Cimini: Best Way To Describe Jets' QB Situation: It's Compicated

flgreen

Best way to describe Jets' QB situation: It's complicated

9:29 AM ET
  • cimini_rich.png&w=160&h=160&scale=crop
    Rich CiminiESPN Staff Writer
  •  

FLORHAM PARK, N.J. -- The New York Jets' quarterback situation has as many juicy layers as a pastrami sandwich from the famed Katz's Deli in Manhattan.

Four quarterbacks, four distinct stories: The golden boy. The old dude. The reclamation project. The mystery man.

They will be on the field Tuesday for the start of OTA practices, the prelim for what promises to be a compelling and potentially tumultuous summer. Right now, there are more questions than answers, such as:

1. Who is the current starter, and does it really matter?

Incumbent Josh McCown is the No. 1 quarterback and will go into training camp as such, according to coach Todd Bowles. But that doesn't mean he will be the Week 1 starter. McCown, who turns 39 on July 4, is a placeholder until first-round pick Sam Darnold is ready to take over. One of the benefits of having McCown on the team is that he doesn't need a lot of reps to get ready, so it wouldn't be a surprise if he doesn't play much in the preseason.

Jets rookies Sam Darnold and Trenton Cannon are a captive audience as offensive coordinator Jeremy Bates demonstrates a drill during the Jets' rookie minicamp on May 5. Julio Cortez/AP Photo

2. Realistically, when will the Darnold era begin?

First of all, let's tap the brakes, shall we? For all his upside, Darnold is a very young quarterback (he turns 21 on June 5) who needs to be coached out of some bad habits he developed during his 22-turnover campaign in 2017. The worst thing the Jets could do is rush him into the lineup to satisfy impatient fans and media members.

"I think he's in a perfect situation, going to New York with Josh McCown, Teddy Bridgewater," former Jets quarterback Chad Pennington said last week on ESPN's Get Up! morning show. "He gets a chance to be patient. ... This needs to be a long-term process for Sam and the Jets, but I think they set themselves up nicely with a quarterback who can lead them in the future for a long time to come. There's no doubt about it."

Let's be honest: It isn't a great offense in which to break in a rookie. There's no No. 1 receiver, and there are no proven pass-catchers at tight end. It's also a new offensive scheme, which means the veterans will be learning, too.

Prediction: McCown will emerge as the starter because he's a stabilizing force, but Darnold will take over by Halloween. Look for him to get plenty of reps in the 10 OTA practices.

3. How does Bridgewater fit?

Bridgewater is the wild card because his role could range anywhere from starter to left out. He also could be trade bait. Frankly, the former Minnesota Vikingsstarter is the most fascinating veteran on the team because of his well-documented comeback from a horrific knee injury in 2016. Can he get back to being the quarterback who helped the Vikings to the NFC North title in 2015?

He likely will be limited in OTAs because of his surgically repaired left knee, but the Jets are confident that he will be 100 percent by training camp. There has been a lot of speculation about his health, some of it fueled by Vikings coach Mike Zimmer, but the Jets believe their rehab plan will make him as good as new. For a $500,000 guarantee, they believed it was a worthwhile risk-reward investment.

If Bridgewater flops, they cut him. If he excels, they could give him a shot at the starting job or trade him. They wouldn't get much in return because he's signed only through the season, but there's always a desperate team.

4. Are Christian Hackenberg's days numbered?

Probably, but the plan is to bring him to training camp. Whether he makes it to the regular season is another story, one that likely hinges on Bridgewater's health. General manager Mike Maccagnan might be the lone wolf on this, but his opinion is the one that matters most, and he doesn't want to give up on Hackenberg, who sat for two seasons.

Hackenberg still has practice-squad eligibility, so he could conceivably be stashed there if he clears waivers, but that would be cruel and unusual punishment for a former second-round pick.

A mind-blowing factoid on Hackenberg: He's one of only five second-round picks in the past 11 years who didn't play a single regular-season down in his first two seasons, according to ESPN Stats & Information. But wait, there's more: The other four suffered major injuries.

Hackenberg will unveil his revamped throwing motion in OTAs. Looking for a faster release, he shortened his delivery, perhaps in a last-ditch effort to salvage his career. Of the four quarterbacks, he has the most riding on these OTAs.

1 minute ago, New York Mick said:

Nothing complicated about it. The best person plays till Darnold is ready then he takes over. 

Pretty much straight forward. Josh or Teddy plays depending on Teddy’s health until Sam proves otherwise. Hack go’s to practice squad. Profit. 

Unless darnold lays a turd in training camp he is the week 1 starter.   

the Jets didn't draft darnold to sit and you don't get any better from the bench.    this team will take it's lumps but the goal is '19 and beyond and a i don't see how a hackshirt season benefits darnold.   

It's a BIT complicated. But only b/c there are numerous factors that need to play themselves out before a starter is named. Right now it's McCown coming in as last year's starter with open competition for someone to take that position away from him. 

Factors:

- Injuries: Which QBs will be fully healthy to start week one. McCown is a tough guy but he is also 38. If he gets hurt it changes the whole QB competition and depth chart. If Darnold gets banged up AT ALL during pre-season or camp, the Jets will be wary to start him right away, even if they think he is ready and will be healthy. Will Teddy be able to play, at all? We still don't really know. And what if Teddy get hurt again, Darnold looks like he is struggling to pick things up and Hack looks miles ahead of where he was last year. It could very well be McCown, Hack and Darnold at 3rd string with Teddy cut. 

- Competition/play: Assuming ALL are healthy, a lot will determine how these guys look in pre-season and camp. If Teddy doesn't look as sharp as he used to (even if he is 100% healthy) the Jets may straight up cut him. This leaves room on the roster for Hack. McCown is a proven vet so it's unlikely he will be cut or he has an oddly poor showing in camp, but if Darnold is outplaying him and looks like he is ready to take over immediately, the Jets could very well roll with the rookie and have McCown as a capable, reliable back-up. If Darnold looks lost and Teddy is not what he used to be, we could very well see Hack emerge. Has he improved vastly this past offseason...unlikely, but possible- he could be the backup. Point being, TO A CERTAIN EXTENT, there WILL be competition that will determine who stays, who goes, and who is where on the depth chart.  

- Potential for a trade: If Teddy looks sharp and is 100% healthy while the rest of the QB crew are healthy and look good in camp as well, Teddy could very well be traded. Why not? There could very well be a WIN NOW team that needs a solid backup in case their starter gets hurt. What if Hack looks miles ahead of where he was last year...call me crazy but there may be interest in him. 

Personally, I agree with most others that barring any serious injury, Hack will be the odd man out and be cut or placed on PS while McCown starts, Darnold is backup and Teddy is insurance or trade bait throughout the season.          

42 minutes ago, FTL Jet Fan said:

I still don't know why I let myself read this goof's crap. 

because there is little else out there during this downtime of the season to give you your "fix" of the Gang Green Football. $hitmini is a pusher of NY Jets "news" and speculations.:D

2 hours ago, flgreen said:

Prediction: McCown will emerge as the starter because he's a stabilizing force, but Darnold will take over by Halloween. Look for him to get plenty of reps in the 10 OTA practices.

"By Halloween" is a weak-ass prediction. That's practically a worst-case scenario. 

He's right about McCown not needing a ton of reps, though, and the Jets will take advantage of that by giving Darnold an immersive course in Qb'ing. Not just the OTAs, but right thru training camp, with a lot of playing time in the preseason. The goal will be to get him ready to start ASAP. 

I continue to not see him as the opening day starter for all of the reasons I (and others) have listed before. Opening on national TV, three games in 11 days, 3/4 on the road, new offense, new zone blocking scheme, new center. I agree with Cimini again that McCown is a stabilizing force, and that they'd be wise to start him during that four-game opening stretch. After that, the benefits of watching from the sidelines will be diminishing, and the Jets will have three straight games at home. Time to get Darnold in there. 

The only complication, if there is one, is Bridgewater. Is he healthy? How many of Darnold's reps do they give him? Is he really potential trade bait? If so, they'll want to showcase him. Otherwise, it's all about Sam.  

2 hours ago, flgreen said:

Hackenberg will unveil his revamped throwing motion in OTAs. Looking for a faster release, he shortened his delivery, perhaps in a last-ditch effort to salvage his career. Of the four quarterbacks, he has the most riding on these OTAs.

Why would a guy with accuracy problems be seeking a faster release?  Shouldn't he be seeking, you know, more accuracy? 

I don't think we should put off starting Darnold for too long.  The guy had only one season of HS football at QB under his belt (he was hurt his junior year) when USC threw him into the fire.  He needs snaps.  He is tough.  Let's get this under way.

19 minutes ago, slats said:

"By Halloween" is a weak-ass prediction. That's practically a worst-case scenario. 

He's right about McCown not needing a ton of reps, though, and the Jets will take advantage of that by giving Darnold an immersive course in Qb'ing. Not just the OTAs, but right thru training camp, with a lot of playing time in the preseason. The goal will be to get him ready to start ASAP. 

I continue to not see him as the opening day starter for all of the reasons I (and others) have listed before. Opening on national TV, three games in 11 days, 3/4 on the road, new offense, new zone blocking scheme, new center. I agree with Cimini again that McCown is a stabilizing force, and that they'd be wise to start him during that four-game opening stretch. After that, the benefits of watching from the sidelines will be diminishing, and the Jets will have three straight games at home. Time to get Darnold in there. 

The only complication, if there is one, is Bridgewater. Is he healthy? How many of Darnold's reps do they give him? Is he really potential trade bait? If so, they'll want to showcase him. Otherwise, it's all about Sam.  

This.... and I would want them to give all the Pre season reps to Teddy and Sam. I would even want Teddy starting the first month, if healthy and looking good in PS, and let McCown be in Sam's ear the whole game showing him how to read the defense and how to play call to take advantage of the Defense. I hope McCown doesn't play a snap all season. Teddy through week 5, then Sam plays the rest of the season.... as long as the OL is playing well.

49 minutes ago, flgreen said:

IMO week 5 is the time for Darnold...............unless of course the Jets are 2-2 or better, then Bowles will play Mccown until they are eliminated 

I think if darnold doesn’t beat McCown out to start, and unless josh does pretty bad first 4 games the bye week is most likely. I know it’s Late this yr. mid nov. The bye week has always been the conservative coaches preference to make a qb switch. Especially with a rookie.  We all know Todd Bowles is on top of that list.

You could very well be right. 

I just think week 5 would be good after the gauntlet the first 4 games will be, then they have, I believe, 4 straight home games.  Fans will be thrilled to see him, and team will still be playing for something.

JMO 

6 hours ago, johnnysd said:

Not complicated at all. Darnold will start Day 1. Just listen to the info coming out of the Jets organization.

here's to hoping.  at this point it looks like mccown will start the season but i can't see how they can keep darnold on the bench if he shows good things in camp, especially if he wins over the team.  imo not having a true no. receiver is not a problem as long as the rest of the group does their job.

5 hours ago, #27TheDominator said:

Why would a guy with accuracy problems be seeking a faster release?  Shouldn't he be seeking, you know, more accuracy? 

Elementary....Watson. That sure makes the most sense.

1 hour ago, flgreen said:

You could very well be right. 

I just think week 5 would be good after the gauntlet the first 4 games will be, then they have, I believe, 4 straight home games.  Fans will be thrilled to see him, and team will still be playing for something.

JMO 

Some were  suggesting week 4 after the 3 games in 10 days.  That may seem daunting, but I think the Lions, Browns and Dolphins all have sh*tty defenses.  Trouble with week 4 is the Jags and the NFL's #2 ranked D. After that there are 3 home games.  Week 5 is the Broncos who are good in ypg allowed, but give up a points, the Colts with a sh*tty D and the Vikings #1 D.  

Complicated is probably the worst way to describe Jets' QB Situation: more like compelling, exciting, maybe even intriguing - simple and straightforward

and Darnold does not need to start games to play meaning football and develop his NFL game - Montana appeared in all 16 regular season games during his rookie year without being named the full time starter, he became the full time starter his 2nd year, leading the league with 64.5% completion percentage, 3rd year, he won the Super Bowl

1 hour ago, Ohio State NY Jets fan said:

Complicated is probably the worst way to describe Jets' QB Situation: more like compelling, exciting, maybe even intriguing - simple and straightforward

and Darnold does not need to start games to play meaning football and develop his NFL game - Montana appeared in all 16 regular season games during his rookie year without being named the full time starter, he became the full time starter his 2nd year, leading the league with 64.5% completion percentage, 3rd year, he won the Super Bowl

Exactly. McCown knows he is not the future and accepts that 100%. Unlike the other NY football team. Giants couldn’t pick darnold because they knew Eli would have another hissy fit. Every bad game Eli had ny media would be asking if it’s time for darnold. It would be a PR nightmare for next two yrs. We should thank Eli for being a prima Donna or darnold would likely be a giant.

Cruel and unusual punishment to stash on practice squad?  No, it’s not. He will be available for any team to sign to the 53. If that doesn’t happen well it would say a lot wouldn’t it.

Archived