Dolphins claim Petty

Joe the Breadman

7 hours ago, Beerfish said:

Fantastic, after a mere 4 days I have essentially forgot about work.

I would encourage anyone thinking about it to go sooner than later if your finances allow it.

Congrats bro. I did it at 54. I went back to work at 57. Not out of necessity but I was plain bored out of my t!ts. Hope you can last longer than I did.

15 hours ago, batman10023 said:

congrats on the retirement.

how old are you?

I'm 57.  I could have retired last year at this time but waited one more year.  My timing is great though as a new management regime came into place and the guy who was one of my bosses was a disingenuous dick head.

8 hours ago, JetFaninMI said:

Congrats bro. I did it at 54. I went back to work at 57. Not out of necessity but I was plain bored out of my t!ts. Hope you can last longer than I did.

I could certainly do some consulting if I wished.  My old work place has already asked if I will come back for a bit later one for a few projects.  For now I am happy to be able to just get out of work mode totally and get other things done.

It's amazing how much house yard stuff I am getting done so far.  All the jobs I just put off for years.  ?

6 minutes ago, Beerfish said:

I'm 57.  I could have retired last year at this time but waited one more year.  My timing is great though as a new management regime came into place and the guy who was one of my bosses was a disingenuous dick head.

Congrats, man! 

I'm done in 1-3 years, leaning more and more towards the one. Haven't heard anyone complain about retiring too early, yet. 

Just now, slats said:

Congrats, man! 

I'm done in 1-3 years, leaning more and more towards the one. Haven't heard anyone complain about retiring too early, yet. 

Well as jetfaninmi said, if a person changes their mind you can always work again if you want or need to.  I just decided I wanted to pack it in sooner than later.  I've known a few people that stayed to long and then kicked the bucket while still working or just after retiring. 

13 hours ago, Beerfish said:

Well as jetfaninmi said, if a person changes their mind you can always work again if you want or need to.  I just decided I wanted to pack it in sooner than later.  I've known a few people that stayed to long and then kicked the bucket while still working or just after retiring. 

Agree 110% I'm 54 with months to go from a job I started when I was 21 my body is beat up from the physical demands put on me at work. 

Its time. 

On 5/5/2018 at 10:39 PM, Maxman said:

It does. I changed my mind. The Dolphins should start him.

I'm not worried about the Jets facing Petty.

I mean its not like he is a Brett Ratliff or Chris Simms and anyway Jamal may finally get his first int.

Although he struggled terribly with the Jets, I’m not surprised he got picked up. I didn’t really like the way the Jets used him and the game never slowed down for him. More time, more experience and he could be a viable backup. Maybe more.

On 5/5/2018 at 9:27 AM, Beerfish said:

nice.  you must be pretty happy to be retiring at 57.   

how many years of living expenses (ignore inflation) do you need to have to retire at 57?

1 hour ago, Gas2No99 said:

Image of The Dolphins organization rushing to claim Petty on waivers ahead of other teams:

yog028hwid6jaztgojg0.gif

OMG the Jets Oline is complete garbage. 

Yes, we have our Sam Darnold but no, we have NOTHING to protect him on this OL.  Beachum, Shell and Ilajana as our choices at OT are scary.   So happy Mac put his best effort in to shore up the Oline in the draft!  (not).

2 hours ago, batman10023 said:

nice.  you must be pretty happy to be retiring at 57.   

how many years of living expenses (ignore inflation) do you need to have to retire at 57?

Well I have a number of factors that have favored me.

#1 No wife or kids or ex wife, thus no cash drain  for college etc.

#2 The place I work for has a  very solid pension plan.

#3 I do not live an overly extravagant lifestyle (to this point in time.)

I have it set up so that I get a higher pension from now until i am 65 then it will drop. 

1 hour ago, Dcat said:

OMG the Jets Oline is complete garbage. 

Yes, we have our Sam Darnold but no, we have NOTHING to protect him on this OL.  Beachum, Shell and Ilajana as our choices at OT are scary.   So happy Mac put his best effort in to shore up the Oline in the draft!  (not).

While I know that has become everyone's favorite gif to "prove" something about the OL, it couldn't be more irrelevant at this point.  That was from during the 2016 season, and since then they have replaced the center and both tackles.  That's not even to mention that the entire play happened that way because Johnson screwed up with an early snap.

Calling anything about Beachum "scary" is absurd.  He is ridiculously underappreciated around here, especially considering the return they're getting for the price he's paid at LT ($8M/year is chump change for the position).  Not to say he's a top player at the position or anything, but he was solid and the very the least of their concerns on the line last year.  Looking at last year's grades, he provides a return similar to Solder for half the price the Giants will be paying him, and is younger to boot.

Now don't get me wrong, I don't blame folks for being less than confident in this OL, but it doesn't help when, what has recently become the most commonly cited example, is meaningless to the current situation.

On 5/4/2018 at 6:52 PM, jack48 said:

Enjoy.  I don't even know what day of the week it is anymore

My parents were the same way when they retired years ago. Time was irrelevant to them. Clueless as to what day of the week it was. 

Found them a clock that didn’t give them the time, just the day of the week. I’m looking forward to taking that clock for myself soon. 

43B9FD2F-5AF4-4BA4-9901-1F15579A524E.jpeg

1 hour ago, Bleedin Green said:

While I know that has become everyone's favorite gif to "prove" something about the OL, it couldn't be more irrelevant at this point.  That was from during the 2016 season, and since then they have replaced the center and both tackles.  That's not even to mention that the entire play happened that way because Johnson screwed up with an early snap.

Calling anything about Beachum "scary" is absurd.  He is ridiculously underappreciated around here, especially considering the return they're getting for the price he's paid at LT ($8M/year is chump change for the position).  Not to say he's a top player at the position or anything, but he was solid and the very the least of their concerns on the line last year.  Looking at last year's grades, he provides a return similar to Solder for half the price the Giants will be paying him, and is younger to boot.

Now don't get me wrong, I don't blame folks for being less than confident in this OL, but it doesn't help when, what has recently become the most commonly cited example, is meaningless to the current situation.

I'm glad you replied with this.  Thank you.  Helps me put OL issues in perspective.  That video clip of Petty getting crushed by Suh and the other DE just sent me into "sky is falling" mode.

2 hours ago, Beerfish said:

Well I have a number of factors that have favored me.

#1 No wife or kids or ex wife, thus no cash drain  for college etc.

#2 The place I work for has a  very solid pension plan.

#3 I do not live an overly extravagant lifestyle (to this point in time.)

I have it set up so that I get a higher pension from now until i am 65 then it will drop. 

dang you got me on all 3 counts

1) wife and 2 kids

2) no pension plan

3) my monthly nut is like 25k a month

without number 1 i'd probably also be retired by now.  they are a big cash drain.

congrats.

Archived