Anybody in Hawaii or traveling there soon?

jetstream23

We've got a vacation planned in a few weeks to Maui, not the Big Island, so my understanding is that we should be okay given the volcano situation.  But I'm still trying to get a sense of the impact, if any, to the other islands.   Has anybody been there in recent weeks or planning to go soon?  If we were heading to the Big Island I'd be seriously contemplating canceling/postponing the trip.

should be no impact.  Maui has its own volcano, Haleakala (sp?).  Many years ago, I think 30 yrs ago, my wife and I went horseback riding on the old lava flow which is actually quite beautiful and now has now lush greenery and wildlife.  The stables were south of the Maui Intercontinental, beyond all the hotels on what was then an unpaved dirt road.  There are some cattle farms there too and they let the bulls and cows roam free.  Watch out for males during mating season, they will push anything out of the way to get to the cows!  The ride was a blast.  If you opt to do this, choose the sunset ride...  It is SPECTACULAR!  The lava flow is on the west side, about 20-30 minutes south of the overly commercialized Kanapaali. 

p.s.  take a pass on the trip up to the summit of Haleakala.  You have to get up at like 4 in the morning and it is really a waste of time.  You'll wish you did something else with all that time to get up to the top and back down.  Meh.

• 3 weeks later...
On May 14, 2018 at 9:18 PM, jetstream23 said:

We've got a vacation planned in a few weeks to Maui, not the Big Island, so my understanding is that we should be okay given the volcano situation.  But I'm still trying to get a sense of the impact, if any, to the other islands.   Has anybody been there in recent weeks or planning to go soon?  If we were heading to the Big Island I'd be seriously contemplating canceling/postponing the trip.

You can visit the Big Island and find accommodations no problem. Just stay away from the small area of Puna that's affected. I have friends there in all parts. They say the news is very misleading. Life is normal on most of the island. I plan to visit Kona this summer so I asked the same questions. 

Just got back from Maui.  Great trip!  I do have some friends going to the Big Island next week though.  Still looks dicey but just in the southeast near Kilauea and the Puna area. But I agree, if you're not near there you should be in good shape.

On 5/15/2018 at 7:34 PM, batman10023 said:

So I thought mama fish house was overrated. Thought it was just okay versus the cost.

we really liked the mill house.  About the same cost or slight cheaper than mama but we thought food was more interesting and tasty. 

Mama's was expensive and maybe slightly overrated but I though the food was excellent.  Ate there on Saturday night.

IMG_2006.jpg  We

9 hours ago, jetstream23 said:

Mama's was expensive and maybe slightly overrated but I though the food was excellent.  Ate there on Saturday night.

IMG_2006.jpg  We

Nice.  Where did you stay in Maui?  

Any other good good places to eat for our next trip there. 

3 hours ago, batman10023 said:

Nice.  Where did you stay in Maui?  

Any other good good places to eat for our next trip there. 

We stayed at the Westin in Kaanapali.  It’s just north of Lahaina which is a great little town with lots of shops and restaurants.  Check out Kimo’s which is another great restaurant.  Also, a place called Monkeypod in Whaler’s Village was great.  It’s new, about 8 months old I think.

Maui was great.  Have fun!

19 hours ago, jetstream23 said:

We stayed at the Westin in Kaanapali.  It’s just north of Lahaina which is a great little town with lots of shops and restaurants.  Check out Kimo’s which is another great restaurant.  Also, a place called Monkeypod in Whaler’s Village was great.  It’s new, about 8 months old I think.

Maui was great.  Have fun!

Thanks for the ideas.  Appreciate it

3 hours ago, batman10023 said:

Thanks for the ideas.  Appreciate it

Of course, anytime!  And if you’re looking for some fun snorkeling trips or island excursions try either Trilogy of Blue Water Maui.  Both outfits are well run and we had a great time with each.  Last year we snorkeled the Molokini Crater which was phenomenal.  This year we went to Lanai and snorkeled off the coast in two different spots. We saw lots of sea turtles and had a pod of dolphins swimming with us on the way back right alongside the boat.  Phenomenal.

Archived