Jets College Scouting Director Matt Bazirgan is leaving for a Job With Texans

flgreen

Jets college scouting director Matt Bazirgan is leaving for a job with the Texans

By John B  

841377526.jpg.0.jpgPhoto by Jeff Zelevansky/Getty Images

Aaron Wilson of the Houston Chronicle reports Jets director of college scouting Matt Bazirgan is leaving the team to take a job with the Houston Texans.

The Texans are hiring New York Jets director of college scouting Matt Bazirgan for a high-level job in their personnel department, according to league sources not authorized to speak publicly.

Bazirgan is expected to hold the title of director of player personnel after the Jets granted permission for him to talk with the Texans.

It is difficult to judge the quality of front office members aside from the general manager, but there are a few things I take away from this.

1. The Jets had to give the Texans permission to speak with Bazirgan. They could have blocked the move. In general, I like decisions like that. I think blocking people from advancing their careers is penny wise and pound foolish. Yes, the Jets lose a member of their front office, but in doing so they send a message elsewhere that this is a place where an ambitious young scout can advance his career. It makes this a more attractive place to work.

2. While I can’t speak specifically about Bazirgan’s quality, it is a good thing the Jets are employing people who are attractive to other NFL teams. Bazirgan was on the job for just one year because the Colts hired his predecessor, Rex Hogan.

3. Relationships in the NFL matter. NFL general managers will tell you a lot of deals are made because they have good working relationships and trust their counterparts with other teams. While I don’t know the specifics of how the trade between the Jets and the Colts that brought Sam Darnold went down, I can’t imagine having Hogan in Indianapolis hurt the negotiations. Mike Maccagnan clearly has a solid working relationship with his old team, the Texans, and it probably will get a little stronger as a result, which could help facilitate more deals in the future

Wow, apparently he's been with the Jets since 2004, that's a lot of different GMs to stick around through.  He has gotten repeated promotions internally the past few years (Idzik promoted him to assistant pro personnel directory, then Macc promoted him first to pro personnel director, then college scouting director).  Tough for fans to get a good read on these guys, but I guess he's pretty highly regarded.

13 hours ago, flgreen said:

Confusing.

If the Jets drafts are a horrible as posters keep saying they are, why do teams keep hiring their directors of college scouting?

I don't think his elevation is based on their drafts as his assessments don't necessarily have to do with who they actually pick. It's most likely about work ethic, likability, and quality of work. He could have a good track record of favoring certain mid/late UDFA players who've gone on to succeed with other teams. He could have good relationships with a number of schools and college coaches..he could be good at finding top quality scouts.. etc etc

3 hours ago, HessStation said:

I don't think his elevation is based on their drafts as his assessments don't necessarily have to do with who they actually pick. It's most likely about work ethic, likability, and quality of work. He could have a good track record of favoring certain mid/late UDFA players who've gone on to succeed with other teams. He could have good relationships with a number of schools and college coaches..he could be good at finding top quality scouts.. etc etc

At a bar in Louisiana, March:

Texans scout: Bro, shots.

Jets scout: Word, bro.

Texans scout: Bro, remember when you wrote up Aaron Donald. That was epic.

Jets scout: [snorts Ritalin] Bro, I was on his dick* before anyone else.

Texans: You should totally come work for us, bro.

Jets: Bro, get me the hookup, bro. Drop my name. 

This is pretty much how the hiring process works in the scouting community.

*[Actual Jets Scout scouting report on Aaron Donald: “Undersized, short arms, shows some burst. Third round”

2 hours ago, T0mShane said:

At a bar in Louisiana, March:

Texans scout: Bro, shots.

Jets scout: Word, bro.

Texans scout: Bro, remember when you wrote up Aaron Donald. That was epic.

Jets scout: [snorts Ritalin] Bro, I was on his dick* before anyone else.

Texans: You should totally come work for us, bro.

Jets: Bro, get me the hookup, bro. Drop my name. 

This is pretty much how the hiring process works in the scouting community.

*[Actual Jets Scout scouting report on Aaron Donald: “Undersized, short arms, shows some burst. Third round”

When I reread my post I realized I should have wrote "or" instead of "and" in between reasons. sh*t isn't rocket science. Good call. 

Archived