Jets would not talk to Giants about 2nd pick in draft due to Giants connection with Bills

UnknownJetFan

1 hour ago, slats said:

There are definitely fans who will be comparing Watson to Darnold over their careers. I'm fairly optimistic that the Jets find themselves in better shape long-term with Darnold. 

6 minutes ago, dbatesman said:

What’s peculiar is how everyone except me apparently knew all along exactly who we would and wouldn’t draft. I have no idea what basis you have for believing I’m unhappy with Darnold save the standard JN bad-faith reading of any post that’s not loaded with creamed-jeans praise.

Darnold is 20, playing QB for only 4 years and a number 3 pick.  How can one not be  enthused?

• Replies 88
  • Created
  • Last Reply
4 hours ago, tfine said:

LOL I see some fans want to label this GM as some bumbling fool who drafted this Darnold by accident. Mac deserves all the credit in the world for landing the top QB regardless of how he did it. He put himself in the best possible position to do so. Guess some fans are still mad we didn’t get Deshawn Watson.

Sent from my iPad using JetNation.com mobile app

And I’m sure the Browns’ brain fart had nothing to do with it. 

3 hours ago, dbatesman said:

What’s peculiar is how everyone except me apparently knew all along exactly who we would and wouldn’t draft. 

Breers article made you look like someone that shouldn't be insulting other people's brains 

1 hour ago, Beerfish said:

mac was monumentally lucky that both the browns and the giants are fools.  It is that simple.

Mac was lucky at the same time the Jets have a history of passing on opportunity that come their way. Marino and Sapp two of the most notable.

The only things that I know is that the Jets moved up to third because they liked the players they could draft there as opposed to 6th, and that Darnold was their favorite player at 3.  Everything else is pure speculation.  I haven't heard the Jets say that Darnold was their first, second, or third choice and does it really matter?

4 hours ago, dbatesman said:

What’s peculiar is how everyone except me apparently knew all along exactly who we would and wouldn’t draft. I have no idea what basis you have for believing I’m unhappy with Darnold save the standard JN bad-faith reading of any post that’s not loaded with creamed-jeans praise.

I think it became clear Mayfield was their target, although I agree the spectre of Allen was worrying given Mac

Whether Mayfield or Darnold was on top of their board I don't know, but they were clearly happy that Darnold got past the giants so they must of had him rated significantly higher than Rosen or Allen (whether that is a good thing is debatable)

17 hours ago, flgreen said:

No it really didn't look that way.  At the time it looked like they traded up for Baker Mayfield.  Mostly because they didn't think there was any chance that Darnold would be there.  As it turned out Mayfield was the first player taken in the draft.  

Jets just drafted, potentially, the most impactful  player they have drafted in 50+ years, and people are pissed about it.

Most peculiar.  

I can't be the only person who thought...

13 hours ago, CTM said:

I think it became clear Mayfield was their target, although I agree the spectre of Allen was worrying given Mac

Whether Mayfield or Darnold was on top of their board I don't know, but they were clearly happy that Darnold got past the giants so they must of had him rated significantly higher than Rosen or Allen (whether that is a good thing is debatable)

I think Mayfield was their target insofar as they didn’t think Darnold would be there. Everything that’s come out since the draft suggests that Darnold was QB1 for everyone except the Browns, and there’s no reason to think we were the exception. Not sure on Rosen, but having Darnold rated higher than Allen is a huge relief (though of course everyone except me knew that all along).

18 minutes ago, dbatesman said:

I think Mayfield was their target insofar as they didn’t think Darnold would be there. Everything that’s come out since the draft suggests that Darnold was QB1 for everyone except the Browns, and there’s no reason to think we were the exception. Not sure on Rosen, but having Darnold rated higher than Allen is a huge relief (though of course everyone except me knew that all along).

I didn't, although I was thinking the choice was going to be Allen VS Rosen or Mayfield at which point I was thinking they'd go Allen

1 hour ago, dbatesman said:

I was pretty confident that the Hackenberg experiment was enough for Mac to have learned not to draft another inaccurate college QB, despite all those prototypical numbers associated with Allen. At #3, I didn't think he was in the picture. 

Not pretending to have known anything, but that was my belief. 

We traded up to three to make sure we got one of our top three QBs, realistically Mayfield who was 2nd on our board with Rosen as the fallback option. Because crazy things happen we lucked into the consensus top prospect -- yes, we're fortunate the Giants are incompetent and picked a RB second overall. Obviously that was lucky. Had Mayfield gone 1 and Darnold gone 2 it would have been a bad trade as we now know Rosen would have lasted until 6.

But 1) if Darnold and Mayfield were our top two QBs it's clear we wouldn't have gotten either of them at 6, so we rolled the dice and 2) if we had sat at 6 Sam Darnold would be a Buffalo Bill. Seriously, the underrated benefit of trading up is that the Bills likely drafted a huge bust instead of the guy we're all thrilled with right now...

So it's not just "Darnold at 3 vs Rosen at 6 and the extra picks" it's "Darnold at 3 with Josh Allen throwing swing passes into the dirt in Buffalo vs. Rosen at 6, the extra picks, and the Bills beating us to the punch taking the QB who's going to dominate the AFC East for the next 15 years in the post-Brady era."

Really, if we're going to criticize Mac for anything it shouldn't be trade it should be the fact that plan A was selling the farm for Cousins. I would have been fine with that at the time but THANK GOD we didn't get him.

2 hours ago, slats said:

I was pretty confident that the Hackenberg experiment was enough for Mac to have learned not to draft another inaccurate college QB, despite all those prototypical numbers associated with Allen. At #3, I didn't think he was in the picture. 

Not pretending to have known anything, but that was my belief. 

I admire your optimism, and I’m very glad it turned out to be well-placed.

22 hours ago, dbatesman said:

I was 100% clueless. Goodell coming out naked to announce the pick would surprise me less than us picking Darnold.

3 minutes ago, The Crusher said:

I was 100% clueless. Goodell coming out naked to announce the pick would surprise me less than us picking Darnold.

By the way. I mean after the Giants picked Barkley too. I just screamed, “please” not having any confidence in him making the right choice. My wife literally hugged me like I almost got ran over by a car after the pick. Not kidding. “ Your safe now tubby, your safe.” 

To tell you the truth, I thought the Jets were screwed when Mayfield went off the board at 1.  Felt for sure that the Giants weren't going to be stupid enough to pass on a franchise QB for a RB, no matter how good he might be, and take Darnold.  The Jets would be stuck with Rosen who would be on IR by Halloween. 

Maybe the tides have turned.  Look how crappy the Pats were until Brady turned out to be the GOAT.   

21 minutes ago, flgreen said:

To tell you the truth, I thought the Jets were screwed when Mayfield went off the board at 1.  Felt for sure that the Giants weren't going to be stupid enough to pass on a franchise QB for a RB, no matter how good he might be, and take Darnold.  The Jets would be stuck with Rosen who would be on IR by Halloween. 

Maybe the tides have turned.  Look how crappy the Pats were until Brady turned out to be the GOAT.   

Same. I was praying all the rumors were true but until they announced the pick I was expecting to hear Darnold.

40 minutes ago, The Crusher said:

By the way. I mean after the Giants picked Barkley too. I just screamed, “please” not having any confidence in him making the right choice. My wife literally hugged me like I almost got ran over by a car after the pick. Not kidding. “ Your safe now tubby, your safe.” 

Again, felt the same. Not because I didn't have faith in macc, it could have been Parcells or any other great football mind and I wouldn't have had confidence mainly because we're the Jets and we find ways to mess up moves like this. 

When the pick came in, me and my son embraced like we just survived a plane crash.

On 5/19/2018 at 11:30 AM, jetstream23 said:

Ian Rappoport reported that Darnold was, in fact, #1 on the Jets board.  There did seem to be a disinformation campaign by the Jets in the week leading up to the Draft that Mayfield was the Jets target.

So if Ian Rappoport said it then it's got to be true? Lol. I don't believe those GM reports on who was their #1 and there is no way to know for sure if Ian Rappoport is correct either. Mike Maccagnan could say that Darnold was our #1 all along and I still wouldn't believe him 100%. It could of been Darnold all along but I think it was Baker by draft time and if the Jets had the choice of Baker or Darnold my money is on Baker. We can say for sure it wasn't Rosen but maybe it should of been. I flipping hope not!

On 5/19/2018 at 9:32 AM, T0mShane said:

I will say, this spin that landing Darnold has anything to do with the Jets being competent and having a disciplined, long-term strategy to draft their chosen QB in 2018 requires some serious suspension of disbelief and a complete denial of the history. You can be happy the Jets fell ass backward into Darnold and still acknowledge that the conscious planning of Mike Maccagnan had literally nothing to do with it. This is like when a dude wins the lottery and starts talking about how he had a strategy for picking the numbers, and how he also drops $150 per week on quick picks 

As Napoleon once said, "Genius is knowing how to take advantage of chance." If Mac didn't trade up to #3, he would not have been in a position to take advantage of chance. It was a gamble, but a sound one. You need to give him credit, as much as you loathe doing so.

47 minutes ago, Long Island Leprechaun said:

As Napoleon once said, "Genius is knowing how to take advantage of chance." If Mac didn't trade up to #3, he would not have been in a position to take advantage of chance. It was a gamble, but a sound one. You need to give him credit, as much as you loathe doing so.

Napoleon died in disgrace and exile at the age of 52. 

1 hour ago, Long Island Leprechaun said:

Don't bother being logical. The draft is about odds, Macc gave himself betters odds at success and hit....its not hard to follow.

35 minutes ago, T0mShane said:

Napoleon died in disgrace and exile at the age of 52. 

And you willl too.  )

Read Horne's book on the Battle of Austerlitz. Napoleon may have been a jerk, but he was a certified genius at war. Of course, the generals he faced were about at the same level as Tannenbaum, Beane, and Marvin Lewis, so there's that...

1 hour ago, k-met57 said:

thats amazing. thank you for posting.

If you liked that one you might also like Francesa's Twitter.  A lot of people do a play on that call.  Someone wrote something like "do you think the Royal Family and the Kansas City Royals get together for dinner"?  High comedy!

https://twitter.com/mikefrancesa

Archived