Jets Sign Pair of UDFA Linebackers

JetNation

Luvu.jpg

Dennis Waszak of the Associated Press is reporting that the Jets have signed a pair of undrafted free agent linebackers in Washington state product Frankie Luvu and Anthony Wint of Florida International University.

Of the two, Luvu is the more intriguing product as he racked up 6.5 sacks over 13 games during his final collegiate season.

To make room for the pair, the Jets waived cornerback Reggie Hall and defensive lineman Lord Hyeamang.

The post Jets Sign Pair of UDFA Linebackers appeared first on NY Jets News.

Jetnationcom?d=yIl2AUoC8zA Jetnationcom?d=qj6IDK7rITs
IaXD4d2Gl-E

Click here to read the full story...

1 hour ago, UnknownJetFan said:

Finally, we see we have Luvu. Hoping he is the pass rush demon we need. Then we'll call him Frankie Lava.

I do to but please remember there was a reason he went undrafted.

1 hour ago, New York Mick said:

I can’t wait to see him in preseason. 

Hate highlights cause everyone looks good. I got no reason not to be somewhat optimistic though after watching this. The kid shows some burst on tape, no down side to this. I hate our current LBers

1 hour ago, 32EBoozer said:

Well if the internet’s says it, then we better cut him???

1 hour ago, New York Mick said:

His combine times weren’t anything to write home about but he makes plays. 

Not trying to be negative, and nobody wants an edge rusher more than me and I get how desperate the fan base is for one. I feel it's our #1 need, even more than OL.

Personally I am just so tired of these try hard guys with limited athleticism for the edge. Recently with Mauldin, Jenkins, Donahue. 

Is it so hard to find an athlete. An edge with some explosive traits. Don't care if they are undersized, don't care if they aren't developed, don't care if they can't set the edge. Players like Leo and our new draft pick would benefit so much when a QB has to step up into the pocket because we have a situational edge rusher who can burn the edge.

I am probably being dramatic but edge rusher seems to be the most important position on Defense and we can't find one situational pass rusher who has some explosive athletic traits?

13 minutes ago, RESNewYork said:

Not trying to be negative, and nobody wants an edge rusher more than me and I get how desperate the fan base is for one. I feel it's our #1 need, even more than OL.

Personally I am just so tired of these try hard guys with limited athleticism for the edge. Recently with Mauldin, Jenkins, Donahue. 

Is it so hard to find an athlete. An edge with some explosive traits. Don't care if they are undersized, don't care if they aren't developed, don't care if they can't set the edge. Players like Leo and our new draft pick would benefit so much when a QB has to step up into the pocket because we have a situational edge rusher who can burn the edge.

I am probably being dramatic but edge rusher seems to be the most important position on Defense and we can't find one situational pass rusher who has some explosive athletic traits?

Gholston was really athletic. 

11 hours ago, RESNewYork said:

I think the problem here is Maccagnan's drafting philosophy. Outside of when he's drafting the QB position, he seems to be 100% about the BAP. IMHO, he should treat edge rusher the same way he treats QBs, as I see it as the second most important position on the field, but he doesn't. Edge rushers, like QBs, come off the board early, and I don't think he sees the value in reaching for the ones left compared to the DT or RB or TE that he feels dropped. 

It's gonna take a change in Mac's priorities for the team to land a high-end pass rusher or two, and I, unfortunately, don't see it happening. 

Jets Add Linebackers Luvu and Wint

Posted 17 hours ago

IMG_6717-greenberg-thumb.jpgEthan GreenbergNYJets.com Contributor

•  
  •  

Green & White Also Released CB Hall, DT Hyeamang

AP_17260302040257-luvu-top.jpg

The Jets have signed linebackers Frankie Luvu and Anthony Wint. 

Born in American Samoa, Luvu played in 46 games (22 starts) over four years for Washington State and recorded 110 tackles, 19 for loss, eight sacks, two interceptions and two forced fumbles. The 6’3”, 235-pounder played his senior year at rush linebacker and tallied 48 tackles, 12 for loss and 6.5 sacks, earning an All-Pac-12 honorable mention.

Wint totaled 336 tackles, 20.5 for loss, six pass defenses and three forced fumbles in 45 games for Florida International. He started in nine games as a freshman and was an All-Conference USA honorable mention in 2014. The 6’0”, 224-pounder earned second-team All-Conference USA honors in each of his next two seasons and ranks sixth in school history with 108 tackles in a single season (2016). Wint was a tryout player in this weekend’s rookie minicamp.

The Green & White also waived cornerback Reggie Hallicon-article-link.gif and defensive tackle Lord Hyeamangicon-article-link.gif, who both signed with the team following this year’s draft. 

Hall played in 37 games for Jacksonville State and earned All-OVC honors as a junior in 2016. Hyeamang, a Columbia product, totaled 76 tackles, 14 for loss, 4.5 sacks and two forced fumbles in 39 career games (20 starts) for the Lions.

7 minutes ago, slats said:

I think the problem here is Maccagnan's drafting philosophy. Outside of when he's drafting the QB position, he seems to be 100% about the BAP. IMHO, he should treat edge rusher the same way he treats QBs, as I see it as the second most important position on the field, but he doesn't. Edge rushers, like QBs, come off the board early, and I don't think he sees the value in reaching for the ones left compared to the DT or RB or TE that he feels dropped. 

It's gonna take a change in Mac's priorities for the team to land a high-end pass rusher or two, and I, unfortunately, don't see it happening. 

I agree with this. Gotta draft the edge like you draft the QB spot. Good post. 

4 hours ago, New York Mick said:

The only knock I’ve seen are his measurables. Slow 40 under 235lbs. 

29" vertical.  Ouch. Wint is physically much better and was getting talked up as having a real chance to make the team.

34 minutes ago, Stonehands said:

There is an NCAA rule that does not allow these guys to participate in professional camps until their classes are over.  I wonder if his school is on trimesters and he was unable to compete this past weekend.  Just a guess.

That was what I was thinking too, but I couldn't find anything on it.  Made sense not to sign him if he wasn't going to participate because they had to cut guys to add them.  

1 minute ago, #27TheDominator said:

29" vertical.  Ouch. Wint is physically much better and was getting talked up as having a real chance to make the team.

That was what I was thinking too, but I couldn't find anything on it.  Made sense not to sign him if he wasn't going to participate because they had to cut guys to add them.  

6' 224# is real small for a LB'er

7 minutes ago, flgreen said:

The 6’0”, 224-pounder...

Wow, Wint is small. Probably more of a special teams candidate than anything else, but who knows? Something impressed them. 

Archived