Report: Cleveland Was the Only Team Drafting in the Top 5 with Baker Mayfield Ahead of Sam Darnold

NYJets8

The NFL Draft is slightly over a week old, and the Browns have spent much of that time trying to convince their fans, and the general public, that Baker Mayfield was their guy all along. As you can expect, this has been a tough sell, given the fact that Mayfield is a 6-foot QB and the track record of players that small going in the Top 10 to the most important position in sports is not very good.

According to MMQB’s Albert Breer, the Browns were the only team drafting in the Top 5 that had the Oklahoma QB ahead of USC star Sam Darnold, who fell 3rd to the Jets. Breer said this so on my Fox Sports Radio show Saturday morning (31:45 mark):

Look, I can tell you this point blank – the Browns were the only team drafting in the top 5 that didn’t have Sam [Darnold] as their #1 QB.

The Browns front office can try to do as much damage control as possible, but nobody’s buying it. Things are going to get real interesting in Cleveland when Tyrod Taylor wins the starting QB job, and then has the Browns in contention for a playoff spot in November … and their #1 pick is pinned to the bench.

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, NYJets8 said:

The NFL Draft is slightly over a week old, and the Browns have spent much of that time trying to convince their fans, and the general public, that Baker Mayfield was their guy all along. As you can expect, this has been a tough sell, given the fact that Mayfield is a 6-foot QB and the track record of players that small going in the Top 10 to the most important position in sports is not very good.

According to MMQB’s Albert Breer, the Browns were the only team drafting in the Top 5 that had the Oklahoma QB ahead of USC star Sam Darnold, who fell 3rd to the Jets. Breer said this so on my Fox Sports Radio show Saturday morning (31:45 mark):

Look, I can tell you this point blank – the Browns were the only team drafting in the top 5 that didn’t have Sam [Darnold] as their #1 QB.

The Browns front office can try to do as much damage control as possible, but nobody’s buying it. Things are going to get real interesting in Cleveland when Tyrod Taylor wins the starting QB job, and then has the Browns in contention for a playoff spot in November … and their #1 pick is pinned to the bench.

He might be pinned to the side of a squad car instead.

Cleveland gave the Jets a huge gift.  We not only get the best QB prospect in the Draft, but we get him without the pressure of being the #1 overall pick and without the pressure of even being the first QB taken in the Draft.  Guys like Darnold and Rosen ended up in the best situations in my opinion.  Rosen goes to a .500 team and plays with RB David Johnson and WR Larry Fitzgerald.

5 minutes ago, Nixhead said:

How do you know the Jets didn't have Mayfield #1?

Did you not see how they reacted to Sam being available at #3 or how they thought he wasn’t even going to make it to them prior to the draft, so they didn’t even bother to bring him in for a work out until a last minute notice?

Sam headlined their QB chart and it was very easy to tell. 

It probably went...

Darnold

Mayfield

Rosen

Allen

Jackson

Our board is more obvious because of the context clues leading up to the pick and then it all kind of made sense after the pick was made.

I was getting all of that right until the very end... Browns in contention for a playoff spot?  As in, the 0-16 / 1-31 Browns?  That's funny.

You have to keep going back to week 12 of Pettine's first year coaching the Browns (2014, for those wondering) until you finally hit as many wins from the Browns as our miserable team was able to scrounge up just last year.  That's right, you're going back 54 games before you finally hit their 5th win.  They aren't contending for a damn thing.  Their roster is inexplicably massively overrated, and Jackson's level of failure manages to trump that of friggin' Kotite.

34 minutes ago, Nixhead said:

Because it seems to be leaking.  Ian Rapoport said Darnold was the Jets top-ranked QB.  He also said the Jets were targeting Mayfield at #3 because they knew there was no way Darnold would be there at #3.....until he was. :D 

2 minutes ago, UntouchableCrew said:

It's not exactly a bold take. All they're saying is the Jets, Broncos, and Giants all had Darnold #1. Not exactly hard to believe.

What is still hard to believe, at least to me, is that the Browns had Mayfield #1 and took him 1st overall.

1 hour ago, Nixhead said:

Jets didn’t even invite him until like a week before the draft thinking all along he’d be gone by #3, why waste time. But they finally did their due diligence. It tells you Jets were overconfident Darnold would go first or at least 2nd. Overall. If they had him ranked as the #2 QB, they would’ve invited him knowing very well they would be taking the 2nd QB in the draft. Only makes sense. 

1 hour ago, Patriot Killa said:

Did you not see how they reacted to Sam being available at #3 or how they thought he wasn’t even going to make it to them prior to the draft, so they didn’t even bother to bring him in for a work out until a last minute notice?

It probably went...

Darnold

Mayfield

Rosen

Allen

Jackson

Our board is more obvious because of the context clues leading up to the pick and then it all kind of made sense after the pick was made.

I bet Mac told people close to him mayfield was his #1 all the way just say he could look good that he traded up to get his #1 qb. But yes presented with the situation of darnold or mayfield he would pick darnold easy. Maybe had he been worried about putting a qb on the field right away to buckle to fan pressure or if we had a win now team, we pick Rosen or mayfield. But darnold is the guy for anybody who is willing to be patient.

How many years are we going to continue postponing due diligence, (or flat out tell our eventual picks they arent going to be there when we select, and ask them what they’re doing in our bldg?) 

Big deal with top-6 picks, but as our team climbs out of the gutter we need to start (smartly) evaluating the blue chip prospects and quit relying on this ability to pull starters out of D-II Canadien colleges. 

Teams get 30 “official” visits, and we’re like, nah it’s cool.

5 minutes ago, Greenseed4 said:

How many years are we going to continue postponing due diligence, (or flat out tell our eventual picks they arent going to be there when we select, and ask them what they’re doing in our bldg?) 

Big deal with top-6 picks, but as our team climbs out of the gutter we need to start (smartly) evaluating the blue chip prospects and quit relying on this ability to pull starters out of D-II Canadien colleges. 

This was literally the first time that the Jets have done this so.........

17 minutes ago, j4jets said:

Jets didn’t even invite him until like a week before the draft thinking all along he’d be gone by #3, why waste time. But they finally did their due diligence. It tells you Jets were overconfident Darnold would go first or at least 2nd. Overall. If they had him ranked as the #2 QB, they would’ve invited him knowing very well they would be taking the 2nd QB in the draft. Only makes sense. 

The only reason why jets felt darnold could be there at 3 was because browns were thinking mayfield. So even if mayfield was plan A, if browns took him Mac had to get ready for plan B. 

11 minutes ago, Patriot Killa said:

This was literally the first time that the Jets have done this so.........

I was being poetic. Macc has a pension for finding guys I’ve never heard of. I’m still waiting for one of these “gems” to pan out. 

(I’m looking at you Burris, Clarke, Donahue...)

11 minutes ago, Greenseed4 said:

I was being poetic. Macc has a pension for finding guys I’ve never heard of. I’m still waiting for one of these “gems” to pan out. 

Ok Burris i’ll give you but I think Clark was a 6th or 7th rounder right? No harm in taking flyers on those type of guys.

Burris and Donahue would be the picks that bug me a little..(though Donahue brought a large amount of that on himself by driving drunk in the wrong lane.)

For ONCE the stars aligned for the Jets - the statistical chance that Sam falls to 3 with any other teams picking ahead of us is so small.  This never happens to us!

those first 2 picks fell perfectly and unexpectedly- 

the Browns were the one of a handful of teams with Baker as the top QB. The Giants were one of the only teams that would stick with a declining 37 year old QB- thank god Saquon Barkley is so good.

we were shockingly lucky and it’s is A NEW GODDAMN DAY IN JETLAND!  We have Andrew Luck before the injuries- everything is changed now and forever!!

btw- I hope the Baker does well in Cleveland, hard not to root with the guy with how invested we got predraft

2 hours ago, Patriot Killa said:

It probably went...

Darnold

Mayfield

Rosen

Allen

Jackson

I'd say that is almost certainly what their board looked like. 

2 hours ago, Bleedin Green said:

I was getting all of that right until the very end... Browns in contention for a playoff spot?  As in, the 0-16 / 1-31 Browns?  That's funny.

You have to keep going back to week 12 of Pettine's first year coaching the Browns (2014, for those wondering) until you finally hit as many wins from the Browns as our miserable team was able to scrounge up just last year.  That's right, you're going back 54 games before you finally hit their 5th win.  They aren't contending for a damn thing.  Their roster is inexplicably massively overrated, and Jackson's level of failure manages to trump that of friggin' Kotite.

How can it be so overrated if this particular roster hasn’t even hit the field yet? I understand that in a sense my answer right then probably could sort of be an answer to the overrated comment but at the time BG...Jarvis Landry/Gordon, a 2nd year Njoku, Nick Chubb and Carlos Hyde sounds extremely dangerous and I firmly believe they win some game this year. They are just damn well STACKED about every where except OT.

There is warranted reason to believe they will be good this year. If Baker can’t meld into a group of THAT many weapons...than the Browns can finally say that they didn’t F this one up development wise.

Baker will either sink or swim...with a life jacket on.

1 hour ago, Greenseed4 said:

Jets already had a private workout with him and had been watching him all season - they were in attendance. To say they waited until the last minute is just plain false. They brought him to their facility at the end, but he was on the Jets radar for a long time.

2 hours ago, Saul Goodman said:

If bet that none of the 32 teams in the league had Mayfield above Darnold other than Cleveland. Little shrimpy troublemaker over an Adonis like Sam? Come on now

Apparently, the folks on here preferred Mayfield to Darnold as well.  Mayfield beat Darnold in that poll that was posted here  a few weeks ago.  But I think that was just Jets fans just trying to convince themselves that Mayfield is better because they never thought that Darnold was going to be the guy.

Clarke went to Michigan. 

28 minutes ago, detectivekimble said:

Apparently, the folks on here preferred Mayfield to Darnold as well.  Mayfield beat Darnold in that poll that was posted here  a few weeks ago.  But I think that was just Jets fans just trying to convince themselves that Mayfield is better because they never thought that Darnold was going to be the guy.

PFF had Mayfield as their top guy and it wasn't even close. 

I highly doubt Cleveland was the only team out of the 32. 

I think the Jets also had Mayfield #1 on their board. Some would doubt that given how elated they were that he dropped. What I think happened is that the Jets simply never expected the Giants to draft Mayfield so they were convinced he'd be there. They liked Sam and Mayfield the most. When Baker went 1st overall the Jets war room were crapping themselves because they didnt expect Cleveland and the Giants to both pass on Sam. They thought they were stuck with their 3rd option, who probably werent graded as high...which makes sense given how Allen went 7th and Rosen went 10th

I think it was a no brainer that the Jets were taking a qb, even if it was the third qb in their top 3, but it seems like Baker and Sam were much highly rsted than Rosen. They probably had Josh Allen in front of him as well. 

I don’t get the hate on this pick. Baker is gunna be a Franchise quarterback or he’s not. Just the same as Darnold. 

Plus jets could have very easily landed Baker instead of Darnold and I’d probably have the same amount of confidence in him being the answer as I have in Darnold. 

Im cautiously optimistic either way. Anything more than that is asking for too much from a Jet fan. 

9 minutes ago, Villain The Foe said:

I highly doubt Cleveland was the only team out of the other 32. 

I think the Jets also had Mayfield #1 on their board. Some would doubt that given how elated they were that he dropped. What I think happened is that the Jets simply never expected the Giants to draft Mayfield so they were convinced he'd be there. They liked Sam and Mayfield the most. When Baker went 1st overall the Jets war room were crapping themselves because they didnt expect Cleveland and the Giants to both pass in Sam. They thought they were stuck with their 3rd option.

I think it was a no brainer that the Jets were taking a qb, even if it was the third qb in their top 3, but it seems like Baker and Sam were much highly rsted than Rosen. They probably had Josh Allen in front of him as well. 

I don't.  I just think they already accepted that he was going to be their QB, which would have been fine.  But I think Darnold will be better.  

I do think they had Allen in front of Rosen, though.  Yikes.  The Browns and Giants saved the Jets from themselves.

14 minutes ago, Villain The Foe said:

I highly doubt Cleveland was the only team out of the 32. 

I think the Jets also had Mayfield #1 on their board. Some would doubt that given how elated they were that he dropped. What I think happened is that the Jets simply never expected the Giants to draft Mayfield so they were convinced he'd be there. They liked Sam and Mayfield the most. When Baker went 1st overall the Jets war room were crapping themselves because they didnt expect Cleveland and the Giants to both pass in Sam. They thought they were stuck with their 3rd option.

We know you like Mayfield, but PFF is a statistical analysis.  They aren't necessarily going to project to the NFL.  Nobody is disputing that the kid was a great college QB.  These reports are from press that should at least have an inkling who these teams wanted.  The Jets are the only one with any reason to lie.  The Giants staff actually would have reason to lie and say Darnold wasn't their top guy

Just now, detectivekimble said:

I don't.  I just think they already accepted that he was going to be their QB, which would have been fine.  But I think Darnold will be better.  

I do think they had Allen in front of Rosen, though.  Yikes.  The Browns and Giants saved the Jets from themselves.

It's cool you dont, I do believe they did though. 

I think Mayfield and Sam were their highest rated QB's with either Rosen or Allen being a distant 3rd. I think the Jets felt like Cleveland was going to take what was considered to be the "safest pick" which would have left them with Mayfield sitting right there for the taking, who were tops on their board. 

They simply got scared when the Browns didnt take Sam and thought the Giants would draft him. 

I also think the Jets had Allen rated higher than Rosen. I agree with you on that.

Archived