They've done everything but call him "Broadway Sam"

Dcronin

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply

So he actually had a (draft day) red carpet interview, where the lady asked him about a nickname he had in high school, “Lord and Savior”

He said, he shut that down real quick cause he didn’t want people to feel that he let them down if he didn’t meet their lofty expectations. 

Perfect response. 

3 hours ago, CTM said:

True, but it feels ominous. All the wrong people counting super bowl titles already. It's hard to imagine the universe doing a 180 on their/our fortunes and the more they boast the more likely it feels like failure is coming. "The Sanchize" wasn't that long ago that the board should have collective amnesia as to how these things work out.

Groundhog day around here. 

Emotionally fragile sports fans crack me up. Hope springs eternal. Jets just drafted the best QB in the draft.  Let Jet fans be hopeful, regardless of history.  History won't dictate what Darnold becomes.  He has all the tools to be great.  Hope he becomes great.  If he doesn't, he doesn't.  Nothing is lost in dreaming.

As to the Sanchize, going into Pittsburgh for the AFCCC, everyone thought Sanchez was "The One" after the Jets beat the Pats in Foxboro.  Jet fans also thought Rex would coach here another 10 years.  Things changed because situations changed.

If you and the OP are too emotionally fragile to dream, fine. That's on you.  But no one should be dictating how other fans should feel, especially about a potentially franchise altering QB.

8 minutes ago, SMC said:

Emotionally fragile sports fans crack me up. Hope springs eternal. Jets just drafted the best QB in the draft.  Let Jet fans be hopeful, regardless of history.  History won't dictate what Darnold becomes.  He has all the tools to be great.  Hope he becomes great.  If he doesn't, he doesn't.  Nothing is lost in dreaming.

As to the Sanchize, going into Pittsburgh for the AFCCC, everyone thought Sanchez was "The One" after the Jets beat the Pats in Foxboro.  Jet fans also thought Rex would coach here another 10 years.  Things changed because situations changed.

If you and the OP are too emotionally fragile to dream, fine. That's on you.  But no one should be dictating how other fans should feel, especially about a potentially franchise altering QB.

Hope is not the issue I was referring too.

Nothing we say or do as fans will impact whether Sam Darnold is a success or failure.  Therefore, I will call him the savior of the franchise all I want, and there are 2 things you can do about it:  1) Nothing.  2) Like it. 

franchise-savior.jpg

5 hours ago, Dcronin said:

The insanity has to stop. The kid knows there are high expectations. He was picked #3. Stop calling him "the franchise savior." Stop saying he should definitely start day 1.

Stop doing all the things that guarantee failure here and everrywhere. Jesus, how stupid are people? He's had two or three days of practice, a bunch of fumbled snaps, some decent throws.

You know, like a rookie who has had two or three days of practice. Sam Darnold is absolutely nothing yet. Nothing at all. He's a glimmer of hope. Give him a chance to develop, and stop telling the media that we have Quarterback Jesus, savior of all, on our team. I haaaaaaaaaaate the hype. Surefire path to disappointment.

Excitement and hopefulness and buzz is great. But saying already he's a franchise savior is a symptom of Sanchez Syndrome.

DC

I think you win the nickname thread

5 hours ago, Dcronin said:

The insanity has to stop. The kid knows there are high expectations. He was picked #3. Stop calling him "the franchise savior." Stop saying he should definitely start day 1.

Stop doing all the things that guarantee failure here and everrywhere. Jesus, how stupid are people? He's had two or three days of practice, a bunch of fumbled snaps, some decent throws.

You know, like a rookie who has had two or three days of practice. Sam Darnold is absolutely nothing yet. Nothing at all. He's a glimmer of hope. Give him a chance to develop, and stop telling the media that we have Quarterback Jesus, savior of all, on our team. I haaaaaaaaaaate the hype. Surefire path to disappointment.

Excitement and hopefulness and buzz is great. But saying already he's a franchise savior is a symptom of Sanchez Syndrome.

DC

stop being a little bitch, this is a man sport...if you want to cuddle rookie go watch basketball.

55 minutes ago, SMC said:

You pretended that things changed because actual outcomes started converging with expected outcomes.

1 hour ago, SMC said:

Everyone? 

We have suffered as Jet fans for a long, long time. Sure, it is way too soon to put him in the HOF, but this is the most exciting time as a Jet fan for a long, long time. I say, let's enjoy the hype while we can. We hopefully have our franchise QB for the next 15 years - let's be happy.

There is plenty of time for the reality of how bad this team is to sink in.

In fact, I don't care if the Jets only win 2 games next year and Sam doesn't play that way, it will still be a great season. J E T S, Jets, Jets, Jets.

1 hour ago, Miss Lonelyhearts said:

You pretended that things changed because actual outcomes started converging with expected outcomes.

The trajectory did change after the AFCCG, both due to Sanchez and his circumstances. You could chose to ignore that.

1 hour ago, #27TheDominator said:

Everyone? 

We can play revisionist history, but remember back to those days after Sanchez led the Jets to a victory over the Pats in NE.  It was after already beating Peyton in Indianapolis.  Fans weren't questioning Sanchez as a franchise QB. He was a conquering hero and fans believed he was going to lead the Jets past the Steelers.

4 minutes ago, SMC said:

We can play revisionist history, but remember back to those days after Sanchez led the Jets to a victory over the Pats in NE.  It was after already beating Peyton in Indianapolis.  Fans weren't questioning Sanchez as a franchise QB. He was a conquering hero and fans believed he was going to lead the Jets past the Steelers.

Where were you?  I'm not revising sh*t.  I was here and while I appreciated his game against the Pats, I was still no huge Sanchez fan.  I thought he might develop, but the Jets pressure made that game.  Sanchez was efficient and they got it done when they had to, but they weren't exactly moving the chains. Shane was no Sanchez fan either - though I was pro-Rex and Shane rabidly anti-Rex.  I was as pro-Rex a guy as you will find, but I didn't expect him to coach here very long.  He always seemed like a guy with a shelf-life.  

24 minutes ago, #27TheDominator said:

Where were you?  I'm not revising sh*t.  I was here and while I appreciated his game against the Pats, I was still no huge Sanchez fan.  I thought he might develop, but the Jets pressure made that game.  Sanchez was efficient and they got it done when they had to, but they weren't exactly moving the chains. Shane was no Sanchez fan either - though I was pro-Rex and Shane rabidly anti-Rex.  I was as pro-Rex a guy as you will find, but I didn't expect him to coach here very long.  He always seemed like a guy with a shelf-life.  

LOL, I was here just like you. "Everyone" might have been hyperbole, but saying a majority of Jets fans (here and outside JN) viewed Sanchez during that week as the franchise QB is accurate.

Shane is not a fan of anybody, so that is a bad choice.

7 hours ago, Larz said:

From 2016 at USC 

https://247sports.com/college/usc/Board/29/Contents/Quick-Facts-About-Sam-Darnold-48987542

Sam Darnold can kill 2 stones with 1 bird.

When Sam Darnold turned 18, his parents moved out.

Sam Darnold can delete the Recycling Bin

Sam Darnold's calendar goes straight from March 31st to April 2nd. Nobody fools Sam Darnold.

Sam Darnold knows Victoria's secret.

Sam can slam a revolving door.

When Sam does push-ups, he is actually pushing the world away.

If opportunity knocks and Sam Darnold isn't home, opportunity waits.

2_4942914.jpg

hmmm

this reminds me of the Kellen Clemens/Chuck Norris thread.

That one backfired.

5 hours ago, bitonti said:

we can't control the pressure

we can hope this guy can handle the pressure. 

early signs are positive. my only concern is that ridiculous early schedule. Let McCown play 3 games in 10 days.

They should let him take the reigns around week 5 for the sunny home stretch like Slats' Master QB Plan. 

If I was Chris Johnson I'd be making a stink about 3 games in 10 days! Player safety my AZZ! I'm just glad outside of the QB this team is pretty young & should be able to handle it. We're gonna run the ball A LOT to shorten these games, I'll tell ya that.

Fans of the NY Jets have not had any real hope since 2011 - agree it's over the top but do not expect it to improve for a while, it will probably get worse before it calms down - just hope the kid does well

not sure I can handle another 5 years of cleaning house and rebuilding - that would be worse then the hype cycle we are dealing with now

We now have the QB I always wanted so that is great.  A guy with a chance to be a true franchise player.

The front office has done a TERRIBLE job of setting things up for him to hit the ground running and succeed but all hope is not lost if Maccagnan grows a brain and sets priorities.

Does not draft any oline

Does not draft any impact RBS

Does not draft any impact TE's or WRS.

I'm sure the sunshine squad will be along shortly to tell me just how good the other parts of our offense are but in reality our o talent is still poor to mediocre.  The oline is like a rickety house of cards.

16 hours ago, SMC said:

"Everyone" might have been hyperbole, but saying a majority of Jets fans (here and outside JN) viewed Sanchez during that week as the franchise QB is accurate.

I have more respect for the wisdom of crowds than you would think but this is nonsense. What you guys think isn't a good barometer of reality. Sanchez didn't start out good and turn bad. He was always bad. He was never going to be anything other than bad. He was so bad the Colts deliberately handed us a playoff berth. THAT IS ******* CRAZY. What actually happened was that Revis and Rex were a perfect storm with a limited shelf life and Sanchez was the primary reason we blew our window. We propped him up for a while but you can't hide a quarterback forever.

1 hour ago, Miss Lonelyhearts said:

I have more respect for the wisdom of crowds than you would think but this is nonsense. What you guys think isn't a good barometer of reality. Sanchez didn't start out good and turn bad. He was always bad. He was never going to be anything other than bad. He was so bad the Colts deliberately handed us a playoff berth. THAT IS ******* CRAZY. What actually happened was that Revis and Rex were a perfect storm with a limited shelf life and Sanchez was the primary reason we blew our window. We propped him up for a while but you can't hide a quarterback forever.

Perception is what we're talking about, not reality.  That is what the OP was about.  Yes, Sanchez was bad, but he never developed.  He showed flashes but never maximized those.  Whether he was "never going to be anything than bad" is debatable because all prospects have an opportunity to turn out to be good if they maximize their talents.

Look at Louis Severino.  He was godawful in 2016 in his 1st full years in the majors.  He was so bad they hid him in the bullpen, where he also sucked.  Some people back then may have said he'll never be good.  But guess what?  He maximized his talent (with some help from Pedro Martinez) and is now one of the best pitchers in baseball.

Again, I was talking about the perception at a specific point in time and in that week leading up to the AFCCG, Sanchez was a star in the making.  But he fizzled out quickly because he failed to maximize his talent.

On 5/9/2018 at 10:50 AM, Dcronin said:

DC

Agreed, let's not forget when we used to call a certain player the "Sanchise"

Yeah, that's really all I am saying.

I do not want to rain on this parade at all. I just want normal expectations for a rookie QB to be in place.

In perennial winner New England, you see a team who isn't impressed with ANYONE until they truly earn it. That approach leads to Superbowl wins.

Calling Browning Nagle "Broadway Browning Nagle" just sets you up for a fall, is all.

Knowing the guy has only had his helmet for two weeks now, and having no idea what we'll see in training camp/preseason, I still say from my gut let this kid SIT, SIT, SIT! Different ballgame, different speed and level. Let him sit until he's more than ready.

To reiterate  - thrilled we have him. Anyone saying we're going to miss three friggin 2nd rounders is nuts.

DC

On 5/10/2018 at 10:41 AM, Beerfish said:

We now have the QB I always wanted so that is great.  A guy with a chance to be a true franchise player.

The front office has done a TERRIBLE job of setting things up for him to hit the ground running and succeed but all hope is not lost if Maccagnan grows a brain and sets priorities.

Does not draft any oline

Does not draft any impact RBS

Does not draft any impact TE's or WRS.

I'm sure the sunshine squad will be along shortly to tell me just how good the other parts of our offense are but in reality our o talent is still poor to mediocre.  The oline is like a rickety house of cards.

Good QBs have a way of making supporting staff look a lot better.  Not comparing Sam to Brady, but if you put some of Brady's offensive lines or even wide receiving corps over the years on another team they would have looked downright horrible.  Darnold played with a pretty bad OL and mediocre receivers last year and still managed to be competitive.  And hopefully Mac will build it as we go. 

I would like to see us invest our 1 and 2 round picks next year on the Oline.  Last time we used our two top picks in the same draft on OL (Brick and Mangold) it set us up for years.

3 hours ago, Bruce Harper said:

Good QBs have a way of making supporting staff look a lot better.  Not comparing Sam to Brady, but if you put some of Brady's offensive lines or even wide receiving corps over the years on another team they would have looked downright horrible.  Darnold played with a pretty bad OL and mediocre receivers last year and still managed to be competitive.  And hopefully Mac will build it as we go. 

I would like to see us invest our 1 and 2 round picks next year on the Oline.  Last time we used our two top picks in the same draft on OL (Brick and Mangold) it set us up for years.

We have no 2nd rounder, this team always goes bpa it seems in the 1st. 

Archived