Chad is mentoring Baker

jetrider

Chad Pennington advises Baker Mayfield to remember who he is

Posted by Mike Florio on May 13, 2018, 10:11 PM EDT
gettyimages-120974223-e1526263880389.jpg
Getty Images

The Jets and Browns, among others, are breaking in rookie quarterbacks. And it’s a former Jets rookie quarterback who is working with the Browns rookie quarterback.

Yes, Chad Pennington — a first-round pick of the Jets in 2000 — is mentoring Baker Mayfield. And Pennington’s primary recommendation is surprisingly simple.

“My first piece of advice came from a place of transparency and honesty in saying that, ‘Baker, you have to remember who you are,'” Pennington told Nate Ulrich of the Akron Beacon-Journal. “‘And that is a guy who was a twice walk-on in college, and without your work ethic and your talent, you would probably be a [graduate assistant] somewhere coaching.'”

The goal is to get Mayfield to “keep that edge about [him], or this game and the entertainment value around this game will eat a player up and spit him out.”

Pennington has cautioned Mayfield to shy away from some of the pre-draft projects he embraced, including a nine-part Facebook documentary.

“[O]nce you believe you’re an entertainer, not a football player, your time is going to be limited in this league,” Pennington told Ulrich. “We talked about keeping it strictly about football, eliminating some of those distractions. I certainly understand the business side of building your brand, but like I tell all the rookies I speak with, your brand is not how many followers you have on Twitter and friends on Facebook. Your brand is how you work and how you treat people, and if your work ethic is right and you treat people right, your brand will be built the correct way.”

Pennington also believes that Mayfield should reconsider his habit of remembering which media members write or say critical things about him.

“You [should] have a healthy perspective on it where you use it as motivation but you don’t take it so personal that it completely controls every action and reaction that you have,” Pennington said. “We think that this relationship with the media should be so tense and adversarial. But when I look back upon it, I think most people within the media are good people, a lot of them are closet fans of the team they’re reporting on, they just don’t want you to know it, and if you treat them with respect and understand they have a job to do and so do you and you keep that healthy and professional, it can be something that bodes well for you.”

Pennington likes the fact that the Browns are committed to keeping Mayfield on the bench to start his career, as long as Mayfield is willing to support the starter.

“When [the quarterback] room is stable, then the team is stable,” Pennington said. “When that room is not stable, the team is not stable.”

The Browns have been anything but stable in recent years. If they groom Mayfield the right way — and if he’s all in with the approach — they may be better than stable, for a long time.

• Replies 199
  • Created
  • Last Reply
50 minutes ago, jetrider said:

I wish we'd cut more fat off the QB depth chart and go all in with Sam asap. Make it his team, his system, and do it right. 

I didn’t understand the Bridgewater signing and still don’t. McCown goes down? Darnold goes in. Darnold isn’t ready, McCown starts. McCown goes down and Darnold isn’t ready?He plays anyway.

He’s a highly invested in 3rd overall selection. just didn’t see the purpose in signing the guy. In any scenario all they really need is McCown and Darnold...

My penis has more tactile strength than his shoulder.

True story 

Good guy, though. Upstanding chap...but a death knell of a QB after the lame flipper.

Similar to what Fins fans are feeling right now, I’m sure. With that flaccid, lame dick of a no-nothing that they’re set to invest a 7th year in...

Ha

Praise Jebus for Darnold 

Praise Jebus for dem Browns 

Chad is really smart, gives such good advice in this article.  I felt good about our chances when he was the qb.  Jet fans should stop bashing him because he got hurt; it's not his fault. The guy was a warrior for us, a little appreciation.

1 hour ago, Patriot Killa said:

I didn’t understand the Bridgewater signing and still don’t. McCown goes down? Darnold goes in. Darnold isn’t ready, McCown starts. McCown goes down and Darnold isn’t ready?He plays anyway.

He’s a highly invested in 3rd overall selection. just didn’t see the purpose in signing the guy. In any scenario all they really need is McCown and Darnold...

Because Hack is actually horrible, and we need a QB that is not embarrassing.

5 hours ago, Patriot Killa said:

well, it's kind of cheap insurance.  considering where they were at the time, there was no reason for them to think they would've landed darnold and so needed to bring in at least one vet to push hack and be the 2nd or 3rd string.  imo there was still the possibility that they would not have chosen a qb if darnold and mayfield (or maybe rosen) were off the board.  they might have taken a guy like chubb or fitzpatrick or traded down a couple of spots to pick up rosen.  or, if bridgewater's knee were 100% then maybe they look in later rounds for a qb like falk or lauletta, etc.

right now, if bridgewater is healthy and shows something in camp he could be a trade asset.

4 hours ago, roscoeword said:

Chad is really smart, gives such good advice in this article.  I felt good about our chances when he was the qb.  Jet fans should stop bashing him because he got hurt; it's not his fault. The guy was a warrior for us, a little appreciation.

yep, chad gets maligned for things beyond his control.  his wrist injury was freaky.  and he may not have had the strongest arm but he sure knew where to throw the ball.  and he could throw some decent post patterns on ocassion.

5 hours ago, Patriot Killa said:

Have you ever seen someone buy a lottery ticket?

Then you understand the Bridgewater signing.

4 hours ago, roscoeword said:

Plus - if you read his words and consider Darnold instead of Mayfield, Sam's already living by a lot of this advice anyway. He's all about the football and the team, and not the "look at me!" celebrity image.

6 hours ago, jetrider said:

I wish we'd cut more fat off the QB depth chart and go all in with Sam asap. Make it his team, his system, and do it right. 

If we throw Sam in to early, his career just might look like your avatar.

3 minutes ago, jamesr said:

Plus - if you read his words and consider Darnold instead of Mayfield, Sam's already living by a lot of this advice anyway. He's all about the football and the team, and not the "look at me!" celebrity image.

Pretty amazing, really. Sam Darnold was drafted into the New York market over two weeks ago and I have no idea if he has a single endorsement. 

27 minutes ago, T0mShane said:

Pretty amazing, really. Sam Darnold was drafted into the New York market over two weeks ago and I have no idea if he has a single endorsement. 

Look at this sell out. Too busy sponsoring Kay Jewelers and not worrying about the playbook. 

Screen Shot 2018-05-14 at 7.56.42 AM.png

Bridgewater was a good signing IMO. If healthy he gives you what ALL teams need in todays NFL. 2 capable starters. Notice I said capable not quality. I would love it if Teddy comes out throwing in TC and proves he is healthy. Imagine if he beats out McCown to start? I know its a long way off but would you rather have a healthy Bridgewater or McCown keeping it warm for Sam? I know the answer for me is a healthy Bridgewater with McCown doing the mentoring thing behind the scenes. McCown is probably one of the few guys in the League who wouldn't cause problems in the locker room if he was beaten out by either guy. That's why I'm satisfied with the current QB situation. If Bridgewater isn't healthy? No harm, no foul. You thank him at the end of TC and see if he wants rehab some more or try to catch on somewhere else. There is no downside IMO.

1 hour ago, rangerous said:

well, it's kind of cheap insurance.  considering where they were at the time, there was no reason for them to think they would've landed darnold and so needed to bring in at least one vet to push hack and be the 2nd or 3rd string.  imo there was still the possibility that they would not have chosen a qb if darnold and mayfield (or maybe rosen) were off the board.  they might have taken a guy like chubb or fitzpatrick or traded down a couple of spots to pick up rosen.  or, if bridgewater's knee were 100% then maybe they look in later rounds for a qb like falk or lauletta, etc.

right now, if bridgewater is healthy and shows something in camp he could be a trade asset.

The Jets announced the signing of Bridgewater the day after they made the trade up to #3. They were never not taking a QB at #3. They had a list of three QBs in the draft room, all located in Maccagnan's head, and he was taking the top one left when it was his time to pick. What's kinda odd about the Bridgewater signing is that Bridgewater felt being the Jets' afterthought was his best opportunity this year. Goes to show what the impression of Bridgewater is around the league. I hope he looks surprisingly good in the preseason and nets the team something before the trade deadline. That would be great. I think he's mostly McCown insurance in the short term. Once they think Darnold is ready to start -as long as McCown is still healthy- Teddy then becomes completely expendable. 

7 hours ago, Patriot Killa said:

My thought the minute I heard we signed Teddy was, "this has to be Mac signing a guy cheap that 2 seasons ago had a lot of 'hype' and 'high projections'. so we sign him cheap hope he shows flashes of that and can flip him for some good draft picks" 

teams are QB hungry and it could work in our benefit down the road. That is the only thing that makes sense. Buy low on a guy that could get you high trade value if he shows that his play is where it was in Minn. 2 seasons ago when a lot of people were saying he was going to "blow up" and be a high level QB. 

Buy low / Sell high... recoup some draft capital in a year or 2. 

This is the best news I've heard all day.

If being drafted by Cleveland isn't bad enough, having Noodle as your mentor seals the deal that history will show that passing on Darnold was an epic mistake.

Chad is great at one thing-  artificially puffing up his stats and elongating his career to maximize earnings potential.  Mayfield will appreciate working with the master on those aspects.

SAR I

6 minutes ago, SAR I said:

This is the best news I've heard all day.

If being drafted by Cleveland isn't bad enough, having Noodle as your mentor seals the deal that history will show that passing on Darnold was an epic mistake.

Chad is great at one thing-  artificially puffing up his stats and elongating his career to maximize earnings potential.  Mayfield will appreciate working with the master on those aspects.

SAR I

So it's perfectly fine for you to rip Pennington repeatedly for the past decade, but you get your panties in a bunch when anyone rips Sanchez.

Got it.  :rolleyes:  

Result: can't take anything you say about these two seriously.  Ever.

9 hours ago, jetrider said:

THe Jets just might do that.  But it makes sense to wait until camp and pre-season performance first.

3 hours ago, rangerous said:

yep, chad gets maligned for things beyond his control.  his wrist injury was freaky.  and he may not have had the strongest arm but he sure knew where to throw the ball.  and he could throw some decent post patterns on ocassion.

^This

2 hours ago, jamesr said:

He has said "I'm going to be myself" about a thousand times already in interviews.  Yet Mayfield needs Pennington to tell him that?  LOL.  Mayfield is a spotlight whore.  Just look at the 9 episode facebook story he committed to for the entire draft process.  Pennigton wants him to remember who he is?  Well he is an attention whore to the nth degree.  Yuck.  No thanks.

Archived