profit from someone else’s mistake, but why are they trying to paint it like they successfully executed a plan to steal the Mona Lisa? They’re the bankrupt hillbilly in Arkansas that bought a winning scratch off. Kudos for turning a food stamp into $100k, Joe Bob.

I am encouraged by the lack of leaks in the organization.  Sure, there was a lot of talk that the Jets were going to take Mayfield at 3, but I think that came from the Mayfield camp, which had an interest in encouraging a good team to trade up to 2.  As it turned out, it might have served to change the Browns' mind -- who knows?

20 minutes ago, T0mShane said:

There isn’t one piece of information shared between Chris Johnson, Todd Bowles, and Mike Maccagnan that has any societal or practical value. Macc deserves credit for trading up and being in position to profit from someone else’s mistake, but why are they trying to paint it like they successfully executed a plan to steal the Mona Lisa? They’re the bankrupt hillbilly in Arkansas that bought a winning scratch off. Kudos for turning a food stamp into $100k, Joe Bob.

I agree that we got very lucky but trading up was the right move

21 minutes ago, T0mShane said:

Jets win Super Bowl 54

Tom Shane: "Congrats on benefiting from the other teams 15 incompletions, 2 fumbles, 1 INT and 7 missed tackles!"

Just now, JoJoTownsell1 said:

Jets win Super Bowl 54

Tom Shane: "Congrats on benefiting from the other teams 15 incompletions, 2 fumbles, 1 INT and 7 missed tackles!"

I see your point, but I’m a bigger jets fan than you, by magnitudes 

It was probably:

Darnold
Mayfield
Rosen
Allen 
Jackson

Since it was assumed Darnold was going #1 he was never considered an option.
That's why there was so much Mayfield talk leading up to the draft

27 minutes ago, T0mShane said:

Just out of curiosity, why is it acceptable for you to stereotype and insult certain groups of people? 

1 minute ago, KRL said:

It was probably:

Darnold
Mayfield
Rosen
Allen 
Jackson

Since it was assumed Darnold was going #1 he was never considered an option.
That's why there was so much Mayfield talk leading up to the draft

i heard beningo and roberts talking with kim jones the other day.  they were saying that mccags favored rosen while bowles wanted mayfield.  they were saying it would have been interesting to see who they picked but they assumed that mccagnan would have had his way.  if this is true i'm guessing rosen would have been the pick based on mccagnan's preference for a qb with measurables.  

4 minutes ago, T0mShane said:

Jets management? Because of years of research.

Cute, and a bit funny, but you repeatedly insult people of a certain socioeconomic/geographic class/location. Im not sure why that is tolerable, or even acceptable.

2 minutes ago, NoBowles said:

Cute, and a bit funny, but you repeatedly insult people of a certain socioeconomic/geographic class/location. Im not sure why that is tolerable, or even acceptable.

Ohhhhhhhhh. Short answer: because the Rust and Bible Belts don’t have broadband, Max doesn’t lose any market share if I insult them because they’ll never see it unless someone prints my posts out for them. Hope that clears it up, Randy.

2 minutes ago, T0mShane said:

Ohhhhhhhhh. Short answer: because the Rust and Bible Belts don’t have broadband, Max doesn’t lose any market share if I insult them because they’ll never see it unless someone prints my posts out for them. Hope that clears it up, Randy.

Nice... Very progressive of you....

Just now, JetFreak89 said:

Says the guy who gets his panties in a twist every time the word "kneeling" is mentioned.....

LOL, I do? I find the kneeling to be hypocritical and a completely unnecessary distraction to the game, explain to me how that equates to insulting socioeconomic/geographic groups?

Never knew this before watching Ozark on Netflix but did you know Hillbillies and Rednecks deplore each other and that either will hate you forever (possibly kill you) if you mistake one for the other?

Just a little added value from Kleckineau resident haute New Yorker.

9 minutes ago, Kleckineau said:

Never knew this before watching Ozark on Netflix but did you know Hillbillies and Rednecks deplore each other and that either will hate you forever (possibly kill you) if you mistake one for the other?

Just a little added value from Kleckineau resident haute New Yorker.

I was entirely unaware. I thank you, from my cloistered enclave set along the shores of Connecticut’s pastoral wine trail. 

Edited out-

"And after this wonderful success, Maccganan got drunk for 3 days. Instead that idiot Bowles, blind to the current enforcement of NFL rules making reliance on defense an imbecilic stratagem of epic proportions, was then allowed to pick   whoever the f__ he wanted."To hell with fresh OL talent  protecting our newfound franchise QB, we're gonna hand off 45 times a game and punt down 2 scores late in the 4th anyway. Scoring points is overrated. Offense be damned, give me more defense  all around.", said the ball coach. "Can't have enough JAG non edge pass rushers on your defense when you want to lose 17-13.Looking to play 5 DL guys and 7 DBs anyway.    "  Bowles appeared  unaware that they Jets currently have a 3-4 defense and only 11 defenders are allowed on the field at one time. "

49 minutes ago, T0mShane said:

1 hour ago, Bruce Harper said:

I am encouraged by the lack of leaks in the organization.  Sure, there was a lot of talk that the Jets were going to take Mayfield at 3, but I think that came from the Mayfield camp, which had an interest in encouraging a good team to trade up to 2.  As it turned out, it might have served to change the Browns' mind -- who knows?

wait, didn't bowles gush about mayfield a few weeks ago? at the time it sounded like he was letting the cat out of the bag. mayfield and darnold had to be on the list. hard to say if allen or rosen was the no. three prospect given the recent revelations about rosen.

I said this weeks ago..weeks ago.

All these Albrights, Cimini's, Costello's are just spewing crap, throwing crap against the wall. 

Remember this next year when these media clowns write, "per league sources the Jets like........." 

GM of team openly speaks about draft with the media and shares his information with the entire organization:

This is a prime example of the GM not knowing how to manage a team. He doesn't understand the importance of proprietary information.

GM of team keeps information in a vault and only let's his head coach and owner know of his intentions:

Meh. It's not like the information was important anyway. Not a big deal at all. We all know that he wanted to draft safeties at 1, 2 and 2, but instead, he traded away three 2nd rounders only to have a potential franchise QB fall into his lap. 

1 hour ago, T0mShane said:

As Branch Ricky once said "Luck is the residue of design".

Put another way, sometimes it is better to be lucky rather than good.

1 hour ago, NoBowles said:

Just out of curiosity, why is it acceptable for you to stereotype and insult certain groups of people? 

Jets management? Because of years of research.

1 hour ago, NoBowles said:

402Qak3.gif

5 minutes ago, Scott Dierking said:

As Branch Ricky once said "Luck is the residue of design".

Put another way, sometimes it is better to be lucky rather than good.

I will take your word for it. I’ve spent a lifetime building a tree fort of mediocrity in an attempt to stave off any bad luck that comes my way.

10 minutes ago, C Mart said:

I said this weeks ago..weeks ago.

All these Albrights, Cimini's, Costello's are just spewing crap, throwing crap against the wall. 

Remember this next year when these media clowns write, "per league sources the Jets like........." 

Exactly.  They have to write something and they have nothing credible or truly sourced so they make stuff up.   We know this, we see this every year, this isn’t surprising.  

Archived