Ben Roethlisberger on the Mason Rudolph draft and possibly Mentoring

Villain The Foe

Though I can also sense that Ben feels the pressure a bit for the fact that he even addressed this, I really loved his response when asked about possibly taking Rudolph under his wing and being a "mentor". 

I would guarantee that Bens response was similar to how Favre approached it with Rodgers which pushed Rodgers to be the player he is, Montana's approach to Young etc. 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yT3VgO49NKA&t

Mason Rudolph is in the correct place to develop his potential. No handouts....grind your ass off, period. 

The Steelers  preseason will be great to see. 

Just now, Untouchable said:

Great player, complete prima donna douchebag.

He plays hurt.   But makes sure you know he is playing hurt.

For a couple years, he is going year to year.   They draft a Qb in the 3rd, "I don't know why, I'm playing 3-4 more years at least"

oh yeah.   and he's a rapist

44 minutes ago, Villain The Foe said:

Though I can also sense that Ben feels the pressure a bit for the fact that he even addressed this, I really loved his response when asked about possibly taking Rudolph under his wing and being a "mentor". 

I would guarantee that Bens response was similar to how Favre approached it with Rodgers which pushed Rodgers to be the player he is, Montana's approach to Young etc. 

Mason Rudolph is in the correct place to develop his potential. No handouts....grind your ass off, period. 

Saw a funny interview with Rodgers shortly after he had taken over for Favre.  Reporter asked him how much Favre had helped him develop, Rogers replied "I think he said hello once as we passed in the hall"

5 hours ago, chirorob said:

He plays hurt.   But makes sure you know he is playing hurt.

For a couple years, he is going year to year.   They draft a Qb in the 3rd, "I don't know why, I'm playing 3-4 more years at least"

oh yeah.   and he's a rapist

Yeah, this part confused me. Ben, look at your life, look at your choices. You can't almost retire and then get upset when they draft a QB in the third round.

4 hours ago, DoubleDown said:

Ballsy attitude from someone who has been threatening retirement every year for the past few years. What does he expect?

this,  the guy has been pulling the woe is me i may retire shtick for a few years, now pitt gets a guy and not too early and he;s all pissy about it?

Some of these guys, brady too seem to have to invent things to get motivates about.

Couldn't care less about what Ben said about being butt hurt they drafted a QB.

It was interesting how he pretty much said 'look, if the guy asks for help I'll help him' and brushed off any suggestion to  'put him under my wing' and mentor nonsense.

In most professions, someone mentoring another person is not at their 'direct' expense...i.e., if successful you lose your job.  As a Navy Officer and Physician I mentor young Doctors all the time.  But the world needs more good Doctors, and I may require one sooner or later before I die.  Same for Navy Officers.

But there's only 1 starting QB job per team...and it pays VERY WELL.  McCown had a moderately successful year last year and cashed in for a cool $10 million.  Who's to say he's not thinking about repeating that this year and for another contract next year?  If McCown was here as a recently retired QB in a coaching staff role, or signed to a backup QB deal with that understanding going into the contract, I'd buy the 'mentor' nonsense.  I'm sure McCown doesn't mind serving as an example as the starting QB of the NYJ for Sam but mentoring is more than just setting an example.

Maybe McCown is more magnanimous than I give him credit for...guess we'll see.  But my takeaway from Ben's comments are 'it's my damn job and I need to make sure I'm ready' not worry about my replacement.

17 minutes ago, greenwave81 said:

It was interesting how he pretty much said 'look, if the guy asks for help I'll help him' and brushed off any suggestion to  'put him under my wing' and mentor nonsense.

In most professions, someone mentoring another person is not at their 'direct' expense...i.e., if successful you lose your job.  As a Navy Officer and Physician I mentor young Doctors all the time.  But the world needs more good Doctors, and I may require one sooner or later before I die.  Same for Navy Officers.

But there's only 1 starting QB job per team...and it pays VERY WELL.  McCown had a moderately successful year last year and cashed in for a cool $10 million.  Who's to say he's not thinking about repeating that this year and for another contract next year?  If McCown was here as a recently retired QB in a coaching staff role, or signed to a backup QB deal with that understanding going into the contract, I'd buy the 'mentor' nonsense.  I'm sure McCown doesn't mind serving as an example as the starting QB of the NYJ for Sam but mentoring is more than just setting an example.

Maybe McCown is more magnanimous than I give him credit for...guess we'll see.  But my takeaway from Ben's comments are 'it's my damn job and I need to make sure I'm ready' not worry about my replacement.

Exactly. And honestly, that's the mentality you want from your starting QB, even if he is the bridge. I know that if I was a journey man I would want that "journey" aspect of my career to stop at some point. Every job that I get im looking to be the starter and be successful until I retire. Anyone who comes in after me who's younger and considered to have more potential will have to learn through trial and error as well. It's one thing to answer a question the young guys have, its another to be a "mentor" and the starting QB. The concept is bullsh*t. Either you have a starting quarterback or you have a coach. I also find it quite telling that it's the successful QB's that dont go for that "mentor" role too, which is also a problem that I have with the role itself. If you want your young QB to be successful then put him around success. Those successful QB's aren't grooming their replacements. They're instead making that environment very competitive. 

Exactly. And honestly, that's the mentality you want from your starting QB, even if he is the bridge. I know that if I was a journey man I would want that "journey" aspect of my career to stop at some point. Every job that I get im looking to be the starter and be successful until I retire. Anyone who comes in after me who's younger and considered to have more potential will have to learn through trial and error as well. It's one thing to answer a question the young guys have, its another to be a "mentor" and the starting QB. The concept is bullsh*t. Either you have a starting quarterback or you have a coach. I also find it quite telling that it's the successful QB's that do go for that "mentor" role too, which is also a problem that I have with the role itself. If you want your young QB to be successful then put him around success. Those successful QB's aren't grooming their replacements. They're instead making that environment very competitive. 

Well said!

I don't think it's even the same thing as Favre who made it known he never wanted to retire and would play until the bitter end.

As others have pointed out, Big Ben has publicly flirted with retirement for years. How dumb would the Steelers look not to address a possible successor? Seems like the "retirement" stuff was just looking to have his ego stroked just like he promotes his tough guy "walking boot" persona.

Kind of liked how he was honest in his answer. Spoke like a totally regular guy, not some famous football q.b., especially when talking about last years 4th round qb pick "do they think they made a mistake drafting him?"  was talking like a real fan giving commentary on his team; pretty rare to heae stuff like that. 

41 minutes ago, UntouchableCrew said:

I don't think it's even the same thing as Favre who made it known he never wanted to retire and would play until the bitter end.

As others have pointed out, Big Ben has publicly flirted with retirement for years. How dumb would the Steelers look not to address a possible successor? Seems like the "retirement" stuff was just looking to have his ego stroked just like he promotes his tough guy "walking boot" persona.

Im not comparing the retirement aspect but the mentoring aspect. Both guys clearly werent having it. 

Ben has been talking or alluding to possible retirement for the past 2 seasons, you're correct on that. Favre had to be pushed out of the league. 

16 hours ago, Untouchable said:

Great player, complete prima donna douchebag.

Great player? He’s a f*cking rapist. F*ck that dude. I hope someone cuts off his willie. 

12 hours ago, greenwave81 said:

I agree with this, and believe it is true 90% of the time but then I think there are guys like McCown who get paid what they do because they are outliers in these situations. McCown hasn’t been considered a starting qbs in a long time and his willingness to “mentor” I think makes him that more attractive as a “journeyman” qb so to say. He knew what he signed up for this year and I believe the jets knew what they paid for before they made the deal 

Even better is that he is moaning about them using, not a 1st rounder, or a 2nd rounder, but a 3rd rounder on a QB.  Because yes, that's the pick that was going to put the Steelers over the top otherwise.  Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life, Ben.  Oh and don't rape.

13 hours ago, HessStation said:

It is kind of weird because Landry Jones is very similar to Rudolph. 

Rudolph can actually be Bryce Petty in disguise:

comparing their jr and sr years where they both played in Big 12:

Rudolph: 6'4 235lbs 76th pick
Petty: 6'3 230lbs 103rd pick

Rudolph: '16: 10-3 AP #11
'17 10-3 AP #14

Petty: '13 11-2 B12 champ AP 13
'14 11-2 B12 co-champ AP 7

(following stats are combined averages of their jr and sr year)

Rudolph: 4,322 yds; 64.2%; 32/7; qbr 165

Petty: 4,028 yds; 62.6%; 31/5 qbr 166

Rudolph: 47yds rush 8TD .7ypc
Petty: 155yds rush 10TD 1.7ypc

4 hours ago, Integrity28 said:

Brady is the same way. Possessive if his role. Pricking about it. Narrative for him is: competitive fire

Brady can’t imagine life without sticking his hands in another mans crotch and yelling directions  while millions of people watch and cheer. 

On 5/5/2018 at 12:29 PM, Villain The Foe said:

so what is ben going to show rudolph?  the best way to rape a woman in the ladies room?  i doubt if ben does much but show him who's the boss.

Archived