DL Nathan Shepherd: 'Right Now, I'm an Intern with the Jets'

Marshmello

10 hours ago, Dcat said:

I do like Shepherd a lot, don't get me wrong, and I am pretty happy we got Nickerson so far down in the draft.  I agree on him being a potential steal 100%.  Gil Brandt was crowing about him when he analyzed the Jets draft.  I don't dislike Mac's picks in 3-7.  I'm just more positional need focused after rounds 1 & 2, than are most people here. 

Fair enough

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply

https://www.newyorkjets.com/news/jets-rookie-d-linemen-already-fast-friends

Jets' Rookie D-Linemen Already Fast Friends

TEAM REPORTER

shep-fatukasi-minicamp-E_MK2_0882

New York Jets

Jets third- and sixth-round picks Nathan Shepherd and Folorunso Fatukasi share more than a position. They share a mindset.

“Right now I’m an intern in the Jets organization,” Shepherd said. “I have several weeks ahead of me and it’s going to be intense. I just had to put that mindset into myself and everyone else that I’m here to earn this job.”

The defensive linemen roomed together during last week’s rookie minicamp and after practice, they’d quickly call their families before diving into the playbook. They created offensive line fronts with the hotel room chairs to make sure they understood what the coaches were expecting from them come practice.

“It’s great because let’s say I pick up 60% and that other 40% is in my notes, he’ll have it in his notes or right on deck,” Shepherd said. “We’ll go through plays and each one of us is filling each other in on something we might’ve overlooked."

“The other day, I said we had to breathe and turn on the TV to take a couple minutes. He (Shepherd) asked where the remote was and I had no idea,” Fatukasi said. “We didn’t know where it was because once we come back in the room every night, we’re into the playbook. We just try our hardest to understand what the coaches are teaching us or expecting us to do. We’re in the playbook and knocked out by 10.”

Shepherd and Fatukasi clicked immediately, but their relationship dates further back than last week’s rookie minicamp.

“We had actually connected at the Combine and on social media, so we’d been messaging each other back and forth since,” Shepherd said. “Come the draft, he congratulated me and things like that. Before I know it, I’m scrolling on Twitter and Fatukasi is going to the Jets. I go and message him like ‘This is great.’”

“To be honest, I did not see that coming,” Fatukasi said. “One thing I really picked up about him is that he’s a real genuine and true guy. That’s one thing I like to surround myself around with, good people. I really like his attitude and his energy. His overall persona is really good.”

Shepherd and Fatukasi, who weigh a combined 633 pounds, are excited to get the ball rolling and meet their veteran teammates come OTAs. Fatukasi, a UConn product, said he had to quickly get off the high of being drafted because there’s work to be done. Similarly, Shepherd, who took a winding road to the NFL, said his only reflection time comes with the media, but he has small surreal reminders like when the Jets tag him in their Twitter posts.

Right now, I’m just trying to learn as much as I can and soak up everything I can,” he said. “I imagine it’ll be a lot different once the veterans are here. I’m looking forward to that. I’m staying in the moment and going through our installs.”

“First and foremost, I just want to show the coaches that I can learn,” Fatukasi said. “You teach me something, you break it down to me and I can learn it. I just want to let them know and show them I can get better every time I do something. Most importantly, build a connection with my new teammates.”

Nickerson seems like he has a good head on his shoulders too.  That's a good amount of interceptions.  Seems like most of the so called draft experts called him a steal in the 6th round for us .  I guess being undersized and his injury history caused him to fall to the 6th round.

•     Tackles Def Int Fumbles
      Year School Conf Class Pos G Solo Ast Tot Loss Sk Int Yds Avg TD PD FR Yds TD FF
      *2013 Tulane CUSA FR CB 1 5 2 7 0.0 0.0 0 0   0 0 0     1
      2014 Tulane American FR CB 11 40 11 51 2.5 0.0 6 24 4.0 0 6 1     0
      2015 Tulane American SO CB 11 41 5 46 3.5 0.0 0 0   0 8 1 48 1 1
      2016 Tulane American JR CB 11 20 9 29 0.0 0.0 4 171 42.8 1 9 2     1
      2017 Tulane American SR CB 12 48 7 55 2.0 0.0 6 8 1.3 0 8 0     0
      Career Tulane         154 34 188 8.0 0.0 16 203 12.7 1 31 4 48 1 3

Jets Rookie Breakdown: Strengths and weaknesses of DL Nathan Shepherd

TWEET
 EMAIL

Nathan Shepherd - DL, New York Jets, Pick No. 72 Fort Hays St., 6-foot-5, 315 pounds Strengths Weaknesses

In the coming days, we at the Jets Wire will be putting together scouting reports on all of the Jets draft picks, as well as a few undrafted free agents. Our second installment is a look at third-round pick Nathan Shepherd.

Taken on Day 2 of the NFL draft, New York is hoping that the small-school product out of Fort Hays State can replace Muhammad Wilkerson on the defensive line.

Strengths

In pads, especially at the first day of Senior Bowl practices, Shepherd certainly looks the part. At 6-foot-4, 315 pounds, he has the size the to be a dynamic run-stuffer with the athletic capability of being an effective pass rusher as well. His physical traits and athletic ability are rare for a person of his size. Combined with his unparalleled instincts, he could be a feared player for opposing offenses.

Weaknesses

Although he made players from bigger schools look silly in practice down in Mobile, there is still some concern about how he will fare versus NFL grade competition. Judging by his combine and Senior Bowl performances, it should not be an issue, but it is certainly something to keep an eye. Shepherd will turn 25 years old in September, which is not exactly ideal for an NFL prospect. The Jets will have him for a rookie deal in the prime of his career, but due to his long journey, his NFL shelf-life may be shorter than if he entered the league two or three years earlier.

Outlook

The Jets got an athletic and physical freak to add to a defensive line that is missing a couple of chess pieces. Shepherd will be the perfect toy for Todd Bowles to utilize on the line thanks to his nimbleness and figures to help the Jets pass rush get going.

On 5/11/2018 at 9:06 PM, NYDreamer said:

While I like what I am seeing in Shepard, I would have prob. taken LT Orlando Brown to be honest.  I hope these players become all pros.

I wanted Brown too but our FO has a way better track record evaluating interior DL

Archived