Can we talk receivers?

Pointdexter

• Replies 206
  • Created
  • Last Reply
13 hours ago, joewilly12 said:

I had the same surgery in 2010 I feel the same way I did prior to the surgery it hasn't effected my life, I'm not in the NFL but he should be fine as many NFL players have had cervical spinal fusions my surgeon even did a few he told me. 

Enunwa plays WR in the nfl and the reason he was good is he’s a physical WR he’s not Marvin Harrison running out of bounds every time Peyton Manning throws to him.  Enunwa draws contact after the catch that’s his game

You cannot count on Enunwa never getting injured again

7 hours ago, Philc1 said:

Enunwa plays WR in the nfl and the reason he was good is he’s a physical WR he’s not Marvin Harrison running out of bounds every time Peyton Manning throws to him.  Enunwa draws contact after the catch that’s his game

You cannot count on Enunwa never getting injured again

Ok Dr.Philc1 

6 hours ago, DetroitRed said:

His doctors have told him he will be fine. I will go with that.  I do not pretend to know more

His doctors cleared him to play.  That’s very different from being able to survive a 16 game season which you seem to be 1000% sure of

Eric Decker - WR -  Free Agent

Free agent WR Eric Decker "would love" to play for the Patriots.

Decker is 31 years old and has been greeted with a cold market after a bad 2017 in Tennessee. He dropped too many passes but also played in an unimaginative offense. Decker ended the year strong with a good playoffs and was drafted in Denver by now-Patriots OC Josh McDaniels. Unfortunately for Decker, the Pats already have plenty of slot-capable wideouts on hand.
Related: Patriots

Jun 20 - 1:05 PM

7 hours ago, Gas2No99 said:
Eric Decker - WR -  Free Agent

Free agent WR Eric Decker "would love" to play for the Patriots.

Decker is 31 years old and has been greeted with a cold market after a bad 2017 in Tennessee. He dropped too many passes but also played in an unimaginative offense. Decker ended the year strong with a good playoffs and was drafted in Denver by now-Patriots OC Josh McDaniels. Unfortunately for Decker, the Pats already have plenty of slot-capable wideouts on hand.
Related: Patriots

Jun 20 - 1:05 PM

This sounds pathetic. 

7 hours ago, Saul Goodman said:

Orlovsky is a clown. The receivers aren’t all-world but they’re absolutely adequate. If he was paying attention to the Jets he would’ve cited the offensive line...

Orlovsky is a clown because he thinks our receivers and tight ends arent great? You guys loved him when he called Baker Mayfield the next Drew Brees

8 hours ago, Saul Goodman said:

Orlovsky is a clown. The receivers aren’t all-world but they’re absolutely adequate. If he was paying attention to the Jets he would’ve cited the offensive line...

He just makes it sound as if the Jets are starting unproven guys. Kearse, Anderson and Enunwa have all shown they can be highly productive. TE is more of a case with what he's stating. Saying "Who's he gonna throw to?" makes it sound like we're starting Kerley and Stephen Hill.

On 5/18/2018 at 11:30 AM, Jetsplayer21 said:

Robbie didn’t even crack the top 30 in receptions last year, but still managed almost 1,000 yards.. what’s that tell you ?‍♂?

And to you that means one trick pony??  Did you even watch the guy play?  Btw he was on course for 80 or more receptions before McCown got hurt.  It tells me that with a real quarterback he can put up some serious numbers.  The fact he gets YAC doesn't mean he is only running go routes. Of course if you actually watched his games you would know this. 

On 5/16/2018 at 1:50 PM, Pointdexter said:

I think enunwa is a bit overrated by Jets nation because he was the only decent wr 2 yrs ago. And I can't expect a heck of a lot after the injury he went through. Good player but far from great.

Richie Anderson is a ticking time bomb, and more of a one-trick pony than he is a complete receiver. Ok, but not great.

Neither Hansen or Stewart showed much in their rookie seasons.

I like Kearse as a role player.

Bottom line is not much with this group. Definitely nothing to be excited about. Now that we've gone all in on Darnold, I would think the next step is making a major commitment to upgrade this group next off-season. 

You are vastly under rating Anderson and Hansen has shown a lot in OTA's. Enunwa is a WR in a TE body and can be of great use in red zone. Kearse is solid but Stewart is not good. Some of the UFA's are going to have to step up but it is not a bleak as you suggest.

13 minutes ago, JetBlue said:

And to you that means one trick pony??  Did you even watch the guy play?  Btw he was on course for 80 or more receptions before McCown got hurt.  It tells me that with a real quarterback he can put up some serious numbers.  The fact he gets YAC doesn't mean he is only running go routes. Of course if you actually watched his games you would know this. 

I’m not saying that at all. Its hard to say, he never had to make his bones on the short. So we don’t know. On other teams with more than 1 deep threat maybe he would not be needed to be only guy who can go deep. but who cares, why go short when you can go deep? 

McCown was great with him last yr. It was tough only having two real players on offense. McCown and Robbie. If we had a better OLine to give McCown more time to throw , a tight end Who could actually catch and run a little faster, Robbie would have easily cracked 1,300 last yr. We needed Robbie to go deep often and spread the field and open up passes for kearse, ect. I don’t know why Bowles had such a big problem with Morton trying to target Robbie deep so much. What the heck else was he suppose to do ?

On 6/22/2018 at 9:08 AM, DetroitRed said:

Nice breakdown but I thought it was interesting that Hansen was considered "gritty" and "intelligent".  Why? Because he is white?  Why couldn't he be considered a talented but raw receiver with good size and deceptive speed?  Lol could you stereotype him more?   Btw Anderson and Pryor are also excellent at high pointing the ball; perhaps better than Enunwa. 

17 minutes ago, JetBlue said:

I only pointed out he doesn’t get open often. Why he didn’t crack the top 30 in nfl in receptions. It is probably because the D knows he is only the jets real threat on O, so they are always on him like white on rice. So let’s not ignore those numbers. Some guys have a real knack for getting open even when the D is all over them.

This is simple math here. Robbie was often targeted as first option when we passed. We were actually in the middle of the pack in nfl in passing attempts. Robbie still does not crack in top 30 in receptions. Did he miss much time ?

5 hours ago, JetBlue said:

Nice breakdown but I thought it was interesting that Hansen was considered "gritty" and "intelligent".  Why? Because he is white?  Why couldn't he be considered a talented but raw receiver with good size and deceptive speed?  Lol could you stereotype him more?   Btw Anderson and Pryor are also excellent at high pointing the ball; perhaps better than Enunwa. 

And Enunwa is a hell of a lot more than a "possession" WR.  The guy can run.

If Enunwa or Anderson were 1st or 2nd rounders but have the same production. We wouldn’t be having this convo. The fact they weren’t highly touted leads many to believe they are talentless special teamers. In other words: there’s no way they can be good because of the spot they were drafted (or undrafted in Anderson’s case)

Sent from my iPhone using JetNation.com mobile app

On 6/21/2018 at 10:58 PM, MDL_JET said:

He just makes it sound as if the Jets are starting unproven guys. Kearse, Anderson and Enunwa have all shown they can be highly productive. TE is more of a case with what he's stating. Saying "Who's he gonna throw to?" makes it sound like we're starting Kerley and Stephen Hill.

Remember when the Jets were starting Clyde Gates and David Nelson as wide receivers. Good times.

On 6/27/2018 at 3:50 PM, Jetsplayer21 said:

I only pointed out he doesn’t get open often. Why he didn’t crack the top 30 in nfl in receptions. It is probably because the D knows he is only the jets real threat on O, so they are always on him like white on rice. So let’s not ignore those numbers. Some guys have a real knack for getting open even when the D is all over them.

This is simple math here. Robbie was often targeted as first option when we passed. We were actually in the middle of the pack in nfl in passing attempts. Robbie still does not crack in top 30 in receptions. Did he miss much time ?

And I totally disagree that he doesn't get open often.  Again; watch the games.  He is open quite often but it is up to the QB to get the ball to him.   Simple math is not as simple as you think. 

On 5/18/2018 at 3:54 PM, Philc1 said:

Robby Anderson was actually pretty good last year 941 yards 7tds with mediocre qb play but reading this thread you'd think he was Dwight Clowney 

I know, we got folks calling him a "one trick pony" because he didn't break the top 30 in receptions even though McCown missed about 4 or more games and Petty was a disaster.   Had McCown been healthy, he could easily have caught another 15-20 balls, 2 or 3 more TDs and another 150 - 200 or more yards to his totals. The guy was in his second year as an undrafted free agent and I saw him abuse quite a few top cornerbacks.  Why one would assume he would not continue to improve is beyond me.   Anderson was on any other team we would be singing his praises and wonder why we can't ever get lucky with UDFA like that. 

On 6/27/2018 at 3:37 PM, Jetsplayer21 said:

I’m not saying that at all. Its hard to say, he never had to make his bones on the short. So we don’t know. On other teams with more than 1 deep threat maybe he would not be needed to be only guy who can go deep. but who cares, why go short when you can go deep? 

McCown was great with him last yr. It was tough only having two real players on offense. McCown and Robbie. If we had a better OLine to give McCown more time to throw , a tight end Who could actually catch and run a little faster, Robbie would have easily cracked 1,300 last yr. We needed Robbie to go deep often and spread the field and open up passes for kearse, ect. I don’t know why Bowles had such a big problem with Morton trying to target Robbie deep so much. What the heck else was he suppose to do ?

Consider he was also getting his first extended playing time last season and with all the issues you mentioned he still almost had 1,000 season and double digit TDs finishing with 7.   Now we actually have two TEs who can catch and runin Herndon and Leggett and a big, physical receiver with sub 4.4 speed in Pryor and the return of Enunwa with his 4.45.  All this bodes well for Anderson as if they try and lock on to him Darnold or whomever is the starter will have other quality targets to choose from.   

12 hours ago, JetBlue said:

And I totally disagree that he doesn't get open often.  Again; watch the games.  He is open quite often but it is up to the QB to get the ball to him.   Simple math is not as simple as you think. 

Lol trust me I watch the games ? Morton was fired because of the way he called games. For targeting Anderson too much.  Bowles told him to run more and he didn’t listen, which is why he is gone. Remember the leaks “ he thinks we are the new Orleans saints “ I don’t know how that is a diss either lol. Morton did a hec of a job with what he had to work with. Anderson ran a lot of deep routes, so yes that is part of the reason why he wasn’t always open. You never want to let the guy running deep get open ?‍♂️

I am anxious to see how Bates does. I guess Bowles wants to run considerably more this yr, probably with more conservative passing. 

13 hours ago, JetBlue said:

I know, we got folks calling him a "one trick pony" because he didn't break the top 30 in receptions even though McCown missed about 4 or more games and Petty was a disaster.   Had McCown been healthy, he could easily have caught another 15-20 balls, 2 or 3 more TDs and another 150 - 200 or more yards to his totals. The guy was in his second year as an undrafted free agent and I saw him abuse quite a few top cornerbacks.  Why one would assume he would not continue to improve is beyond me.   Anderson was on any other team we would be singing his praises and wonder why we can't ever get lucky with UDFA like that. 

I think 1,100 yards, 9tds and 80 catches is realistic for Robby as long as there’s no dumb suspension and Darnold plays

On June 27, 2018 at 10:34 PM, tfine said:

If Enunwa or Anderson were 1st or 2nd rounders but have the same production. We wouldn’t be having this convo. The fact they weren’t highly touted leads many to believe they are talentless special teamers. In other words: there’s no way they can be good because of the spot they were drafted (or undrafted in Anderson’s case)

Sent from my iPhone using JetNation.com mobile app

Which, in fact, is far from the truth.  One guy is 6'3" and can run by anyone.  The other one is 6'2", 230 lb and is too big and physical for any corner and too fast for any LB or safety.  Both guys were also far from developed coming out of college, that's why (at least one reason why) one was an UDFA and the other one was a 6th rounder.  Both can easily surpass 1,000 yards with good QB play.  

Archived