So I've been tough on Macc, but he deserves credit for this...

Pointdexter

Jets have been full of knuckleheads for the last decade +.  Some of the lowlights:

*Santonio Holmes distraction

*Brandon Marshall dustraction

*Fitzmagic holding out and missing valuable off-season.

*Players holding a coup for their love of fitz. Decker, Marshall, etc

*Brett Favre dick pics

*Muhammed Wilkerson lazy, late, and a team cancer. 

*Mevis 2.0. (As if the first stint of this guy didn't tell us where his priorities lined)

*Sheldon...where do I even begin with this knucklehead.

Anyways, you get the point. I could go on for days. Macc has systematically cleaned house. In place are guys like Jamal Adams and Sam Darnold, who are fantastic leaders, not just good football players. Team culture is shifting and I think we can all feel that happening in a positive direction. 

What made me compelled to post this is a quote I read from Nathan Shepherd, a guy who was working min wage jobs to pay for college that eventually led him here. The quote, "'I think that whatever the opportunity the Jets have for me is going to be more than enough for me,'' Shepherd said. ''If they need help in a certain area, then I would certainly feel honored that they would come and look to me for that.''

While I didn't initially like the pick, how can you not love this attitude? And Fats is just as solid and humble. Compare these two attitudes to the two we just sent packing in Mo and Sheldon. We're a better team for it. 

So while Macc has made his share of blunders (cough Hack), I have to give credit where it's due here.

https://www.yahoo.com/sports/shepherd-fatukasi-could-big-impact-jets-d-line-223340696--nfl.html

While I agree with you 100%, the one thing you can't plan for is attitudes changing as careers progress. 

I was all for the mo wilk reup because he seemed like a humble leader his first 3 seasons. Then he magically morphed into a douche.

While I agree with you 100%, the one thing you can't plan for is attitudes changing as careers progress. 
I was all for the mo wilk reup because he seemed like a humble leader his first 3 seasons. Then he magically morphed into a douche.
You were not alone in the wilk fan club idk what happened to him but after his injury it was like he was a different person. I hope he is able to turn his career around and become a good player again

Sent from my [device_name] using http://JetNation.com mobile app

16 minutes ago, Mo Lew said:

Exactly  Money does different things to different people.  In Mo's case it was not a good thing.

14 minutes ago, Mo Lew said:

This. His attitude was really good when he was in his first contract. But even then, I kept saying he’s shown many signs of taking plays off. I kept getting called out every time I brought it up. His play went from great when he tried, to okay when he tried. Took way too many plays off and bybthat, I mean more than 50% of the plays, he would just stand around trying to give the impression of ‘trying’. Glad that sob is gone. 

As for the OP, plenty of the knucklehead moves you mention are directly made by Mac himself. So no, there’s no credit to be given here. All he’s done is cleaned out his own mess to some extent. We know there’s at least one prima Donna on our team (Robby). Outside of that, I don’t think we have a guy that can hold the team hostage like Fitz did. Maybe Leo when it’s his time in 2 years, but even his play has regressed last couple of years. 

Mid like to see some stars in the making on this team to give Mac any credit for his very high drafting. You can’t miss on drafting in the top 6. This players should be all-pro level for them to be successful picks. We’ll find out soon I guess. 

11 minutes ago, nico002 said:

Hmm...

marshall - macc

fitz - macc

wilkerson - macc

mevis 2.0 - macc

anderson - macc

Counterpoint:

- Excellent 1st year, gave up nothing to get him

- Excellent 1st, year, gave up nothing to get him

- Clear best defensive player on the team at the time, homegrown, contract ext. didn't hurt long term cap

- Clear need at CB at the time, contract didn't hurt long term cap

- UDFA find, makes nothing

Isn't a player becoming a malcontent more on the lack of locker room leaderhip/coaching? Every single one of the above deals made clear sense at the time.

What I’ve loved hearing from players in interviews after day one and two of rookie minicamp was: “I missed football” or “it’s just good to be playing football again” and other quotes like that. I think it’s a good sign and a continuation of the build Mac is going for. 

Lol, really thought this would be a thread we could all agree on. While I understand Macc has made mistakes, the bigger picture here is he is successfully changing the culture, a poor one that extends back from well before he got here. One that we haven't seen since the Parcells/Mangini days where guys police themselves and the leaders of the team are dudes you can count on.

2 hours ago, Pointdexter said:

Jets have been full of knuckleheads for the last decade +.  Some of the lowlights:

*Santonio Holmes distraction

*Brandon Marshall dustraction

*Fitzmagic holding out and missing valuable off-season.

*Players holding a coup for their love of fitz. Decker, Marshall, etc

*Brett Favre dick pics

*Muhammed Wilkerson lazy, late, and a team cancer. 

*Mevis 2.0. (As if the first stint of this guy didn't tell us where his priorities lined)

*Sheldon...where do I even begin with this knucklehead.

Anyways, you get the point. I could go on for days. Macc has systematically cleaned house. In place are guys like Jamal Adams and Sam Darnold, who are fantastic leaders, not just good football players. Team culture is shifting and I think we can all feel that happening in a positive direction. 

What made me compelled to post this is a quote I read from Nathan Shepherd, a guy who was working min wage jobs to pay for college that eventually led him here. The quote, "'I think that whatever the opportunity the Jets have for me is going to be more than enough for me,'' Shepherd said. ''If they need help in a certain area, then I would certainly feel honored that they would come and look to me for that.''

While I didn't initially like the pick, how can you not love this attitude? And Fats is just as solid and humble. Compare these two attitudes to the two we just sent packing in Mo and Sheldon. We're a better team for it. 

So while Macc has made his share of blunders (cough Hack), I have to give credit where it's due here.

https://www.yahoo.com/sports/shepherd-fatukasi-could-big-impact-jets-d-line-223340696--nfl.html

2018 is going to be a third straight 5-11 season and you want to stroke the idiot? You are what your record says you are. Wins/Losses are the only results that matter. 4 straight years without playoffs, a less talented roster than ever before, and a 20-28 record.

The above is the very definition of incompetence. Someone who very clearly needs to be fired.

In the last 12 months, 4 Jets players have a total of 6 arrests between them.  That is the most in the NFL:

Robby Anderson (2x)

Dylan Donahue (2x)

Rashard Robinson 

Lorenzo Mauldin (Charges dropped)

By most accounts, it sounds like the tone of the locker room has improved; but l, and I think he has had a good off-season, but lets not pretend that Macc is only bringing in choir boys. 

7 minutes ago, Jetscreen said:

2018 is going to be a third straight 5-11 season and you want to stroke the idiot? You are what your record says you are. Wins/Losses are the only results that matter. 4 straight years without playoffs, a less talented roster than ever before, and a 20-28 record.

The above is the very definition of incompetence. Someone who very clearly needs to be fired.

Weird. No one has been more critical of Macc than myself. Now all of the sudden I'm "stroking him" because I'm objectively pointing out that he's upgrading the character and leadership on this team? It doesn't change my criticisms, for which there many, and it doesn't change his track record which sucks, but I like that we're getting rid of the high priced dead weight. And I like that we're replacing them with guys who are humble and want to work hard. And couple that with finally grabbing a franchise QB, things are looking up. Sorry if this positivity upsets you so much. 

The Expert way he bought a crocodile and the crocodile spent three years devouring everyone in the mail room and then he had animal control come and finally remove the alligator. Good job solving that alligator problem, Big Maccc

I just love how fans always side with the disgusting billionaire owners on how players should bend over for the good of the team, but once they can’t help the team it’s ok for the owners to throw them away like trash.

The above is mostly in regard to the “Mevis” situation.  I get it we are fans, and want the players to do what’s best for our teams we root for, but the NFL IS a business, and you can’t applaud the biggest scumbags IE the owners for making smart football/business decisions by cutting a player when he is washed up , and then crucify the players for playing the business side when they have the leverage.

3 hours ago, Pointdexter said:

I think that whatever the opportunity the Jets have for me is going to be more than enough for me,'' Shepherd said. ''If they need help in a certain area, then I would certainly feel honored that they would come and look to me for that.''

Fast forward 3 years from now Shepherd is an All Pro making 3rd round money still on his rookie contract, and the Jets are not negotiating an extension with him you think that’s gonna be his mindset?  Dude will be under appreciated, and his attitude will reflect this.  Then when the Jets franchise him after year 4 you won’t see him on the practice field until September like Lev Bell, and how could you blame Bell, he is one wrong play from losing 50 million why chance that happening during a training camp practice when the Steelers plan on having you toke the rock 400+ times combined during the season, but won’t insure you any future compensation.

Just go look at Dan Snyder, and tell me that the players are the trash in all this, yes some of the players are the trash, but the owners are not clean, and some are more dirty then most players.

Guys, one thing to consider is lets judge all moves by Mac starting from Chris Johnson taking over ownership duties. Why, cause owners like our buddy across the pond made the decisions like Tebow, Fitz(who he pushed to bring back), Revis 2.0, etc. We all on this board have one thing in common, and that is when your boss says to do multiple things, no matter how far fetched, we either do it or are either forced to find another job or are fired. Therefore, Mac having the same trait there as we do had no choice with Woody on the large moves. Under Chris lets see what occurs. Mac made a good trade of Richardson, signed the top FA CB, and traded up and drafted Darnold, let Mo go and pulled the Suh offer, etc. as big moves under Chris Johnson. Lets judge those and other big moves like that moving forward and see if there is a difference. Regardless of outcomes they all seem to make more sense. Since Chris is no nonsense and doesn't expect flashy moves to get back page coverage like Woody, you see better decision making with those under him since as they say "it starts from the top". Some could say we didn't see moves like signing Mo would have the outcome they did, but anyone thinking Tebow, Revis 2.0, Fitz 2.0, were good moves from the getgo are not realizing those were moves doomed from the start.

3 hours ago, j4jets said:

This. His attitude was really good when he was in his first contract. But even then, I kept saying he’s shown many signs of taking plays off. I kept getting called out every time I brought it up. His play went from great when he tried, to okay when he tried. Took way too many plays off and bybthat, I mean more than 50% of the plays, he would just stand around trying to give the impression of ‘trying’. Glad that sob is gone. 

As for the OP, plenty of the knucklehead moves you mention are directly made by Mac himself. So no, there’s no credit to be given here. All he’s done is cleaned out his own mess to some extent. We know there’s at least one prima Donna on our team (Robby). Outside of that, I don’t think we have a guy that can hold the team hostage like Fitz did. Maybe Leo when it’s his time in 2 years, but even his play has regressed last couple of years. 

Mid like to see some stars in the making on this team to give Mac any credit for his very high drafting. You can’t miss on drafting in the top 6. This players should be all-pro level for them to be successful picks. We’ll find out soon I guess. 

He got benched for being late in 2015.  Then he broke his leg.  Then the Jets gave him a huge contract.  Can't plan for that!

Wilkerson's tardiness dates back to 2015. The Jets benched him a quarter for a game against the Giants after he showed up late to meetings. It happened again one year later, when aside from showing up late to multiple meetings, Wilkerson missed a team walkthrough. The Jets benched him for a quarter against the Dolphins. And now, the same thing has happened again.

8 minutes ago, UnknownJetFan said:

Guys, one thing to consider is lets judge all moves by Mac starting from Chris Johnson taking over ownership duties. Why, cause owners like our buddy across the pond made the decisions like Tebow, Fitz(who he pushed to bring back), Revis 2.0, etc. We all on this board have one thing in common, and that is when your boss says to do multiple things, no matter how far fetched, we either do it or are either forced to find another job or are fired. Therefore, Mac having the same trait there as we do had no choice with Woody on the large moves. Under Chris lets see what occurs. Mac made a good trade of Richardson, signed the top FA CB, and traded up and drafted Darnold, let Mo go and pulled the Suh offer, etc. as big moves under Chris Johnson. Lets judge those and other big moves like that moving forward and see if there is a difference. Regardless of outcomes they all seem to make more sense. Since Chris is no nonsense and doesn't expect flashy moves to get back page coverage like Woody, you see better decision making with those under him since as they say "it starts from the top". Some could say we didn't see moves like signing Mo would have the outcome they did, but anyone thinking Tebow, Revis 2.0, Fitz 2.0, were good moves from the getgo are not realizing those were moves doomed from the start.

Woody Johnson announced that Fitzpatrick was going to be the starting QB for 2016 before he signed a contract?  Funny, I don't remember that.

10 minutes ago, UnknownJetFan said:

I've long suspected that Woody has been the root for some of Mac's worst moves.  (As well as past GMs and HCs).  I agree that Tebow was a 100% Woody Johnson call and not Tannenbaum's.  Even Tannenbaum couldn't have been that stupid.  I am also convinced that it was Woody who insisted on bringing Revis back for that absurd contract after his stint with the Cheaters in Foxboro.  I have a feeling that every Jets executive has had to pay the price for Woody's meddling and incredibly bad decisions.  No wonder why Woody can never find anyone with experience to take the Jets GM or HC jobs.  No one but a rookie at the job would ever agree to work for that doofus unless it was his only chance to get the foot in the door.

Sad part is that we will never know.  I doubt that Tanny or Mac would ever reveal just where the blame actually lies for most of the head-scratching decisions during Woody's ownership period.  

Mac has been here for 4 drafts, and he, like most GMs have made some mistakes. The biggest one, in my mind, was the total reach for Hack. Not only was this a mistake, but it was in violation of his BPA policy - he fell in love with a player and total reached to avoid someone else grabbing him.

Not thrilled with some other FA and drafts, like Lee. But, most of his mistakes are typical hide-sight 20/20.

His other crime: He hasn't rebuilt the OL. Remember that while the team he inherited had very little talent, the OL was one area (the other being DL) that had some talent, but it was old. The heart of the OL, Brick and Mangold both retired leaving the OL in shambles.

Take a look at the 90 man roster. How many of the players were on the team when Mac took it over? Besides Quincy and a few others, Mac has completely replaced the team. Older vets (some he inherited and some he brought in to plug holes) are gone. Many of the wasted picks from the Idzik era and before are long gone. How many of the players the Mac inherited are still playing football.

While I see the shortcomings with some of his moves, it is hard to be critical of not rebuilding the OL when he has had to rebuild the entire team. Now finally, after a decade, we have hope. Sam is the best thing to happen to this franchise in a long, long, time. I don't care how whether we win 2 games or 10; I don't care when Darnold starts (I do hope to see him this year), I am now giddy about the future. Mac has bought himself a franchise QB and a chance to build the team for another 2 years or so.

This summer, plug some more holes. Next year, OT or Pass rusher will be top priorities. Until then, I am looking forward to hearing more and more about the Jets' future QB.

The Darnold move is a great one and could transform the franchise.  It will require some creativity and aggressiveness, because to get Darnold we gave up three 2nd round draft picks.  

But the great Darnold move should not wipe away what I think is an overall poor drafting program and some knuckleheaded contracts.  So I am going to be fair...

From my perspective, Mac and the Jets and their Fans are even.  He messed up, a lot, to get this point, and he gave up 3 second round picks to get a player he should have been able to pick regular way if they did not sign players like ASJ, Ealy and to some extent McCown.  But we are even.  Whether Mac can keep his job should depend on whether he can build a team around Darnold, and Bowles’ job depends on the Defense and his ability to attract and retain good offensive coaches.  What is past is past, but the leash is short. 

They need to build a great NFL team, relatively quickly.  If they keep blowing picks and contracts, they should go.  This is not actually that hard.  

45 minutes ago, Dcat said:

I've long suspected that Woody has been the root for some of Mac's worst moves.  (As well as past GMs and HCs).  I agree that Tebow was a 100% Woody Johnson call and not Tannenbaum's.  Even Tannenbaum couldn't have been that stupid.  I am also convinced that it was Woody who insisted on bringing Revis back for that absurd contract after his stint with the Cheaters in Foxboro.  I have a feeling that every Jets executive has had to pay the price for Woody's meddling and incredibly bad decisions.  No wonder why Woody can never find anyone with experience to take the Jets GM or HC jobs.  No one but a rookie at the job would ever agree to work for that doofus unless it was his only chance to get the foot in the door.

Sad part is that we will never know.  I doubt that Tanny or Mac would ever reveal just where the blame actually lies for most of the head-scratching decisions during Woody's ownership period.  

I'm not a Woody fan but he doesn't belong in the Dan Snyder, Jerry Jones category.

Hey, if it was my toy I'd want to play with it too.

4 hours ago, bealeb319 said:

You were not alone in the wilk fan club idk what happened to him but after his injury it was like he was a different person. I hope he is able to turn his career around and become a good player again

Sent from my [device_name] using http://JetNation.com mobile app

wilky was too busy looking for an excuse as opposed to putting in the good hard work.

20 minutes ago, varjet said:

The Darnold move is a great one and could transform the franchise.  It will require some creativity and aggressiveness, because to get Darnold we gave up three 2nd round draft picks.  

But the great Darnold move should not wipe away what I think is an overall poor drafting program and some knuckleheaded contracts.  So I am going to be fair...

From my perspective, Mac and the Jets and their Fans are even.  He messed up, a lot, to get this point, and he gave up 3 second round picks to get a player he should have been able to pick regular way if they did not sign players like ASJ, Ealy and to some extent McCown.  But we are even.  Whether Mac can keep his job should depend on whether he can build a team around Darnold, and Bowles’ job depends on the Defense and his ability to attract and retain good offensive coaches.  What is past is past, but the leash is short. 

They need to build a great NFL team, relatively quickly.  If they keep blowing picks and contracts, they should go.  This is not actually that hard.  

mac has made some errors but maybe he's learned from them.  the thing we need to fear is if the jets become mired in the 8-8 middle round draft syndrome.  i for one don't want them to go 4-12 and then say how great it was because they pick top 10 but going 12-4 could be just as bad.  they are lucky because they will have a ton of cap space next season and that should dampen the sting of the 3 number 2 picks.

2 minutes ago, rangerous said:

mac has made some errors but maybe he's learned from them.  the thing we need to fear is if the jets become mired in the 8-8 middle round draft syndrome.  i for one don't want them to go 4-12 and then say how great it was because they pick top 10 but going 12-4 could be just as bad.  they are lucky because they will have a ton of cap space next season and that should dampen the sting of the 3 number 2 picks.

I must be misunderstanding something, because how is going 12-4 bad?

Just now, Lith said:

I must be misunderstanding something, because how is going 12-4 bad?

it would may for a really interesting season but it's bad because the team may not be mature enough to make serious noise in the playoffs and then will have the 24th pick to boot.  we have seen this scenario play out many times with teams having great seasons but being mature enough to back it up the next.  don't get me wrong, i want this team to do well but peaking too early isn't always as good either.

9 minutes ago, rangerous said:

it would may for a really interesting season but it's bad because the team may not be mature enough to make serious noise in the playoffs and then will have the 24th pick to boot.  we have seen this scenario play out many times with teams having great seasons but being mature enough to back it up the next.  don't get me wrong, i want this team to do well but peaking too early isn't always as good either.

The Jets have never won more than 12 games in a regular season.  They have gone 12-4 once.  Ever.  If they can do it in Darnold's rookie year, I will take it and take my chances in 2019.

7 minutes ago, #27TheDominator said:

The Jets have never won more than 12 games in a regular season.  They have gone 12-4 once.  Ever.  If they can do it in Darnold's rookie year, I will take it and take my chances in 2019.

All this Parcells love from you is amazing to see, Dom. 

3 minutes ago, T0mShane said:

All this Parcells love from you is amazing to see, Dom. 

:) I was more impressed winning 11 with a QB that couldn't break 10 points in 4 of the 5 losses. OTOH, if Cap'n Tuna went on quite a tear once he switched to Testicles.  If only he could have figured out that Glenn Foley was not an NFL starter after a full season and two full camps he might not have wasted the first three weeks.  Of course, he probably still thinks Rick Mirer can win games. 

3 hours ago, Jetscreen said:

Did you watch the Phllly 76ers the past few years?

54 minutes ago, rangerous said:

If they can manage to go 12-4, that means they likely will have seen a ton of development from the young guys on the roster as well as solid performance from Darnold.  I will take that and a pick in the 20s any day.

3 minutes ago, Lith said:

If they can manage to go 12-4, that means they likely will have seen a ton of development from the young guys on the roster as well as solid performance from Darnold.  I will take that and a pick in the 20s any day.

I can see the headlines now: Jets go 12-4 and are 1-and done in the playoffs, fire Mac banners are everywhere :-)

Archived