If Bridgewater is Traded...

What if you come out of camp and the QB depth chart is 

Teddy 

McCown 

Darnold? 

I would think that you keep all 3 and see how it goes. 

It will probably sort itself out. 

If you get near the trade deadline, do you trade a starting young QB away with a 21 year old prospect for the future? 

Do you try to keep him long term and sign him to a big contract? 

I wouldn't take less than a 1st and an additional player for a QB. 

Alex Smith got a 3rd and a corner but he's older 

While it's a nice problem to have, if you **** it up it defines you 

• Replies 207
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 hours ago, Warfish said:

Safe to say Bridgeater isn't being traded now.  Jets are not rolling with a due of Darnold/McCown only, and Petty and Hack are now gone.

I agree. I’m so glad hackenberg went out in the media and basically said Todd Bowles and Mac were to blame for his lack of development. That sealed his fate. 

This is the best QB situation the Jets have had since Vinny T and Chad Pennington.  They finally got it right.  Whether Hack got a raw deal or not the Jets are where they are and they've got a really, really good mix of youth, talent and experience in that QB Room right now.  Let's not F it up all of a sudden because the Jets, perennially in search of quarterbacks and trading for them, now see QB as a positional strength and want to start trading it away.  Oh, how far we've come.  Let's let Teddy continue to recover and show what he has.  Let him marinate and bring Darnold along at the right pace, whether it's starting in Week 1, Week 5 or Week 9, just do it the right way.  Once January rolls around we can pat ourselves on the back and start trading all our Pro Bowl quarterbacks.

The Eagles are doing it right.  They have a Super Bowl MVP backup and weren't even willing to trade him for a 2nd rounder....and they have fricken Carson Wentz who has already shown he's the real deal.  No way on Earth should we be considering trading Teddy B. because we think we've solved our lifelong Quarterback riddle.

4 minutes ago, jetstream23 said:

This is the best QB situation the Jets have had since Vinny T and Chad Pennington.  They finally got it right.  Whether Hack got a raw deal or not the Jets are where they are and they've got a really, really good mix of youth, talent and experience in that QB Room right now.  Let's not F it up all of a sudden because the Jets, perennially in search of quarterbacks and trading for them, now see QB as a positional strength and want to start trading it away.  Oh, how far we've come.  Let's let Teddy continue to recover and show what he has.  Let him marinate and bring Darnold along at the right pace, whether it's starting in Week 1, Week 5 or Week 9, just do it the right way.  Once January rolls around we can pat ourselves on the back and start trading all our Pro Bowl quarterbacks.

The Eagles are doing it right.  They have a Super Bowl MVP backup and weren't even willing to trade him for a 2nd rounder....and they have fricken Carson Wentz who has already shown he's the real deal.  No way on Earth should we be considering trading Teddy B. because we think we've solved our lifelong Quarterback riddle.

We just may trade teddy too. We can’t trade McCown, because we can’t depend on teddy play or health. Hopefully we can get a decent pick for teddy

22 minutes ago, Jetsplayer21 said:

We just may trade teddy too. We can’t trade McCown, because we can’t depend on teddy play or health. Hopefully we can get a decent pick for teddy

If Teddy is healthy and playing well it makes zero sense to trade him IMO unless it's at least halfway through the season and Darnold is playing like the second coming of Carson Wentz.  Why on Earth should we trade Teddy if we need to rely on a rookie and 57 year old Josh McCown?

2 minutes ago, jetstream23 said:

If Teddy is healthy and playing well it makes zero sense to trade him IMO unless it's at least halfway through the season and Darnold is playing like the second coming of Carson Wentz.  Why on Earth should we trade Teddy if we need to rely on a rookie and 57 year old Josh McCown?

Lol. Bridgewater knee is that of a 67 yr old. He is not built to take hits either. I don’t think he wants to sit behind darnold next yr so if he doesn’t win the job why keep him ? Unless darnold is so far off they can’t trust him as the #2. I sure hope that is not the case, and that we will see him at least after the bye week in nov.  

1 hour ago, Jetsplayer21 said:

I agree. I’m so glad hackenberg went out in the media and basically said Todd Bowles and Mac were to blame for his lack of development. That sealed his fate. 

I think it's the other way around. They were in the process of trading him (which is why he got 0 reps today) and his agent told him so he buried the coaching staff in his interview because he was irked.

4 minutes ago, UntouchableCrew said:

I think it's the other way around. They were in the process of trading him (which is why he got 0 reps today) and his agent told him so he buried the coaching staff in his interview because he was irked.

It wasn’t just the interview. It seems he went off the reservation early this offseason to find better coaching and didn’t even communicate with the jets about changes he was making. He made Bowles look like an idiot who was told by the media hackenberg changed his throwing motion lol

4 hours ago, Larz said:

What if you come out of camp and the QB depth chart is 

Teddy 

McCown 

Darnold? 

I would think that you keep all 3 and see how it goes. 

It will probably sort itself out. 

If you get near the trade deadline, do you trade a starting young QB away with a 21 year old prospect for the future? 

Do you try to keep him long term and sign him to a big contract? 

I wouldn't take less than a 1st and an additional player for a QB. 

Alex Smith got a 3rd and a corner but he's older 

While it's a nice problem to have, if you **** it up it defines you 

If Teddy pans out this year, he'll be our #2 next year and McCown will be gone.

2 hours ago, Jetsplayer21 said:

It wasn’t just the interview. It seems he went off the reservation early this offseason to find better coaching and didn’t even communicate with the jets about changes he was making. He made Bowles look like an idiot who was told by the media hackenberg changed his throwing motion lol

Bowles doesnt need Hack to help him look like an idiot. It is totally hysterical that Hack did this though. lol

2 minutes ago, long suffering jets fan said:

If Teddy pans out this year, he'll be our #2 next year and McCown will be gone.

If he pans out then he's going to sign as a #1 elsewhere and Jets are stuck with ONLY Darnold and he's still developing, but IDEALLY, should be able to start. But with a poor Oline (speculated) what if he gets injured? QB depth should not be overlooked. 

Recall September 25th, 2005. 

2 hours ago, Jetsplayer21 said:

He made Bowles look like an idiot who was told by the media hackenberg changed his throwing motion lol

Really? 

1 minute ago, RSJ said:

Bowles doesnt need Hack to help him look like an idiot. It is totally hysterical that Hack did this though. lol

Thank you. 

3 hours ago, Jetsplayer21 said:

Lol. Bridgewater knee is that of a 67 yr old. He is not built to take hits either. I don’t think he wants to sit behind darnold next yr so if he doesn’t win the job why keep him ? Unless darnold is so far off they can’t trust him as the #2. I sure hope that is not the case, and that we will see him at least after the bye week in nov.  

He has 67 year old knees and doesn't want to sit behind Darnold?  Bridgewater even in the best scenario will be a backup somewhere, unless he beats out McCown  and Darnold this year which would be the best outcome for us short of Darnold winning the job outright.

10 minutes ago, Gas2No99 said:

If he pans out then he's going to sign as a #1 elsewhere and Jets are stuck with ONLY Darnold and he's still developing, but IDEALLY, should be able to start. But with a poor Oline (speculated) what if he gets injured? QB depth should not be overlooked. 

Recall September 25th, 2005. 

Bridgewater's best opportunity is with the Jets even if he is a backup.  I don't believe he has an opportunity to start anywhere else at this point.

2 minutes ago, long suffering jets fan said:

Bridgewater's best opportunity is with the Jets even if he is a backup.  I don't believe he has an opportunity to start anywhere else at this point.

Miami

Baltimore

San Diego

Washington 

Jacksonville

4 minutes ago, long suffering jets fan said:

Miami would be his best shot, but when has Miami shown any propensity to sit Tannyhill.  You can forget the others they all have established QBs who will be there till they retire.

Baltimore is an option b/c the Ravens can get out of FLacco's contract and have Bridgewater be the Bridge for Lamar Jackson, also a hedge if Lamar doesn't pan out as some "experts" proclaim. 

San Diego b/c Rivers MAY retire soon and another good situation where he can step in and replace Rivers after an injury at a cheaper contract (what Eagles did w/Vick and let McNabb go in 2011).

Redskins b/c Smith will get injured or be ineffective (JMO) and Bridgewater can be a younger upgrade. Also, Snyder ALWAYS does something to complicate his QB situation. 

3 minutes ago, RSJ said:

Would it be completely unheard of for the Jets to extend Bridgewater if he looks good in the pre season?

Sent from my iPhone using JetNation.com mobile app

I also believe in hedging your bets. QB is now a need going into 2019, there's no one under contract.

If TB bites at SOME security now (his agent will say No), I'd DEFINITELY lock him up on a 2 year deal w/an option for Year 3. The Draft is a crapshoot, Darnold may need more polish, no QBs signed after 2018; Yes. Extend him if he's willing to bite.

38 minutes ago, RSJ said:

Would it be completely unheard of for the Jets to extend Bridgewater if he looks good in the pre season?

Why would he even want to sign an extension here? Darnold is the future, period.

Besides, some of you are overrating the hell out of this guy.

Bridgewater is a textbook gamemanager who has never thrown for more than 14 TD’s in a season and that was before he damn near had to have his leg amputated.

If he’s healthy and looks competent, the Jets should flip him for a 3rd rounder in a heartbeat. The people who think we could ever get a 1st for him are straight up nanners.

No one besides the Jets even saw it fit to offer him more than $500k guaranteed just 2 months ago when he was on the open market.

Why would he even want to sign an extension here? Darnold is the future, period.
Bridgewater is a textbook gamemanager who has never thrown for more than 14 TD’s in a season and that was before he damn near had to have his leg amputated.
If he’s healthy and looks competent, the Jets should flip him for a 3rd rounder in a heartbeat. The people who think we could ever get a 1st for him are straight up nanners.

If he extends for two years he still hits free agency at 28 with possibly a couple of good years under his belt. Or is traded at 28 with a few good years under his belt. Otherwise he leaves and gets a decent contract but for probably a longer term taking him out of that sweet spot for a big long term deal.

3 minutes ago, Untouchable said:

Our OLine is too suspect as of now to expose "the future" to injury. Throw in the fact that there's no QBs under contract after this season, Darnold's game DOES need polish as well as "watch&Learn" time for AT LEAST half a season, if not more, AND the quality drop-off from Bridgewater and the rest of the FA QB market as of now is noticeable. No WAY you trade TB.

Recall Sept. 25th, 2005 - 2 QBs lost in 1 half. 2012 ring a bell when they REFUSED to play Tebow, Mark was injured and McElroy got killed? You can NEVER have enough good QBs and the Jets should not trade away QBs that have shown they can run an offense. 

17 minutes ago, Gas2No99 said:

Our OLine is too suspect as of now to expose "the future" to injury. Throw in the fact that there's no QBs under contract after this season, Darnold's game DOES need polish as well as "watch&Learn" time for AT LEAST half a season, if not more, AND the quality drop-off from Bridgewater and the rest of the FA QB market as of now is noticeable. No WAY you trade TB.

Recall Sept. 25th, 2005 - 2 QBs lost in 1 half. 2012 ring a bell when they REFUSED to play Tebow, Mark was injured and McElroy got killed? You can NEVER have enough good QBs and the Jets should not trade away QBs that have shown they can run an offense. 

If the Jets had drafted a statue like Rosen, then I’d be more worried about the OL.

The Jets OL, while certainly nothing to write home about, isn’t nearly the dire straights situation that many have made it out to be. They’re actually above average in pass protection, it’s in the run blocking department where they’ve really been subpar.

Bridgewater has absolutely no longterm future here.

Even if he proves healthy and is playing at a competent level, he sure as hell isn’t going to sign an extension when he could hit the market and potentially pull in a deal averaging $16-18 million a year.

And even if Teddy does in fact open the season as the starter...Darnold will be playing by the end of October and the Jets will look to ship him out before the trade deadline so they don’t lose him for nothing at the end of the season. We’re going to be spending big money next year so we’d be unlikely to get a comp pick for him.

And if by some sh*tacular chance both Darnold and McCown were to go down during the season...I’d rather just accept it, eat ass the rest of the year and get a higher pick to spend on a LT or passrusher come next April. Not have Teddy come in and try to claw our way to 7 or 8 wins.

Should he remain healthy I'd be very surprised if he isn't on the roster for the duration of the year. This doesn't strike me as the season to go with two QB's on the roster, they probably wont have Uncle Josh and a rookie as their only options at QB. Teddy shows some kind if value, he stays.

As for next year? Who knows. I don't know if he'll prove he's back to form, I don't know if there will be any attractive starting jobs for him, its all up in the air.

1 minute ago, Untouchable said:

If the Jets has drafted a statue like Rosen, then I’d be more worried about the OL.

The Jets OL, while nothing to write home about, isn’t nearly the dire straights situation that many have made it out to be. They’re actually above average in pass protection, it’s in the run blocking department where they’ve really been subpar.

Even if he proves healthy and is playing at a competent level, he sure as hell isn’t going to sign an extension when he could hit the market and potentially pull in a deal averaging $16-18 million a year.

And even if Teddy does in fact open the season as the starter...Darnold will be playing by the end of October and the Jets will look to ship him out before the trade deadline so they don’t lose him for nothing at the end of the season. We’re going to be spending big money next year so we’d be unlikely to get a comp pick for him.

And if by some sh*tacular chance both Darnold and McCown were to go down during the season...I’d rather just accept it, eat ass the rest of the year and get a higher pick to spend on a LT or passrusher come next April. Not have Teddy come in and try to claw our way to 7 or 8 wins.

That's why it's all trivial in the end because all this banter is merely matters of opinion depending on how one perceives the present situation. 

21 minutes ago, Untouchable said:

If the Jets had drafted a statue like Rosen, then I’d be more worried about the OL.

The Jets OL, while certainly nothing to write home about, isn’t nearly the dire straights situation that many have made it out to be. They’re actually above average in pass protection, it’s in the run blocking department where they’ve really been subpar.

You tank for QBs not tackles. 

Either way, if mccown and Darnold go down we all know not a single GM or head coach would give away the only viable QB on the roster and let the team implode for a chance at a tackle. 

Bridgewater was brought in for depth and to possibly trade if a team gets desperate. 

10 minutes ago, JoJoTownsell1 said:

You tank for QBs not tackles. 

Either way, if mccown and Darnold go down we all know not a single GM or head coach would give away the only viable QB on the roster and let the team implode for a chance at a tackle. 

Bridgewater was brought in for depth and to possibly trade if a team gets desperate. 

I’m not disputing that

We’re talking goofy hypotheticals here anyway. Obviously the Jets wouldn’t trade Teddy if both Darnold and McCown were to go down with season ending injuries before the trade deadline.

Otherwise...I think that’s exactly what they plan on doing if his knee checks out.

If he’s healthy, he’s not signing an extension here. Why would he? Especially with the batsh*t money that is being thrown around for pedestrian QB’s these days.

And if he’s not healthy, why the hell would we want to extend him anyway?

The argument for not trading him just because Darnold is the only QB under contract after this year is silly. So what? For one, like I said, he’s not re-signing here. And two, you can go sign a cheap vet like Trevor Siemian or Colt McCoy to backup Darnold. Maybe even take a flyer on a late round QB to develop on top of that.

9 hours ago, long suffering jets fan said:

I don't believe the Jets signed Bridgewater to trade him,  I believe the signed him to replace McCown next year.

totally possible, but he's probably going to walk next year to try to get an opportunity to play. If we had signed him to a 2 or more year deal I could totally see this being more likely. 

Archived