Contention Begins in 2019

BrickTamland

While I'm very excited to see what comes in 2018, I can't help but think about 2019. I don't know if anyone else cares to discuss, but here goes. 

In 2019, we'll have Darnold with one NFL year under his belt, likely with at least some starting experience. Brady will be a year older. The Dolphins will still suck. Josh Allen will be throwing it into the stands (kidding).

Here's a look at how the team will be set up from 2019 and beyond:

Positional Breakdowns for 2019 and Beyond

Starting with the D-line: it looks like we have set up our new young foundation. At least that is the hope. At the conclusion of the draft, I was initially annoyed that we invested so many additional resources into this unit. It helps to keep in mind that McLendon is an older vet on his last year. Apparently, the hope is that Foley will step in. Wilkerson is gone, so we got his potential replacement, Anderson, in a very cheap trade. Leonard Williams is no lock to be on the team next year, so we have Shepherd to take his spot. Behind those guys we have Mike Pennel. I don't think there is a need here.

Flipping over to the O-line: following the draft I was annoyed that we put so little emphasis here. As Mac has indicated himself, he just doesn't prioritize these guys in the early rounds. The good news is that most of the starters are signed through 2019 or later. Beachum, Winters, Long and Shell are all signed through at least 2019. Here, we have 1 potential hole at Guard.

I won't say anything about safeties, except to acknowledge that we appear to have starting quality players well through 2019.

At CB, I'm glad we have our CB1 going through 2019, but this group is looking a little precarious at the moment. We don't know what we will have in Parry Nickerson. We have so many young players and yet they're all question marks. We have 2 potential holes at CB.

At LB, I'm cautiously optimistic with what we have going on. ILBs Lee and Williamson are here. Jordan Jenkins can man one OLB spot. Furthermore, we have Luvu, who I am hopeful will be a spark player to insert to rush the passer. However, we still have 1 hole proven pass rusher.

Turning to the playmakers on offense, again, we have a lot of question marks.

At WR, our top 4 players will be FA following 2018, which is a blessing and a curse. All of these guys will be motivated to put up good numbers. We will have the resources to re-sign the guys who can produce and stay healthy. We might have a player in Hansen. Stewart, Peake and the others are all question marks. Otherwise, we have 3 potential holes at WR.

At RB, Crowell is signed through 2019. After that, we have our rookie, Cannon, and maybe one of the UDFA will stick. Unless one of those youngens shows up bigtime, we have 1 hole at RB.

At TE, I don't know what we have. We have a lot of players with talent who haven't produced yet in the NFL.

Finally, at QB, we will have 1 need for a proven backup QB.

Financial Situation

As of this moment, we have approximately 90M in cap space for 2019.

Addressing our Needs

By this very premature tally, I'd think we have approximately 9 holes. I expect a number of those to be filled by re-signing our own players (ie 1 or 2 of our WR, CB Morris Claiborne). Additionally, we certainly hope that our own guys will step up (can Nickerson be effective as a starting CB? can Cannon be our new scat back?).

With regard to other teams -- would anyone else love to raid the Vikings? Thanks to their victory in the Cousins sweepstakes, it will be very hard for them to sign their top two free agents Stefon Diggs and Danielle Hunter. (They have about 23M in cap space right now). Either one of those players would be exceptional steals for our team. (They also have free agents in Anthony Barr, Sheldon Richardson, Latavius Murray).

It's so early to go crazy looking into the various free agents, but here are some more potentially exciting guys at positions we will need:

WR : Brandin Cooks, Devin Funchess, OBJ, Josh Gordon, Martavis Bryant

RB: Tevin Coleman, Duke Johnson, LeVeon Bell, David Johnson, Ty Montgomery

CB: Ronald Darby, Bradley Roby....

Regardless of how we obtain the players, the 90M will go a long way to building a quality team that will contend if Darnold develops into who we hope he will.

Flipping over to the O-line: following the draft I was annoyed that we put so little emphasis here. As Mac has indicated himself, he just doesn't prioritize these guys in the early rounds.

Why protect your franchise QB when you can spend top resources on players who's primary responsibilities are to chase whichever receiver just beat Buster Skrine into the endzone.

5 hours ago, Larz said:

Why not us? Why not now? 

Wasn't that the Parcells training camp shirt when he got to the Jets? 

That was the Orlando Magic's slogan when they went to the NBA finals in the mid 90s. In any event, no more sucking for anybody. We just need an Oline and a pass rusher now

7 hours ago, Patriot Killa said:

Nah. We shouldn’t purposely lose for for anyone. We have our QB now. I’d even argue that the opposite should be applied given the fact there are so many good options.

Agree. 

We will be ok - decent this year. I will be shocked if we lose less than 6 games. Im guessing 8-8 record.

OTOH, we are not a realistic SB contender. I think we can be, as soon as 2019, if Darnold is coming along nicely and a few more players break our way.

16 hours ago, BrickTamland said:

While I'm very excited to see what comes in 2018, I can't help but think about 2019. I don't know if anyone else cares to discuss, but here goes. 

In 2019, we'll have....

You miss the biggest storyline of the 2019 season:   A new head coach who is an experienced winner.

In today's NFL, you can't court the elite head coaching veterans if you don't have an elite franchise quarterback prospect.  The Jets should be well-positioned to make that happen next year.  We don't need Darnold to actually perform like a franchise quarterback this season; we just need him to show enough promise to make everyone in the NFL think he's actually going to turn out that way. 

SAR I

17 hours ago, GreenFish said:

If you ask Bowles, the Jets were in playoff contention last year before McCown went down. So not really sure what you’re talking about with this 2019 stuff. 

Playoff contention for miniature golf ?

45 minutes ago, Jetster said:

Taylor Lewan & Zack Martin in 2019 free agency as our two big purchases will help out plenty! 

Mac really needs to get some quality OL in here to protect Darnold or it’s just going to be an accident waiting to happen. The Trojan OL in 2017 was mediocre compared to 2016 and Darnold was under constant pressure thus resulting into numerous turnovers. I don’t see Darnold playing much this year which actually might be a wise move.  This OL is pedestrian at best. In 2019, it needs to be revamped with FA’s. We only have a #1, no 2, next year which will more than likely be used on a pass rusher. At 3-4, chances are you’re not getting elite OL. Do it Mac, upgrade the OL or Darnold will be burnt toast.

16 hours ago, Patriot Killa said:

Nah. We shouldn’t purposely lose for for anyone. We have our QB now. I’d even argue that the opposite should be applied given the fact there are so many good options.

Yup   Right now we're tied for 1st. We could have easily been 8-8 last year. We were "in" almost every game , a bounce here a call there could have made it happen. I'm looking for a quick turn around.

4 hours ago, BigO said:

Mac really needs to get some quality OL in here to protect Darnold or it’s just going to be an accident waiting to happen. The Trojan OL in 2017 was mediocre compared to 2016 and Darnold was under constant pressure thus resulting into numerous turnovers. I don’t see Darnold playing much this year which actually might be a wise move.  This OL is pedestrian at best. In 2019, it needs to be revamped with FA’s. We only have a #1, no 2, next year which will more than likely be used on a pass rusher. At 3-4, chances are you’re not getting elite OL. Do it Mac, upgrade the OL or Darnold will be burnt toast.

Depending on how this year plays out, I’d argue OL would be a major need. I don’t have trust in ANY of the OL starters we have. They are average at the very best, some being far below average. It’s not the Brick, Faneca, Mangold, Moore and Woody OL. That’s where we need to be. Not drafting a bunch of DL only to release them or trade them later on. NFL games are won in the trenches and I’m pretty sure we’ve invested far more on the DL/LBs than OL. 2 OL drafted by Mac in 4 years. All the while we had one of the worse OL in the league. SMDH.

I doubt we are a playoff team this year, although there is an outside chance if everything goes right.  2019 might even be a step down, as Darnold plays his first year and has the associated growing pains.  I think the real contention starts in 2020 and 2021 where hopefully all the long term young players we've been drafting (and will draft) start to enter their primes.

We still need a lot of picks at the OL, a real franchise wr1, a TE1, a RB1, a pass rusher, and a cb1.  So I'd say at least 7-8 big needs that are still unmet with probably at least 5 or 6 of those that need to be drafted (we can probably get one or two in FA)

On 5/11/2018 at 1:06 PM, BrickTamland said:

In 2019, we'll have Darnold with one NFL year under his belt, likely with at least some starting experience. Brady will be a year older. The Dolphins will still suck. Josh Allen will be throwing it into the stands (kidding).

Here's a look at how the team will be set up from 2019 and beyond:

Positional Breakdowns for 2019 and Beyond

Starting with the D-line: it looks like we have set up our new young foundation. At least that is the hope. At the conclusion of the draft, I was initially annoyed that we invested so many additional resources into this unit. It helps to keep in mind that McLendon is an older vet on his last year. Apparently, the hope is that Foley will step in. Wilkerson is gone, so we got his potential replacement, Anderson, in a very cheap trade. Leonard Williams is no lock to be on the team next year, so we have Shepherd to take his spot. Behind those guys we have Mike Pennel. I don't think there is a need here.

Flipping over to the O-line: following the draft I was annoyed that we put so little emphasis here. As Mac has indicated himself, he just doesn't prioritize these guys in the early rounds. The good news is that most of the starters are signed through 2019 or later. Beachum, Winters, Long and Shell are all signed through at least 2019. Here, we have 1 potential hole at Guard.

I won't say anything about safeties, except to acknowledge that we appear to have starting quality players well through 2019.

At CB, I'm glad we have our CB1 going through 2019, but this group is looking a little precarious at the moment. We don't know what we will have in Parry Nickerson. We have so many young players and yet they're all question marks. We have 2 potential holes at CB.

At LB, I'm cautiously optimistic with what we have going on. ILBs Lee and Williamson are here. Jordan Jenkins can man one OLB spot. Furthermore, we have Luvu, who I am hopeful will be a spark player to insert to rush the passer. However, we still have 1 hole proven pass rusher.

Turning to the playmakers on offense, again, we have a lot of question marks.

At WR, our top 4 players will be FA following 2018, which is a blessing and a curse. All of these guys will be motivated to put up good numbers. We will have the resources to re-sign the guys who can produce and stay healthy. We might have a player in Hansen. Stewart, Peake and the others are all question marks. Otherwise, we have 3 potential holes at WR.

At RB, Crowell is signed through 2019. After that, we have our rookie, Cannon, and maybe one of the UDFA will stick. Unless one of those youngens shows up bigtime, we have 1 hole at RB.

At TE, I don't know what we have. We have a lot of players with talent who haven't produced yet in the NFL.

Finally, at QB, we will have 1 need for a proven backup QB.

Financial Situation

As of this moment, we have approximately 90M in cap space for 2019.

Addressing our Needs

By this very premature tally, I'd think we have approximately 9 holes. I expect a number of those to be filled by re-signing our own players (ie 1 or 2 of our WR, CB Morris Claiborne). Additionally, we certainly hope that our own guys will step up (can Nickerson be effective as a starting CB? can Cannon be our new scat back?).

With regard to other teams -- would anyone else love to raid the Vikings? Thanks to their victory in the Cousins sweepstakes, it will be very hard for them to sign their top two free agents Stefon Diggs and Danielle Hunter. (They have about 23M in cap space right now). Either one of those players would be exceptional steals for our team. (They also have free agents in Anthony Barr, Sheldon Richardson, Latavius Murray).

It's so early to go crazy looking into the various free agents, but here are some more potentially exciting guys at positions we will need:

WR : Brandin Cooks, Devin Funchess, OBJ, Josh Gordon, Martavis Bryant

RB: Tevin Coleman, Duke Johnson, LeVeon Bell, David Johnson, Ty Montgomery

CB: Ronald Darby, Bradley Roby....

Regardless of how we obtain the players, the 90M will go a long way to building a quality team that will contend if Darnold develops into who we hope he will.

Ugh seriously? Can we wait for opening day at least in 2018? This team can absolutely be in contention this year. We as a fan base need to stop being so obsess with drafts and “cap room” and concentrate on the task ahead, winning games this season! 

46 minutes ago, kevinc855 said:

Ugh seriously? Can we wait for opening day at least in 2018? This team can absolutely be in contention this year. We as a fan base need to stop being so obsess with drafts and “cap room” and concentrate on the task ahead, winning games this season! 

Ugh. Can’t you, like, think big picture

Just now, BrickTamland said:

Ugh. Can’t you, like, think big picture

Live in the moment man, jet fans gave up on last season, pretty sure the season before. Constantly here about draft picks and cap room when we have a solid roster and exciting season coming up. You guys remind me of the guy who always puts off taking that dream vacation till next year then drops dead

19 hours ago, RoadFan said:

2020 and beyond...

The OP is a year early.  But it sure is nice to feel optimistic, isn't it?

2020?

Why not 2025?

The Colts only made the playoffs with Luck as a rookie just one season after 2-14 and the Pats won a Super Bowl after going 5-11 the previous season but we have to wait another 10 years for Macagnan to learn how to draft

Archived