Jets Were Unaware of Hackenberg’s Off-Season Plans

JetNation

• Replies 109
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Hack is still eligible for the practice squad. 
There's hope for him yet
I thought the same, but if Petty got claimed I don't think Hack will make it through waivers.
Hack, or Bowles?
Yes.
There's no point in cutting Hackenberg. Still a young guy who can develop. 
It's not even about the roster spot, really - there's just not enough reps ti develop 2 young QBs in today's NFL. They have no practice time anymore.

Like an nba player working on his form in the offseason would tell his head coach.

Every player is trying to get better during the offseason.  You dont have to go to your coach and tell him that.

And the tweaks to your throwing motion are very slight.  Hes an nfl qb.  He doesnt need to be taught how to throw the ball.  It a little tweak here and there.  

Like an nba player working on his form in the offseason would tell his head coach.
Every player is trying to get better during the offseason.  You dont have to go to your coach and tell him that.
And the tweaks to your throwing motion are very slight.  Hes an nfl qb.  He doesnt need to be taught how to throw the ball.  It a little tweak here and there.  
From CBSsports.com
"(Hackenberg) has been working with Jeff Christensen, who's a passing coach, a throwing coach, who has worked with Jimmy Garoppolo in the past, Kirk Cousins in the past, Ryan Tannehill in the past," Garoppolo reported on NFL Network. "Christensen, I talked to him today, did not want to get into detail about what Hackenberg has been doing, but said he's had over 50 sessions with him to this point, and then by the time he's done with him in the next couple weeks, will be 60 sessions with him. They've had to start from scratch on his throwing motion."

A little tweak here and there is something you do with your QB coach. You go to one of these gurus for extensive workouts to fix bigger flaws.

8 hours ago, FidelioJet said:

What makes you say they've done nothing to develop him?  My understanding is they worked hard in develping him - but he's simply not an NFL caliber player.  It happens.

Maybe in some universes, ignoring him, doing nothing with him, is working hard with him, but not the one I liv in.

6 hours ago, Sonny Werblin said:

What if Hack shows up at camp "fixed" and is the most awesome QB in camp?....... To my credit, I typed more than half of that sentence without laughing.

The sad thing is that would piss off a large majority of posters here. 

1 hour ago, isired said:

I thought the same, but if Petty got claimed I don't think Hack will make it through waivers.Yes.It's not even about the roster spot, really - there's just not enough reps ti develop 2 young QBs in today's NFL. They have no practice time anymore.

Petty was claimed as a Spy, he started games for the Jets, so should have some knowledge of the offense, BB probably had a claim in too - they will milk him for info and cut him loose - although he could beat out Tannehill

11 hours ago, flgreen said:

He actually did tell Bowles .  Todd just didn't know what a "throwing motion" was. 

That’s not fair. Todd is just used to a side arm delivery like he used to throw John Morton under those bus tires.

11 hours ago, Dcat said:

Sure hope this helps him on his next team.  As soon as the jets know that Bridgewater is ready to play full speed, hack will be released.  It will be a 3 - QB roster.  McCown, Bridgewater and Sam.  THe only way Hack makes it through the summer is if Teddy becomnes disabled again.

Definitely will be released. Matter of when not if. Petty being cut means Teddy healthy enough, most likely. 

12 minutes ago, Ohio State NY Jets fan said:

Petty was claimed as a Spy, he started games for the Jets, so should have some knowledge of the offense, BB probably had a claim in too - they will milk him for info and cut him loose - although he could beat out Tannehill

Petty knows nothing of Bates’ offense. 

I guess, but I think it's not inconceivable that somebody (O'Brien in Texas?) might grab him.

9 hours ago, jack48 said:

In the 30s and 40s they used to make what they called "Screwball Comedies."  Nowadays they produce what I call "Dumbass Comedies."

The ultimate screwball comedy was "Its a Mad, mad, mad world... that movie literally had every single star of that era.

The remake "Rat Race " was pretty funny.

9 minutes ago, Joe the Breadman said:

The ultimate screwball comedy was "Its a Mad, mad, mad world... that movie literally had every single star of that era.

The remake "Rat Race " was pretty funny.

Love, It's a Mad, Mad, Mad, Mad World. There's some insane stunt work in that film, to go along with the impressive cast. I couldn't watch 3 minutes of Rat Race, which is more ripoff than remake.

6 hours ago, Larz said:

Monty python more or less formed my taste in comedy 

Pink panther 

History of the world part I

And of course caddy shack, animal house, blazing saddles, ghost busters 

Spies Like Us was another funny movie I would suggest.

Akroyd and Chase were great together.

10 hours ago, NoBowles said:

Maybe in some universes, ignoring him, doing nothing with him, is working hard with him, but not the one I liv in.

What's more likely? 

1) an NFL franchise (yes contrary to many around here - the Jets are an NFL franchise and not a terrible one - but rather a middle of the road) drafted a QB in the 2nd round, put him on the team and simply ignored him for 2 years? even though they actually have a QB coaches on staff

or 

2) They worked with him, tried hard to get to a level of competancy but he simply wasn't good enough?

10 hours ago, isired said:
10 hours ago, Ohio State NY Jets fan said:

I guess, but I think it's not inconceivable that somebody (O'Brien in Texas?) might grab him.

Agree, hack will get a second chance,  just not sure it would be off the practice squad with that second round contract, it has $1.1m left and will count $1.5m on the cap - maybe you put him there and hope but he is not competing with two more years of UDFA QB's with better numbers and more talent

I don't think he helps the Texans with Watson but maybe some other team had a draftable grade on him and will kick the tires - maybe the Bills pair him with Allen LOL

8 hours ago, BUM-KNEE said:

Spies Like Us was another funny movie I would suggest.

Akroyd and Chase were great together.

Doctor,  Doctor... Doctor?  Doctor!

(Have no idea why I think that segment was immensley funny)

2 hours ago, Ohio State NY Jets fan said:

Ok, it was Mortons offense but Petty worked with Bates, was probably in the same room when they discussed strategy, game plans, he should have some insight vs hack 

Plus I hear he knows the Jets' Madden playbook like the back of his hand.

8 hours ago, MaxAF said:

Kinda surprised that at QB #1 high school pick in the nation, plays in college and in the NFL in his 3rd season needs to learn how to throw a football. 

Just goes to show how flawed the high school evaluation process is once upon a time in basketball Tim Thomas was rated higher than Kobe Bryant when both were seniors in high school 

10 hours ago, munchmemory said:

If by changing his throwing motion Hack means that he'll take his "skills" to the CFL or a pro league in Uzbekistan, then I am all in favor of the move.

Just cutting Hack upgrades the roster

11 hours ago, Dcat said:

Doctor,  Doctor... Doctor?  Doctor!

(Have no idea why I think that segment was immensley funny)

I like when they were in boot camp, "Well we will be on our way and you can keep the stool sample".

Agree, hack will get a second chance,  just not sure it would be off the practice squad with that second round contract, it has $1.1m left and will count $1.5m on the cap - maybe you put him there and hope but he is not competing with two more years of UDFA QB's with better numbers and more talent
I don't think he helps the Texans with Watson but maybe some other team had a draftable grade on him and will kick the tires - maybe the Bills pair him with Allen LOL
The money is fully guaranteed though, right? Doesn't matter if he's on the 53, on the PS or in street clothes. Re the Texans I was thinking that O'Brien might think he could recapture the Penn St. Freshman year and revive him into a backup at least.

Just goes to show how flawed the high school evaluation process is once upon a time in basketball Tim Thomas was rated higher than Kobe Bryant when both were seniors in high school 
I think it's more that he/they get away with flaws at the high school and college levels, but can't do it at the pro level. I've heard many QBs talk about how tight the windows are in the NFL compared to even the best college Ds, and also how what passes for an 'open' receiver in the NFL is considered covered in college - in other words, that's as 'open' as they get in the NFL, but a college coach wouldn't want you to make that throw, there's likely somebody more open or will be next play.

Archived