Can the Jets win the division this year?

Maxman

Last year I spent a lot of time in the offseason saying the Jets would be better than everyone thought. I mentioned that they would start off good and well blah blah blah. Some of it was for fun, some of it was honestly because I didn't believe the Jets roster was as bad as the experts predicted.

The Jets roster last year was bad at QB and OLine.  I am hoping Darnold starts from day one. And the Oline still needs work, but I am excited to see what the change in philosophy brings. They need more talent, but I think the results will be much better with Crowell leading the charge.

Which brings me to the point of this thread. Can the Jets win the division this year? Obviously the Jets are building for 2019 and beyond. And the real determing factor here will be what happens to the Patriots. They are going to implode at some point. Does that happen this year?

The Jets aren't going to win 12 games, but if the Pats come back to life and the division can be had for 10 wins, I think the Jets will be in the mix.

What do you think?

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply
12 minutes ago, Maxman said:

Last year I spent a lot of time in the offseason saying the Jets would be better than everyone thought. I mentioned that they would start off good and well blah blah blah. Some of it was for fun, some of it was honestly because I didn't believe the Jets roster was as bad as the experts predicted.

The Jets roster last year was bad at QB and OLine.  I am hoping Darnold starts from day one. And the Oline still needs work, but I am excited to see what the change in philosophy brings. They need more talent, but I think the results will be much better with Crowell leading the charge.

Which brings me to the point of this thread. Can the Jets win the division this year? Obviously the Jets are building for 2019 and beyond. And the real determing factor here will be what happens to the Patriots. They are going to implode at some point. Does that happen this year?

The Jets aren't going to win 12 games, but if the Pats come back to life and the division can be had for 10 wins, I think the Jets will be in the mix.

What do you think?

Yes, they can.

No, they probably won't.

Yes, they can finish second over Buffalo and Miami, and make the playoffs this year.

No.

Because McCown will start and the team will merely be competitive meaning Bowels leaves him in.

That means finishing 8-8 7-9

Darnold wont see action till 2019 and that actually may be the best thing for him.

Unless.......Josh gets hurt and Teddys leg falls off.

Only then will The Crimson Conqueror (yes The Crimson Conqueror you heard it here first) will debut but they still wont win enough this season to overtake the NEP.

But the next season will be the one!!!

Everyone turns to the QB, and OL when talking about the Jets chances for success.  IMO both are not the main issue preventing the Jets from contending for the division, or a playoff spot.  It’s the Bowles/Rogers Defense that gets zero pressure, and creates very little turnovers, now if somehow Bowles gets the D to play like the old Cardinals defenses he coached this Jets team will be making a run at the playoffs regardless of who is starting at QB IMO, and Bowles has zero excuses with Johnson, Claiborne, Adams, Maye, Lee, Leo, Williamson to name a few high drafted, and/or high paid FA’s starting on that defense.  If this D is shyte again Bowles HAS to be fired!

12 minutes ago, Lupz27 said:

Everyone turns to the QB, and OL when talking about the Jets chances for success.  IMO both are not the main issue preventing the Jets from contending for the division, or a playoff spot.  It’s the Bowles/Rogers Defense that gets zero pressure, and creates very little turnovers, now if somehow Bowles gets the D to play like the old Cardinals defenses he coached this Jets team will be making a run at the playoffs regardless of who is starting at QB IMO, and Bowles has zero excuses with Johnson, Claiborne, Adams, Maye, Lee, Leo, Williamson to name a few high drafted, and/or high paid FA’s starting on that defense.  If this D is shyte again Bowles HAS to be fired!

I haven't been nearly as tough on Bowles as most everyone - I like him..

With that said - he now has everything he's asked for...this is HIS defense now - they've spent the picks and FA money on his guys...no more excuses.  I don't want to hear - well the offense stinks, defense is getting tired etc...  

His defense better be VERY good this year or I'll agree, he needs to go.

I think this roster is far better than last years roster that managed to win 5 games. We had a very young team that will likely improve based solely on being a year older and more experienced. The additions also helped solidify some holes. 

We are improved at RB (Crowell), WR (Enunwa/Pryor), OL (loss of Johnson and addition of Long, healthy Winters, Shell with another year of experience), QB Darnold/Bridgewater over Petty/Hack. On Defense we are significantly better at DB (with Trumaine Johnson and Adams/Mayes no longer rookies), DL (no more Mo Wilk/healthy Williams and additions of Anderson and 2 rookies), LB is pretty much a wash with Williamson replacing Davis. 

The only area where we MAY take a step back is TE. While I liked ASJ, he only put up 357 yards of receiving and 3 Tds. Those numbers shouldn't be too hard for a combo of Leggett/Herndon/Walford/Tomlinson/Sterling to match. Sterling did manage 5/74 in the final game of the season with Petty at QB. That's more yards than ASJ had in any 1 game last year. 

I wouldn't bet on us winning the division, but it's not crazy in the NFL to find a young/hungry team take the next step rather quickly. Last year the Jags and Rams O/Us were 6/6.5.

If everything goes right, and I mean everything, we’ll challenge for a wild card with this roster especially because we’re in the AFC. I just want to see if Darnold is the goods this year when he’s ready to play, that should be our top priority as fans. 

30 minutes ago, UntouchableCrew said:

The Pats are basically a lock for 12 wins, they've won 12 or more for 8 straight years. I can't imagine any scenario where we win more games than they do.

I don't think a wild card is out of the question though.

agreed !.. as long as brady stays healthy... the pats will keep winning    ?

16 minutes ago, The Crusher said:

Division is a stretch unless the Patriots somehow shoot themselves in the dick. But if Sam gets in and gets the flow later in the season maybe a playoff birth. Maybe?

2002 REDUX!

I’m always very optimistic at this time of year. The Jets are loaded with young talent. And they tend to play with heart and pride rather than for their next contract. They also have some maturing and mature vets in the mix which is a good thing. Yes they can win the division. With Brady entering his 40’s, he’s one hit away from watching the games from the sidelines and they don’t have a Jimmy G to back him up. They lose Brady and all is lost for NE. They got a shot for sure if things fall into place and we get a couple breaks... for a change. We actually played some tough football last year and we’re in most of the games. Had a lot of penalties that killed many good drives, had a few bad calls. If they could clean it up on the field, get some wins under their belt, build confidence as the season progresses, yeah they can do it.

2 hours ago, FidelioJet said:

Unless Brady gets hurt the Pats will win 13 games.

If Brady gets hurt early the Jets are as good as any other team in the division and can certainly win the division.

13 games ? In the regular season ? Lol. Brady may take a nose dive. He has been very lucky, but no qb has ever played great after 40 no? Either this yr or next it’s coming. 

4 hours ago, Maxman said:

What do you think?

what i think is the nfl is hard to predict because the teams are usually equally matched, talent wise.  the jets talent is not as bad as many would think.  they don't have any scary good players (yet) but at the same time many scary good players are products of the system they are playing in.  in time the jets will make their own guys.  as for the division, i can see them easily taking buffalo and miami and splitting with the patsies. that's 5 wins right there.  another 5+ out of the remaining 11 is not out of the question.  it's going to depend on bowles getting the team to play good football for 60 minutes, not give away any points, win the turnover battle.  a plus would be if bowles defense finally plays as advertised.  he's supposed to be a defensive guru and given the resources on that side of the ball, they should be top ten.

the bottom line is if the defense is top ten, the offense plays well enough, and the special teams don't give up long returns or td's we could be looking at 10+ wins.

Archived