If Bridgewater is Traded...

17 hours ago, varjet said:

This is not the Bradford/Wentz/Foles scenario.

The Eagles had a good team and kept multiple QBs.  They knew they did not need Bradford if they were starting Wentz and had Foles.  

The Jets should not expect to compete this year.  Bridgewater on a one-year contract is really a luxury.  They should take whatever they can get for him in a trade.  

Are you sure?

Bradford/Teddy= Egg

Foles/McCown= 1 hit wonder JAG

Wentz/Darnold= Young star who rejuvenates the franchise, parts the red sea and turns water into wine? Cures sick babies, makes every man's d*ck bigger with every touchdown pass and wives boobies get curvier and larger with each 1st down. Each will take their team to their first superbowl win in the modern era.

Same, Same

• Replies 207
  • Created
  • Last Reply
18 hours ago, varjet said:

This is not the Bradford/Wentz/Foles scenario.

The Eagles had a good team and kept multiple QBs.  They knew they did not need Bradford if they were starting Wentz and had Foles.  

The Jets should not expect to compete this year.  Bridgewater on a one-year contract is really a luxury.  They should take whatever they can get for him in a trade.  

The Eagles didn't really have a good team.  They had just been subject to the Chip Kelly/Howie Roseman power struggle and went 7-9.  They were starting over with a new staff.  They also didn't keep multiple QBs, they signed them. I don't think they had a QB on the roster at the start of offseason 2016 - and they didn't keep more than 2 for very long.  They did show the ability to bluff that they'd keep them and I think the Jets should do the same, but probably, as you say, take whatever they can get.

Foles wasn't actually a big part of the "scenario."   They traded Foles for Bradford in 2015.  Then they signed Bradford to a big 2 year deal (2/$36M) in 2016.  They signed Chase Daniel to a ridiculous deal (3/$21M) to be the backup.  Then they traded up for Wentz and Bradford started whining - and got his wish when Bridgewater went down.  They signed Foles back and cut Daniel the next offseason.  

12 minutes ago, #27TheDominator said:

The Eagles didn't really have a good team.  They had just been subject to the Chip Kelly/Howie Roseman power struggle and went 7-9.  They were starting over with a new staff.  They also didn't keep multiple QBs, they signed them. I don't think they had a QB on the roster at the start of offseason 2016 - and they didn't keep more than 2 for very long.  They did show the ability to bluff that they'd keep them and I think the Jets should do the same, but probably, as you say, take whatever they can get.

Foles wasn't actually a big part of the "scenario."   They traded Foles for Bradford in 2015.  Then they signed Bradford to a big 2 year deal (2/$36M) in 2016.  They signed Chase Daniel to a ridiculous deal (3/$21M) to be the backup.  Then they traded up for Wentz and Bradford started whining - and got his wish when Bridgewater went down.  They signed Foles back and cut Daniel the next offseason.  

All good points. 

My intended point, although not clearly made, was that I thought it was worth more to have a pick in 2019, or perhaps a good player, than to have Bridgewater on the roster.   I thought the Jets were better off with Darnold, Hack and McCown, and a pick, than Darnold, McCown and Bridgewater.  

For a second round to end up a quality backup is not an awful result.  It would be great if Hack, on his rookie contract, could make that work.  

For Mac to milk more out of this job, he can basically spend next off season like crazy on proven FAs while he benefits from Darnold's rookie contract.  To not have to pay a real backup QB would be an even bigger bonus-relying on a 40 year old McCown to do that next year for $10mm would be playing with fire.  

Hack as a decent backup who can run the same plays as Darnold (they are similar physically) has huge upside.  Of course, this may be completely delusional if Hack continues to be incapable of even the simplest of things.  Maybe Darnold rubs off on him.  

But if Hack does not look remotely decent in mini-camp, I think this is hopeless. 

11 minutes ago, varjet said:

All good points. 

My intended point, although not clearly made, was that I thought it was worth more to have a pick in 2019, or perhaps a good player, than to have Bridgewater on the roster.   I thought the Jets were better off with Darnold, Hack and McCown, and a pick, than Darnold, McCown and Bridgewater.  

For a second round to end up a quality backup is not an awful result.  It would be great if Hack, on his rookie contract, could make that work.  

For Mac to milk more out of this job, he can basically spend next off season like crazy on proven FAs while he benefits from Darnold's rookie contract.  To not have to pay a real backup QB would be an even bigger bonus-relying on a 40 year old McCown to do that next year for $10mm would be playing with fire.  

Hack as a decent backup who can run the same plays as Darnold (they are similar physically) has huge upside.  Of course, this may be completely delusional if Hack continues to be incapable of even the simplest of things.  Maybe Darnold rubs off on him.  

But if Hack does not look remotely decent in mini-camp, I think this is hopeless. 

Fair enough.  My responses:

I think Hackenberg being a good backup is a pipe dream.  He hasn't seen the field. I do not know of any players that have spent 2 healthy seasons riding the bench that amounted to being worth a roster spot.

I agree that Bridgewater does not seem to be the future, so we are probably better off spinning him for other assets. I will say that if we hold him and he proves healthy he may amount to a comp pick in 2020.. That wouldn't be a bad result for the investment either- particularly since we have so much cap space. 

8 minutes ago, varjet said:

They are. 

The biggest concern with McCown is his durability. So the question for the Jets is how soon do they want to start Darnold? If he's the opening day starter, or they have plans to start him by week #5, they could pretty safely get away with Darnold/McCown/Hack (maybe even with Hack on the practice squad). If they want to start McCown for an extended period, or even the whole season, because they don't think Darnold is going to be ready for anything more than garbage time duty this year, they probably will want to hold onto Bridgewater rather than being forced to play Darnold prematurely. 

Now, I'm of the opinion that Darnold should/will play sooner rather than later, making Bridgewater expendable. 

I also don't feel they'd have to rely on Hack for any (or much) playing time in any case. There are free agent QBs still out there right now with starting experience (like Mark Sanchez!), and if the Jets found themselves in a desperate situation there's always someone out there. Of course, if the Jets are in a desperate situation, they should just play Hack and see if he improves with live bullets flying over his head. I don't see this team contending. 

6 minutes ago, #27TheDominator said:

I agree that Bridgewater does not seem to be the future, so we are probably better off spinning him for other assets. I will say that if we hold him and he proves healthy he may amount to a comp pick in 2020.. That wouldn't be a bad result for the investment either- particularly since we have so much cap space. 

With all that cap space, it will probably be difficult to sign fewer free agents than they lose in order to qualify for a comp pick. Being that any comp pick for Teddy would probably be in the fifth round range at best, they'd be wise to listen to any real (read: not conditional) offers for him. Bird in the hand and all that. 

4 minutes ago, slats said:

With all that cap space, it will probably be difficult to sign fewer free agents than they lose in order to qualify for a comp pick. Being that any comp pick for Teddy would probably be in the fifth round range at best, they'd be wise to listen to any real (read: not conditional) offers for him. Bird in the hand and all that. 

I do not think it is necessarily that hard.  Regular FAs, like Trumaine Johnson count against your comp picks, but plenty of other big names are cap casualties and don't count.  OTOH, you are absolutely correct, the Jets should be buyers again in 2019.  It doesn't seem the Jets have guys that will be getting snaps elsewhere. 

I totally agree they should listen to any and all offers. OTOH, they don't want to seem desperate to move him.  That is how you get played (see Decker, Eric)

3 minutes ago, #27TheDominator said:

I do not think it is necessarily that hard.  Regular FAs, like Trumaine Johnson count against your comp picks, but plenty of other big names are cap casualties and don't count.  OTOH, you are absolutely correct, the Jets should be buyers again in 2019.  It doesn't seem the Jets have guys that will be getting snaps elsewhere. 

It's potentially doable, but it would require a designed plan to get it done. This is where having a John Idzik behind the scenes could be useful. Maccagnan hasn't shown any interest in taking advantage of the comp pick system, let alone manipulating it. 

On ‎5‎/‎15‎/‎2018 at 5:36 PM, Joe W. Namath said:

You are not getting it.  We understand Hack sucks.  We understand theres a 99% chance he never amounts to anything.

But the guy has all the physical tools to succeed.  So you give him one more year on a cheap contract and see if a miracle happens and he puts it together.

Remember, he is not a 2nd round pick who should become our franchise qb now.  He is a 3rd string, cheap qb that is a bargain if something clicks this year.

Oh okay I guess in one more TC and preseason he will learn how to read NFL defenses and throw and then we can flip him for multiple first round picks.  Got it

On ‎5‎/‎16‎/‎2018 at 10:00 AM, slats said:

They are. 

The biggest concern with McCown is his durability. So the question for the Jets is how soon do they want to start Darnold? If he's the opening day starter, or they have plans to start him by week #5, they could pretty safely get away with Darnold/McCown/Hack (maybe even with Hack on the practice squad). If they want to start McCown for an extended period, or even the whole season, because they don't think Darnold is going to be ready for anything more than garbage time duty this year, they probably will want to hold onto Bridgewater rather than being forced to play Darnold prematurely. 

Now, I'm of the opinion that Darnold should/will play sooner rather than later, making Bridgewater expendable. 

I also don't feel they'd have to rely on Hack for any (or much) playing time in any case. There are free agent QBs still out there right now with starting experience (like Mark Sanchez!), and if the Jets found themselves in a desperate situation there's always someone out there. Of course, if the Jets are in a desperate situation, they should just play Hack and see if he improves with live bullets flying over his head. I don't see this team contending. 

Just let McCown start the season and play until he gets hurt which he will and then go to Darnold.  Having Bridgewater around confuses things and takes away reps from Darnold

I cant believe we are still talking about Bridgewater.  He is going to get cut very soon.  He cant play and wasnt any good when he could play.  Talking about getting a second or third round pick for this guy is laughable.
Bridgewater didn't stink, but he also wasn't nearly as good as many here seem to think, and he certainly wasn't on the "can't-miss" trajectory some seem to think he was on. He was up and down, with reason to have hope but no sure thing.

On 5/15/2018 at 1:49 PM, Rangers9 said:

Teddy would have value if he goes through pre-season healthy and a team needs a starter due to injury. And you know that is going to happen. A team will pay a lot more if they have playoff ability and they are without a starting Qb. The problem with the Jets is McCown if he plays is very injury prone esp at his age. When he plays he's average to above average. It was a surprise to me last year when he lasted as long as he did. He still got injured anyways and couldn't start the last 3 games. 

What I’m thinking. But teddy won’t net more than a 6th or 7th round pick until he plays 3-4 games and shows he can A) play healthy in full contact real games, b) play well. 

Which brings aninteresting decision. If teddy and McCown are both looking good in camp, McCown is going to have a greater trade value. Based on his stats last yr, on the jets especially. Here is a dream scenario. Maybe mac trades McCown end of training camp, let bridgewater play up until trade deadline, up his value and trade him also if his knee holds up and can still ball. 

What I’m thinking. But teddy won’t net more than a 6th or 7th round pick until he plays 3-4 games and shows he can A) play healthy in full contact real games, B) play well. 
Which brings aninteresting decision. If teddy and McCown are both looking good in camp, McCown is going to have a greater trade value. Based on his stats last yr, on the jets especially. Here is a dream scenario. Maybe mac trades McCown end of training camp, let bridgewater play up until trade deadline, up his value and trade him also if his knee holds up and can still ball. 
Sam bradford landed the eagles a first round pick and he had proven that he gets injured easily year after year. Bridgewater had one nasty injury but he is still young and still has a lot of upside. Oh and let's not forget his current contract is very very affordable.

Sent from my [device_name] using http://JetNation.com mobile app

16 minutes ago, Jetsplayer21 said:

What I’m thinking. But teddy won’t net more than a 6th or 7th round pick until he plays 3-4 games and shows he can A) play healthy in full contact real games, b) play well. 

Overall if healthy Teddy is a better Qb than McCown. And McCown is also injury prone esp at his age. I was surprised he lasted in 2017 until the last 3 games. I have no prob starting Darnold from game 1. I think he can be competitive while he learns and is capable of winning games.

2 minutes ago, bealeb319 said:

Sam bradford landed the eagles a first round pick and he had proven that he gets injured easily year after year. Bridgewater had one nasty injury but he is still young and still has a lot of upside. Oh and let's not forget his current contract is very very affordable.

That’s all true. But Bradford didn’t have his knee basically torn off his leg. There is also a reason why his contract is as you say “ very very affordable.” Obviously nobody else thought that much of him. Jets gave him bottom dollar and can still cut him before the start of yr without cap charge. No risk to jets at all. Once the season starts that is a different story ? Teams are on the hook for his 5 mil ? The same teams who did not jump and down at all to sign the guy for 5 mil non guaranteed just to try out. 

2 minutes ago, Jetsplayer21 said:

That’s all true. But Bradford didn’t have his knee basically torn off his leg. There is also a reason why his contract is as you say “ very very affordable.” Obviously nobody else thought that much of him. Jets gave him bottom dollar and can still cut him before the start of yr without cap charge. No risk to jets at all. Once the season starts that is a different story ? Teams are on the hook for his 5 mil ? The same teams who did not jump and down at all to sign the guy for 5 mil non guaranteed just to try out. 

i wish the Jets were able to add say 500k to the guaranteed portion of the deal (1mm total) in exchange for adding a second year at say $10-15mm.

3 minutes ago, Rangers9 said:

Overall if healthy Teddy is a better Qb than McCown. And McCown is also injury prone esp at his age. I was surprised he lasted in 2017 until the last 3 games. I have no prob starting Darnold from game 1. I think he can be competitive while he learns and is capable of winning games.

There is a reason why we were able to sign bridgewater to a junk contract with little risk to jets. There was no value out there for him. That won’t change after a few scrimmages.  McCown was signed for 10 mil guaranteed. Teams looking for short term qb do not care much about age.  It’s what you did lately. 

Just now, batman10023 said:

i wish the Jets were able to add say 500k to the guaranteed portion of the deal (1mm total) in exchange for adding a second year at say $10-15mm.

Well I’m sure bridgewater wants to go somewhere next yr where he has a chance to start if he can resurrect his career. He knew this yr was his only chance to start for jets.

Teddy signed pretty quickly with us I am not sure his agent shopped him around a whole lot either way if he looks good through training camp there will be a few teams interested and more interest when someone loses their starting qb

On 5/14/2018 at 10:30 AM, The Crimson King said:

Two things need to happen:

1. He shows that he is healthy enough to play in pre season games in which case it might not be surprising to see him win the starting job

2. Hackenberg shows that he has improved significantly in his time in pre season 

Odds on the former are undeterminable until camp starts. Odds on the latter are fairly low. Odds on both, well, I wouldn't bet the rent money 

You should try buying a home...... You'll thank me later.

1 minute ago, Jetsplayer21 said:

Well I’m sure bridgewater wants to go somewhere next yr where he has a chance to start if he can resurrect his career. He knew this yr was his only chance to start for jets.

i know i totally get it.   but Teddy hasn't made that much money in his career so far and was hoping an extra 500k would be a big deal for him.  

Just now, bealeb319 said:

Teddy signed pretty quickly with us I am not sure his agent shopped him around a whole lot either way if he looks good through training camp there will be a few teams interested and more interest when someone loses their starting qb

Im sure they looked all winter. Most guys just know where they can go, what their options are by start of FA. Why even cousins signed so quick too. 

My point is his value could jump considerably   higher than a 6th or 7th rounder if he plays a few games and looks good. He has to prove he can be both healthy and play well. 

Im sure they looked all winter. Most guys just know where they can go, what their options are by start of FA. Why even cousins signed so quick too. 
My point is his value could jump considerably   higher than a 6th or 7th rounder if he plays a few games and looks good. He has to prove he can be both healthy and play well. 
It is already higher than a 6th or 7th I would think. A lowball for him for a team who needs a qb and missed on one in the draft would likely be a 4th as is

Just now, bealeb319 said:

It is already higher than a 6th or 7th I would think. A lowball for him for a team who needs a qb and missed on one in the draft would likely be a 4th as is

Lol I wish. But I’m being realistic. Any team could have given him a better offer than the jets. They didn’t. Why would they all of a sudden give up a 4th, when they easily could have had for zero draft picks? If he can play 3 games without getting hurt, and play well, he could fetch a 4th probably. That is far far away though. 

25 minutes ago, Jetsplayer21 said:

I think you are understating Bradfords injury history. He has had multiple surgeries and to both knees. Bridgewater's 1 knee injure was gruesome and worse than Bradford, but Bradford has the worst knees in the league. Also take into account that Bradford had a year of playing before he was traded for that 1st round pick. We are essentially in a similar position, we are the team signing Bridgewater and if he proves healthy and mobile there will be a team that will make a move for him if they need a QB. Point being that if a team, or in this case 2 teams, would trade for a highly injury prone Bradford after he showed he was healthy... the same would apply to Teddy. We are taking a low risk chance and lose nothing if Teddy is not able to show form worthy of a starting QB, but even then he could have value to us as a backup or we let him walk. That's  only thing this is. Buy low, potential to sell for a "profit" in draft capital.

23 minutes ago, Jetsplayer21 said:

Lol I wish. But I’m being realistic. Any team could have given him a better offer than the jets. They didn’t. Why would they all of a sudden give up a 4th, when they easily could have had for zero draft picks? If he can play 3 games without getting hurt, and play well, he could fetch a 4th probably. That is far far away though. 

we were also one of his best shots to be playing.  that had to be a factor in his decision.

2 minutes ago, Stark said:

I think you are understating Bradfords injury history. He has had multiple surgeries and to both knees. Bridgewater's 1 knee injure was gruesome and worse than Bradford, but Bradford has the worst knees in the league. Also take into account that Bradford had a year of playing before he was traded for that 1st round pick. We are essentially in a similar position, we are the team signing Bridgewater and if he proves healthy and mobile there will be a team that will make a move for him if they need a QB. Point being that if a team, or in this case 2 teams, would trade for a highly injury prone Bradford after he showed he was healthy... the same would apply to Teddy. We are taking a low risk chance and lose nothing if Teddy is not able to show form worthy of a starting QB, but even then he could have value to us as a backup or we let him walk. That's  only thing this is. Buy low, potential to sell for a "profit" in draft capital.

I wasn’t sure of the circumstances. Was he still in the rookie deal ? Ect. It doesn’t really matter Either way. You are right it took a “ whole yr “ for teams to see Bradford play before his value was there. Obviously we lose teddy for nothing letting him play The whole yr. 

What we do know is teddy signed a very low 1 yr deal for 6 mil with only 500k guaranteed. That means he had zero to very little interest. He didn’t come to the jets because he loves it here, or because mac is such a great negotiator. He must have also knew jets were signing McCown too. Who would have a leg up, and was probably certain jets would draft a qb at 3. I am surprised he chose here knowing all that. That must mean he really didn’t have any other options. That won’t change much until he gets  a bunch of real NFL games under his belt. 

Bradford had played for a year before he netted the first, but the Eagles had traded Foles a 4th and a 2nd the following year for Bradford and a 5th.  That was after he missed all of 2014.  He even got hurt in 2015 - missing a couple of games.  They got the 1st for him after he signed a market value deal with the Eagles.  Bottom line - healthy QBs that can win are worth something. 

47 minutes ago, Jetsplayer21 said:

There is a reason why we were able to sign bridgewater to a junk contract with little risk to jets. There was no value out there for him. That won’t change after a few scrimmages.  McCown was signed for 10 mil guaranteed. Teams looking for short term qb do not care much about age.  It’s what you did lately. 

McCown's contract is pretty good. 10 mil for a guy who might not start and is injury prone.  Teddy gets 6 mil but if he plays it goes up at least 2.5 more if he takes 50% of snaps. http://www.spotrac.com/nfl/new-york-jets/teddy-bridgewater-14441/ 

3 minutes ago, Rangers9 said:

McCown's contract is pretty good. 10 mil for a guy who might not start and is injury prone.  Teddy gets 6 mil but if he plays it goes up at least 2.5 more if he takes 50% of snaps. http://www.spotrac.com/nfl/new-york-jets/teddy-bridgewater-14441/ 

McCown’s 10 million is also fully guaranteed. So if teddy’s Only goes up with playing time, he has to clearly beat out the returning starter. Otherwise they aren’t going to throw millions. Teddy is still considered the Much more injury prone 1. Everybody is injury prone behind the jets line lol.

It’s all a guessing game right now. Will be a interesting August with the 3 qbs.

10 minutes ago, Rangers9 said:

Looking at that it is $2.5M if he takes 50% of the total snaps AND they make the playoffs, but he gets $250K for each game he takes 50% of the snaps - meaning if he starts all year he gets another $4M.

18 minutes ago, Jetsplayer21 said:

I wasn’t sure of the circumstances. Was he still in the rookie deal ? Ect. It doesn’t really matter Either way. You are right it took a “ whole yr “ for teams to see Bradford play before his value was there. Obviously we lose teddy for nothing letting him play The whole yr. 

What we do know is teddy signed a very low 1 yr deal for 6 mil with only 500k guaranteed. That means he had zero to very little interest. He didn’t come to the jets because he loves it here, or because mac is such a great negotiator. He must have also knew jets were signing McCown too. Who would have a leg up, and was probably certain jets would draft a qb at 3. I am surprised he chose here knowing all that. That must mean he really didn’t have any other options. That won’t change much until he gets  a bunch of real NFL games under his belt. 

I understand what you are saying. I am just pointing out that Bradford has a worse injury history and that he was traded after playing 7 games in: 2013 then not stepping on the field in 2014. I guess my point is anything is possible and you can't rule out the possibility of trading him after the post-season or even mid-season. Here is Bradford's seasons and games played. The year he went to Min, he didn't play a full season again. 

Screen Shot 2018-05-22 at 2.33.42 PM.png

2 hours ago, bealeb319 said:

If Bridgewater looks good in the first couple preseason games we would get as high as a first.

Archived