Johnny football signed hopes to resurrect his career

Kleckineau

https://www.msn.com/en-us/sports/nfl/johnny-manziel-finds-door-back-into-football-with-cfls-tiger-cats/ar-AAxwh3W?ocid=spartandhp&ffid=gz

Johnny Manziel has messed up—a lot—over the last four years. And he’s burned any trust he once had with NFL teams. There’s ample reason, too, for everyone else to doubt how serious he’s been about “#ComebackSZN”. All that branded apparel only added questions on his motives.

So give him credit now. He’s not telling you. By signing in Canada—he announced via Barstool Sports on Saturday morning that he’s doing a deal to play for the Hamilton Tiger-Cats—he’s showing you.

Manziel is doing what a lot of other quarterbacks who’ve found themselves on the outside of the NFL looking in haven’t been willing to. He’s looked for any door he could back into the football-playing world. He found one with the Spring League earlier this year, and now he’s opening another one North of the border.

Tim Tebow and Colin Kaepernick were both out of football for extended periods of time, for different reasons, and each talked of how much they loved and missed the game. Both had opportunities to go to Canada—each was on the negotiation list of the Montreal Alouettes. Both declined. Plenty of other ex-NFL quarterbacks have walked away from the game, rather than try and pump life into the careers by working on their games in the relative anonymity of pro football’s de facto Triple-A league.

And Manziel put almost a year of thought into this. He worked out for Hamilton last August; his agent, Erik Burkhardt, kept the lines of communication open in the time since. The Tiger-Cats offered Manziel a two-year deal in January, which gave the team his negotiating rights for the period of a year. It didn’t hurt, either, that Burkhardt had a relationship with Hamilton coach June Jones from his days at SMU...................................................................................................................................................................................................................

I think Johnny is still fairly young so he still has a chance to make an impact in the CFL and maybe work his way back to the NFL. Didn’t Johnny win Cleveland’s last game that they won? No he won 2 games for them in 2015. I think McCown won the other in 2015. Not sure of that one but good luck to him if he really tries and he’s not wasting the teams time.

20 minutes ago, #27TheDominator said:

Going to play for June Jones?  Makes perfect sense.  He will probably put up video game numbers in the run and shoot.  Maybe it will get him back to the NFL, maybe it will have crazy fans thinking he would play identically in the NFL. 

I would watch it. 

19 minutes ago, Kleckineau said:

Next Ricky Ray baby!

Jets biggest mistake in the last decade or so was not giving ricky ray a proper shot.

June Jones is a good coach and should be a big help to him. 

The CFL is no cake walk for many guys coming in thinking they are going to light it up so we see how it goes.  The rules and field dimensions are a challenge.

8 minutes ago, Beerfish said:

Jets biggest mistake in the last decade or so was not giving ricky ray a proper shot.

The CFL is no cake walk for many guys coming in thinking they are going to light it up so we see how it goes.  The rules and field dimensions are a challenge.

I'm not so sure.  The guy's career trajectory has not been so hot since he left Hawaii.  He got to a couple of bowl games at SMU and then fell off and eventually resigned.  He tried to leave them for ASU and then ASU decided they didn't want him.  Not everybody is/was impressed.  After he left SMU in 2014 he was out of football until he ended up coaching in HS in Hawaii im 2016 and joined Hamilton in 2017. 

it is very fitting to say that coach June Jones is the worst college football coach in America. As they say it in Texas, that’s the bottom line.

What do they think of him in Canada?  I used to love the Mouse Davis run and shoot in the USFL. Jim Kelly!  Clarence Verdin! 

51 minutes ago, Beerfish said:

I am convinced Ricky Ray would have had a nice NFL career. In typical Jet fashion they kept Quincy Carter and let Ricky walk.

Regarding Manziel I hope he does well. Who doesnt like a nice story of redemption?

2 hours ago, Beerfish said:

Three downs and the bigger field are advantages for a smaller, mobile QB like Manziel. Lots of passing with the need to get ten yards in two downs, and wider passing lanes due to the wider field. People hate on the kid, but I think it's a credit to him to go to Canada to attempt to hone his craft. If Tebow cared as much about football, the CFL would've been a good place for him, too. 

2 hours ago, #27TheDominator said:

I'm not so sure.  The guy's career trajectory has not been so hot since he left Hawaii.  He got to a couple of bowl games at SMU and then fell off and eventually resigned.  He tried to leave them for ASU and then ASU decided they didn't want him.  Not everybody is/was impressed.  After he left SMU in 2014 he was out of football until he ended up coaching in HS in Hawaii im 2016 and joined Hamilton in 2017. 

it is very fitting to say that coach June Jones is the worst college football coach in America. As they say it in Texas, that’s the bottom line.

What do they think of him in Canada?  I used to love the Mouse Davis run and shoot in the USFL. Jim Kelly!  Clarence Verdin! 

I think he may be better for Canada, Hamilton was like 1-9 or something before he took over and they were a whole other team after he arrived.

And guess who manziel will be throwing passes to?   Jalen Saunders.

10 minutes ago, slats said:

Three downs and the bigger field are advantages for a smaller, mobile QB like Manziel. Lots of passing with the need to get ten yards in two downs, and wider passing lanes due to the wider field. People hate on the kid, but I think it's a credit to him to go to Canada to attempt to hone his craft. If Tebow cared as much about football, the CFL would've been a good place for him, too. 

The thing that usually gets QBs is the larger field and the need to be able to throw longer passes.  That and the fact that with 12 players they often have trouble with the deep safety.

32 minutes ago, Beerfish said:

I think he may be better for Canada, Hamilton was like 1-9 or something before he took over and they were a whole other team after he arrived.

And guess who manziel will be throwing passes to?   Jalen Saunders.

Maybe.  Most of the complaints involved recruiting and he actually seems to have recruited Manziel.  

Jalen Saunders?  He had over 1,000 yards, right?  I hope they have a good substance abuse program in place. 

Archived