Jump to content

True NFL Draft Grades: 2014 Draft, Four Years Later


RESNewYork
 Share

Recommended Posts

1 minute ago, T0mShane said:

My mistake. My apologies to Chris Palmer, Terry Robiskie, Butch Davis, Romeo Crennel, and Pat Shurmur.

Right because everyone else there sucked it gives Mangini an excuse.  Maybe he simply also sucked?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

7 minutes ago, T0mShane said:

Is it seventh grade logic to correctly state that the only time Mike Tannenbaum was remotely proficient at his job was when he was working with Eric Mangini?

So if Mangini is this great talent evaluator like you say he is then why haven’t any of the 31 other nfl teams realized this?  It’s not like he hasn’t had opportunities he most recently had the TE coach and DC gigs in San Francisco (which he also sucked at)

 

Why did the 49ers pick an ex-player with no experience like John Lynch to be their GM over the once in a generation evaluator of talent Eric Mangini?

 

Edited by Philc1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

5 minutes ago, Philc1 said:

So if Mangini is this great talent evaluator like you say he is then why haven’t any of the 31 other nfl teams realized this?  It’s not like he hasn’t had opportunities he most recently had the TE coach and DC gigs in San Francisco (which he also sucked at)

 

Why did the 49ers pick an ex-player with no experience like John Lynch to be their GM over the once in a generation evaluator of talent Eric Mangini?

 

Why does a career abomination like Mike Tannenbaum have a high-ranking job in the NFL?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 minute ago, T0mShane said:

Why does a career abomination like Mike Tannenbaum have a high-ranking job in the NFL?

Because he was the one actually making all those moves you say Mangini did.  No one thinks Mangini is actually good at anything except 20% of Jets fans who theorize that he signed Woody and Faneca

Link to comment
Share on other sites

7 minutes ago, Philc1 said:

Because he was the one actually making all those moves you say Mangini did.  No one thinks Mangini is actually good at anything except 20% of Jets fans who theorize that he signed Woody and Faneca

So, Mike Tannenbaum coincidentally picked good players when Mangini was there, but lost his magic touch when Mangini wasn’t there? And now that he’s in Miami and they’ve put together what is easily the worst run of draft picks in the league over the past three seasons? That’s the guy who was “making all those moves”?

 

 

EBEF2E9E-C921-4940-A5E8-6C41BC18339A.png

2D071046-F642-4932-9F1C-CD7613A2E86A.png

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, T0mShane said:

Uh huh. Uh huh. Took over a 4-12 team that was $25 million dollars over the salary cap, cleaned house, drafted elite talent at OLT, C, and CB1, signed Damien Woody, Alan Faneca, Kris Jenkins, Calvin Pace, and Alan Faneca, and drafted a ten year starter at ILB in David Harris. Traded for Thomas Jones. Left all that in the cupboard for Rex, whose amazing coaching ability seemed to disappear once all of those guys Mangini put on the roster fell off the roster, similar to the way Herm looked worse the further he got away from Parcells’ roster. 

1

And with all that, the only time he got to the playoffs was with Herm's team. And was then promptly one & done. 

He couldn't make the playoffs with Brett Favre at QB, then Rex took allegedly the same team to the AFC Championship Game twice with Mark Sanchez at QB.

Rex > Mangini. 

  • Upvote 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

13 hours ago, T0mShane said:

Cool story. The Jets have been Super Bowl contenders twice  in the last thirty years: once with Parcells and the other with Mangini. The teams they built were so good that the core of those teams made two slack-jawed failures in Herm and Rex look respectable. 

Super Bowl contenders who failed to make the playoffs....

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Just now, T0mShane said:

I’m going to lay down my sword here because both men are exiled from the NFL, even though Rex is exiled because he’s a buffoon and Mangini because he’s a political prisoner.

 

Sorry man, but that's complete BS. 

He's out of the league because he's simply not a good football coach, either has no desire to work in a front office or isn't nearly the talent-finding savant the Fanginis think, and is an impossible prick. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

11 minutes ago, slats said:

Sorry man, but that's complete BS. 

He's out of the league because he's simply not a good football coach, either has no desire to work in a front office or isn't nearly the talent-finding savant the Fanginis think, and is an impossible prick. 

I’d imagine that he’s an impossible prick who also blew up the reigning dynasty in the league and turned Belichick into Barry Bonds. There are far too many awful, unqualified people drawing NFL paychecks right now to believe it’s simply a question of ability. Hell, Brian Schottenheimer just got another OC gig. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

7 minutes ago, T0mShane said:

I’d imagine that he’s an impossible prick who also blew up the reigning dynasty in the league and turned Belichick into Barry Bonds. There are far too many awful, unqualified people drawing NFL paychecks right now to believe it’s simply a question of ability. Hell, Brian Schottenheimer just got another OC gig. 

This is the excuse you need to reconcile your inflated opinion of Mangini with the fact that not a single NFL team would like to hire him. I get it. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

9 minutes ago, slats said:

This is the excuse you need to reconcile your inflated opinion of Mangini with the fact that not a single NFL team would like to hire him. I get it. 

The Texans and Jets just swapped personnel executives last week. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 5/9/2018 at 10:27 AM, RESNewYork said:

Looking at this list, I think their is a correlation to the state of these teams and how well they drafted 4 years prior. Does a rebuild take too long when the you start with nothing? How can any fan, even with revisionist history defend Idzik in any way.

https://www.si.com/nfl/2018/05/08/draft-grades-2014-jadeveon-clowney-johnny-manziel-blake-bortles-khalil-mack

NEW YORK JETS

Round 1 (18 overall). Calvin Pryor, FS, Louisville
2 (49). Jace Amaro, TE, Texas Tech
3 (80). Dexter McDougle, CB, Maryland
4 (104). Jalen Saunders, WR, Oklahoma
4 (115). Shaq Evans, WR, UCLA
4 (137). Dakota Dozier, T, Furman
5 (154). Jeremiah George, LB, Iowa State
6 (195). Brandon Dixon, DB, Northwest Missouri State
6 (209). Quincy Enunwa, WR, Nebraska
6 (210). IK Enemkpali, DE, Louisiana Tech
6 (213). Tajh Boyd, QB, Clemson
7 (233). Trevor Reilly, LB, Utah

If you’re a “quantity over quality” believer, feast your eyes on this: twelve picks, one starter (Quincy Enunwa, the eighth pick). And, overall, just two players (the other is Dakota Dozier). That’s right, everyone else is gone. Calvin Pryor was dealt to Cleveland for pennies on the dollar, where he lasted only a few months. Jace Amaro, a flex tight end, got hurt, did little upon return and was soon waived. (Saying he failed would wrongly imply that he did anything at all.) IK Enemkpali became famous for breaking Geno Smith’s face. That help accelerate the downfall of Smith and led to a weird, short-lived rise for Enemkpali after he was traded to Buffalo in the fallout. We’d say more here and try to make football-sense of this draft, but it’s simply too soul-crushing.

Grade: D-

All of this had to happen so that our path to Darnold would happen.  It was our destiny!!

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 5/9/2018 at 12:23 PM, jetstream23 said:

This is a big year for the 2016 guys.  Forget Hack, we all know that was a colossal mistake.  But there has been some level of contribution from every one of the other guys.  3rd year is typically make or break.  I'll be looking at Lee, Jenkins, and Shell to see if we have longterm starters and Burris to see if he can ever hope to take over at CB2.

Lee is a bust. He's going to get benched at some point this season. Jenkins is a steady contributor and is still on the rise. Good player for years to come.  Shell is an OK player that would never be benched because there's no one else behind him. All in all, the 1st round was a complete abortion.  Really that's what's most upsetting. 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

What I remembered about Lee from last season was that he was the worst ILB in the league at the start of last season (according to PFF), but picked it up in the second half. Then I looked at his stats and remembered he was suspended by Bowles for the KC game, and then, well...

 

975AC8C8-7223-4B34-9308-A3680A5F1400.png

Link to comment
Share on other sites

27 minutes ago, T0mShane said:

What I remembered about Lee from last season was that he was the worst ILB in the league at the start of last season (according to PFF), but picked it up in the second half. Then I looked at his stats and remembered he was suspended by Bowles for the KC game, and then, well...

 

975AC8C8-7223-4B34-9308-A3680A5F1400.png

And in the Pats game, blocked by a 40 year old man known to shy away from contact at all costs. 

  • Upvote 1
  • Haha 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Are we back to hearing more of this fan-fabricated nonsense that is desperate to praise Mangini for a job that wasn't his, in order to make up for his colossal failures at the job that actually was his?

If you seriously want to know how much credit Mangini deserves for the building of the Jets' roster, it's not that all difficult to figure out.  Shortly after he was gone from the Jets, the guys he was so gleeful to acquire in a trade from them (in a deal that everyone agreed was laughably in the Jets' favor) were Kenyon Coleman, Abram Elam, and Brett Ratliff.  That right there, was the result of his own evaluation of players.

That's not even to mention, this little theory is extremely dependent on dismissing the team's draft when he had been here the longest (2008) and therefore is likely to have had the greatest involvement from him, if he ever had any, which was an absolute disaster.

  • Upvote 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 5/9/2018 at 11:46 AM, Saul Goodman said:

Not a single goddamn offensive lineman. I wonder where our team would be if we had used the first 5 picks on the offensive line. Couldn’t be worse!

In fairness, 3 picks the prior year were used on the OL. Two of them were still NFL starters last year (the 3rd being a 6th round DT convert project who never panned out). Also Ferguson and Mangold were still playing at a high enough level through 2013, plus they had a dirt-cheap starter in Colon and had just inked Giacomini to a 5-year deal. 

As it panned out, Ferguson (still only 31) really began showing a noticeable decline starting in 2014 (after the draft); Winters/Aboushi took a few seasons to show either belonged on the field; Colon committed too many penalties (though he started all 32 games from 2013-2014); and Giacomini ended up being a bad signing.

At the time of the draft, what the team most needed were skill positions. We drafted them, but they just sucked. Even if you wanted to draft Brick’s replacement before he started playing badly, it’s unusual to find a starting LT past round 1, and few (if any) GMs would have taken a LT prospect in round 1 with that roster. We did show the folly of a team with more pressing other needs (like QB, a young edge rusher, and playmaking WR; all of which were there) staying pat and taking a safety in round 1. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 5/9/2018 at 10:27 AM, RESNewYork said:

Looking at this list, I think their is a correlation to the state of these teams and how well they drafted 4 years prior. Does a rebuild take too long when the you start with nothing? How can any fan, even with revisionist history defend Idzik in any way.

https://www.si.com/nfl/2018/05/08/draft-grades-2014-jadeveon-clowney-johnny-manziel-blake-bortles-khalil-mack

NEW YORK JETS

Round 1 (18 overall). Calvin Pryor, FS, Louisville
2 (49). Jace Amaro, TE, Texas Tech
3 (80). Dexter McDougle, CB, Maryland
4 (104). Jalen Saunders, WR, Oklahoma
4 (115). Shaq Evans, WR, UCLA
4 (137). Dakota Dozier, T, Furman
5 (154). Jeremiah George, LB, Iowa State
6 (195). Brandon Dixon, DB, Northwest Missouri State
6 (209). Quincy Enunwa, WR, Nebraska
6 (210). IK Enemkpali, DE, Louisiana Tech
6 (213). Tajh Boyd, QB, Clemson
7 (233). Trevor Reilly, LB, Utah

If you’re a “quantity over quality” believer, feast your eyes on this: twelve picks, one starter (Quincy Enunwa, the eighth pick). And, overall, just two players (the other is Dakota Dozier). That’s right, everyone else is gone. Calvin Pryor was dealt to Cleveland for pennies on the dollar, where he lasted only a few months. Jace Amaro, a flex tight end, got hurt, did little upon return and was soon waived. (Saying he failed would wrongly imply that he did anything at all.) IK Enemkpali became famous for breaking Geno Smith’s face. That help accelerate the downfall of Smith and led to a weird, short-lived rise for Enemkpali after he was traded to Buffalo in the fallout. We’d say more here and try to make football-sense of this draft, but it’s simply too soul-crushing.

Grade: D-

Woody should have demanded his money back from idzik. D-?....more like an F.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 2 months later...
On 5/9/2018 at 11:34 AM, #27TheDominator said:

George played 16 games for the Colts last year. 

Dixon started 5 games for the Giants down the stretch (that's more games than Juston Burris has started in his career).

Kind of interesting (to me) that Brandon Dixon is out of the league. I know the Giants had issues in the secondary last year, but he had 5 starts for them and basically played every defensive snap in 4 out of their last 5 - he got hurt 4 snaps into the Philly game, but came back to play every defensive snap the last 2 weeks. In the (basically) 4 games, he had 21 tackles, 4 passes defended and a forced fumble.  For  a guy that has been on rosters and practice squads since the draft, you'd think that would be enough to get him on somebody's 90.  I guess maybe teams don't want 28 year old fringe players. 

FWIW, George is still hanging on with the Colts, but they moved to a 4-3, so he probably won't last as a Kevin Minter styled thumper. 

The Pats signed Reilly to play specials.  He is already 30, so his career is probably close to an end. 

Jace Amaro is with the Chiefs. For now.

 

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Restore formatting

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

 Share

×
×
  • Create New...