I need a new hobby. Any suggestions???

Lith

For most of the last 35 years, I have been a runner.  Couple of years ago, I had to give it up -- just too may aches and pains from the knee down.  Last summer, I took up cycling.  I had been a triathlete back in the 1980s, so I had done quite a bit of cycling in the past.  I dusted off the 30-year old bike and got back out on the road.  Was having a blast until I crashed in August.  4 broken ribs had me laid up for most of September, but I got back on the road again after I healed up.

Then, yesterday, out riding in the morning with 4 other guys.  Foggy morning and it had rained over night, so the roads were still a bit wet in spots.  We got to a railroad crossing that was wet and I went down.  Bruised and a bit of road rash, but the scary part was the concussion.  Yes, I was wearing a helmet.  I don't remember falling, don't know if I hit my head or not.   My friends said it didn't look like my head hit, and there was no sign of impact on the helmet, but considering the way I felt, there had to have been some sort of head trauma.  I remember approaching the RR tracks and then getting up, unsteady on my feet.  I got back on the bike (probably should not have) and had to follow the guys about 20 miles back home.  I had no idea where I was.  Never would have known how to get home if I was riding alone.  And these are roads I ride all of the time.  

After I got home, my wife took me to the ER.  For the second time in less than a year.  CT scan was normal.  ER doc said it was a mild concussion.  If this is what a mild one feels like, I can't imagine what a bad one is like.  I was in a fog all day yesterday.  Could not answer simple questions about my medical history at the ER.  Today, the fog in my head has lifted.  I feel a lot better.  Body is still sore, but the brain seems to be working.

Two trips to the ER in about 9 months: 4 broken ribs, a concussion, multiple bruises and road rash.  Maybe middle aged guys are just not made to be darting around in spandex.  I need to find a safer hobby.  I am thinking drinking beer, watching sports and getting fat might be an option, but I am open to suggestions.

Damn. That's scary but glad to hear you're okay. I don't think you would need to give up cycling totally. Maybe take a break for a while and then come back to it. And just be careful about it, no more trips while it's wet out, only clear dry paths, etc. It's not your age that made you crash over the crossing. 

As for a suggestion...Not sure if there's anywhere around where you live to do so but fishing is probably my go to hobby. I love it, can do it all day and I know nothing about the actual sport. I just guess at what bait to buy after a quick google search and throw it out there. It's relaxing and exciting if they're biting. And the great part, you can still do it even if you choose to drink beer and get fat! 

41 minutes ago, MDL_JET said:

Damn. That's scary but glad to hear you're okay. I don't think you would need to give up cycling totally. Maybe take a break for a while and then come back to it. And just be careful about it, no more trips while it's wet out, only clear dry paths, etc. It's not your age that made you crash over the crossing. 

As for a suggestion...Not sure if there's anywhere around where you live to do so but fishing is probably my go to hobby. I love it, can do it all day and I know nothing about the actual sport. I just guess at what bait to buy after a quick google search and throw it out there. It's relaxing and exciting if they're biting. And the great part, you can still do it even if you choose to drink beer and get fat! 

Thanks.  Fishing is not my thing. Worst part of this is I just put down about $1,600 on a new bike about two weeks ago.

And if it was just me, I would probably be back out there riding next week, once the bruises heal.  But I just took it up again a year ago.  Its not like its been part of my life for 30+ years.  And I can't do that to my wife & daughter-- eveytime I head out of the house, they will be afraid that we will end up in the ER again.  I will still ride on the trainer a couple of days a week to stay in shape, and the occasional ride in the neighborhood, but heading out on the road again for serious 30-40 mile rides, after two near-serious injuries.  Just not worth it.  I hate to even think about what could have happened it I was not wearing a helmet, or if a car was coming up alongside me as I went down.  Maybe I will feel differently about it in a month or two, but for now, its not worth the risk.

Yikes. I had a mild Concussion 2 years ago, not fun. 

2 of my friends are into woodworking and make stuff for people. Simple chairs and signs all the way up to tables and art 

They say it's very relaxing and rewarding because they don't charge for it and they are making gifts 

2 hours ago, Lith said:

For most of the last 35 years, I have been a runner.  Couple of years ago, I had to give it up -- just too may aches and pains from the knee down.  Last summer, I took up cycling.  I had been a triathlete back in the 1980s, so I had done quite a bit of cycling in the past.  I dusted off the 30-year old bike and got back out on the road.  Was having a blast until I crashed in August.  4 broken ribs had me laid up for most of September, but I got back on the road again after I healed up.

Then, yesterday, out riding in the morning with 4 other guys.  Foggy morning and it had rained over night, so the roads were still a bit wet in spots.  We got to a railroad crossing that was wet and I went down.  Bruised and a bit of road rash, but the scary part was the concussion.  Yes, I was wearing a helmet.  I don't remember falling, don't know if I hit my head or not.   My friends said it didn't look like my head hit, and there was no sign of impact on the helmet, but considering the way I felt, there had to have been some sort of head trauma.  I remember approaching the RR tracks and then getting up, unsteady on my feet.  I got back on the bike (probably should not have) and had to follow the guys about 20 miles back home.  I had no idea where I was.  Never would have known how to get home if I was riding alone.  And these are roads I ride all of the time.  

After I got home, my wife took me to the ER.  For the second time in less than a year.  CT scan was normal.  ER doc said it was a mild concussion.  If this is what a mild one feels like, I can't imagine what a bad one is like.  I was in a fog all day yesterday.  Could not answer simple questions about my medical history at the ER.  Today, the fog in my head has lifted.  I feel a lot better.  Body is still sore, but the brain seems to be working.

Two trips to the ER in about 9 months: 4 broken ribs, a concussion, multiple bruises and road rash.  Maybe middle aged guys are just not made to be darting around in spandex.  I need to find a safer hobby.  I am thinking drinking beer, watching sports and getting fat might be an option, but I am open to suggestions.

Glad your ok. Open water kayaking is nice certain time of the year. I love to fish so I usually do those two together.  Yet a lot like drinking beer, staying fat and watching sports it’s a bit seasonal. 

Shooting sporting  clays or skeet is a lot of fun too. Doesn’t do a lot for keeping  in shape but it’s a lot more fun than golf in my humble opinion. 

1 hour ago, joewilly12 said:

Have you looked into the Peloton exercise bike I know its costly but looks like it would be fun and safe. 

I already have a smart trainer.  Mount my bike on it and I can "ride" virtually anywhere in world.  Through my nieghborhood or a stage in the Tour de France.  No need for a peloton, since the trainer accomplishes the same thing, for alot less $$$.  Still plan to ride this way in the basement to stay in shape, but its not the same as getting outside and riding with friends.

1 hour ago, Kleckineau said:

Motorcycles are my hobby. Try it you may love it. 

Dude, I struggle staying upright on a bicycle at 18-20 mph.  I am supposed to hop on a crotch rocket at 3 times the speed.  Glad you enjoy it, but no thanks. And don't tempt fate, never ride withouot a helmet.

1 hour ago, The Crusher said:

Glad your ok. Open water kayaking is nice certain time of the year. I love to fish so I usually do those two together.  Yet a lot like drinking beer, staying fat and watching sports it’s a bit seasonal. 

Shooting sporting  clays or skeet is a lot of fun too. Doesn’t do a lot for keeping  in shape but it’s a lot more fun than golf in my humble opinion. 

I like the kayaking idea.  There are some kayak/canoe rental places around here (nothern illinois).  Maybe I will check that out next nice weekend we get.  Really want to find something that will give me a chance to get outside a bit.

1 minute ago, Lith said:

I like the kayaking idea.  There are some kayak/canoe rental places around here (nothern illinois).  Maybe I will check that out next nice weekend we get.  Really want to find something that will give me a chance to get outside a bit.

Image result for deliverance rafting pics

I half dropped a bar bell on  my face this morning whole doing the bench press.  Was a level of weight i have done many times before but this time I was going too fast, got off balance and before i knew it the thing was on me and I felt weak as a kitten.  Another dude helped me out.  Aside from the massive embarrassment.  I need to cut back on the weights.

1 hour ago, Lith said:

I already have a smart trainer.  Mount my bike on it and I can "ride" virtually anywhere in world.  Through my nieghborhood or a stage in the Tour de France.  No need for a peloton, since the trainer accomplishes the same thing, for alot less $$$.  Still plan to ride this way in the basement to stay in shape, but its not the same as getting outside and riding with friends.

Dude, I struggle staying upright on a bicycle at 18-20 mph.  I am supposed to hop on a crotch rocket at 3 times the speed.  Glad you enjoy it, but no thanks. And don't tempt fate, never ride withouot a helmet.

It’s nice. Very mellow. I do it to cruise around catch fish. I can delude myself into believing I made fishing exercise. But know plenty of people just do it for the reason of getting out. Some people put some serious time on them with groups and friends. Just a thought. Good luck with it. 

5 hours ago, Beerfish said:

I half dropped a bar bell on  my face this morning whole doing the bench press.  Was a level of weight i have done many times before but this time I was going too fast, got off balance and before i knew it the thing was on me and I felt weak as a kitten.  Another dude helped me out.  Aside from the massive embarrassment.  I need to cut back on the weights.

Image result for old jacked up dude pics

8 hours ago, Lith said:

Never did ride without a brain bucket. Ever. At this stage of life I limit risk which means I stopped flat track racing and motocross 15 years ago. Nowadays I only ride my Harley Deluxe early Sunday mornings to the beach and hang with some other like minded riders for an hour or so then ride along Ocean Parkway and go home. Being in the wind like that its like going to church for me.

Maybe martial arts? Tai Chi ?

1 hour ago, The Crimson King said:

Zap Rowsdower !!!!

A true Canadian hero

Now someone reboot the kid and give him some Larry Csonka memorabilia ...

Best damn episode ever 

I tracked down the VHS tape of the actual movie about 15 years ago and it’s damn near as funny on its own.

18 hours ago, Lith said:

Thanks.  Fishing is not my thing. Worst part of this is I just put down about $1,600 on a new bike about two weeks ago.

And if it was just me, I would probably be back out there riding next week, once the bruises heal.  But I just took it up again a year ago.  Its not like its been part of my life for 30+ years.  And I can't do that to my wife & daughter-- eveytime I head out of the house, they will be afraid that we will end up in the ER again.  I will still ride on the trainer a couple of days a week to stay in shape, and the occasional ride in the neighborhood, but heading out on the road again for serious 30-40 mile rides, after two near-serious injuries.  Just not worth it.  I hate to even think about what could have happened it I was not wearing a helmet, or if a car was coming up alongside me as I went down.  Maybe I will feel differently about it in a month or two, but for now, its not worth the risk.

If you have a trainer, check out zwift if you haven't already. Just bought my first "road-ish" bike this winter, Specialized Diverge E5 Comp. Haven't had a lot of time on it yet due to the wintery spring we had and the surgery I am recouping from, but I love it so far.

As for other hobbies, I used to sail and yacht race. I also cook/BBQ. Haven't gotten into it but beer brewing seems interesting.

So..  were probably about the same age. I took up Spanish 2 years ago and it has dominated ALL of my free time. I don't know how to explain it but I am hooked.  I have traveled to Spain and Mexico to do "immersion programs". I SKYPE with someone from Bolivia and someone from Argentina weekly and I frequent my local Columbian restaurant as well. I never watch basic TV anymore. I read books in Spanish and I am watching "Better call Saul" in Spanish.

Si te gustaria, te puedo mandar sugerencias en la manera mejor para comenzar.  Tambien, veo las noticias en espanol.  

Jackie+Guerrido-Puerto+Rico-.jpg

10 hours ago, joebabyny said:

If you have a trainer, check out zwift if you haven't already. Just bought my first "road-ish" bike this winter, Specialized Diverge E5 Comp. Haven't had a lot of time on it yet due to the wintery spring we had and the surgery I am recouping from, but I love it so far.

As for other hobbies, I used to sail and yacht race. I alsoc ook/BBQ. cHaven't gotten into it but beer brewing seems interesting.

Better.

Metal detecting is fun, especially if you can find some good beaches or old sites where people may have dropped money. It will help keep you active as well. You can get a decent machine for a couple hundred bucks and you're ready to go. 

latest?cb=20130303084231

I saw a 72-y/o walk into my BJJ gym and take up the practice recently. Just sayin. Boxing is always good to go, and you don't need to spar and/or get punched in the face to gain the benefits of the training. Yoga is pretty much a martial art that you do against yourself, so there's that too, plus it's cheap and easily accessible.

The thing about things like kayaking and climbing...etc, is they require planning and a lot of time. If you're looking for something to do on a regular basis you have to think more practically.

On 5/20/2018 at 1:38 PM, Beerfish said:

Shut up and lift. 

6 hours ago, RutgersJetFan said:

I saw a 72-y/o walk into my BJJ gym and take up the practice recently. Just sayin. Boxing is always good to go, and you don't need to spar and/or get punched in the face to gain the benefits of the training. Yoga is pretty much a martial art that you do against yourself, so there's that too, plus it's cheap and easily accessible.

The thing about things like kayaking and climbing...etc, is they require planning and a lot of time. If you're looking for something to do on a regular basis you have to think more practically.

Serious question: how in the world do you find the time to stay as active as you do, keep abreast of all things sports/trivia/pop culture and still find time to hold down a job, a relationship and you know, sleep? I'm genuinely impressed, my friend. 

Anyway, back on topic (kind of), I also will throw out a thumbs-up for boxing. It's a great workout and stress-reliever. I've been messing with a heavy bag on and off for about a year and I just ordered a speed bag, which I'm really looking forward to getting into. 

I probably wouldn't ever actually step into the ring with someone else, though. Every time I consider it I always think of that Richard Pryor routine about getting his ass kicked the first time he boxed another person. 

9 hours ago, Bombdirt said:

Serious question: how in the world do you find the time to stay as active as you do, keep abreast of all things sports/trivia/pop culture and still find time to hold down a job, a relationship and you know, sleep? I'm genuinely impressed, my friend. 

Anyway, back on topic (kind of), I also will throw out a thumbs-up for boxing. It's a great workout and stress-reliever. I've been messing with a heavy bag on and off for about a year and I just ordered a speed bag, which I'm really looking forward to getting into. 

I probably wouldn't ever actually step into the ring with someone else, though. Every time I consider it I always think of that Richard Pryor routine about getting his ass kicked the first time he boxed another person. 

LOL, I think my wife would say it comes at the expense of her, both literally and figuratively. 

It’s hard to explain, I have a pretty busy mind so I’m always finding ways to squeeze things in and multitask if I can. I listen to music or books when I’m working. Things like sports are easy to keep up with because I can play them in the background while I’m working, and I’m always finding time in my day for training. For me it’s not negotiable. Training, diet and exercise come first on my schedule because I feel it dictates everything in my life, from how I work to how I am as a husband and obviously my energy and sleep. I make a list of what I owe to myself at the beginning of the week and I force myself to find the time; which right now is at least 2 strength workouts, 4 BJJ sessions, 2 boxing, and 2 total hours of mobility and yoga broken up however I want. 

Things fall by the wayside sometimes because I go through periods where I prioritize some things over others based on what my mind is interested in at the time. For example I’m not following comics heavily right now or climbing a ton because fighting and combat sports have been occupying my mind so much the past couple years. But the knowledge is always there, so I guess a lot of it is residual.

One other thing that has helped a lot from a time standpoint is intermittent fasting. Since I’m not tethered to food and meals all day it frees up a lot of time for other stuff. 

1 hour ago, RutgersJetFan said:

Serious question: how in the world do you find the time to stay as active as you do, keep abreast of all things sports/trivia/pop culture and still find time to hold down a job, a relationship and you know, sleep? I'm genuinely impressed

Speaking for myself only of course but about 25 years ago I was  feeling much older than my age and just kinda sluggin through life with diminished energy, stamina and disturbed sleep waking every hour or 2. I consulted with doctors who diagnosed chronic fatigue syndrome and a psychiatrist who told me I was depressed. Long story short after no help from them someone recommended a nutritionist who layed out a diet (no processed foods) and advised me never to sleep more than 5-6 hrs per night with the premise being oversleeping leads to disturbed sleep and fatigue.

In a month I felt like a new person. My energy level returned to normal and I would sleep without waking until my desired wake time. The sleep part took some time to get used to but after awhile I would fall asleep in about a minute at 11pm and wake up without an alarm every day at 4-430am feeling fully rested and that is how it remains today. Probably the best health advice I ever received.

Archived