Can we talk receivers?

Pointdexter

I think enunwa is a bit overrated by Jets nation because he was the only decent wr 2 yrs ago. And I can't expect a heck of a lot after the injury he went through. Good player but far from great.

Richie Anderson is a ticking time bomb, and more of a one-trick pony than he is a complete receiver. Ok, but not great.

Neither Hansen or Stewart showed much in their rookie seasons.

I like Kearse as a role player.

Bottom line is not much with this group. Definitely nothing to be excited about. Now that we've gone all in on Darnold, I would think the next step is making a major commitment to upgrade this group next off-season. 

• Replies 206
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Anderson is a young player that has gotten better each year. 

Kearse should be as solid as he was last year

Enunwa had 800yds receiving in 2016 and appears to be healthy. 

Pryor had a 77/1K year receiving in 2016 with Mccown. Things didn't click in Washington and he may  have been dealing with a foot injury.  

Last years rookies could emerge in the same way it took Enunwa a year or 2 to emerge. Unless you are Julio Jones, it usually takes a year or 2 for rookies to acclimate to the NFL (see how the Rookie WRs drafted in the 1st round did last year). 

Really depends on whether you are a glass half empty or or half full kind of guy.   

Totally disagree. While the Jets have no true #1 receiver, they have a lot of very good ones that can play various roles. Q is a big, physical receiver that can play either in the slot or on the outside. Anderson can stretch the field, and Kearse is a great route runner with soft hands. We don't quite know what we have yet with Herndon or Leggett, but if one of them turns out to be good we should have a very solid - and underrated - receiving corps. Hopefully Hansen or Stewart show something in camp.

Jets have 4 legit at worse #2 guys Anderson , Enunwa, Kearse, Pryor ..  while they don’t have go to #1 they aren’t hurting at position barring injury .  And Anderson is still developing he could very well grow into a #1. 

Hansen and Stewart  we will see what we have there . Heard great things about Hansen coming along in practice towards the end of last season . Hopefully one of them can break out . 

Enunwa is not over rated if he plays like he did 2 years ago he is decent. The kid is not an elite player but he blocks well which means he is a valuable tool to help darnold get used to the nfl. ( again if he is still the same player he was) Robbie Anderson is highly over rated on the forums the kid is mediocre in my opinion. Rest of the guys are a bridge till we get someone else.

Sent from my [device_name] using http://JetNation.com mobile app

The thing about Anderson is his ability to break deep and get open. This is not a small thing, not too many receivers have that talent. It was supposed to be Devin Smith's job he did it at Ohio State. Darnold to Anderson could be a big deal and win us a lot of games. As for Q he's a very good player and if healthy can give us consistent output. I think some of our other young receivers like Hanson, Stewart and Peake are NFL caliber. They should find employment in the NFL somewhere. Of course we have Pryor and Kearse and Kearse imo could be our most productive receiver in 2018. He's a good player. And a leader.

All of this really depends on how whiny of a fan you are. If you’re less whiny then you see a good receiving corp that could be one of the deepest in the league if all things break correctly. That means Anderson continues to develop beyond being an elite deep threat which he already is, it mean Enunwa returns to form, and Hansen and Stewart develop. 

If you’re average whiny then it’s an average set of role players that are good enough if the QB is good enough.

If you’re super whiny then all the players are jags and individual talent not group composition matters. You see that it’s a group made up of later drafts picks and since you didn’t see these players in mock drafts you think they’re all maxed on potential.

Jet fans need to stop rating WR's by name recognition and more by
skills / production.  If Enunwa & Pryor are healthy they will have a
very nice top 4 at the position:

Enunwa - had 58 catches for 857 yards and 4 TD's in 2016 (last healthy year)

Anderson - had 42 catches for 587 yards and 2 TD's in 2016
           had 63 cathces for 941 yards and 7 TD's in 2017

Pryor - had 77 catches for 1007 yards and 4 TD's in 2016 (last healthy year)

Kearse - had 65 catches for 810 yards and 5 TD's in 2017

And all of those stats are from QB's like Fitzpatrick & McCown.  How much better
will they produce if Darnold becomes what we all hope for

There are some who would be giddy if the Jets signed Dez Bryant because of his
"name".  But playing behind one of the best OLine's in the league, with a good
young QB and a big time RB check out his stats:

http://www.espn.com/nfl/player/stats/_/id/13215/dez-bryant

He can't seperate anymore and his hands are shaky.  Name recognition doesn't
equate to talent

58 minutes ago, Kleckineau said:

A top QB can make a good 2 into a very good 1.

A top qb can make a good 3 into a 2, but not a 2 to 1. A natural 1 talent has the freakish speed, size, hands, ect. The pats lacked a true number 1 past few years ( not talking TE) Brady was the top qb in the game and even he could not make his core WRs number ones. They all lacked the top physical ability. But they always have some great 2’s. 

1 hour ago, Scoop24 said:

Jets have 4 legit at worse #2 guys Anderson , Enunwa, Kearse, Pryor ..  while they don’t have go to #1 they aren’t hurting at position barring injury .  And Anderson is still developing he could very well grow into a #1. 

Hansen and Stewart  we will see what we have there . Heard great things about Hansen coming along in practice towards the end of last season . Hopefully one of them can break out . 

I don't know about 4 legit # 2 guys.  I would say that if a teams top 5 receivers averaged a 3, the Jets are probably 2.5-their 4 and 5 are 3s, but they have no 1.  

2 hours ago, Pointdexter said:

I think enunwa is a bit overrated by Jets nation because he was the only decent wr 2 yrs ago. And I can't expect a heck of a lot after the injury he went through. Good player but far from great.

Richie Anderson is a ticking time bomb, and more of a one-trick pony than he is a complete receiver. Ok, but not great.

Bottom line is not much with this group. Definitely nothing to be excited about. Now that we've gone all in on Darnold, I would think the next step is making a major commitment to upgrade this group next off-season. 

This crap again.  "Robby is a one-trick pony."

I cannot fathom how any of you think that... I want to tell you how ridiculous this makes you look in a less polite way, but I will bite my tongue.

Robby demonstrated that he can run any route and be successful.   He separates with ease.  He wins contested balls.  He beats double teams.  What the hell else do you want from him?!?!?  Other than to stay out of trouble that is...

Anderson for a deep threat,  Enunwa in an almost TE role (big body possession type guy), Kearse in the slot. Sounds like a good diverse group to me. The wco usually features routes at all 3 levels on a given play. If you ask me, the Jets have acquired guys to fit perfectly.

1 hour ago, KRL said:

There are some who would be giddy if the Jets signed Dez Bryant because of his
"name".  But playing behind one of the best OLine's in the league, with a good
young QB and a big time RB check out his stats:

http://www.espn.com/nfl/player/stats/_/id/13215/dez-bryant

He can't seperate anymore and his hands are shaky.  Name recognition doesn't
equate to talent

I wouldnt take a single Rep away from Chad Hansen to give to Dez Bryant and im sorry if the casual fan things thats nuts, its true.

Our WR group is deep, young and has tremendous upside, especially the very underrated Jermaine Kearse.  Kearse has legit NFL Size, good hands, good speed and an understanding of how to get open.

With his ability holes in the defense, Anderson's ability to stretch the defense and Enunwa's size to work the middle of the field, I think we are going to see the play of this group elevate with a QB like darnold and his ability to buy time and throw accurately once the play has broken down.

1 hour ago, Jetsplayer21 said:

A top qb can make a good 3 into a 2, but not a 2 to 1. A natural 1 talent has the freakish speed, size, hands, ect. The pats lacked a true number 1 past few years ( not talking TE) Brady was the top qb in the game and even he could not make his core WRs number ones. They all lacked the top physical ability. But they always have some great 2’s. 

And a crap QB can make a 1 into a 2 and even though I rarely banged a 10,  I had 2 - 5's in one night 10 times.

The Jets have plenty of receiving weapons for Dawnold. It is actually better to have 4 good number 2 recievers than a 1,2 and 3. That number 1 will be crying for the ball all the time. I like our group and think they are underrated as a group.

4 minutes ago, Kleckineau said:

And a crap QB can make a 1 into a 2 and even though I rarely banged a 10,  I had 2 - 5's in one night 10 times.

Lol cool story bro ? Well as we saw, a strong Oline can make nick folk look like tom Brady. A terrible line can make a great qb look bad. Darnold led the nation in turnovers last yr after having a amazing Soph yr because he had a sh*tt line. He lost 3 OL, and both starting wideouts after his Soph yr. You support your qb with a strong line, and good recievers. This isn’t madden PlayStation where the qb is all that matters.

2 hours ago, Scoop24 said:

At worse?  Not quite.  Enunwa and Pryor have only had one decent season each.  Only Pryor has topped 1,000 yards out of the bunch.  They generally catch a fairly low percentage of their passes.

Anderson may face a suspension, but IMO has the best chance to be a lead WR.  He has

Kearse has had a few decent years, but last season was his best ever and he had been playing with Russell Wilson.  He was more of a 2/3 behind Baldwin and Lockette and really a 3/4 because Jimmy Graham was really one of their top 2 while Kearse played. 

Pryor had a sh*t year with Cousins - he wasn't  the #2 in DC.  His tweet about his ankle gives hope, but that was not the story-line here.  Believe me, I read the papers.  To get his 1,000 yards (barely) in 2016 he required 140 targets.  He catches a very low percentage of his targets and not many TDs.  He will also be 29 well before the season starts.  It is a young man's game. 

Enunwa was really #3 on the Jets in 2016. If he is healthy he is useful, but his injury was career threatening and he is no sure thing.  He also is not a very efficient WR

1 hour ago, KRL said:

Jet fans need to stop rating WR's by name recognition and more by
skills / production.  If Enunwa & Pryor are healthy they will have a
very nice top 4 at the position:

Enunwa - had 58 catches for 857 yards and 4 TD's in 2016 (last healthy year)

Anderson - had 42 catches for 587 yards and 2 TD's in 2016
           had 63 cathces for 941 yards and 7 TD's in 2017

Pryor - had 77 catches for 1007 yards and 4 TD's in 2016 (last healthy year)

Kearse - had 65 catches for 810 yards and 5 TD's in 2017

And all of those stats are from QB's like Fitzpatrick & McCown.  How much better
will they produce if Darnold becomes what we all hope for

See above.  I agree that we don't need to add a name, but you want to go by production and by production you have two guys that had 2 okay seasons, 2 years ago and did nothing last year.  The WR corps is not packed with can't miss guys.  It is also not a group that is necessarily greater than the sum of its parts.  These guys all got a huge amount of targets to get the numbers you posted. Kearse was the only one that was even remotely efficient. 

I am hopeful, but this seems more like a quantity over quality group.  They are also all FAs (unrestricted, I think) for 2019. 

3 hours ago, Pointdexter said:

Thank you. It seems that JN has an afinity for pretending we have a talent on offense. @shuler82 and @F.Chowds need cold nutsacks served to them for butt-fumbling a legit (and quite honestly, diplomatic post).
You missed Pryor though -- but regardless we're an injury or suspension away from having (again) one of the league's worst WR corps.

• No WR1
  • no promising X we're developing
  • our two best incumbents are coming off arrests and IR

There's a reason why early mocks already have the Jets looking at D. Samuel in the 1st round next year. You homers best recognize. 

3 hours ago, Scoop24 said:

This is the exemplar of homer-vision.... has all the symptoms of sleepwalking through assessment. 

• "developing"
  • "could"
  • "should"
  • Player X did ___ 2 years ago
  • "see what we have there"
  • and my favorite; "hopefully"

4 hours ago, Pointdexter said:

@TomShane are you drunk posting again?

Here's the real assessment:

• a 29 year old converted QB who has 1 productive season as a WR
  • a journey man slot WR who can do the job.
  • a talented, yet irresponsible ticking time bomb - overvauled by fans. You can't plan for his future with NYJ
  • A guy who broke his neck & has 1 good season. He's a big hit away from retiring.
  • 2 complete question marks from mid rounds last year. Wouldn't cast a stone their way in 2019

We need to looking for our long term X and Z... belie' dat

3 hours ago, bealeb319 said:

Enunwa is not over rated if he plays like he did 2 years ago he is decent. The kid is not an elite player but he blocks well which means he is a valuable tool to help darnold get used to the nfl. ( again if he is still the same player he was) Robbie Anderson is highly over rated on the forums the kid is mediocre in my opinion. Rest of the guys are a bridge till we get someone else.

Sent from my [device_name] using http://JetNation.com mobile app

Robby Anderson is far from over rated. I don't get how you could think a player like him is mediocre. Yes, he has his character flaws, but the kid can ball. He improved a lot from his rookie year, so I think he will continue to grow and become a better player on and off the field. So, yeah he's a good player and very far from mediocre! 

Archived