Report: No Playoff Mandate for Jets’ Bowles

JetNation

IMG_1460.jpg

Jets fans hoping that the fate of head coach Todd Bowles rests on the whether or not the team makes the post-season won’t be big fans of this bit of news.

Kristian Dyer of Metro reports here that  a source within the organization has said that for the second consecutive season, there is no playoff mandate for Bowles, who is coming off of consecutive 5-11 seasons.  Whether you like Bowles or not, a case can be made for this being a sound decision on the part of ownership.

Has Bowles failed to live up to his billing as a “defensive genius”?  Absolutely.  He’s seen his team blow several late leads while losing several games against teams who have very little firepower on offense.  Even still, this season shouldn’t be about the team’s final record, but about how and when those wins and losses come.

If the season is an up and down roller coaster of wins and losses with his defense once again blowing big leads on a regular basis, Bowles should be shown the door.

Should Bowles see his team get off to a slow start, something along the lines of 3-5 for example, before turning it around in the second half under Sam Darnold and end the season at 8-8 or 9-6, it would be a clear indication that the team is heading the right way under Bowles and blowing the whole thing up wouldn’t be the answer.

The Jets have seen enough head coaches come and go and Bowles could very well be the next.  But simply demanding a playoff appearance from a team that is in year two of a rebuild wouldn’t make any sense, even taking all of Bowles’ past failures in to account.  More than ever, this season won’t be about how Bowles’ team starts, but how they finish.

The post Report: No Playoff Mandate for Jets’ Bowles appeared first on NY Jets News.

Jetnationcom?d=yIl2AUoC8zA Jetnationcom?d=qj6IDK7rITs
83Ua9EDmXGc

Click here to read the full story...

how can u give the guy a playoff mandate after an off-season where essentially got him a corner and a rookie QB. That's just dumb.

If you were going to give him a playoff mandate this year, then you should have fired him after last season was over. If anything you want:

- improvement across the board

- proper handling of the QB's and most importantly Darnold

maybe playoffs aren't the yea/nay criteria but this team has got to play a lot better.  like the article said, the defense has to play much better and while some of those blown late leads can be pinned on the offensive issues a lot were just plain bad defense.  bowles is supposed to be defense guru.  he wanted and needs good safety and corner play.  no excuses this season.  and let's not forget the special teams needs to play better as does the offense.

I have been very critical of Bowles, I don't think he is good(though I hope he develops into a good HC) BUT I think playoff mandates are stupid.  So many things can happen during a season that are out of the HCs control.  The season needs to be evaluated based on everything that happens not some preseason prediction.  a year ago people thought we could go 0-16 and they think Bowles did a good job b/c we won 5 games when in reality he did a poor job, that team should have won a bunch more games.

We're going to be starting a rookie QB, of course there isn't a mandate to make the playoffs.

There should be a mandate that the team, particularly the young defensive players, improve. Too much has been invested in this defense for it not to be in the upper half of the league -- really it should be in the top ten.

If Sam plays early and well most of us, including Chris Johnson will be too enamored with that too care about the record as long as it’s .500 or better.

If it’s not Chris Johnson will be talking about his new young QB and cap space to the next coach of the NYJs. I think it’s that simple. 

Waiting on the Albert Breer piece detailing how, in 2015, everyone in the Jets front offices sat down and mapped out a plan to go 6-10 in 2018, and then the PR director texted Mike Maccagnan asking where he was at and it was so zany.

22 minutes ago, T0mShane said:

Waiting on the Albert Breer piece detailing how, in 2015, everyone in the Jets front offices sat down and mapped out a plan to go 6-10 in 2018, and then the PR director texted Mike Maccagnan asking where he was at and it was so zany.

6-10 and they go shopping for a new coach. Jet head coaching job finally has some reasonable curb value at this point. It’s at least 1-2 steps  above a foreclosure fixer upper at this point. Shabby sheik sells baby. 

3 minutes ago, The Crusher said:

6-10 and they go shopping for a new coach. Jet head coaching job finally has some reasonable curb value at this point. It’s at least 1-2 steps  above a foreclosure fixer upper at this point. Shabby sheik sells baby. 

Knowing how weak and stupid the Johnson bros are 6-10 probably gets both Mac and Bowles another extension

32 minutes ago, The Crusher said:

If Sam plays early and well most of us, including Chris Johnson will be too enamored with that too care about the record as long as it’s .500 or better.

If it’s not Chris Johnson will be talking about his new young QB and cap space to the next coach of the NYJs. I think it’s that simple. 

No one agrees but I actually think we have a shot at 9-7 and wildcard if Sam plays by week 8

As someone once said:PLAYOFFS....YOU KIDDIN ME? Unless something drastic changes and Bowles actually becomes a HC who can make in game changes that work and get this team to play a full game maybe, in a year or two, this team can talk playoffs. Its early to be talking about this. Especially since you don't know who will be starting at key multiple positions including QB, WR, OL. Bowles has a long way to go as an HC to put together a consistent winner and hopefully he can grow as a HC to achieve that. Personally I don't see it but I guess anything is possible.

25 minutes ago, Philc1 said:

Knowing how weak and stupid the Johnson bros are 6-10 probably gets both Mac and Bowles another extension

Woody has earned that and I agree. I’m willing to give Chris the benefit of the doubt at this point. He is showing modest proof he may be learning as he go’s. We’ll see. 

25 minutes ago, Philc1 said:

No one agrees but I actually think we have a shot at 9-7 and wildcard if Sam plays by week 8

Anything is possible but Sam will have to play at the level of elevating his team in order for that to happen. Still short a few players in very important spots.

This team isnt good enough to elevate a young signal caller in my opinion. Most of the time young QBs come in and have instant success, it’s with a very good roster.

But, Sam is the man so I’m looking forward to this season more than any Other in a very long time. 

36 minutes ago, The Crusher said:

Just too hard to see them hanging a 6-10, 7-9 season around Bowles neck if Darnold gets 10 starts, and even if they did, it sounds a lot like they’d just promote Bates to the HC job. But, in my mind, Imaginary Shadow GM Brian Heimerdinger is already texting one of the bright, young iffensive genius coaches in the league about taking over in 2019 once Macc and Bowles are dumped. 

6 minutes ago, T0mShane said:

Just too hard to see them hanging a 6-10, 7-9 season around Bowles neck if Darnold gets 10 starts, and even if they did, it sounds a lot like they’d just promote Bates to the HC job. But, in my mind, Imaginary Shadow GM Brian Heimerdinger is already texting one of the bright, young iffensive genius coaches in the league about taking over in 2019 once Macc and Bowles are dumped. 

I mean the one thing I’ve said for awhile is Bowles never really had that much talent to work with. Not an excuse but just an observation. Also, nobody would come near this team to coach it before the Darnold pick. 

Cant help but think Chris Johnson and  Heimerdimger aren’t expecting a little more this season. Rookie QB or not I think Bowles on some level needs to prove he belongs here as the head coach.

if Sam plays good and they still lose  do to some of the coaching boners we have seen in his tenure I think we can see Bowles gone. 

Every good snap Sam takes will make it easier and easier to improve the coaching staff. That’s what the highest potential QB being drafted by a team does. I think so anyways. Wouldn’t know for sure. 

They obviously don't need to reach the playoffs but they can't remain stuck in mud being average. At some point they have to push forward a bit. Especially on defense. 

And if Darnold plays a good chunk of the season, that'll obviously be the deciding factor because you can't just fire the offensive coordinator again while keeping Bowles around if he doesn't play well. 

I think everyone stays another year, Darnold would have to look totally lost for this thing to blow up.

I have no big issue with not making changes reliant on playoffs.  You have to evaluate the coach on everything he does.  Bowles to this point has been a terrible coach on several levels.  Much like rex, he has shown no improvement in the areas he is weak at and does not acknowledge the it.

He can go 9-7 this year and if he coaches like he has the last two years i'd fire him

Archived