Jump to content

Mehta: Only three people within the Jets organization knew their NFL Draft QB pecking order


Patriot Killa
 Share

Recommended Posts

1 hour ago, bealeb319 said:

We know his first choice was either darnold or Mayfield. A lot of speculation leading up to the draft that he wanted Mayfield but he also said they were not expecting darnold to fall to them. Was probably darnold Mayfield and the rest will forever be question marks

Sent from my [device_name] using http://JetNation.com mobile app
 

the fact that Macc actually wet his pants when the Giants took Barkley spoke volumes to me.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, bealeb319 said:

We know his first choice was either darnold or Mayfield. A lot of speculation leading up to the draft that he wanted Mayfield but he also said they were not expecting darnold to fall to them. Was probably darnold Mayfield and the rest will forever be question marks

Sent from my [device_name] using http://JetNation.com mobile app
 

I'm perfectly fine not knowing the rest of the order.  In fact, for Macc's benefit and to keep him in the good graces of the fans, it might be best not knowing that he was ready to go Allen, Jackson, Rosen next. :P 

  • Upvote 1
  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

5 minutes ago, sec101row23 said:

Exactly.  They have to write something and they have nothing credible or truly sourced so they make stuff up.   We know this, we see this every year, this isn’t surprising.  

Some do. I know some here swear Albright knows the inner workings of the Jets

Link to comment
Share on other sites

14 minutes ago, TheNuuFaaolaExperience said:

GM of team openly speaks about draft with the media and shares his information with the entire organization:

This is a prime example of the GM not knowing how to manage a team. He doesn't understand the importance of proprietary information.

GM of team keeps information in a vault and only let's his head coach and owner know of his intentions:

Meh. It's not like the information was important anyway. Not a big deal at all. We all know that he wanted to draft safeties at 1, 2 and 2, but instead, he traded away three 2nd rounders only to have a potential franchise QB fall into his lap. 

 

There's no upside long term to telling any reporter any of this. All that really happened, we hope, is 2 competing franchises made a costly error in not picking Darnold. As Von Clausewitz would say, if your enemy is making a mistake, recognize that , let him do so and take advantage. Instead we get these 2 idiots winning the lottery and running off at Mach 1 to tell this 3rd idiot what geniuses they are. 

  • Post of the Week 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

It would be amusing if mac kept this top secret because he thought the browns would actually be influenced by what the jets did lol.  I see this more being about the PR for Mac. He didn’t think darnold would be there, so he can later say he traded up to 3 to get mayfield and declare that he had been his #1 . Otherwise people would have said, you could have stayed at 6 and drafted mayfield, your second option.

  • Upvote 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

I'm perfectly fine not knowing the rest of the order.  In fact, for Macc's benefit and to keep him in the good graces of the fans, it might be best not knowing that he was ready to go Allen, Jackson, Rosen next.  
I fear Allen was going to be our number two or 3 guy and it would have been disasterous

Sent from my [device_name] using http://JetNation.com mobile app

  • Haha 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, T0mShane said:

There isn’t one piece of information shared between Chris Johnson, Todd Bowles, and Mike Maccagnan that has any societal or practical value. Macc deserves credit for trading up and being in position to profit from someone else’s mistake, but why are they trying to paint it like they successfully executed a plan to steal the Mona Lisa? They’re the bankrupt hillbilly in Arkansas that bought a winning scratch off. Kudos for turning a food stamp into $100k, Joe Bob.

I think it is important.  At least now when they pretend Darnold was first choice they have some sliver of credibility 

1 hour ago, T0mShane said:

I see your point, but I’m a bigger jets fan than you, by magnitudes 

 <

No PSL = not a real fan

  • Upvote 1
  • Thumb Down 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, KRL said:

It was probably:

Darnold
Mayfield
Rosen
Allen 
Jackson

Since it was assumed Darnold was going #1 he was never considered an option.
That's why there was so much Mayfield talk leading up to the draft

Yes, that is the order that makes sense. The Mayfield stuff was not really a smokescreen, but as it turned out probably directly lead to us getting Darnold.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Augustiniak said:

i heard beningo and roberts talking with kim jones the other day.  they were saying that mccags favored rosen while bowles wanted mayfield.  they were saying it would have been interesting to see who they picked but they assumed that mccagnan would have had his way.  if this is true i'm guessing rosen would have been the pick based on mccagnan's preference for a qb with measurables.  

But based on Mehta's article it's just speculation. Anyone think Mcc & Bowles have said who their preferences were?  By creating this Mcc's #2 was player x and Bowles was player y they can milk this topic for months & yrs instead of just saying thanks and move on

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, NoBowles said:

Just out of curiosity, why is it acceptable for you to stereotype and insult certain groups of people? 

                                                   :good:

  • Upvote 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

37 minutes ago, bealeb319 said:

I fear Allen was going to be our number two or 3 guy and it would have been disastrous.

Sent from my [device_name] using http://JetNation.com mobile app
 

Maybe, maybe not. Time will tell. The Bills fans out here are overjoyed they got Allen. We'll know more come next January.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

At First it was Darnold like the rest of the country. But the Jets had to have a number 2 and and number 3 so they interviewed and dug and met and dined the players. The Jets came away falling in love with Mayfield. Mayfield was their #1 I believe or at least he was Bowles #1 even on draft day. Darnold was Mac's number 1 and I believe that Rosen could of been Mac's #2. Through all of this I think everyone is quite happy with Darnold. I know this because my cat Stinky told me.

  • Haha 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

8 minutes ago, Nixhead said:

At First it was Darnold like the rest of the country. But the Jets had to have a number 2 and and number 3 so they interviewed and dug and met and dined the players. The Jets came away falling in love with Mayfield. Mayfield was their #1 I believe or at least he was Bowles #1 even on draft day. Darnold was Mac's number 1 and I believe that Rosen could of been Mac's #2. Through all of this I think everyone is quite happy with Darnold. I know this because my cat Stinky told me.

While I have little concern over Bowles' rankings, from what has come out in the past week, I think it actually looks like Darnold was his #1.  There have been articles that have cited Bowles as the one lamenting they would never see Darnold again after their private workout, and in the clip of his call to Darnold on draft day, he seemed pretty friggin' giddy about it.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, #27TheDominator said:

I think it is important.  At least now when they pretend Darnold was first choice they have some sliver of credibility 

 <

No PSL = not a real fan

It was all about Mac being able to say mayfield was his #1 all along when darnold was picked by either browns or giants. He didnt want to look like his trade up failed to get the qb he really wanted. His gamble payed off though.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

7 hours ago, T0mShane said:

There isn’t one piece of information shared between Chris Johnson, Todd Bowles, and Mike Maccagnan that has any societal or practical value. Macc deserves credit for trading up and being in position to profit from someone else’s mistake, but why are they trying to paint it like they successfully executed a plan to steal the Mona Lisa? They’re the bankrupt hillbilly in Arkansas that bought a winning scratch off. Kudos for turning a food stamp into $100k, Joe Bob.

Moving up to #3 was a clever and well-calculated move.  Doing it 5 weeks before the Draft is the only reason the Jets have Sam Darnold.  The Colts would have gotten much more had they waited until Draft night in my opinion.

a-real-man-makes-his-own-luck-billy-zane-titanic.jpg

 

  • Upvote 2
  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

44 minutes ago, jetstream23 said:

Moving up to #3 was a clever and well-calculated move.  Doing it 5 weeks before the Draft is the only reason the Jets have Sam Darnold.  The Colts would have gotten much more had they waited until Draft night in my opinion.

a-real-man-makes-his-own-luck-billy-zane-titanic.jpg

 

 

To do it and still have next year's first is just friggin' great.

  • Upvote 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

It was probably:
Darnold
Mayfield
Rosen
Allen 
Jackson
Since it was assumed Darnold was going #1 he was never considered an option.
That's why there was so much Mayfield talk leading up to the draft

Ahhh....if the Jets really wanted Mayfield there is no way the supposed ‘man love’ for the guy would have made its way to the streets as it did.

I still say the Jets put out any Mayfield stuff in hopes that some team would take him at 1 or 2 and leave Darnold for them (or at least Rosen).


Sent from my iPhone using JetNation.com mobile app
  • Upvote 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

8 hours ago, Beerfish said:

I am harsh about our CEO and our gm not drafting priority players but I will give this front office full credit on keeping a tight ship and no info leaks at all.  Since mac took over there has been no loose lips.

Culture rules all, it’s the main reason why I’ve shown appreciation to this regime.

Not every pick is going to be a hit, what matters is that you manage the risk and I think they have done that very well.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

8 hours ago, NoBowles said:

Cute, and a bit funny, but you repeatedly insult people of a certain socioeconomic/geographic class/location. Im not sure why that is tolerable, or even acceptable.

Lighten up Francis... this IS just a fan forum.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

This article/finding is so positive in multiple ways you just look like a dick trying to find something bad to say about it. The fact that they were able to keep their rankings so under wraps is exactly what I wanted to hear.  Maccagnan's downfall or success is going to lie with the rest of the draft. He has to start hitting on his other non first round picks too. But I'm actually sorta excited for once.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 5/4/2018 at 10:51 AM, Augustiniak said:

i heard beningo and roberts talking with kim jones the other day.  they were saying that mccags favored rosen while bowles wanted mayfield.  they were saying it would have been interesting to see who they picked but they assumed that mccagnan would have had his way.  if this is true i'm guessing rosen would have been the pick based on mccagnan's preference for a qb with measurables.  

My buddy you works for the Jets told me the week of the draft that the 3 big decision makers were all riding the Mayfield bandwagon, since they thought Darnold was going #1. There were people in the organization that wanted Rosen but Mac, Bowles, and Heimerdinger were all on the same page. That’s not to say Bates and other staff weren’t, it’s just that the top 3 who make the final decision were all on board with it.

I do think Rosen would have been the pick at #3 had Darnold and Mayfield gone 1 - 2.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Restore formatting

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

 Share



×
×
  • Create New...