Jets QB Josh McCown has enduring quality

Gas2No99

Jets QB Josh McCown has enduring quality

By Calvin Watkins

May 18, 2018 6:48 PM

Josh McCown of the Jets looks on from
Josh McCown of the Jets looks on from the sidelines against the Panthers at MetLife Stadium on Nov. 26, 2017. Photo Credit: Jim McIsaac 

Josh McCown has been here before. He’s the starting quarterback for an NFL team, playing a position that eventually will belong to somebody else. 

McCown, 38, knows that Sam Darnold is the Jets’ quarterback of the future and his job is to make it hard for the first-round draft pick to wrest that job in the present.

I think you just want to go out there and continue to do that,” McCown said Thursday. “So you absolutely view yourself as the starter. I understand the dynamics of why Sam was drafted and I respect that and at some point there’s going to be time for him to step in there, whenever the case may be.”

McCown provided the stability the Jets needed last season while they searched for a new quarterback. McCown had one of his best seasons in 2017, setting career highs in completions (267), completion percentage (67.3), touchdowns (18) and passing yards (2,926). It resulted in only five wins and McCown’s season ended after 13 games when he suffered a broken hand in Denver.

After the season, McCown met with his family and thought about retiring but his kids pushed him to play another season, which will be his 16th. McCown wanted to remain with the Jets because of the strong relationship he had in the locker room, with coach Todd Bowles and new offensive coordinator Jeremy Bates.

“That’s it, it’s a year-to-year thing at my age and at my kids’ ages,” he said. “My boys being in high school soon it’s about keeping those things in perspective and the dynamic of our family. How all that is working is the most important thing.”

In the offseason, the Jets tried to sign Kirk Cousins in free agency, even offering a larger financial package than what their nearest competitors, the Vikings, did. But Cousins signed a three-year, $84-million deal with the Vikings and the Jets quickly moved on to sign McCown for one-year totalling $10 million. The Jets also signed Teddy Bridgewater, a 25-year old former Pro Bowler coming off a severe knee injury.

McCown’s career is filled with people trying to replace him since he entered the league in 2002 as a third-round pick by Arizona.

After earning the starting job in Tampa Bay in 2014, McCown struggled and was replaced by Shaun King (OP EDIT: Shaun King last played in 2004, writer meant Mike Glennon, they are two similar looking players*). McCown’s career even got him to Cleveland but a shoulder injury cost him the starting job in 2016 and he was replaced by rookie Cody Kessler.

McCown was out of the NFL for a year in 2010, playing in the United Football League.

“I think for me, ever since I was out of the league and I got back in, once you go through that feeling of being out of the league, you really kinda had a different mindset,” McCown said. “Coming back in, its always taking it year-to-year and even breaking it down day-to-day and you appreciate every moment. You never know when it’s going to be done.”

As he enters the final stages of his career, McCown isn’t fearful of losing a starting job that one day will belong to Darnold. And with the addition of Bridgewater, McCown isn’t guaranteed the starting job this season. 

McCown never has played scared or discounted his abilities. He knows this could be his last chance as a starting quarterback, no matter how fleeting it may seem. McCown said he has enjoyed teaming with Bridgewater and Darnold during the offseason workouts. He said the two younger players have pushed him to become better. It’s something that he’s embraced.

“Heck yeah, that’s how it’s supposed to be,” McCown said of the competition. “I think that’s healthy, that’s the idea, that’s what I mean. This group can make it competitive and if we can bring Sam along quickly and get him going and Teddy gets back to where he needs to be and hopefully I can build on what I did last year, for us, if we compete, that’s helpful for everybody.”

Watkins started covering the Cowboys in 2006 and after a three-year stint covering the Rockets for ESPN is now back on an NFL beat covering the Jets.

*Shaun King - 6'1" 215 lbs when playing, now 290 lbs.:

king.jpg

Mike Glennon - 6'6" 229 lbs:

th?id=OIP.B-0WfN5GlVwAb8JFQx25ogHaFZ&pid

• Replies 107
  • Created
  • Last Reply
26 minutes ago, johnnysd said:

There is close to 100% chance Darnold starts Day 1, just listen to the way the Jets are already talking about him.

There is a likely chance, but it ain't close to 100. 

They'd obviously be pleased if he won the job and ran with it but any number of factors could lead to them thinking, "nah let's wait a while", not the least of which is his having to learn to drop back or the awkward out of rhythm way the Jets season begins (two short weeks in a row)

10 minutes ago, Tony MaC said:

There is a likely chance, but it ain't close to 100. 

They'd obviously be pleased if he won the job and ran with it but any number of factors could lead to them thinking, "nah let's wait a while", not the least of which is his having to learn to drop back or the awkward out of rhythm way the Jets season begins (two short weeks in a row)

Just seeing how the OLine coalesces the first few games ALONE is reason to NOT immediately start and expose Darnold.

Too many shots may affect a young, and still developing, QB; Sanchez was KILLED by a joke of a line in 2011-12 and you saw he play rattled. Darnold has the makeup and cool demeanor to probably handle it better than Sanchez did, but still, why risk him if the OLine is as bad as many here proclaim and the group would require a few games to gel. McCown would know to throw the ball away, while a young Sammy may not as astutely do so and get popped pretty hard early on. I say Sam by the 5th game.

People have complained over the past two years about the money we have used on McMcown but he is the right person to bridge and mentor a young QB.  You don't find too many qb's that aren't selfish.

8 hours ago, johnnysd said:

There is close to 100% chance Darnold starts Day 1, just listen to the way the Jets are already talking about him.

Who knows but I'd be very surprised.  I'd like to see him sit most of the year and learn from McCown (even if Bridgewater wins the job).  I don't know if our OL is strong enough for me to trust it to protect Darnold.  

8 hours ago, Larz said:

McCown is the best available bridge QB in the league 

Darnold has to earn it, but if he could earn it about week 5, that'd be great 

Larz with all due respect Josh McCown is 23-50 as an NFL starter on many teams he's a journeyman NFL loser, great teammate,class act just not a winning NFL QB not quite sure I want him mentoring a rookie phenom QB. All these wayward bound QB's nobody else wants sign with the Jets and many go giddy over them and elect them into the Jets ring of honor for some unknown reason. 

4 minutes ago, joewilly12 said:

Larz with all due respect Josh McCown is 23-50 as an NFL starter on many teams he's a journeyman NFL loser, great teammate,class act just not a winning NFL QB not quite sure I want him mentoring a rookie phenom QB. All these wayward bound QB's nobody else wants sign with the Jets and many go giddy over them and elect them into the Jets ring of honor for some unknown reason. 

Has there ever been a HOF qb who then becomes a great qb coach?

3 minutes ago, joewilly12 said:

I don't know, but Josh McCown is not a QB coach he's taking up a roster spot and costing the NY Jets $10 million. 

Would you not consider "mentoring" as being a coach type? Or, then what is your definition of mentoring?

I didn't realize it was YOU that was paying his salary. 

9 hours ago, Gas2No99 said:

In 2013 he replaced an injured Jay Cutler in Chicago as the Bears went on a playoff run. 

This is a weird way to phrase this, both because it’s wrong—the Bears finished 8-8 and missed the playoffs—and because it elides what was a pretty remarkable season from McCown (13 TDs, 1 INT).

4 minutes ago, Scott Dierking said:

Would you not consider "mentoring" as being a coach type? Or, then what is your definition of mentoring?

I didn't realize it was YOU that was paying his salary. 

Mentoring as far as what in Josh McCown's case he's 23-50 as an NFL starter, been with too many teams to count. 

I specifically stated costing the NY Jets $10 million, not ME. 

7 hours ago, Gas2No99 said:

Just seeing how the OLine coalesces the first few games ALONE is reason to NOT immediately start and expose Darnold.

Too many shots may affect a young, and still developing, QB; Sanchez was KILLED by a joke of a line in 2011-12 and you saw he play rattled. Darnold has the makeup and cool demeanor to probably handle it better than Sanchez did, but still, why risk him if the OLine is as bad as many here proclaim and the group would require a few games to gel. McCown would know to throw the ball away, while a young Sammy may not as astutely do so and get popped pretty hard early on. I say Sam by the 5th game.

Exactly right. Darnold is not use to nfl speed yet. He has a lot to work on. He is going to see things slower in the beginning. The jet Oline line won’t give him the extra time he needs.  He led the nation in turnovers last yr due to a bad Oline. Jets have a bad Oline. 

1 minute ago, joewilly12 said:

Mentoring as far as what in Josh McCown's case he's 23-50 as an NFL starter, been with too many teams to count. 

Not sure what "mentoring" has to do with w-l records. That is a weird connection you are making there.

The Jets had to have someone be a bridge qb on the roster, not sure whom you had in mind. And, it costs monty to play players. Weird, I know.

4 minutes ago, Scott Dierking said:

Not sure what "mentoring" has to do with w-l records. That is a weird connection you are making there.

The Jets had to have someone be a bridge qb on the roster, not sure whom you had in mind. And, it costs monty to play players. Weird, I know.

Please define mentoring.  What traits would you want Josh McCown to pass onto Sam Darnold. 

How did Ryan Fitzpatrick's mentoring workout here? 

I thought most NFL teams have QB coaches.  

Did you call Mark Brunell hitting Mark Sanchez with pool noodles mentoring?  Or was it Mark Sanchez wiping boogers on Mark Brunell that would be considered mentoring?

7 hours ago, Gas2No99 said:

That would be my timetable. 

IMHO, Sam is designed to play behind a less than stellar line. He's big, strong, and durable, and has demonstrated an ability to improvise and make throws on the move. But the Jets have a new offensive coordinator, a new zone blocking scheme, and a new center. No reason not to give them a few weeks to work the bugs out. 

And the three games in 11 days thing is beyond just throwing him into the fire. Week five starts a three game homestand. That's the perfect time to start Darnold. Not only for his own development but to make sure the stadium is full of Jet fans for those three games. 

@joewilly12

A mentor is someone that is able to relate the nuances and experiences that they have had in handling the jobs and responsibilities that an underling will have as they attempt to assume that position. They will share how they think about job responsibilities and provide advice.

A little sad that I need to provide a definition to what I assume is a grown man on this site.

Yes, all teams have qb coaches. From what I know, Jeremy Bates was never a qb in the league. It is never bad to have multiple mentors in any aspect. The more one can glean, the better.

In that Mark Brunell was with teh Jets when Mark Sanchez was somewhat "successful", I guess I can consider that good. You would need to ask Mark. That said, Darnold is not Sanchez. And Fitzpatrick is not Brunell. So I am not sure what one has to do with the other,

20 minutes ago, joewilly12 said:

I don't know, but Josh McCown is not a QB coach he's taking up a roster spot and costing the NY Jets $10 million. 

I agree he's overpaid, but he's doing a lot more than just taking up a roster spot. 

Coaches coach. They implement the systems, work on mechanics and fundamentals. It's all important stuff. But players don't just rely on coaches, they lean on the senior players, the leaders, to learn the NFL, get better, and for rookies, just to get acclimated. McCown has been around forever and has a lot of wisdom to offer that room. Bridgewater is probably glad to have him there, too, as he's about to embark on his own journeyman career. 

And McCown was pretty good last year. If he hadn't broken his hand, the trade up to #3 probably would've cost next year's #1. Darnold has to beat the old man out, and the old man is willing to help him. He's a valuable, if overpriced, member of the team. 

5 minutes ago, slats said:

That would be my timetable. 

IMHO, Sam is designed to play behind a less than stellar line. He's big, strong, and durable, and has demonstrated an ability to improvise and make throws on the move. But the Jets have a new offensive coordinator, a new zone blocking scheme, and a new center. No reason not to give them a few weeks to work the bugs out. 

And the three games in 11 days thing is beyond just throwing him into the fire. Week five starts a three game homestand. That's the perfect time to start Darnold. Not only for his own development but to make sure the stadium is full of Jet fans for those three games. 

Must disagree. Darnold had a outstanding sophomore season under a much stronger line he had as a junior, where he did regress in some areas. Especially turnovers. He was known to look down his receivers as part of the reason for the high ints. I didn’t watch every int he threw but I’d imagine he didn’t have as much time to scan the field as he would have liked on those ints. 

We can’t buy into Mac’s love for the neglect of the OLine. I guarantee Sam Darnold will be a much better qb with a strong line. It’s time for Bowles Defense to take a backseat to what is best for Sam Darnold.

11 minutes ago, Scott Dierking said:

@joewilly12

A mentor is someone that is able to relate the nuances and experiences that they have had in handling the jobs and responsibilities that an underling will have as they attempt to assume that position. They will share how they think about job responsibilities and provide advice.

A little sad that I need to provide a definition to what I assume is a grown man on this site.

Yes, all teams have qb coaches. From what I know, Jeremy Bates was never a qb in the league. It is never bad to have multiple mentors in any aspect. The more one can glean, the better.

In that Mark Brunell was with teh Jets when Mark Sanchez was somewhat "successful", I guess I can consider that good. You would need to ask Mark. That said, Darnold is not Sanchez. And Fitzpatrick is not Brunell. So I am not sure what one has to do with the other,

@Scott Dierking

Sadder is a NY Jets fan of any age that tries in vain to defend the decision to pay Josh McCown 23-50 as an NFL starter who's been with 10 teams 11 if you count his year in the CFL $10 million dollars as a mentor to our young future franchise QB. 

Where have you been the last 49 years?  We haven't had a decent QB since then and all the Rick Mirer's,Jay Fiedeler's, Mark Brunell's and Ryan Fitzpatrick's didn't work out. 

Sure Josh McCown is a feel good story after a win goes into the stands to hug his mom, but what has he ever won in the NFL. 

Josh McCown class act on and off the field just not sure I want him passing on his 23-50 NFL traits to Sam Darnold. 

14 minutes ago, Jetsplayer21 said:

Must disagree. Darnold had a outstanding sophomore season under a much stronger line he had as a junior, where he did regress in some areas. Especially turnovers. He was known to look down his receivers as part of the reason for the high ints. I didn’t watch every int he threw but I’d imagine he didn’t have as much time to scan the field as he would have liked on those ints. 

We can’t buy into Mac’s love for the neglect of the OLine. I guarantee Sam Darnold will be a much better qb with a strong line. It’s time for Bowles Defense to take a backseat to what is best for Sam Darnold.

He lost three starters on his OL and his #1 WR. He was bound to have a downturn. He's also just 20 years old. He's gonna get stronger and better. Again, he's a big, physical, durable kid with quality improvisational skills. I'm not embracing Mac's neglect of the OL. Every QB will be much better behind a strong line. That's a given. The OL is what it is this year and, hopefully, they invest a little heavier in it next year. But the situation isn't so bad that I'd sit Darnold because of it. Maybe if it was Rosen, instead, I'd have a little different opinion. I don't know. But Darnold has to get out there this year. A month into the season feels about right to me. That should be long enough for the OL to get up to whatever speed it's going to be. 

1 minute ago, slats said:

He lost three starters on his OL and his #1 WR. He was bound to have a downturn. He's also just 20 years old. He's gonna get stronger and better. Again, he's a big, physical, durable kid with quality improvisational skills. I'm not embracing Mac's neglect of the OL. Every QB will be much better behind a strong line. That's a given. The OL is what it is this year and,hopefully, they invest a little heavier in it next year. But the situation isn't so bad that I'd sit Darnold because of it. Maybe if it was Rosen, instead, I'd have a little different opinion. I don't know. But Darnold has to get out there this year. A month into the season feels about right to me. That should be long enough for the OL to get up to whatever speed it's going to be. 

We all want it to be a month. But to me that may be pushing it. That means he was very close to being ready to start opening day. If he was why not just start him then ? He is very young, and known to be less pro ready than Rosen, and even mayfield. I’m glad we took darnold over Rosen though, but we have to be more patient with him. 

When I change my aviator to the new starting qb, I don’t want to have to change it back to McCown because he was rushed in too quick ? 

18 minutes ago, Jetsplayer21 said:

We all want it to be a month. But to me that may be pushing it. That means he was very close to being ready to start opening day. If he was why not just start him then ? He is very young, and known to be less pro ready than Rosen, and even mayfield. I’m glad we took darnold over Rosen though, but we have to be more patient with him. 

When I change my aviator to the new starting qb, I don’t want to have to change it back to McCown because he was rushed in too quick ? 

Two reasons. One, the three games in 11 days, 3/4 games on the road opening stretch and two, giving the OL time to gel with a new center and scheme. A few weeks of observing the NFL, and how the coaches and starting QB prepare and then actually work in regular season games can also only be a plus. But only so much can be learned sitting on the sidelines, he eventually has to get on the field and do it. Week five is the first of three straight home games, which is a great opportunity to break Sam in in front of friendly, supportive home crowds. He and the OL should be ready by then, too. 

56 minutes ago, joewilly12 said:

McCown’s winning percentage says nothing about his teaching abilities, which, by virtually all accounts, are highly regarded by all those who know him. Some of the best teachers in this league never even played in the NFL, so your argument makes no sense. 

12 minutes ago, BroadwayRay said:

McCown’s winning percentage says nothing about his teaching abilities, which, by virtually all accounts, are highly regarded by all those who know him. Some of the best teachers in this league never even played in the NFL, so your argument makes no sense. 

Thats your opinion and you can have it as I have mine. 

Its always about the "feel good" story here, how many times has it actually worked out.

Winning is everything in the NFL. 

Image result for YOU PLAY TO WIN THE GAME GIFS

3 minutes ago, joewilly12 said:

Thats your opinion and you can have it as I have mine. 

Winning is everything in the NFL. 

I agree that becoming and being a good teacher, mentor and coach, even a great teacher and coach has no requirement that he has played in the NFL or played on winning teams in the NFL.  I think you are creating a false necessary condition here.  That's not to say that having played and having won woouldn't be a plus. It could be.  But is by no means a necessary condition for success in the role as you make it out to be.   

41 minutes ago, joewilly12 said:

@Scott Dierking

Sadder is a NY Jets fan of any age that tries in vain to defend the decision to pay Josh McCown 23-50 as an NFL starter who's been with 10 teams 11 if you count his year in the CFL $10 million dollars as a mentor to our young future franchise QB. 

Where have you been the last 49 years?  We haven't had a decent QB since then and all the Rick Mirer's,Jay Fiedeler's, Mark Brunell's and Ryan Fitzpatrick's didn't work out. 

Sure Josh McCown is a feel good story after a win goes into the stands to hug his mom, but what has he ever won in the NFL. 

Josh McCown class act on and off the field just not sure I want him passing on his 23-50 NFL traits to Sam Darnold. 

I know that this is difficult for you to comprehend here (based on your seeming inability to process what I what I have written here elsewhere), but Mcknown is a "bridge. The Jets knew they were drafting a qb when they signed him, and they need that could be that bridge to play until that qb is ready. The Jets thinking , and it is confirmed in league circles is that Mcknown, that he also serves a s terrific mentor Double win!!!!

Name the qb that was available when the Jets made this move that you preferred.

The money they are paying him is a short term deal, and it did not prohibit them from signing anyone else for other parts of the team.

I am not sure what mentorship has to do with w/l records, or qb's in tha past 49 years. That seems like small-minded thinking that is just bitter over the past. That is not the way you run an organization.

If you want to rant for the sake of ranting, have at it. Just ton't expect evryone to agree with your delusion.

Just now, Dcat said:

I agree that becoming and being a good teacher and coach, even a great teacher and coach has no requirement that he has played in the NFL or played on winning teams in the NFL.  I think you are creating a false necessary condition here.  THat's not to say that having played and having won woouldn't be a plus. It could be.  But is by no means a necessary condition for success in the role as you make it out to be.   

Josh McCown is not a leader and he is also not a good mentor  in my opinion, too many losses and too many teams with 0 success to be any of the above. 

Just now, joewilly12 said:

Josh McCown is not a leader and he is also not a good mentor  in my opinion, too many losses and too many teams with 0 success to be any of the above. 

well there you again, creating a necessary condition out of thin air.  I guess the thin air compensates for your density.

1 minute ago, Scott Dierking said:

I know that this is difficult for you to comprehend here (based on your seeming inability to process what I what I have written here elsewhere), but Mcknown is a "bridge. The Jets knew they were drafting a qb when they signed him, and they need that could be that bridge to play until that qb is ready. The Jets thinking , and it is confirmed in league circles is that Mcknown, that he also serves a s terrific mentor Double win!!!!

Name the qb that was available when the Jets made this move that you preferred.

The money they are paying him is a short term deal, and it did not prohibit them from signing anyone else for other parts of the team.

I am not sure what mentorship has to do with w/l records, or qb's in tha past 49 years. That seems like small-minded thinking that is just bitter over the past. That is not the way you run an organization.

If you want to rant for the sake of ranting, have at it. Just ton't expect evryone to agree with your delusion.

What other team would have payed Josh McCown $10 million and before him Ryan Fitzpatrick.  

If I don't agree with you it becomes a comprehension thing in short of a personal attack which I'm sure is coming. 

You have your opinions and I have mine. 

49 years and counting............

3 minutes ago, Dcat said:

well there you again, creating a necessary condition out of thin air.  I guess the thin air compensates for your density.

Did you not read OPINION the only factual information I have posted is 23-50 as an NFL starter,10 NFL teams 1 Canadian team, 0 NFL success. 

Please some factual information on other teams success with a mentor type QB in place that they are also paying $10 million a year..

Archived