If Bridgewater is Traded...

On 5/14/2018 at 8:54 AM, varjet said:

Bridgewater is from the Miami area.

Dolphins or Jaguars?

I think its a 2nd or 3rd in 2019, which would be great.  

Hopefully a third. Do you really wanna see another Stephen Hill/Devin Smith/Hack/ that fugly ass OL?

• Replies 207
  • Created
  • Last Reply
On ‎5‎/‎22‎/‎2018 at 2:41 PM, 32EBoozer said:

You should try buying a home...... You'll thank me later.

uh … you do know that is the old saying, right?, not I wouldn't bet the mortgage payment or I wouldn't be the school tax payment etc. etc. 

and for the record, as a home owner for several decades, I do remember the benefits of renting: 

1. No effort to maintain

2. Easy to move into and out of

3. No risk of value falling below mortgage balance

4. Wife doesn't think so much about remodeling and upgrades. Saves many a visit to Porcelanosa and such places.

5. Wife doesn't think so much about remodeling and upgrades. Saves hours of having to hear about plans to do so. 

6. Wife doesn't think so much about remodeling and upgrades. Saves a veritable fortune. 

5 minutes ago, The Crimson King said:

uh … you do know that is the old saying, right?, not I wouldn't bet the mortgage payment or I wouldn't be the school tax payment etc. etc. 

and for the record, as a home owner for several decades, I do remember the benefits of renting: 

1. No effort to maintain

2. Easy to move into and out of

3. No risk of value falling below mortgage balance

4. Wife doesn't think so much about remodeling and upgrades. Saves many a visit to Porcelanosa and such places.

5. Wife doesn't think so much about remodeling and upgrades. Saves hours of having to hear about plans to do so. 

6. Wife doesn't think so much about remodeling and upgrades. Saves a veritable fortune. 

Uh, you do know what’s sarcasm is right? Older than your saying. Sorry you spent so much effort trying to save face. ?

On 5/23/2018 at 8:43 AM, Joe W. Namath said:

Bridgewater is not a good qb.  Bridgewater has a bum knee that will not hold up.

Thinking you are getting any type of draft pick for bridgewater is lunacy.  Get real.

First - I don't want to the Jets to trade him this year. Worry about him in 2019.

However - they just got a 7th round pick for a 3rd year QB who is about the same age who never attempted a pass in a regular season game.

Assuming no further injuries, If the Jets try to trade Bridgewater, they will get something (player or pick) for him

5 minutes ago, CTJetsFan said:

First - I don't want to the Jets to trade him this year. Worry about him in 2019.

However - they just got a 7th round pick for a 3rd year QB who is about the same age who never attempted a pass in a regular season game.

Assuming no further injuries, If the Jets try to trade Bridgewater, they will get something (player or pick) for him

If you don't want to trade him this year, how are the Jets going to get anything?  He's on a 1-year deal.  The Jets signed him to a market value contract.  Every team had the same opportunity - why would they suddenly want him now at a price they would not pay in March? 

15 minutes ago, #27TheDominator said:

If you don't want to trade him this year, how are the Jets going to get anything?  He's on a 1-year deal.  The Jets signed him to a market value contract.  Every team had the same opportunity - why would they suddenly want him now at a price they would not pay in March? 

You're right. My bad.

Where my mind was going was the Jets would at least have options on him in 2019 (tagging) by keeping him for the 2018 season.

Let's assume for a second that McCown goes into coaching in 2019. Why not re-sign Bridgewater (we have a metric ton of cap space) and go into the 2019 off-season with Darnold and Bridgewater (assuming Bridgwater has a healthy 2018)?

What Bridgewater will command on the open market in 2019 will depend on if he gets a chance to play in 2018 and what he shows.

6 minutes ago, CTJetsFan said:

You're right. My bad.

Where my mind was going was the Jets would at least have options on him in 2019 (tagging) by keeping him for the 2018 season.

Let's assume for a second that McCown goes into coaching in 2019. Why not re-sign Bridgewater (we have a metric ton of cap space) and go into the 2019 off-season with Darnold and Bridgewater (assuming Bridgwater has a healthy 2018)?

What Bridgewater will command on the open market in 2019 will depend on if he gets a chance to play in 2018 and what he shows.

Why would Bridgewater stay?  I keep hearing "tagging" thrown around - the figure to tag a QB will be around $27M.  I do not see it as financially feasible.  Honestly, even if he is our starter and looks very good, i balk at that figure.

12 minutes ago, #27TheDominator said:

Why would Bridgewater stay?  I keep hearing "tagging" thrown around - the figure to tag a QB will be around $27M.  I do not see it as financially feasible.  Honestly, even if he is our starter and looks very good, i balk at that figure.

Fair points but as far as I'm concerned, none of that needs to be decided until 2019. Jets control him for 2018 at a max cost of $10 million (I think that's what he gets if on roster opening day)

I can't get my head around the fact that for the first time in years we potentially have 2 young franchise QBs on our roster (still TBD) and people want to trade 1 of them.

Keeping Bridgewater for 2018 at least gives us some options for 2019.

For the record - I think the Jets jumped the gun on trading Hack only for the reason that it would have given them another young QB under a cheap contract for 2019 (even though I was surprised they got something for him)

1 hour ago, CTJetsFan said:

A conditional 7th round pick. If he doesn’t make the team it’d nothing. But please. Dong brag about a 7th round pick for a guy who was just picked in the middle of the 2nd round 2 years ago lol. Raiders won’t be bad with John gruden and their qb back. It’s basically first rights to a UDFA lol. 7th rounders hardly ever made the team 

1 hour ago, CTJetsFan said:

Fair points but as far as I'm concerned, none of that needs to be decided until 2019. Jets control him for 2018 at a max cost of $10 million (I think that's what he gets if on roster opening day)

I can't get my head around the fact that for the first time in years we potentially have 2 young franchise QBs on our roster (still TBD) and people want to trade 1 of them.

Keeping Bridgewater for 2018 at least gives us some options for 2019.

For the record - I think the Jets jumped the gun on trading Hack only for the reason that it would have given them another young QB under a cheap contract for 2019 (even though I was surprised they got something for him)

Bridgewater is walking away from here after this season. The thinking is, why not get something out of him before he does? We could wait for the comp pick, whatever it is. That won’t come until 2020 though. Unless bridewater turns out to be not so good, will he be open to staying with jets next yr

14 minutes ago, Jetsplayer21 said:

Bridgewater is walking away from thd here after this season. The thinking is, why not get something out of him before he does? We could wait for the comp pick, whatever it is. That won’t come until 2020 though. Unless bridewater turns out to be not so good, will he be open to staying with jets next yr

Is that a Freudian slip lol? Did you mean something out of him or something for him?

I'm all for getting something out of him in 2018?

7 minutes ago, CTJetsFan said:

Is that a Freudian slip lol? Did you mean something out of him or something for him?

I'm all for getting something out of him in 2018?

Something for him. For the 19 draft, not 2020. 

Im all for letting him compete for the starting job. I’m rooting for the kid, he may end up being 3rd on the depth chart though and won’t play for jets this yr. Nobody is trading for him unless he somehow did win the starting job, proved he is healthy, and can play well. This isn’t a dome where qb stats are always jacked up. This is met life where you better watch your junk behind this OL ha.  But I would like to see him get into some games, who knows. 

In a earlier post you mentioned 2019 also. Was why curious why you included bridewater in 2019 plans when he is here on a cheap 1 yr deal ?

9 minutes ago, Jetsplayer21 said:

Something for him. For the 19 draft, not 2020. 

Im all for letting him compete for the starting job. I’m rooting for the kid, he may end up being 3rd on the depth chart though and won’t play for jets this yr. Nobody is trading for him unless he somehow did win the starting job, proved he is healthy, and can play well. This isn’t a dome where qb stats are always jacked up. This is met life where you better watch your junk behind this OL ha.  But I would like to see him get into some games, who knows. 

In a earlier post you mentioned 2019 also. Was why curious why you included bridewater in 2019 plans when he is here on a cheap 1 yr deal ?

I guess I'm operating under the assumption that if he stays healthy, plays for us and shows positive, that the Jets would try to hold onto him given the amount of cap space. I don't like the idea of going into 2019 with just Darnold (assuming 2018 is McCown's last year as a player)  if he doesn't play much or struggles in 2018.

43 minutes ago, Jetsplayer21 said:

Bridgewater is walking away from here after this season. The thinking is, why not get something out of him before he does? We could wait for the comp pick, whatever it is. That won’t come until 2020 though. Unless bridewater turns out to be not so good, will he be open to staying with jets next yr

I'd rather have bridgewater for a year than a conditional 6th or 7th or whatever he's worth at this moment. Sometimes we need to stop trying to overthink it. 

I guess I'm operating under the assumption that if he stays healthy, plays for us and shows positive, that the Jets would try to hold onto him given the amount of cap space. I don't like the idea of going into 2019 with just Darnold (assuming 2018 is McCown's last year as a player)  if he doesn't play much or struggles in 2018.

Lol and why would he want to do that ? Assuming he has more options then JUST the jets next offseason. He will want a multi-yr deal. Starter pay. Jets won’t give him that. I’d imagine he would want to go to a offensive first team, one that 1 a OL invested in protecting qb knees lol. Again not the jets. 

Sometimes you must think what the player is thinking is best for him, not just as a jet fan thinking what is best for the jets lol

10 minutes ago, Jetsplayer21 said:

Lol and why would he want to do that ? Assuming he has more options then JUST the jets next offseason. He will want a multi-yr deal. Starter pay. Jets won’t give him that. I’d imagine he would want to go to a offensive first team, one that 1 a OL invested in protecting qb knees lol. Again not the jets. 

Sometimes you must think what the player is thinking is best for him, not just as a jet fan thinking what is best for the jets lol

Again, he's an insurance policy. What if Darnold (god forbid) suffers a Wentz like injury in 2018? You bet the Jets would pay him if he shows anything positive in that case.

As Darksider said, I'd rather have him on the roster in 2018 for that reason than a conditional 6th or 7th round pick in 2019 at this point.

It's cool if you feel differently, but I'm not going to agree with ya.?

Again, he's an insurance policy. What if Darnold (god forbid) suffers a Wentz like injury in 2018? You bet the Jets would pay him if he shows anything positive in that case.

As Darksider said, I'd rather have him on the roster in 2018 for that reason than a conditional 6th or 7th round pick in 2019 at this point.

This would make more sense if they weren't paying Josh McCown $10M

9 minutes ago, CTJetsFan said:

Lol ya I actually agree with that. Because it’s the only realistic option anyway ? lol. How is darnold going to get hurt if teddy and McCown are playing this yr. Falling off the bench ? Lol. Since people are already grading bridewater after 2 OTAs lol. It should be noted darnold looks to be as much as a rookie who needs time to polish as what the experts said. 

3 minutes ago, #27TheDominator said:

Not saying that was a smart move (for that $ amount), but they didn't know how the draft was going to turn out at that time. Plus we have the cap space to absorb that for 2018. Prior to the draft, we had McCown, Bridgewater, Petty & Hack. In that light, signing Bridgewater made absolute sense. With Petty & Hack gone, if they'd ideally like Darnold sit and learn, keeping Bridgewater is a no-brainer.

3 minutes ago, Jetsplayer21 said:

Lol ya I actually agree with that. Because it’s the only realistic option anyway ? lol. How is darnold going to get hurt if teddy and McCown are playing this yr. Falling off the bench ? Lol. Since people are already grading bridewater after 2 OTAs lol. It should be noted darnold looks to be as much as a rookie who needs time to polish as what the experts said. 

He could get hurt in a pre-season game too.

If Bridgwater looked iffy in OTAs, Hack would still be here.

1 minute ago, CTJetsFan said:

He could get hurt in a pre-season game too

Don’t say that bro ?. You better not be rooting for that to happen just so jets bring bridgewater back ? ha. I’m sure Vegas has odds how long Bridgewater will stay healthy though ha

Just now, Jetsplayer21 said:

Don’t say that bro ?. You better not be rooting for that to happen just so jets bring bridgewater back ? ha. I’m sure Vegas has odds how long Bridgewater will stay healthy though ha

Helll no. Do'n't even go there. But this is football and s*%t happens.....especially to the Jets lol.

I'd love for Darnold to show he can be the man come opening day but I'm a realist.

On May 23, 2018 at 12:18 AM, Untouchable said:

If the Jets had drafted a statue like Rosen, then I’d be more worried about the OL.

The Jets OL, while certainly nothing to write home about, isn’t nearly the dire straights situation that many have made it out to be. They’re actually above average in pass protection, it’s in the run blocking department where they’ve really been subpar.

Bridgewater has absolutely no longterm future here.

Even if he proves healthy and is playing at a competent level, he sure as hell isn’t going to sign an extension when he could hit the market and potentially pull in a deal averaging $16-18 million a year.

And even if Teddy does in fact open the season as the starter...Darnold will be playing by the end of October and the Jets will look to ship him out before the trade deadline so they don’t lose him for nothing at the end of the season. We’re going to be spending big money next year so we’d be unlikely to get a comp pick for him.

And if by some sh*tacular chance both Darnold and McCown were to go down during the season...I’d rather just accept it, eat ass the rest of the year and get a higher pick to spend on a LT or passrusher come next April. Not have Teddy come in and try to claw our way to 7 or 8 wins.

So if Bridgewater is starting and the Jets are winning games, they'll trade him?  Right.

35 minutes ago, #27TheDominator said:

I really dont think it matters what Mccown is or isnt making.

We have a top 3 rookie QB (arguably the best QB to come out since Andrew Luck), a former 1st round pick who is 25, and a veteran who can play above average football if needed - all for about $22 million in 2018.

Derek Carr, Flacco, and Stafford are all making over $24 million themselves.  Its a position that is expensive, whether you are a star or simply a decent veteran like case keenum ($16 million alone).  We have skill, depth, experience and upside in our room at below market value.  If we slightly overpaid for Mccown to be a defacto QB coach who cares, we didnt miss out signing Reggie White because of it.

13 minutes ago, detectivekimble said:

So if Bridgewater is starting and the Jets are winning games, they'll trade him?  Right.

Yeah

They just traded 3 2nd round picks to obtain Darnold.

They aren’t letting him rot on the bench in favor of a guy who when healthy is basically a lesser Alex Smith dipped in chocolate and has no future here whatsoever.

3 minutes ago, Untouchable said:

Yeah

They aren’t letting him rot on the bench in favor of a guy who when healthy is basically a lesser Alex Smith dipped in chocolate and has no future here whatsoever.

"dipped in chocolate"?  um......   the inference from that may not go over well... but whatever.

9 minutes ago, BCJet said:

I really dont think it matters what Mccown is or isnt making.

We have a top 3 rookie QB (arguably the best QB to come out since Andrew Luck), a former 1st round pick who is 25, and a veteran who can play above average football if needed - all for about $22 million in 2018.

Derek Carr, Flacco, and Stafford are all making over $24 million themselves.  Its a position that is expensive, whether you are a star or simply a decent veteran like case keenum ($16 million alone).  We have skill, depth, experience and upside in our room at below market value.  If we slightly overpaid for Mccown to be a defacto QB coach who cares, we didnt miss out signing Reggie White because of it.

I hate this line of reasoning.  We have a bargain in Darnold (we hope), so it is okay to overpay McCown?  We actually missed out signing lots of people, including Cousins.  This smacks of the "Fitzpatrick is our starter, so he is a bargain at slightly less than good starting QB money."  He wasn't, and neither is McCown. I care.  If McCown isn't good enough to spot start or carry the torch until Darnold is ready we had no business giving him that money. 

10 minutes ago, #27TheDominator said:

I hate this line of reasoning.  We have a bargain in Darnold (we hope), so it is okay to overpay McCown?  We actually missed out signing lots of people, including Cousins.  This smacks of the "Fitzpatrick is our starter, so he is a bargain at slightly less than good starting QB money."  He wasn't, and neither is McCown. I care.  If McCown isn't good enough to spot start or carry the torch until Darnold is ready we had no business giving him that money. 

According to the article that was posted about the behind the scenes of drafting Darnold, we went and signed McCown AFTER the Jets were told Cousins was signing with Miinn. Bridgewater wasn't signed and they didn't know if he would check out medically. All we had were Hack & Petty under contract

Yeah
Bridgewater is better than Alex Smith and much younger, he has a long career ahead of him in the nfl if he can stay healthy. Also someone on the forums is defiantly going to take offense to the dipped in chocolate part and there is honestly no reason to describe him in that way...

Sent from my [device_name] using http://JetNation.com mobile app

5 minutes ago, CTJetsFan said:

According to the article that was posted about the behind the scenes of drafting Darnold, we went and signed McCown AFTER the Jets were told Cousins was signing with Miinn. Bridgewater wasn't signed and they didn't know if he would check out medically. All we had were Hack & Petty under contract

I don't have a problem with signing McCown when they did, though I still think it was too much money. Better too many than too few.  My point is, if they go into the season with all 3 healthy and playing well, it is a waste of resources and they should try to spin one of the vets off for assets. There is some value to having a good #3 QB, but it is not much.  The cap space means they can make some deals other teams can't - like moving some of McCown's salary to bonus and sending him to a team with a stud QB coming back later in the season (something like GB last year, he should have won more than Hundley).

Archived