So I've been tough on Macc, but he deserves credit for this...

Pointdexter

Getting Woody out of the picture will prove to be a huge change in the culture of this organization. Revis redux was 100% Woody. Fitz redux was 100% Bowles exclaiming that Fitz is the starter for 2016 when he wasn't even under contract. I'm going to give Bowles a pass because you just can not win diddly in this league without a competent QB & although Fitz was nothing more than a backup QB, the Jets had nothing in the QB pipeline & Bowles was trying to keep his job.

Maccs moves actually almost got them in the playoffs in 2015, not an easy accomplishment when you play in a division with the New England Patriots. He also should get kudos for his contracts not holding the team hostage. After their disasterous 2016 he cleaned house & for the 1st time as a fan I'm witnessing a true rebuild of the roster by going with youngsters & not signing older glue horse types. 

In 2 years we've rebuilt our secondary, Johnson-Adams-Maye-Clairborne, rebuilt the LB core Jenkins-Lee-Williamson-Minter, rebuilt the Dline, Anderson, Shepard, Fatukasi, signed 2 centers, Long & Swanson, brought in Crowell for Forte, drafted Parry Nickerson to hopefully unseat Buster Skrine, signed Terrell Pryor who had a tremendous 2016 & played with a bad foot last year and Enunwa will be back, plus we'll have a bunch of guys returning from injury, fighting their azzes off to make the team in Mauldin, Donahue, Brooks, Clark, Leggett, Middleton, Smith, Lemonier. Plus we have Derrick Jones & Rashard Robinson who we don't know a lot about yet.

Of course the biggest addition in this 2nd year of the rebuild is the addition of Sam Darnold. So, the 2nd year into this rebuild, Macc traded Richardson for a 2nd rounder that ended up being a crucial component in the trade with the Colts, and he did it without trading our 2019 first rounder. If Sam turns out to be the franchise QB we've all been waiting for than Maccs job gets that much easier in free agency 2019. Free agents won't look as the N Y Jets as just a cash in, but a place with a bright future & a chance at always being in the hunt for a championship. If that happens, Macc will be looked upon as the best GM this organization has ever had.

1 minute ago, bostonmajet said:

I can see the headlines now: Jets go 12-4 and are 1-and done in the playoffs, fire Mac banners are everywhere :-)

Here is another option for a headline.  "Jets set new low by earning the 32nd pick in the Draft"

6 hours ago, bealeb319 said:

You were not alone in the wilk fan club idk what happened to him but after his injury it was like he was a different person. I hope he is able to turn his career around and become a good player again

Sent from my [device_name] using http://JetNation.com mobile app

He was coming off an injury which def would have limited him at least for a good part of the upcoming season yet he still held out for top dollar.  I was dead set against his re-up for that reason alone.

Just to respond to the Woody didn't name Fitz the starter before he was signed, that wasn't Mac's decision and I am sure he cringed when he heard it. I was just stating that most large moves made since Woody bought the team were pushed by him more than the GMs. Maybe  that's why Parcell's couldn't get out of here quick enough once Woody bought the team.

It would be one thing to claim Mac's doing a wonderful job of you were making the case that two drafts in a row he's selected players that will have an immediate impact? But even that cannot be claimed. The players he just drafted will NOT help the Jets win games in 2018. I'm not even talking about Darnold. We knew any QB he took would need to sit. But he's still playing catch up with the DL? He thinks a 3rd and 6th rounder going to make it so the Jets can defend the run like they did last season? That's ludicrous. The defensive front 7 is going to get exploited by RB's all season. This defense will yield on average well over 100 yards per game.

It's obvious to me that Mac has no sense of urgency. He doesn't care about drafting players that are ready to play. He has no timeline. If the Jets are rebuilding for the 10 years Mac won't give a sh*t because Chris still likes the moron.

what you need to ask yourself is when Woody was canning Rex and Idzik, how long did you honestly it would take the New front office to build a winner? Can you honestly say you're happy with 3 straight 5-11 seasons? Do you honestly think the gold standard for HC's Bill Parcells would sit idly bye and allow 3 straight 5-11 seasons to happen? There's no f*cking way Parcells would allow this sh*t to happen. If it did on his watch, he would've fired himself after 2017.

6 hours ago, Pointdexter said:

Lol, really thought this would be a thread we could all agree on. While I understand Macc has made mistakes, the bigger picture here is he is successfully changing the culture, a poor one that extends back from well before he got here. One that we haven't seen since the Parcells/Mangini days where guys police themselves and the leaders of the team are dudes you can count on.

As long as Mac keeps Hackenberg here, it shows his ineptitude.

7 hours ago, UnknownJetFan said:

Guys, one thing to consider is lets judge all moves by Mac starting from Chris Johnson taking over ownership duties. Why, cause owners like our buddy across the pond made the decisions like Tebow, Fitz(who he pushed to bring back), Revis 2.0, etc. We all on this board have one thing in common, and that is when your boss says to do multiple things, no matter how far fetched, we either do it or are either forced to find another job or are fired. Therefore, Mac having the same trait there as we do had no choice with Woody on the large moves. Under Chris lets see what occurs. Mac made a good trade of Richardson, signed the top FA CB, and traded up and drafted Darnold, let Mo go and pulled the Suh offer, etc. as big moves under Chris Johnson. Lets judge those and other big moves like that moving forward and see if there is a difference. Regardless of outcomes they all seem to make more sense. Since Chris is no nonsense and doesn't expect flashy moves to get back page coverage like Woody, you see better decision making with those under him since as they say "it starts from the top". Some could say we didn't see moves like signing Mo would have the outcome they did, but anyone thinking Tebow, Revis 2.0, Fitz 2.0, were good moves from the getgo are not realizing those were moves doomed from the start.

Well I guess the ownership also asked him to sign/extend Mo, Cro, and draft Hack attack. And if Fitz was truly a Woody move, I highly doubt Mac would’ve waited an eternity to sign him. So no, I would rather judge Mac from day one, including the responsibility of a good HC, cuz it’s not like he wasn’t aware of who the HC was when he willfully accepted the job. 

9 hours ago, bigalbarracuda said:

Counterpoint:

- Excellent 1st year, gave up nothing to get him

- Excellent 1st, year, gave up nothing to get him

- Clear best defensive player on the team at the time, homegrown, contract ext. didn't hurt long term cap

- Clear need at CB at the time, contract didn't hurt long term cap

- UDFA find, makes nothing

Isn't a player becoming a malcontent more on the lack of locker room leaderhip/coaching? Every single one of the above deals made clear sense at the time.

BM: malcontent and locker room cancer. Good first year but it came with a price tag

Fitz: beneficiary of the weekend schedule in over a decade. Still missed the playoffs with some top WRs. 

Mo: lol he hurt the Jets long term by sitting his ass down like lazy mother f***** that just ate 10 Big Macs. Locker room room cancer, tardy issues, lazy af on the field , not deserving of a contract. 

Mevis: don’t care what our needs were. If you signed a guy to mega bucks, you’re responsible for the move. 

Anderson: cheap, yes, but let’s not pretend like Mac has cleaned the house then, like the OP suggests. 

5 hours ago, Jetster said:

Getting Woody out of the picture will prove to be a huge change in the culture of this organization. Revis redux was 100% Woody. Fitz redux was 100% Bowles exclaiming that Fitz is the starter for 2016 when he wasn't even under contract. I'm going to give Bowles a pass because you just can not win diddly in this league without a competent QB & although Fitz was nothing more than a backup QB, the Jets had nothing in the QB pipeline & Bowles was trying to keep his job.

Maccs moves actually almost got them in the playoffs in 2015, not an easy accomplishment when you play in a division with the New England Patriots. He also should get kudos for his contracts not holding the team hostage. After their disasterous 2016 he cleaned house & for the 1st time as a fan I'm witnessing a true rebuild of the roster by going with youngsters & not signing older glue horse types. 

In 2 years we've rebuilt our secondary, Johnson-Adams-Maye-Clairborne, rebuilt the LB core Jenkins-Lee-Williamson-Minter, rebuilt the Dline, Anderson, Shepard, Fatukasi, signed 2 centers, Long & Swanson, brought in Crowell for Forte, drafted Parry Nickerson to hopefully unseat Buster Skrine, signed Terrell Pryor who had a tremendous 2016 & played with a bad foot last year and Enunwa will be back, plus we'll have a bunch of guys returning from injury, fighting their azzes off to make the team in Mauldin, Donahue, Brooks, Clark, Leggett, Middleton, Smith, Lemonier. Plus we have Derrick Jones & Rashard Robinson who we don't know a lot about yet.

Of course the biggest addition in this 2nd year of the rebuild is the addition of Sam Darnold. So, the 2nd year into this rebuild, Macc traded Richardson for a 2nd rounder that ended up being a crucial component in the trade with the Colts, and he did it without trading our 2019 first rounder. If Sam turns out to be the franchise QB we've all been waiting for than Maccs job gets that much easier in free agency 2019. Free agents won't look as the N Y Jets as just a cash in, but a place with a bright future & a chance at always being in the hunt for a championship. If that happens, Macc will be looked upon as the best GM this organization has ever had.

Oline terribly neglected. Let’s hope Darnold survives.

He deserves zero credit for anything other then trading up this year, which was a good move and even that was luck, the reason the second rounders didn't bother me is cause he's continued the long Jets tradition of making them worthless anyway. Fun fact is wasting seconds is really why we suck, those guys need to be the meat in the middle of the sandwich and we just get the sand. Every draft he's had an obvious pick fall in his lap, then suck after the first round. Consider what he's getting paid for a job and the fact anyone reading this I think would at least match him outside the trade. I credit him for the move. I'm also not valuing the second round picks as they should be, so it's a circle of sadness. Sam being a franchise QB is my only out

3 hours ago, Fantasy Island said:

As long as Mac keeps Hackenberg here, it shows his ineptitude.

Ineptitude or maybe arrogance? Fear of embarrassment? I'm really not sure what the hell it is. Either way his insistence on holding on to that bum can only remind you of Tannenbaum.

9 hours ago, T0mShane said:

The Expert way he bought a crocodile and the crocodile spent three years devouring everyone in the mail room and then he had animal control come and finally remove the alligator. Good job solving that alligator problem, Big Maccc

On a side note...it’s shear brilliance how he got the crocodile to transform into an alligator!!! So there’s that.

I'm not a Mac fan by any means. But he does deserve credit for some solid moves:

- Signing Robbie Anderson, Clairborne, Mclendon & Kony Ealy

- Trading for Kearse & Demario

- Trading up for Darnold

Sure, I'd like to see Mac pay more attention to the O-line (sooner than later), but I think he's shown enough to have our trust.

10 hours ago, Pointdexter said:

Weird. No one has been more critical of Macc than myself. Now all of the sudden I'm "stroking him" because I'm objectively pointing out that he's upgrading the character and leadership on this team? It doesn't change my criticisms, for which there many, and it doesn't change his track record which sucks, but I like that we're getting rid of the high priced dead weight. And I like that we're replacing them with guys who are humble and want to work hard. And couple that with finally grabbing a franchise QB, things are looking up. Sorry if this positivity upsets you so much. 

No point Pointdexter.  Either you are stroking Mac, or he should have been fired three years ago.

There is no objectivity when it comes to Jets fans.

Archived