Jets would not talk to Giants about 2nd pick in draft due to Giants connection with Bills

UnknownJetFan

Very wise not to talk to those snakes. Now if Sam becomes a star this will be the greatest draft in our history as the giants will regret not only passing on a QB but passing on the one who helped us win big and became a star in the same Stadium.

• Replies 88
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, nyjunc said:

Very wise not to talk to those snakes. Now if Sam becomes a star this will be the greatest draft in our history as the giants will regret not only passing on a QB but passing on the one who helped us win big and became a star in the same Stadium.

Not only would it be great that the jets got a franchise qb but that same player the giants passed on for a running back

Look, I'm very happy the Jets got Darnold and find his strategy to basically take a mulligan on last year's season very interesting but at the same time I'm not sure it should necessarily be lauded as this genius decision.  Everyone seems to forget because he did get hurt but DeShaun Watson looked like an absolute stud last year and was there for the taking without any need to trade picks and we completely passed on him.  Time will tell on this one it's very early and this post might look completely asinine in a few years but I don't think that's something that should go unmentioned in this grand plan. 

Watson was no sure thing coming into the league based on the system he played in. Same could be said of Mayfield, but his accuracy and being able to make his own audibles at the line made him a much more pro ready QB. Watson had a great rookie campign, but I believe you will see a sophomore slump as Def. coordinators see more film on him.

Darnold is a much more pro ready QB and I think over the next few years will out perform Watson. I'm ok losing the 2nd round picks.... I believe Darnold will more than compensate us for that over the next 15 years.

4 hours ago, drsamuel84 said:

Look, I'm very happy the Jets got Darnold and find his strategy to basically take a mulligan on last year's season very interesting but at the same time I'm not sure it should necessarily be lauded as this genius decision.  Everyone seems to forget because he did get hurt but DeShaun Watson looked like an absolute stud last year and was there for the taking without any need to trade picks and we completely passed on him.  Time will tell on this one it's very early and this post might look completely asinine in a few years but I don't think that's something that should go unmentioned in this grand plan. 

One of the knocks on Watson heading into the draft was that his playing style could get him injured, and then it did. All the talent in the world doesn't make a bit of difference if the player can't stay on the field. 

We'll see how he looks post-injury, and if defenses haven't started to catch up to him with a year to watch film. I'm pretty optimistic that the Jets decision to pass on QBs last year, and luck in landing Darnold, is going to pay off. 

18 hours ago, Long Island Leprechaun said:

As Napoleon once said, "Genius is knowing how to take advantage of chance." If Mac didn't trade up to #3, he would not have been in a position to take advantage of chance. It was a gamble, but a sound one. You need to give him credit, as much as you loathe doing so.

I think this is overstating. IIRC the Colts had a desire to trade down and were talking with at least 2 other teams; it wasn't an act of brilliance of us calling them up cold to convince them to trade down. We had a built-in advantage of picking 6th, where the Colts could take a top ranked sure thing there. The way things ended up - with them staying pat and not trading down again, even with teams willing to move up for the 2 remaining QBs - perhaps they were targeting the guard and just wanted a few free picks rather than further over-draft him at #3. 

If there's any credit given, it has to be measured in that he refused to do the same in 2016 and this lack of foresight wasted 2 straight seasons, because he felt he had an ace in the hole with Christian Hackenberg. This suggests the influence and inspiration to actually pull the trigger might have been from another within the organization.

34 minutes ago, Sperm Edwards said:

I think this is overstating. IIRC the Colts had a desire to trade down and were talking with at least 2 other teams; it wasn't an act of brilliance of us calling them up cold to convince them to trade down. We had a built-in advantage of picking 6th, where the Colts could take a top ranked sure thing there. The way things ended up - with them staying pat and not trading down again, even with teams willing to move up for the 2 remaining QBs - perhaps they were targeting the guard and just wanted a few free picks rather than further over-draft him at #3. 

If there's any credit given, it has to be measured in that he refused to do the same in 2016 and this lack of foresight wasted 2 straight seasons, because he felt he had an ace in the hole with Christian Hackenberg. This suggests the influence and inspiration to actually pull the trigger might have been from another within the organization.

Sperm Edwards,  @Long Island Leprechaunyou are a men of deep thought!!

As Napoleon once said, "Genius is knowing how to take advantage of chance." If Mac didn't trade up to #3, he would not have been in a position to take advantage of chance. It was a gamble, but a sound one. You need to give him credit, as much as you loathe doing so.

•  

Image result for The Thinker gif

53 minutes ago, Sperm Edwards said:

I don't think Mac was a genius for making the trade-up, quote notwithstanding. I do think he deserves credit for doing exactly what I would have done (and suggested prior to the draft)... so he was merely following in the hallowed footsteps of a true genius! :)

2 hours ago, slats said:

One of the knocks on Watson heading into the draft was that his playing style could get him injured, and then it did. All the talent in the world doesn't make a bit of difference if the player can't stay on the field. 

We'll see how he looks post-injury, and if defenses haven't started to catch up to him with a year to watch film. I'm pretty optimistic that the Jets decision to pass on QBs last year, and luck in landing Darnold, is going to pay off. 

agreed, Watson still has a lot to prove I just think it's worth mentioning.

6 hours ago, slats said:

Ugh, that might be even worse, no? 

Much worse, particularly because he tore up the other knee in a similar way at Clemson. My point was just that while there are real concerns about his injury history, it’s not because of his playing style per se.

5 hours ago, Long Island Leprechaun said:

I don't think Mac was a genius for making the trade-up, quote notwithstanding. I do think he deserves credit for doing exactly what I would have done (and suggested prior to the draft)... so he was merely following in the hallowed footsteps of a true genius! :)

You and 150k other Jet fans. But by all means.... props to you and your Lucky ? Charms

4 hours ago, dbatesman said:

Much worse, particularly because he tore up the other knee in a similar way at Clemson. My point was just that while there are real concerns about his injury history, it’s not because of his playing style per se.

Oh, so as long as his injury concerns aren’t becaus of his playing style, we should have Idzik’d him? I mean Dee Millner’d him, er, wait.....

bizzaro world this manifestation of Idzik love of yours brahski.

25 minutes ago, NoBowles said:

Oh, so as long as his injury concerns aren’t becaus of his playing style, we should have Idzik’d him? I mean Dee Millner’d him, er, wait.....

bizzaro world this manifestation of Idzik love of yours brahski.

wat

Archived