Chad is mentoring Baker

jetrider

• Replies 199
  • Created
  • Last Reply
22 hours ago, Philc1 said:

He was inconsistent in ‘09 and ‘10 with a great supporting cast.  Sanchez’s best regular season was actually 2011 but we missed the playoffs because the window had closed for the rest of the roster

The Tebow trade ended any chance Sanchez ever had of even being remotely decent.  We created a qb controversy out of thin air and anytime our offense had any momentum or got a first down in 2012 Sanchez would have to run off and line up at wideout because we had to get Tebow has minimum 5-10 snaps per game at qb because he was the next Brad Smith supposedly

"great supporting cast" that couldn't win w/ a HOF QB the year before Mark along w/ an easier sched and no Brady.  the cast was good/very good but it was not great.

Sanchez's best stat year was 2011, his best actual year was 2010. He was really, really good that year.

Tebow was never going to beat Mark out, what hurt more than anything was having no talent around him and getting rid of Schottenheimer. 

It wasn’t all about health Chad was a very limited player who couldn’t stretch the field.  Fitzpatrick had the same issues  but was never as good as Chad. I don’t hate Chad I’m just not inducting him into Canton like you

Chad was really good when healthy, in 2002 he was the 2nd best QB in football that year after gannon, in 2004 he was on his way to another top 5 year before the first rotator cuff injury and his career changing.

Ask the chargers in the 2004 WC game if he could stretch the field(and that was WITH a torn rotator cuff). 

We got very lucky that year and the team that helped us win the division was the pats with an enormous comeback win over the dolphins.  That was Chad’s only actual good season

we were very unlucky that year, we run away w/ the division if we didn't have so many injuries that first month and if Chad starts the season. 

we had to go into NE week 16 on a Sunday Night and win and we did so going away.  NE wouldn't lose another home game until THREE years later.

21 hours ago, slats said:

In 2002, it was looking like we had Joe Montana at QB. When the Jets beat the Colts 41-0 in the wildcard round, things were getting ecstatic. Then, the following week -long before his first major injury- the Raiders simply exposed him. He never reached the dizzying heights of that 2002 season again. He was clearly limited, the injuries just limited him further. 

In his career, he's credited with just 7 fourth quarter comebacks. In many fewer starts, Sanchez managed 8. 

I hate the "exposed" comment.  if he was "exp[osed" he never would have thrown 12 TDs in his first 5 games back from injury in 2003 or had a rating around 100 before the injury in 2004.  He wasn't "exposed", he and his teammates had a bad game.  People forget that game was tied late in the 3rd qtr and Coles gave up on an INt he easily could have broken up and the game changed.  Oakland was really good.

the 4th qtr "comeback" stat is very flawed.  if you are down by 1 and win it's considered a "comeback". How many situations did he actually fail in?

I remember down 14 in the 4th to NYG in 2003, he got the game to OT and we screwed up a GW FG attempt in OT. He gave the Jets a late lead vs. KC in his first start and the D blew it, that's Chad's fault? down 10 at Miami led us to the lead then the D blew it, chad's fault? going back into the game WITH a torn rotator cuff after his backup got hurt he led us to OT vs. Jax in 2005 from down 6 and if Chrebet holds on to a TD late we win in regulation....

and Chad had 7 4QC/11GW drives in 81 starts.  Aaron Rodgers has 12 4QC/19 GW drives in 142 starts.  The exact same rate as Chad, prorate Chad to 142 starts and he has 12 and 19.  does this show you how overrated that can be?

9 hours ago, SAR I said:

A mediocre quarterback who came along at exactly the wrong time, took a Parcells masterpiece of a roster and did nothing with it.  Mawae, Martin, Chrebet, Moss, Anderson, had it all and wasted it.  We cheered when he got hurt.  Hated the guy.  But some fall in love with his puppy dog face and hard luck story.  He's been Rusty Staubed.

SAR I

Parcells masterpiece roster:lol: by the time Chad started we already were in cap hell and had to let go of productive players to compete.  Parcells had nothing to do w/ bringing in Chrebet, Moss or Anderson.  If we had the talent you think we had there's no way parcells declines to coach TWICE, there's no way BB walks away and there's no way groh walks away. we had solid talent that was elevated when Chad became our QB.

11 hours ago, Thai Jet said:

This is a rare occasion but I gotta disagree. I know he regressed terribly but he made some great throws and he won many games in leading us to 2 AFC Championship games. If he were as bad as you describe we never would have even been a .500 team. This IS a QB driven league.

Simple, isn't it?

It's not possible to make the playoffs in back to back years, get through two rounds of playoffs on the road in back to back years, go on a streak of 16-4 over two years, and have 5 clutch fourth quarter comebacks turning 6-10 into an 11-5 season if you don't have a good quarterback.

No one is saying Mark Sanchez was Joe Montana.  But the guy certainly was better than Chad Pennington.  To claim otherwise just reeks of an agenda by Mets fans who win nothing and get their only pleasure out of puffing-up lovable losers like David Wright and Rusty Staub who think that Chad Pennington was another great player on a hard-luck team.  Look at who Pennington played with and it tells a very different story.  Chad was the weak link on that offense.  He's the one who stood in our way. 

SAR I

16 minutes ago, SAR I said:

Simple, isn't it?

It's not possible to make the playoffs in back to back years, get through two rounds of playoffs on the road in back to back years, go on a streak of 16-4 over two years, and have 5 clutch fourth quarter comebacks turning 6-10 into an 11-5 season if you don't have a good quarterback.

No one is saying Mark Sanchez was Joe Montana.  But the guy certainly was better than Chad Pennington.  To claim otherwise just reeks of an agenda by Mets fans who win nothing and get their only pleasure out of puffing-up lovable losers like David Wright and Rusty Staub who think that Chad Pennington was another great player on a hard-luck team.  Look at who Pennington played with and it tells a very different story.  Chad was the weak link on that offense.  He's the one who stood in our way. 

SAR I

Your level of trolling knows no bounds. It is a pathetic little life that you have, propping yourself up on a message board to get your kicks. 

Chad Pennington was a weak armed but efficient QB who put up good stats but could never win the big game. After multiple shoulder injuries he was no longer capable of playing in the NFL and flamed out. He "wasted" talented Jets teams.

Mark Sanchez was a bust who sucked and was never a good QB in the NFL. He also "wasted" talented Jets teams.

Both guys were ultimately failures as first round franchise QBs and neither should be revered or celebrated by Jets fans. Both guys were also seemingly good guys who don't deserve bile or scorn. They just didn't work out.

20 hours ago, SAR I said:

A mediocre quarterback who came along at exactly the wrong time, took a Parcells masterpiece of a roster and did nothing with it.  Mawae, Martin, Chrebet, Moss, Anderson, had it all and wasted it.  We cheered when he got hurt.  Hated the guy.  But some fall in love with his puppy dog face and hard luck story.  He's been Rusty Staubed.

SAR I

This really is great!  Two players Parcells overpaid and three he had nothing to do with!  While you are calling out Parcells masterful drafting you have to name players drafted and signed by Dick Steinberg and Terry Bradway? Do you tell everyone how great Leonardo Da Vinci is for painting the Sistine Chapel? 

49 minutes ago, #27TheDominator said:

This really is great!  Two players Parcells overpaid and three he had nothing to do with!  While you are calling out Parcells masterful drafting you have to name players drafted and signed by Dick Steinberg and Terry Bradway? Do you tell everyone how great Leonardo Da Vinci is for painting the Sistine Chapel? 

Bill Parcells fingerprints are all over the Jets roster, coaching staff, and front office from the moment he got here in 1996 straight through the Edwards/Pennington era.

SAR I

59 minutes ago, Joe W. Namath said:

We would have a few Super Bowls and Chad would be in the HOF if he didnt hurt his shoulder.

Unfortunate but it is what it is.  Its now Darnolds turn.

Only one problem with this Rusty Staub Revisionism:

Chad's injuries didn't prevent him from winning playoff games.  It was his inability to elevate his game in the postseason.  He regressed, in fact.  Timid as a deer.  The brighter the lights, the dimmer the quarterback.

SAR I

12 hours ago, SAR I said:

Chad's injuries didn't prevent him from winning playoff games.  It was his inability to elevate his game in the postseason.  He regressed, in fact.  Timid as a deer.  The brighter the lights, the dimmer the quarterback.

SAR I

Chad won playoff games before and after the shoulder injury. 

12 hours ago, SAR I said:

Bill Parcells fingerprints are all over the Jets roster, coaching staff, and front office from the moment he got here in 1996 straight through the Edwards/Pennington era.

SAR I

Parcells was terrible as a GM, he had a few nice FA signings but his drafting was beyond putrid 1997-1999.  He turned the franchise around b/c he's one of the greatest coaches of all time not b/c his work as a GM. he cost us Peyton, Brady and Belichick, he traded away a future HOFer in Orlando Pace for James Farrior and some draft picks.  he was an awful GM.

13 hours ago, SAR I said:

SAR I

Chad only played in 2 playoff games b4 he go hurt.  One he won in a blowout.  The second he lost on the road to a much better team.  

1 hour ago, nyjunc said:

So did a lot of bad QB's.    Chad lost to Oakland after the 41 zip game. He played poorly.  He threw what 4 picks against the Ravens when he played for the Fins?    Chad when healthy was a good QB.  He was not an elite QB and he was never going to take a team on his back.  When facing real competition in the playoffs where we lost, he played poorly even when healthy .  

1 hour ago, southparkcpa said:

So did a lot of bad QB's.    Chad lost to Oakland after the 41 zip game. He played poorly.  He threw what 4 picks against the Ravens when he played for the Fins?    Chad when healthy was a good QB.  He was not an elite QB and he was never going to take a team on his back.  When facing real competition in the playoffs where we lost, he played poorly even when healthy .  

He was an elite qb before the injury.  Every expert was saying he was the next Joe Montana.  Thats not debatable.

9 minutes ago, Joe W. Namath said:

He was an elite qb before the injury.  Every expert was saying he was the next Joe Montana.  Thats not debatable.

We have a different view on Elite.  Elite win BIG games.  He never did, never had a chance maybe but never did.

A big game is not the 41 zip game or even the Green Bay game. A big game is deep in the playoffs.  I'd say Mark won big games not Chad.

He will simply always be a "What could have been".  Example,  he was not injured when we lost to Oakland the following week.  We never won more than 10 games under Chad.

On 5/15/2018 at 9:35 PM, SAR I said:

SAR I

Oh, I thought most Jet fans thought he was this guy, that guy behind Dock.fullsizeoutput_9.jpeg

On ‎5‎/‎17‎/‎2018 at 7:18 AM, nyjunc said:

He won one playoff game after surgery and only because Nate Kaeding forgot how to kick straight

On 5/13/2018 at 11:50 PM, jetrider said:

Chad Pennington advises Baker Mayfield to remember who he is

Posted by Mike Florio on May 13, 2018, 10:11 PM EDT
gettyimages-120974223-e1526263880389.jpg
Getty Images

The Jets and Browns, among others, are breaking in rookie quarterbacks. And it’s a former Jets rookie quarterback who is working with the Browns rookie quarterback.

Yes, Chad Pennington — a first-round pick of the Jets in 2000 — is mentoring Baker Mayfield. And Pennington’s primary recommendation is surprisingly simple.

“My first piece of advice came from a place of transparency and honesty in saying that, ‘Baker, you have to remember who you are,'” Pennington told Nate Ulrich of the Akron Beacon-Journal. “‘And that is a guy who was a twice walk-on in college, and without your work ethic and your talent, you would probably be a [graduate assistant] somewhere coaching.'”

I think this is all great advice. That he has to give it makes me think Mayfield might be a disaster.

12 hours ago, Cornfed said:

I think this is all great advice. That he has to give it makes me think Mayfield might be a disaster.

Mayfield has a solid upside but also comes with some pretty big risks, both on and off the field.  I really don't think that he was the best choice among the 4 QB candidates.

Rosen has probably the biggest injury risk would need a great OL (good thing he is not here) but has a terrific upside. He also hasthe biggest "always says something stupid" risk, which could be a thorn in his team's side.  Definitely not the #1 choice here.

Allen has the biggest upside of all but of course those accuracy issues and the history of QBs with the same college accuracy make him the biggest on-the-field liability of all 4.  LOL @ all the media falling for the idea that he woould go #1.  Not even close.

Darnold has the least risk in every single area.  Off the field?  He seems like a choir boy.  His on the field risk is his carelessness with the ball.  That will be a primary focus of Bates and the coaches.  OVerall, clearly the best choice of the 4 with almost as much upside as Allen without the accuracy risks, without the Rosen injury risls and attitude and without the Mayfield "look-at-me" tendencies.  This is why he was #1 for the Jets and probably 28-29 other teams of the 4 QBs.  

We all just can't beleive that things could ever fall correctly for this bad-luck franchise.  Decades of that never happening are not easily washed away from our memories.

On ‎5‎/‎17‎/‎2018 at 8:53 AM, southparkcpa said:

The Jets lost to Oakland after the 41-0 game, Chad wasn't at his best but Oakland dominated us up front and people forget that game was 10-10 late in the 3rd.  we were a bad matchup w/ Oakland.

That Miami team had no business being anywhere near the playoffs, go look at the WRs he was throwing to in that game against that defense.

The Colts weren't real competition? neither was SD? how about beating NE ON THE ROAD which essentially decided the div title in 2002(the ONLY div title Brady hasn't won)? and NE wouldn't lose another home game until 3 seasons later.

On ‎5‎/‎17‎/‎2018 at 10:47 AM, Joe W. Namath said:

He was the 2nd best QB in the league in 2002 after Rich Gannon but to be elite I think you need to perform at that level for many years, he got hurt in preseason the next year then in 2004 was having another top year before the shoulder injury which changed his career.

On ‎5‎/‎17‎/‎2018 at 11:00 AM, southparkcpa said:

We have a different view on Elite.  Elite win BIG games.  He never did, never had a chance maybe but never did.

A big game is not the 41 zip game or even the Green Bay game. A big game is deep in the playoffs.  I'd say Mark won big games not Chad.

He will simply always be a "What could have been".  Example,  he was not injured when we lost to Oakland the following week.  We never won more than 10 games under Chad.

So peyton wasn't elite until the 2006 AFC Championship game?

Chad was only healthy for the majority of a season for us in 3 seasons- 2002, 2004 and 2006.  In those 3 seasons we made the playoffs each time, won playoff games in 2 of those seasons and won a div title(only non Brady title in history).  there is a HUGE "what could have been" had he not ruined his shoulder, if healthy who knows how far we could have gone but unfortunately his body was not meant for the NFL.

On ‎5‎/‎18‎/‎2018 at 4:14 PM, Philc1 said:

He won one playoff game after surgery and only because Nate Kaeding forgot how to kick straight

or we could say if Barton doesn't get that dumb penalty we don't need OT to win that game and Chad, WITH a torn rotator cuff in his throwing shoulder, wins that playoff game in regulation OR we can use that same excuse making and say he lost the next week b/c Doug Brien forgot how to kick.  Brien had TWO chances to win it, Kaeding only had 1.

3 hours ago, nyjunc said:

The Jets lost to Oakland after the 41-0 game, Chad wasn't at his best but Oakland dominated us up front and people forget that game was 10-10 late in the 3rd.  we were a bad matchup w/ Oakland.

That Miami team had no business being anywhere near the playoffs, go look at the WRs he was throwing to in that game against that defense.

The Colts weren't real competition? neither was SD? how about beating NE ON THE ROAD which essentially decided the div title in 2002(the ONLY div title Brady hasn't won)? and NE wouldn't lose another home game until 3 seasons later.

He was the 2nd best QB in the league in 2002 after Rich Gannon but to be elite I think you need to perform at that level for many years, he got hurt in preseason the next year then in 2004 was having another top year before the shoulder injury which changed his career.

So peyton wasn't elite until the 2006 AFC Championship game?

Chad was only healthy for the majority of a season for us in 3 seasons- 2002, 2004 and 2006.  In those 3 seasons we made the playoffs each time, won playoff games in 2 of those seasons and won a div title(only non Brady title in history).  there is a HUGE "what could have been" had he not ruined his shoulder, if healthy who knows how far we could have gone but unfortunately his body was not meant for the NFL.

or we could say if Barton doesn't get that dumb penalty we don't need OT to win that game and Chad, WITH a torn rotator cuff in his throwing shoulder, wins that playoff game in regulation OR we can use that same excuse making and say he lost the next week b/c Doug Brien forgot how to kick.  Brien had TWO chances to win it, Kaeding only had 1.

Until Peyton won a SB, he was "bottom elite".  Thats my opinion.  He is the "Greg Norman"  of the NFL.  Always will be thought of as great BUT there would be other QB's in history you might pick before him if you were going into a game and it was a MUST win.  I wont debate Chad with you. His body of work does NOT deserve any debate.  He hasn't accomplished anything worthy of debate.

1 hour ago, southparkcpa said:

Until Peyton won a SB, he was "bottom elite".  Thats my opinion.  He is the "Greg Norman"  of the NFL.  Always will be thought of as great BUT there would be other QB's in history you might pick before him if you were going into a game and it was a MUST win.  I wont debate Chad with you. His body of work does NOT deserve any debate.  He hasn't accomplished anything worthy of debate.

Peyton was never considered "bottom elite" despite all his playoff failures.

Chad didn't play long enough but he was a better QB than Eli. Eli has just played much longer

2 hours ago, Bleedin Green said:

The offense scored 3 points in that game.  THREE... POINTS.

I was using the logic that he only won the SD game because of SDs kicker, if you say that then you must say he only lost at Pitt because of his kicker.  Chad didn't get the job done that day playing with a torn rotator cuff on the road against #1 D but we had TWO chances at makeable kicks that we missed

29 minutes ago, nyjunc said:

I was using the logic that he only won the SD game because of SDs kicker, if you say that then you must say he only lost at Pitt because of his kicker.  Chad didn't get the job done that day playing with a torn rotator cuff on the road against #1 D but we had TWO chances at makeable kicks that we missed

Both kickers sucked ass, no one's disputing that, but it's only because of your predetermined agenda if you really think it's the same situation with Kaeding missing a kick in warm SD that was shorter than either of Brien's attempts in frigid Pitt, when the former's offense scored 17 points (against the #4 D, since that's apparently important) and the latter's scored 3.

In the end though, doesn't really matter much since the respective team's lost anyway.  The truth is both losing teams were very lucky to be in it that late in the game anyway.

Archived