If Bridgewater is Traded...

2 hours ago, Bleedin Green said:

If I had to guess, here's the ranking of how the Jets would want to see their options at QB go, to start the season:

#1 Preference:  Darnold outright wins the starting job, without any debate or grading on a rookie curve.  He goes on to be their guy from day one and they never look back.

#2:  Darnold is not yet ready, but Bridgewater shows his health, abillity, and wins the job.  If successful enough, he can either become far more enticing trade bait, or gives them more freedom with how they choose to handle Darnold.

#3:  Worst case scenario, they have McCown in their pocket to start, if the other guys weren't able to step it up.  He won't ever be "the guy" but is clearly beloved across the board by the locker room, coaches, and front office.  He'll hold the fort while they wait for Darnold to be ready, and in the meantime they'll look to get the rest of the team stabilized (as much as they can).

Point being, while Darnold is going to be the guy sooner or later, if he's not ready to go for week 1, I'm sure they'll be quietly rooting for Bridgewater to beat out McCown.

Bridgewater is vastly overrated in these parts. The season McCown put up last year was better than anything Teddy ever did pre-injury. 

Teddy is McCown insurance in the case where they don't think Darnold is ready. That's it. Once Darnold is in the starting lineup, McCown is his mentor/backup and Bridgewater is expendable. In fact, I'd lay odds on the Jets bringing McCown back next year to continue his backup/mentor role. IMHO, Darnold is competing with McCown to be the opening day starter. I'll be impressed if Teddy can interject himself there. I don't think he can. 

Teddy is here on a one year deal, and the Jets save $5M is he's cut before opening day. Something I'd consider to be far more likely than Bridgewater starting opening day. He's not going to be on the team next year. They'll play him a lot in the preseason and listen to trade offers, and if they don't get any they like maybe they'll get a comp pick in 2020 for him. 

• Replies 207
  • Created
  • Last Reply
6 hours ago, Stark said:

Denver, Washington, Chargers... River is getting up there, A. Smith, could easily fall off without the Andy Reid offense, and Who knows what happens with Denver's QB's I don't trust any on their roster.

there is nothing saying we have to trade him this year. We can keep him around a year and try to let him build value... 

Also no one knows what could happen with any teams QB and injuries... Look at Luck in Indy, hell that guy is a huge "?" after the shoulder surgery. Anything could happen so it's tough to say today when everyone appears healthy/injury free and its May. 

Bridgewater is on a one yr deal is my understanding anyway...

40 minutes ago, slats said:

Bridgewater is vastly overrated in these parts. The season McCown put up last year was better than anything Teddy ever did pre-injury. 

Teddy is McCown insurance in the case where they don't think Darnold is ready. That's it. Once Darnold is in the starting lineup, McCown is his mentor/backup and Bridgewater is expendable. In fact, I'd lay odds on the Jets bringing McCown back next year to continue his backup/mentor role. IMHO, Darnold is competing with McCown to be the opening day starter. I'll be impressed if Teddy can interject himself there. I don't think he can. 

Teddy is here on a one year deal, and the Jets save $5M is he's cut before opening day. Something I'd consider to be far more likely than Bridgewater starting opening day. He's not going to be on the team next year. They'll play him a lot in the preseason and listen to trade offers, and if they don't get any they like maybe they'll get a comp pick in 2020 for him. 

I'm hardly blown away by Bridgewater myself, but just guessing the Jets' mindset based on their actions to this point.  If Bridgewater was never intended to be anything more than a backup, it seems extremely unlikely that their interest in him would have been at all dependent on missing out on Cousins.  Considering they would have skipped out on the rookie QBs if they had gotten Cousins, that would seem to give them even more incentive to go sign a backup.  Don't get me wrong, I won't be at all shocked if McCown is the day 1 starter, but it would hardly be the outcome they were ever shooting for (but that, of course, is 100% Darnold).

47 minutes ago, slats said:

Someone gets it.  Bridgewater stinks and is permantly injured.  He will be cut soon.

7 hours ago, JetsFanatic said:

Darnold’s progress is the only thing that should matter at this point. If Bridgewater is healthy and can play, trade him.

Alot of folks agree with you, but I don't get that line of thinking.  McCown is probably going to retire next year.  If Bridgewater is healthy and serviceable why not keep him as a backup? 

2 hours ago, Joe Jets fan said:

There is almost zero % chance Darnold is day one starter and it has nothing to do with Bridgewater. 

McCown already practicing with Spencer Long because ya know....he's the starter. 

Screen Shot 2018-05-14 at 5.36.04 PM.png

12 minutes ago, MDL_JET said:

McCown already practicing with Spencer Long because ya know....he's the starter. 

Screen Shot 2018-05-14 at 5.36.04 PM.png

of course he is.  McCown gets starter reps and darnold gets every other rep.  They will not be wasting any of these snaps on a scrub like bridgewater.

4 minutes ago, Joe W. Namath said:

of course he is.  McCown gets starter reps and darnold gets every other rep.  They will not be wasting any of these snaps on a scrub like bridgewater.

That’s what a smart coaching staff would do

50 minutes ago, Joe W. Namath said:

Someone gets it.  Bridgewater stinks and is permantly injured.  He will be cut soon.

If Bridgewater was actually healthy the Vikings would have kept him.  They didn’t. Not even as a backup

We signed Bridgewater for virtually nothing, and we are not an especially attractive destination.  If anyone wanted Bridgewater this offseason they could have had him for just money.

Now if he plays well in preseason, and a team suffers a major QB injury, maybe there would be interest.  But not before then.  

4 minutes ago, jpoppy717 said:

We signed Bridgewater for virtually nothing, and we are not an especially attractive destination.  If anyone wanted Bridgewater this offseason they could have had him for just money.

Now if he plays well in preseason, and a team suffers a major QB injury, maybe there would be interest.  But not before then.  

That's what it would take to trade him, a good camp and a down starting qb somewhere else. If the former happened without the latter I'd expect them to keep him around for the season.

10 hours ago, Long Island Leprechaun said:

It has been suggested that if Bridgewater is healthy he could become trade bait and we might land someone to fill a critical hole. Here's a prospective roster from Ourlads

http://www.ourlads.com/nfldepthcharts/depthchartpos/QB

Which teams, in your judgment, are likely trading partners and what would we potentially get in return?

Looks to me like Bridgewater's best place would be QB2 unless we hold out for an injury replacement deeper in the season. If his best option is QB2, what would the likely cost be if the Jets held on to him past this year?

If he plays for us and shows signs of the old Teddy B then he could be worth a nice return (maybe a 2nd rounder?).  IIRC, I think he's still only like 25 years old so he could potentially be some other team's starter for a while.  As for which team would trade for him, it's very difficult to predict.  An injury to a team's starter could cause a team to trade for him (think of the Sam Bradford Vikings trade).

13 hours ago, Joe W. Namath said:

There no place for making sense around here.  Please get back to talk of how we are going to get a 2nd round pick for teddy.

2nd?  We should be asking the giants to give us Barkley straight up for Bridgewater 

Right now the Jets (on paper) have the best QB room since Vinny and Chad, no reason to rush anything, let it play out, no need to make big changes until preseason (unless you get an offer, you can't refuse)

Great experience for Sam competing with others in the room; Experienced NFL career back up, Promising young QB career halted due to injury and a 2nd round bust with all of the "measurables"

All will work as hard as Sam to make it and this should drive Sam to work harder realizing how close you can come and still not make it - he has to prove that none of them have his potential or confidence, he cannot have the job handed to him, he has to earn it twice (in coaches and the players minds) so he can lead the team - I want to hear McCown say "Sam is ready and has earned this opportunity"

and I am willing to wait since that will really signal "the moment that the Jets shifted into a new gear" as the Jets CEO Christopher Johnson so eloquently mentioned 

Bridgewater's injury was brutal, and he may never be the same. However, if he returns to form, the Jets are sitting in a really good place. Just like the Garcia signing, it is no risk, potential high reward. This is what smart, progressive teams do. 

We're in the dog days of the offseason, so why not engage in "what if's"? 

What if Teddy is completely healed, and back to form? I don't think a trade has to come from a team with an injured QB. I think it could come from a team looking for their next franchise QB. San Diego, Jacksonville, Cincinnati, New Orleans, etc. It helps us that next years draft, seems to be a down year for the QB's. 

What if Teddy isn't fully recovered, or never finds his way back to form? He was signed to a no risk, 1 year deal, and the Jets simply move on. In the meantime, they have another solid citizen to help Darnold in his quest to be great. Bridgewater, like McCown, is a great teammate, and could be a positive influence for the rookie.

The ideal situation, is to give Teddy and Sam the bulk of preseason snaps, and hope he shines. 

22 hours ago, Fantasy Island said:

I like to play golf.  I have a 2 iron that I never use.  Do I keep that club in the bag or do I replace it with a hybrid I will use.  The 2 iron is in the basement.  Hack is a waste of a spot.  JoJo Natson has more purpose than Hack.

Ok. So you are suggesting they carry 2 QBs instead of 3. That's a fair enough argument. I was assuming they keep 3. In which case, holding on to Hack is not a terrible idea. 

Let's say you try out that  2 iron you never use and it does wonders to your game. Aren't you glad you held on to it? lol ?  

On 5/14/2018 at 10:13 AM, MDL_JET said:

Teddy would have to play and show a lot for any team, I think, to want to trade for him. And that might not even happen. I think he has a better chance of being cut then being traded.

That’s the reality. If hackenberg looks decent he won’t be cut. You know Mac doesn’t want to admit how big of a bad pick he was. He also could be the 3 next yr for a cheap price. McCown may retire, and teddy isn’t coming back to jets either way. 

4 minutes ago, Jetsplayer21 said:

That’s the reality. If hackenberg looks decent he won’t be cut. You know Mac doesn’t want to admit how big of a bad pick he was. He also could be the 3 next yr for a cheap price. McCown may retire, and teddy isn’t coming back to jets either way. 

I hated Hackenberg last year as a 2nd round pick we needed to produce.  This year, I love him.  Totally different expectations.  Cheap, and young enough where if something clicks, maybe we have something.  Hes the perfect 3rd string qb this year.  He is a lock to make this team.

Teddy would have value if he goes through pre-season healthy and a team needs a starter due to injury. And you know that is going to happen. A team will pay a lot more if they have playoff ability and they are without a starting Qb. The problem with the Jets is McCown if he plays is very injury prone esp at his age. When he plays he's average to above average. It was a surprise to me last year when he lasted as long as he did. He still got injured anyways and couldn't start the last 3 games. 

This is not the Bradford/Wentz/Foles scenario.

The Eagles had a good team and kept multiple QBs.  They knew they did not need Bradford if they were starting Wentz and had Foles.  

The Jets should not expect to compete this year.  Bridgewater on a one-year contract is really a luxury.  They should take whatever they can get for him in a trade.  

4 minutes ago, Joe W. Namath said:

Young, cheap and has a pedigree where although unlikely, maybe he figures it and becomes something.  Hack is the perfect number 3 qb for this team this year.

The best possible paths for Mac and Hack at this point are:

• QB3 in 2018, and 
    • QB2 in 2019, leading to compensatory pick
    • QB 2 in 2019 and then cheap QB 2 contract (<$2mm/year)
    • Trade in 2019 for pick in 2019 and 2020

The Jets are on the clock, right now, for Darnold's most competitive window-when he is on a rookie contract.  They need to take advantage of this.  Mac has 4 years to build the team with cheaper draft picks after he blows the farm on FAs next year to help Darnold be a top team from 2019-2022.  

2 hours ago, Joe W. Namath said:

Young, cheap and has a pedigree where although unlikely, maybe he figures it and becomes something.  Hack is the perfect number 3 qb for this team this year.

Hack has a pedigree for what? Sucking?

23 minutes ago, Philc1 said:

Hack has a pedigree for what? Sucking?

You are not getting it.  We understand Hack sucks.  We understand theres a 99% chance he never amounts to anything.

But the guy has all the physical tools to succeed.  So you give him one more year on a cheap contract and see if a miracle happens and he puts it together.

Remember, he is not a 2nd round pick who should become our franchise qb now.  He is a 3rd string, cheap qb that is a bargain if something clicks this year.

59 minutes ago, Joe W. Namath said:

You are not getting it.  We understand Hack sucks.  We understand theres a 99% chance he never amounts to anything.

But the guy has all the physical tools to succeed.  So you give him one more year on a cheap contract and see if a miracle happens and he puts it together.

Remember, he is not a 2nd round pick who should become our franchise qb now.  He is a 3rd string, cheap qb that is a bargain if something clicks this year.

Coaching staff wouldn’t even let Hack get reps at the end of a lost season when we had to worst Qb situation in the league. Give up the dream.

Archived