Browns (and Baker) to be this year's "Hard Knocks"

nycdan

https://www.msn.com/en-us/sports/nfl/report-baker-mayfield-browns-headed-for-hbo’s-‘hard-knocks’/ar-AAxq6tt?ocid=spartanntp

It's a win for HBO and the NFL and really anyone who has ever watched the show.  This should be second only the sexy Rexy's season as the best ever.  So much potential for disaster.  I'm amazed the Browns would go for it, but then I remember it's the Browns.

Another dividend of the Jets getting Darnold.  HBO probably had no interest.

5 minutes ago, Bruce Harper said:

Sounds like a terrible idea for the team.  Not sure they want to shine a light on Josh Gordon, the rookie WR Callaway (another problem child) and maybe even Baker.  Should be entertaining, though.

Exactly.  Should be a lot of fun to watch.

Chad advice to Baker.  Stop being around cameras and keep head in football.

Browns: Hey, Lets get HBO and every damn camera and documentary production in here to witness our epic meltdown!

Sounds like the formula to success only the Browns could achieve!

I always like to remind myself.  "At least we aren't the Browns..."

The Browns don't have a choice guys. Dorsey openly said he didn't want to be on Hard Knocks -- under the current rules the NFL can force franchises to be on it if they don't have a new head coach, haven't made the playoffs in the last two seasons or haven't been on the show in the last ten years.

Should be a fun season though. I'm looking forward to it.

EDIT: Correction on timeframe

33 minutes ago, Dcat said:

better them than us.  

Browns are the dumbest sports franchise in the league.

The Browns are the last team that should be doing it this year. But from a fan's perspective this could be great TV. Baker Mayfield drama. Josh Gordon drama. Tyrod Taylor trying to hold off Baker Mayfield. Jarvis Landry loves attention. Carlos Hyde vs. Nick Chubb. Hue Jackson trying to keep things in control. Sprinkle in a bunch of cameras.....

4 minutes ago, UntouchableCrew said:

The Browns don't have a choice guys. Dorsey openly said he didn't want to be on Hard Knocks -- under the current rules the NFL can force franchises to be on it if they don't have a new head coach, haven't made the playoffs in the last two seasons or haven't been on the show in the last two years.

That last part should read "haven't been on the show in the last ten years".

We're safe for two more years, maybe three under the 10-year clause.

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000000901695/article/6-teams-eligible-for-mandatory-hard-knocks-star-turn

3 minutes ago, UntouchableCrew said:

The Browns don't have a choice guys. Dorsey openly said he didn't want to be on Hard Knocks -- under the current rules the NFL can force franchises to be on it if they don't have a new head coach, haven't made the playoffs in the last two seasons or haven't been on the show in the last two years.

Good point. I guess Baker Mayfield trumped Jimmy G in SF or Alex Smith replacing Cousins in Washington. 

This is great for the fans and the NFL. As a fan, I enjoy it a lot and the Browns should be fun to watch this summer.

I am glad, however, that the circus has left town and we have a no-nonsense coaching staff and FO. It may be boring, but it is better for the team in the long run. We don't want the circus or to put our young guys in the limelight; the New York market is crazy enough without feeding the beast.

It raises the Browns' brand, but ultimately who wants the cameras there while you're trying to break in your controversial #1 pick? Hue Jackson's already boiling hot seat just got hotter. People will be tuning in for the potential train wreck. I haven't watched the show in a few years, but I'll definitely catch this season. Sucks for the Browns, but it's a great choice for the league. 

1 hour ago, JETSfaninNE said:

Chad advice to Baker.  Stop being around cameras and keep head in football.

Browns: Hey, Lets get HBO and every damn camera and documentary production in here to witness our epic meltdown!

Sounds like the formula to success only the Browns could achieve!

I always like to remind myself.  "At least we aren't the Browns..."

I thought that Chad advice was spot on and the more I learn about Mayfield the more it seems that his head is in danger of getting away from football. 

ironically it was Rosen everyone worried about being the guy who had issues focussing on football but right now, what with the documentary crew following him everywhere pre-draft, the SI front cover and now this. It’s very likely it was the burgeoning Mayfield entourage who if not insisted on this, pushed the opportunity seeing the benefits to ‘the brand’.

Right now someone close to Mayfield needs to get a grip and get everyone focussing on football. We are not in Manziel territory yet and he might just be that rarity that thrives on all the noise around him but if I was a Browns fan this would be another red-flag

i was Rosen/Mayfield maybe even Allen over Darnold but for sure I love our guys approach at this stage 

‘time will tell

If I were a Browns fan, I would NOT want that team on Hard Knocks. 

But, to be fair, five teams who have been on Hard Knocks have actually ended up making the playoffs. While that is less than half of the teams overall, it's not like a Hard Knocks appearance is a team death sentence or anything. 

The bigger issue for the Browns is, you know, that they are the Browns. 

2 hours ago, nycdan said:

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000000901695/article/6-teams-eligible-for-mandatory-hard-knocks-star-turn

We're safe as long as Bowles is here. The guy's a drip.

2 hours ago, nycdan said:

The great advantage of having Todd Bowles as coach is that he is not Hard Knocks material, not a compelling figure in front of a camera...that's a win for the Jets.

Archived